Prospect Info: 2015 Development Camp

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Probably, plus last year had more talent that could have made the NHL roster immediately, this year you pretty much know there's just one or two guys who're getting some games on the main roster.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...-futures-for-adam-wilcox-matthew-peca/2236064
Goalie Adam Wilcox said he always knew, in his heart, he'd stay with the Lightning organization.

Forward Matthew Peca wasn't exactly sure what would happen, but, at the end of the day, wanted to remain with Tampa Bay.
"Two huge signings for us," said Stacy Roest, the director of player development.

Roest noted Wilcox (University of Minnesota) and Peca (Quinnipiac) have been two of the best players on the ice during this week's development camp at the Ice Sports Forum, with each expected to make significant contributions this fall in Syracuse.

"Both had great college careers," general manager Steve Yzerman said. "Matthew, we love his all-around game, a wonderful skater, great athlete, smart player, good hockey sense. We're excited about his potential. Adam had a tremendous college career. He did well in the USHL, did very well in college, and next step is let's see how he does in the AHL. He's had success at every level,"
Wilcox and Minnesota went through a sizable midseason slump, winning just five of 17 games. Wilcox joked fans were "panicking," but said the experience made him stronger, especially mentally.

"If I had one little bad stretch in three years of college, I would take that," Wilcox said. "There's so many ups and downs in a season. It was good to go through some adversity, something I didn't see the first two years. I learned a lot."

Wilcox, at 6-1, knows his main adjustment in Syracuse is dealing with bigger bodies in front. But goalie coach Frantz Jean has seen Wilcox made tremendous strides in his fifth camp.

"I remember the first year he came in, you could see a little bit of a diamond in the rough," Jean said. "He had good skills but he used a lot of his athleticism to make saves, more of a battler. Four years later, he's become a goalie that's a little more technical and uses his positioning to make saves, and still has that battling ability."
"They've got a lot of goalies in the system, and the question is, 'Why would you go here?' " Wilcox said. "But every place is going to have great goalies, and it's good to be here."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bol...after-illustrious-collegiate-career-20150704/
Even though the Lightning already had a deep group of young goaltenders in place, Wilcox didn’t shy away from the situation and welcomes the competition.

“It’s my first year being a pro, so I’m not expecting to start in the NHL or anything. So for me it’s just about getting my feet wet here and getting used to the pro level, developing and getting better because I just came out of college,’’ Wilcox said. “This organization has a good reputation of developing good, young goalies here the past few years. I knew this was a place that if I came in, worked hard and got my game going, I would be successful because they have a great club up top and they have a great (farm) team in Syracuse.

“So the path these guys are going, I felt it was just a good fit for me.’’
“He looks like a pro, and it’s been very positive,’’ goaltender coach Frantz Jean said of watching Wilcox this week at development camp. “I’m an Adam Wilcox fan. I like what he brings to the table as an individual.

“He has confidence about his game, and what he has done at the University of Minnesota is pretty impressive when you look at the goalies that have come through that program. He was one of the best in their history. That says something about the character of the guy and his ability.’’
3-on-3 tournament stats
Center Matthew Peca set the tone on the first day of the Lightning’s development camp 3-on-3 tournament, leading all scorers with eight goals and 12 points in four games. Brayden Point had four goals and 11 points, while Cristiano DiGiacinto and Brian Hart each had nine points.

Three teams, meanwhile, sit atop the standings with six points, led by the 3-0 record of Team West, which consists of Mitchell Stephens, Stephen Baylis and Daniel Walcott.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...idays-standouts-at-lightning-prospect/2236094
Left wing Adam Erne did participate. He looked fine, despite recovering from a separated left shoulder, scoring three goals in one of his games, with one coming on an impressive slap shot.

Forward Matthew Peca led all players 12 points and eight goals. Two other big-name prospects, center Brayden Point and 2015 second-round pick Mitchell Stephens, were tied for the lead with seven assists.

Last year's first-round pick, defenseman Anthony DeAngelo, and 2012 second rounder Brian Hart both had five goals.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Pretty cool 3v3 tournament...! That was fun. Thought Erne/Stephens/Hart team would be in the finals...

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
[nhl]832155[/nhl]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=774167&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Adam Erne knows that his performance at Tampa Bay Lightning development camp likely won't earn him a spot in the lineup this season, but the No. 33 pick at the 2013 NHL Draft hopes he gave the Lightning staff something to think about.
"They have a lot of skilled guys on the team, great skaters," the 20-year-old left wing said. "And from me they are looking for a guy that's bigger and can play that power-forward role. I'm continuing to work hard to be that guy, and it's a process."
"I really wanted to focus on being more of a threat around the goal, and it was a good season," Erne said. "Overall, the goal was continue to get better than I was last year. Just get bigger, faster and stronger. I definitely want to be part of what's being built here in Tampa."
Erne said he's followed Drouin's progress; the two were in the same draft class.

"I think he's going to be a special player," Erne said. "He has a lot of talent and he's going to get better. It was good to see him play in a lot of games this year."

But Erne, like many of the players invited to the Lightning's June 30-July 4 development camp, realizes it will be difficult to make the NHL roster this season. Tampa Bay, after all, brings back most of the team that came within two victories of winning the Stanley Cup last season.

"It's tough to crack the big lineup," Lightning director of player development Stacy Roest said. "I think Steve [Yzerman] has done a good job of building a winning organization here. If you go in and put your time in, it's proven that you'll get a chance."

Roest said Erne is progressing well; he expects the New Haven, Conn., native to come into training camp with the goal of making the Lightning lineup.

"He had a great year in the Quebec league," Roest said. "Unfortunately he didn't make the under-20 national team. He had 41 goals, I think, and he had 21 in the playoffs. I loved going in there to watch him play. His work ethic has really come along. He's a big kid, a thick body. He can skate and shoot and pass. I think he is reflective of the type of players that are coming through the organization."

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
I made it to the last day of dev camp. Some thoughts.
Peca and DeAngelo were the stars.
Peca consistently found guys in shooting areas to pass to, and got himself open to roof a few shots himself. He reminds me a bit of Johnson, passing, shooting, smart, small, good D, good skating, although I think TJ is faster and has a harder shot. Peca is a few years older than most at the camp and it showed. He looked like a NHLer playing against teenagers.
Tony's passing, vision, and shooting skills are elite, D was solid. We don't have another Dman like him. Most of his passes got through traffic, and he can hit the top corners with a hard shot. He didn't stand out defensively, but he made the effort and didn't have any brain farts. Syracuse's PP is going to be good with these two guys.
Erne Hard accurate shot, good passing, good skating, good effort.
Blujus looked solid on O and D. Consistently made good plays. He reminded me of younger Brewer, although Brewer was more physical. If he gets a bit quicker and more physical, he still has 2nd pair potential.
Yan made a lot of skill plays. Vision, shooting, and skating all looked very good. Too many of his passes were broken up by defenders though.
Zuhlsdorf looked good. Seemed to make the right decision with the puck consistently. I wish he were a bit bigger, but if all goes well he could be a Stralman type D.
Stephens and Cirelli made a few good plays and showed good effort, but didn't stand out much to me otherwise.
Imama Good skater, surprisingly good puck handling, good D effort. Hardly ever passed into scoring areas though.
Spencer very good skater, good effort, but didn't really stand out much otherwise.
Digiacinto a woman near me mentioned a few times how much she liked that Digiorno pizza guy, lol. He did make some nice plays.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I made it to the last day of dev camp. Some thoughts.
Peca and DeAngelo were the stars.
Peca consistently found guys in shooting areas to pass to, and got himself open to roof a few shots himself. He reminds me a bit of Johnson, passing, shooting, smart, small, good D, good skating, although I think TJ is faster and has a harder shot. Peca is a few years older than most at the camp and it showed. He looked like a NHLer playing against teenagers.
Tony's passing, vision, and shooting skills are elite, D was solid. We don't have another Dman like him. Most of his passes got through traffic, and he can hit the top corners with a hard shot. He didn't stand out defensively, but he made the effort and didn't have any brain farts. Syracuse's PP is going to be good with these two guys.
Erne Hard accurate shot, good passing, good skating, good effort.
Blujus looked solid on O and D. Consistently made good plays. He reminded me of younger Brewer, although Brewer was more physical. If he gets a bit quicker and more physical, he still has 2nd pair potential.
Yan made a lot of skill plays. Vision, shooting, and skating all looked very good. Too many of his passes were broken up by defenders though.
Zuhlsdorf looked good. Seemed to make the right decision with the puck consistently. I wish he were a bit bigger, but if all goes well he could be a Stralman type D.
Stephens and Cirelli made a few good plays and showed good effort, but didn't stand out much to me otherwise.
Imama Good skater, surprisingly good puck handling, good D effort. Hardly ever passed into scoring areas though.
Spencer very good skater, good effort, but didn't really stand out much otherwise.
Digiacinto a woman near me mentioned a few times how much she liked that Digiorno pizza guy, lol. He did make some nice plays.

Tammela not stand out to you very much?

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Tammela not stand out to you very much?

I made a point of focusing on him for a few of his shifts. I was hoping to see some high level skill or jets, but he seemed to be keeping things kind of basic. I figured it was the language barrier causing some hesitation. I'm not worried about it, a lot of guys seem a bit unsure of themselves in their first dev camp. If Murray says he has the skills and drive, he probably does.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
A ton of talent and speed, but a lot of youth. Zettler has all the building blocks, let's see what he can make of it.

They'll need the trifecta of Koekkoek, Blujus, Dotchin to take another step forward this year. They still don't have a ton of talent on offense either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad