Prospect Info: 2015 Development Camp

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
When: Tuesday, June 30 until Saturday, July 4th 2015

Where: Brandon Ice Sports Forum

The camp is free and open to the public!

Roster:

Goalies:

OLDHAM, Kristian
WILCOX, Adam
MORRIS, Cale *
MURRAY, Jamie*

Defensemen:

MASIN, Dominik
SPENCER, Matt
WALCOTT, Daniel
ZUHLSDORF, Ryan
BLUJUS, Dylan
DeANGELO, Anthony
DOTCHIN, Jake
THOMAS, Ben

Forwards:

CIRELLI, Anthony
DiGIACINTO, Cristiano
DRAUDE, Terrell*
ERNE, Adam
HART, Brian
IAFALLO, Alexander*
IKONEN, Henri
JOSEPH, Mathieu
PECA, Matthew
TAMMELA, Jonne
BAYLIS, Stephen*
DARCY, Cameron
IMAMA, Bokondji
MULLIN, James
POINT, Brayden
SALMINEN, Saku
STEPHENS, Mitchell
VERMIN, Joel
VIGNEAULT, Samuel*
YAN, Dennis

* = invitees

For detailed roster info click here.

Schedules and more info:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Mullin is still playing? Thought injuries might have ended his career? I missed the O'Donnell news I guess he was qualified or offered an AHL deal?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Mullin is still playing? Thought injuries might have ended his career? I missed the O'Donnell news I guess he was qualified or offered an AHL deal?
Mullin missed all of last season with an injury. I'm not sure what the injury was that kept him out all year, but he transferred to to Minnesota State so he'll play his final season there.

O'Donnell was never qualified. They could still sign him to an AHL deal, but because he's not here at the development camp I doubt that happens now.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
what are the odds of IMAMA demonstrating his fighting ability? Will he save it for the pre season?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wilcox is a really interesting, if under-the-radar, prospect to me.

Also, it's great to see how the organization keeps good relationship with a lot of former talent. Other than the one obvious case, we tend to part ways amiably.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Brief thoughts on the development camp today...I only saw about 30 minutes of Group A and 45 minutes of Group B.

- Spencer reminds me of when I first saw Koekkoek. Technically sound, good skater, heavy on his skates, nice first pass. And one of the bigger bodies at the camp at 6'2" - he looked good. He looked better than Masin did last year. Although it seemed that Masin could fill out a lot more last year ... Spencer is a good looking prospect for sure.

- Stephens looked great. He is going to be real good. From my first look at the kid ... I mean he is everything you'd want. Seemed smart, real good hands, speed, balance, skating was great...and did the drills at 100% speed the whole time. I'm a fan of the kid seeing him up close - he'll probably blow up next season. From a skills stand point right up there with Point/Pecca...except Pecca is 3 years older and Point is much smaller. Imagine a Drouin type body and demeanor with that fight for the puck with Point's handles. Not elite hands...but real good. Saw him body up Imama on 1v1 breakaways - no fear went right into him with physicality.

- Tammela looked Brayden Point small. Maybe a bit wider but real short. He looked, unfortunately, not acclimated yet to the drills and language. Seemed he had a hard time understanding the instructions, where to go, etc. So it didn't seem like he was going full go due to the maybe hesitation of where he is supposed to go in the drills. I'll reserve my opinion on him until a later date.

- Imama can skate. The kid is real raw. Hands are below average unfortunately. In the 1 on 1 drills both Stephens and Point took him to school on breakaway drills by cutting to the middle of the ice. Instead of opening up his hips to the player while on defense...he turned his back losing sight of the puck. On the 2 v 2 drill blue vs white small side game...Imama had the winning goal on a nice roofer. Got the feed and roofed it real nice over the goalie. I think he will be a player...but so raw. He looks athletic, fast, strong, heavy on his skates...needs to work on his stick related skills - passing and puck handling. Maybe some edge related work...real raw but you can see how athletic and big the kid is.

- Hart is not that good. I mean big guy and all ... but not real athletic. I was expecting a bit more.

- Yan...oh the organization has to work on this kid. Real fast, good stick work, drives to the net real well on the 1v1 breakaway drills...may just be one of those guys where the lightbulb has to off or maybe he needs a bit more Palat/Callahan to his game. Will need to be more physical for sure...something about him is missing. I'll keep a close eye on him...can't point my finger at it. Just something is off about the way he carries himself.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We drafted two kids who'll be playing locally for me. Can't wait to finally keep an eye on a couple of prospects live. (oh, the troubles associated with being a Canadian fan of a hockey team in Florida)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/adam-erne-eager-for-chance-with-lightning/2235662

Erne
When LW Adam Erne watched the Lightning's run to the Stanley Cup final, the No. 33 overall pick of the 2013 draft had the same thoughts he has often had when watching Tampa Bay play: Sooner or later, that could be me on the ice.

"I've been thinking that since the day I got drafted ..." Erne said after the first day of the Lightning's development camp at the Ice Sports Forum. "There's still work that needs to be put in. But it's not as far away as it was last year."
"I was very happy," said Stacy Roest, the Lightning's director of player development. "I love going in there and watching him play. His work ethic's really come along, and he's committed. You look at him, he's a big boy, thick. He can skate, he can shoot, he can pass. He needs a good summer, then we'll see where we're at."
DeAngelo
Although work remains for D Anthony DeAngelo in the coming weeks, Roest said last year's first-round pick came into camp in good shape and that his next step will be to compete for a spot with the Lightning this fall.

"I always tell all the kids, every time you go to camp, you have a chance to make the team," Roest said. "Don't just short-sell yourself and say, I'm going to Syracuse this year. Sometimes you look around the league, some players come out of the blue and make the team. That's the reality."
Tammela
A large time difference meant that the Stanley Cup final aired late at night, but that didn't stop RW Jonne Tammela from keeping up with the NHL. This year's fourth-round pick said he stayed up to watch the final two games but caught highlights of the rest. The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Tammela came away with an appreciation for All-Star C Tyler Johnson, a similarly undersized forward.

"He's pretty good," Tammela said. "He's kind of a smaller guy."

Tammela was chosen Tuesday by the OHL's Peterborough Petes in the CHL import draft. Tammela said he will probably continue playing at the top level in Finland next year.
Masin
Dominik Masin, last year's No. 35 overall pick, is the only limited participant in camp. Masin, who had his season end in February after falling into an open bench door, will skate but won't compete in drills with the puck. He's expected to be fine by training camp.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Curious to see how DeAngelo does. I have the most interest in him when it comes to our prospects.

DeAngelo was in good spirits today. When they first got one the ice to do laps...he was talking to Erne for a while cracking up and smiling. Then Pecca came over to talk to him. Then Zettler did a few laps next to him. I read somewhere he had gained 12 lbs over last year's development camp. However, he still looks thin out there - listed at 173 lbs. Nothing much to note from a skills stand point...kid is elite for an offensive defenseman.

Cirelli and Joseph...nothing to write home about there. Was hoping to notice Cirelli a bit more. Salminen looks like he put on a few lbs and grew a bit more...however he still sucks. The new kid we got from New York...thought he sucked too - Walcott. Syracuse might go into the season with Koekkoek, Walcott, and Mormina which is scary to think about for the bottom 4 LD side. Crunch fans better pray Nesterov goes back to Syracuse or is gonna get ugly on the D side. Zuhlsdorf did some nice things...another pretty young and raw kid.

Yzlamic Preacher*

How did Sam Vigneault do? He's a big boy at Centre. 6'5 180.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/erik-condra-could-be-landing-with-lightning/2235761
Sixth round pick RW Bokondji Imama loves to fight.
Just ask fellow Lightning prospect LW Adam Erne, who knows from experience.

"He tried to jump me," Erne said, smiling. "He does that to everybody."

Imama, 18, and Erne, 20, have played against each other often in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. During one game, Erne, with Quebec, mixed it up with Imama, who played for Baie-Comeau and Saint John.

"I hit him, and he didn't like it," Erne said.

"Adam is a guy who like to chirp, he has a big mouth," Imama quippped. "Once he was talking to me, I knew he wasn't going to fight me. He hit me from behind, so I said, 'Adam you went too far.' I dropped by gloves, jumped on him. But the ref saved his life."

Imama, a 6-foot-1, 214-pound forward, is built like a linebacker, and sometimes plays like one. He earned a career-high 137 penalty minutes this season with Baie-Comeau and Saint John, taking pride in finishing checks and sticking up for his teammates. Imama also got suspended four games with Saint John for hitting an official multiple times.

But Erne points out Imama has skill, too, with 13 goals and 15 assists last season. Director of player development Stacy Roest believes that with some more years of development, Imama will round out his game even more.

"I define myself as a good skater, got a great shot," Imama said. "I do other stuff. Fighting is just part of my game. You see in the NHL and other leagues, there's not much fighting. I know this. That's why I've got to prove myself as a pro, because I can play, hockey too."
Erne said he may not participate in the 3-on-3 tournament Friday and Saturday as he recovers from a separated left shoulder, suffered in his first shift of the Memorial Cup final. Erne played through the injury, and was told it'd take 4-6 weeks to recover. He expects to be fine in a couple weeks and ready by training camp.
Kris Oldham, picked in the sixth round by Tampa Bay Saturday, didn't have time to return home to Anchorage, Alaska to get his gear before Tuesday's development camp. Luckily his mother, Mel, works for FedEx and shipped it to him on time. "I was pretty fortunate," Oldham said.
Forward Brian Hart, who signed a three-year, entry-level deal Sunday, said he's been inspired by fellow former Harvard player C Alex Killorn, who had 18 playoff points for the Lightning. Hart plans to work out in Montreal this summer with Killorn, like he did last year. "It's not your typical route," said Hart, who will play for AHL Syracuse. "But he proved you can play in the NHL."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/deangelos-maturity-evident-on-off-ice-20150702/
When DeAngelo was selected in the first round last summer, two things stood out about the 5-foot-11, 177-pound native of Sewell, New Jersey — his offense and an overly excitable competitive edge that sometimes put him in bad spots.

A year later, he has showed why the Lightning made him their top 2014 pick and rewarded the team’s trust — character issues are less of an issue now.
“Being in a winning environment, I think, helped a little bit,’’ DeAngelo said. “Even before that, we were doing better in Sarnia, so that helped and I just have a better mindset on things.’’
“You draft them at 18, they are going to physically mature, mentally mature at 19, 20 and 21, so he’s just going through the process,’’ Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said. “But we are really pleased with how he is progressing. We still expect a lot more from him, but we are really excited about his potential. ... The best thing about him is his ability to move the puck.’’
“His defensive game has come a long ways, and he’s matured as a person and player. ... He’s a really fun kid to be around,’’ said Lightning director of player personnel Stacy Roest, who went to see DeAngelo several times throughout the season. “The way he prepares himself and deals with stuff on and off the ice, he’s focused, competitive and wants to win. When he gets on the ice, sometimes the blood gets flowing, which is a good thing.’’

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
DeAngelo seems to be a guy who's not content with being just a best player in a small pond, he wants to be a best player among the best, and when that's not possible he gets agitated, and subsequently lashes at the teammates who he sees as detrimental to the team.

Not sure I like that, could mean problems when he gets older and the calming authority of Yzergod or Cooper has less influence on him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
DeAngelo seems to be a guy who's not content with being just a best player in a small pond, he wants to be a best player among the best, and when that's not possible he gets agitated, and subsequently lashes at the teammates who he sees as detrimental to the team.

Not sure I like that, could mean problems when he gets older and the calming authority of Yzergod or Cooper has less influence on him.

Probably why we drafted Imama. ;)

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
3-on-3 tournament teams

Cirelli - Darcy - DeAngelo - DiGiacinto - Vigneault

Baylis - Hart - Stephens - Walcott - Erne

Draude - Iafollo - Point - Thomas - Vermin

Blujus - Ikonen - Mullin - Peca

Imama - Joseph - Spencer - Tammela

Dotchin - Salminen - Yan - Zuhlsdorf

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
DeAngelo has the offensive skill and puck handling, but does he have a decent slap/wrist shot? some wheels to get back to the defensive zone if need be?

I've heard talk that he's like an Erik Karlsson, Karlsson has mad speed to back him up, Does DeAngelo?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
DeAngelo has the offensive skill and puck handling, but does he have a decent slap/wrist shot? some wheels to get back to the defensive zone if need be?

I've heard talk that he's like an Erik Karlsson, Karlsson has mad speed to back him up, Does DeAngelo?

At the junior level he does for sure. We'll see how it matches up against AHL pros this year.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Might be confused was it the 3v3 tournament supposed to be streamed? Or was the stream talk about the rookie tournament?

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
There was a lot more hype and information/coverage for last years development camp. Was that because of Drouin?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad