Prospect Info: 2015 Development Camp

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Olson has made some good strides in his game. I would like to see him and Kosmo-Chuck take another step 4 wrd aftertheir 2nd full season in the AHL/

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Kosmachuk, Lodge, and to a lesser extent Copp, aren't looking quite so shiny and new anymore. Tough to judge from just one development camp, but none impressed that much.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Kosmachuk, Lodge, and to a lesser extent Copp, aren't looking quite so shiny and new anymore. Tough to judge from just one development camp, but none impressed that much.

I think Kosmo was always viewed, by most anyways, as a longer term project.

Lodge just flat out isn't that good IMO, I think there was some hope because he has decent size and a promising draft season, that has probably all but faded at this point.

Copp is fine, he's likely going to make the NHL by playing a solid possession and defensive game on the 4th line. He got massively overrated here for awhile and people were saying he had possible 2nd line upside or could replace Lowry on the 3rd but I think most understood that if your NCAA numbers are similar to guys like Jim Slater, the chances of that are pretty slim.

But as you said, it is just development camp and it mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
I think Kosmo was always viewed, by most anyways, as a longer term project.

Lodge just flat out isn't that good IMO, I think there was some hope because he has decent size and a promising draft season, that has probably all but faded at this point.

Copp is fine, he's likely going to make the NHL by playing a solid possession and defensive game on the 4th line. He got massively overrated here for awhile and people were saying he had possible 2nd line upside or could replace Lowry on the 3rd but I think most understood that if your NCAA numbers are similar to guys like Jim Slater, the chances of that are pretty slim.

But as you said, it is just development camp and it mean very little in the grand scheme of things.

SIGN ME UP!!!

:sarcasm:

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
With my prediction hat on....

I predict Copp to be a steady force for the Jets with a upgrade to the 4 th line with less impact than Lowery.
Kosmo-Chuk will keep improving and will be a tweener btw AHL and the Jets with slightly better results than Odell did with us in the next 3 years.
Lodge will bust and be AHL fodder on the AHL 4 th line having problems getting in the AHL line-up....... Unfortunate that we didn't go back to the Portland/WHL well and pick Bjorklund with that pick. It would have been fun with his play/sync with Pétan and Ehlers.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like who the Jets have in place to run their dev camp. Keane and Roy are good with the kids and Keith has a really good demeanour on the ice with the players. They have good staff in place to run this camp as a top notch camp and team builder. Their fitness staff and Dr. Craig are second to none too, gives the boys a good eye opener for what real camp will be like. Some of the boys went to check out journey and Im sure got to spend some time in the evening together to get to know each other, should be some really intense competition come TC this year and next.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
With my prediction hat on....

I predict Copp to be a steady force for the Jets with a upgrade to the 4 th line with less impact than Lowery.
Kosmo-Chuk will keep improving and will be a tweener btw AHL and the Jets with slightly better results than Odell did with us in the next 3 years.
Lodge will bust and be AHL fodder on the AHL 4 th line having problems getting in the AHL line-up....... Unfortunate that we didn't go back to the Portland/WHL well and pick Bjorklund with that pick. It would have been fun with his play/sync with Pétan and Ehlers.

I'd tend to agree with most, if not all of what you said.

jetkarma*

I heard...... he speared someone in the nuts.

That did not happen if you mean the incident where there was pushing during the scrimmage . I was in that corner at the glass taking a couple thousand pics . Just battling , nothing as egregious as what you mentioned .

jetkarma*

My Thoughts

Ehlers - Going through the motions but still so much skill. Can't wait for camp. Not too worried about him at all

Morrissey - He is great. He is almost ready. Its just a numbers game I think. He starts in the AHL but I think he gets called up and sticks. At best he is high end point producing LHD that plays in the top 2, at worst he is safe 25 point LHD on the 2nd pairing.

Petan - Just so good. Off the ice you can tell he has been working out like a mad man. Got to get those tree tunk legs and arms if you want to play in the NHL. I get the idea he could be a Boom/Bust prospect because you wonder if he can play a bottom 6 roll effectively but those worries are kind of fading for me

Armia - Hard to get a read on a guy who shouldn't be out there with teenagers. Just a big, highly skilled dominate winger. I can see why they are not too worried about bringing in UFAs when they have this guy ready to fill out the bottom 6.

Connor - As advertised just so much speed and skill. I was also impressed with his size. Going to be a dominate winger I think some day at the NHL level. Needs some time to fill out

Roslovic - Just one of those sneaky skill guys. The puck likes him. Knows the ice so well and were to be. I can see why he would fit in on top lines. I can see a line of Connor/Petan/Roslovic being oh so good in 5 years.

Poolman - Classic late bloomer. Big body and moves so good. He seems to be putting it together and I am curious to see how his numbers look at UND after this year. A darkhorse for sure

Olsen - For a guy who struggled his first year in pro, he looked pretty damm good out there. He seemingly has all the tools to be a good pro. I hope he can produce some more offense this year, he has a good shot a bottom 6 spot maybe next year.

Niku - Looks pretty solid. Not sure why he fell so much. Good combination of skill and skating. Not sure where he is playing next year.

Spacek - I think he will end up being a fav for HF board members because I think he is going to score at a prolific rate in Red Deer next season. Great release.

Nogier - Filling out that big body. Under rated offensive skill. Needs a couple of years in the AHL I think before he will slid into a 5/6 role.

Good review of the players .

Someone was asking me after the scrimmage if I thought we were going to sign a FA winger still , and I said maybe a low lever one because it should be pretty clear the Jets think / hope / expect either Armia or Ehlers to really push for the 3rd line RW spot .

I always take age into account when I envision what a player may be or could be , saying that Armia showed a lot ( as he should ) and Poolman definitely has a chance to play at the next level . This is a big year for him but he's got a lot of nice pieces to his game . Full time on D at UND will be a positive for him , then I would try sign him to play in the A next year .

The internal pressue is going to be a real positive for this franchise , the entitlement that was Atlanta is done and there's going to be competition for quality ice time for the Moose , that's a huge plus imo .

royalwoodJet

Dec 23, 2014
Nothing about Copp screamed to me, 'this guy needs to be in the NHL next year.' I think he'll be fine in time, but i think needs some time with the Moose first.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Nothing about Copp screamed to me, 'this guy needs to be in the NHL next year.' I think he'll be fine in time, but i think needs some time with the Moose first.

Yeah I'm not really sure why so many people were ready for him to be on our 4th. I haven't seen him play but I haven't heard any camp hype or seen impressive little league numbers.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
How do you say armia by the way? Is it army-a, or are-mya?

Neither. AR mia. In Finnish the accent is always on the first syllable. Rarely if ever are there other inflections later in words. Sometimes slightly in really long words. It's very monotone. SE lan nay (Say both Ns). But call him whatever you want here. Finns love the salami pronunciation. They'll laugh at whatever sticks for Army Joe too.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Yeah I'm not really sure why so many people were ready for him to be on our 4th. I haven't seen him play but I haven't heard any camp hype or seen impressive little league numbers.

I always wondered why he jumped last year from NCAA straight to playing for the Jets, without showing much before that. :huh:

Neither. AR mia. In Finnish the accent is always on the first syllable. Rarely if ever are there other inflections later in words. Sometimes slightly in really long words. It's very monotone. SE lan nay (Say both Ns). But call him whatever you want here. Finns love the salami pronunciation. They'll laugh at whatever sticks for Army Joe too.

That's interesting, so everyone's been mispronouncing Selanne for 20 years? :laugh:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

While I have some doubts as well, he did show well in his lone game last season.
I think what Copp does well is best displayed in game, opposed to standing out in drills.

But he is going to have to earn it. If they sign Slater on a late cheap deal, Chevy has a little doubt as well. I would feel better if he did. Slater on a cheap one year could help early on , if Copp needs time in the A.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
Oops. I should make it proper. SAY lan nay. The a in lan is as we say it in the word "an". I was an exchange student there so I'm quite aware of how tricky it is to wrap your head around the Finnish language haha. The good part about Finnish is that once you know the alphabet you can pronounce anything nearly spot on. Everything sounds as it spells. Except for those silly Swedish words that crept in.

I tried to learn some Swedish there too. But apparently I speak Swedish with a comically thick Finnish accent.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I had a similar impression of Kosmachuk, especially early in the camp.

When I watched Lodge out there he looked bigger and faster than I remember from last year. I thought he was fine in the drills that I watched. He's definitely an AHL project though.

Copp also had a decent camp IMO. He's a sneaky fast skater actually.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I had a similar impression of Kosmachuk, especially early in the camp.

When I watched Lodge out there he looked bigger and faster than I remember from last year. I thought he was fine in the drills that I watched. He's definitely an AHL project though.

Copp also had a decent camp IMO. He's a sneaky fast skater actually.

I think Copp will make a decent 4th line center for an average team. However, he has a little 2 or 3 year window to make a good impression before he's challenged very hard for that job here in Winnipeg. On a possible great Jets team in a few years, Copp may not quite be good enough to stick as there is SO much talent coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad