2015 Draft - 3rd pick: Ethan Bear (2017: Named WHL D-Man of the Year)

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
And all those "advantages" Benning had essentially amounts to him having more experience in the NHL. That's it. In all actual hockey skills and talent Bear trumps Benning. His shot is better, his passing is better, his vision is better, his instincts are better. Give Bear an equivalent time getting use to the NHL and it's not even close. I'll concede one thing Benning will do better if both has similar experience, and that's open ice hitting. But that's about it.

If you really don't think Bear will take Benning spot within 2 years, you better reassess how you evaluate talent.

Matt Benning was better in 2016-2017 than Bear was in 2018 and that is with both of them in their first year of pro hockey. Right now Benning is a third pair NHL defenseman. Bear has talent no doubt but what we saw to end the season was not an NHL defenseman yet. We all like Bear but he still has work to do. I think the reassessments that need to be made are how people evaluate Benning.

Reactions: Austerlitz

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Matt Benning was better in 2016-2017 than Bear was in 2018 and that is with both of them in their first year of pro hockey. Right now Benning is a third pair NHL defenseman. Bear has talent no doubt but what we saw to end the season was not an NHL defenseman yet. We all like Bear but he still has work to do. I think the reassessments that need to be made are how people evaluate Benning.
Benning is absolute garbage and doesn't belong in any playoff teams top 6.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
And all those "advantages" Benning had essentially amounts to him having more experience in the NHL. That's it. In all actual hockey skills and talent Bear trumps Benning. His shot is better, his passing is better, his vision is better, his instincts are better. Give Bear an equivalent time getting use to the NHL and it's not even close. I'll concede one thing Benning will do better if both has similar experience, and that's open ice hitting. But that's about it.

If you really don't think Bear will take Benning spot within 2 years, you better reassess how you evaluate talent.

Did I say that?

Here were your words: "His short stint in the NHL last season is already better than anything Benning's done." And I'm the one who needs to reassess how I evaluate talent?

Chalk it up to whatever you want, age... experience... whatever. The indisputable fact is that Matt Benning was a much better player in the NHL than Ethan Bear was last season. Both ends of the rink, in every conceivable way. Will Bear be better than Benning in the next 2 years? Maybe... it is far from a sure thing though. I'd put just as good odds that in 2 years time Ethan Bear will have spent the majority of his time in the AHL than he will have taken an NHL spot from Benning.

Reactions: slim2001

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really hope that he gets faster and stronger this offseason. If Bouchard isn't ready, I expect Bear to make the most of his opportunity next season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Well watching Benning for 2 years now and he's still not an NHL Defenceman. Bear atleast has he talent to become one, Bennings just a placeholder for an NHL team with ram defensive depth.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010

Sure, on the Oilers Benning is a third pairing NHL defensemen.

On most teams in the NHL he is an AHL defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad