2015 CBJ Training Camp Thread (9/18-10/3)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2015/09/training-camp-abcs.html

Here's what the Blue Jackets NHL-level forward lines will look like at the start of camp:

F1: Brandon Saad - Ryan Johansen - Nick Foligno

F2: Boone Jenner - Brandon Dubinsky - David Clarkson

F3: Scott Hartnell - Alexander Wennberg - Cam Atkinson

F4: Matt Calvert - Gregory Campbell - Rene Bourque/Jared Boll

And here's what the defense will look like:

D1: Ryan Murray - David Savard

D2: Fedor Tyutin - Jack Johnson

D3: Kevin Connauton - Dalton Prout

D4: Justin Falk - Cody Goloubef

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wish we would let Murray earn the 1st pairing spot with his play rather than just give it to him. It's okay, but I'm still skeptical.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2015/09/training-camp-abcs.html

Here's what the Blue Jackets NHL-level forward lines will look like at the start of camp:

F1: Brandon Saad - Ryan Johansen - Nick Foligno

F2: Boone Jenner - Brandon Dubinsky - David Clarkson

F3: Scott Hartnell - Alexander Wennberg - Cam Atkinson

F4: Matt Calvert - Gregory Campbell - Rene Bourque/Jared Boll

And here's what the defense will look like:

D1: Ryan Murray - David Savard

D2: Fedor Tyutin - Jack Johnson

D3: Kevin Connauton - Dalton Prout

D4: Justin Falk - Cody Goloubef

I wish we would let Murray earn the 1st pairing spot with his play rather than just give it to him. It's okay, but I'm still skeptical.

Bolded for emphasis

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
A friend of mine ran into John Davidson at the airport this morning and spoke to him for a bit. FWIW, the main thing taken away from this convo was that Milano isn't close to being NHL ready, so if a prospect is going to push for a spot, look for either Rychel or Bjork to do so.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
A friend of mine ran into John Davidson at the airport this morning and spoke to him for a bit. FWIW, the main thing taken away from this convo was that Milano isn't close to being NHL ready, so if a prospect is going to push for a spot, look for either Rychel or Bjork to do so.

Sonny has to prove he can play without the puck in all three zones in the preseason to make a push. He's a smart player, not impossible. Unlikely this year.

thebus2288*

I prefer Goloubef to Prout, but whatever.

If that top pair actually plays like a top pair then we will make serious noise.

Golobeuf very well may be a better overall defenseman than Prout right now and in 5 years. But, besides a little better skating what does Golobeuf bring that Tyutin doesn't? Not to mention IMO at this point Tyutin is quite a bit more "intelligent" on the ice than Golo. Our top 4 all play better defense and offense than Golobeuf. Connauton has offensive abilities that can be a real "game changer", just not consistent enough, and Prout is IMO the best big, tough, mean, young, "shutdown" defenseman in the league. Just needs to work a little more on developing just HOW TO shut people down. Icetime will do that.

I still do however believe we will see a pretty regular rotation of the bottom pairing guys.

I mean of course people will attack this BECAUSE he was hurt, but when he's played he pretty much HAS earned the spot. Out of Murray, Savard and Johnson, Murray seems to be the guy seen by most as a legit or possible legit top pair guy. Now he's there. If this stays this will also be seen as Jack Johnsons "breakout year" because of a huge increase in his career +/-. Not because he will actually "breakout" or necessarily even play much better, but simply playing against weaker competition throughout the year. If you want to hold it against Murray, Savard, or the team because they are our 2 best options back there, "fine", but they still are our best 2 options.

I, of course(;)), wanna let it be known that I have been calling these exact defensive pairs since early in the summer. Also changing things up I will embrace my "martyrdom" and claim I have been the only person on here to post these exact pairs. Wonder what happened to the left/right, left/right thing many were so sure the coaches wouldn't get away from.

Well how about somebody tells that PR man that Milano weighs like, over, 200 pounds!! What more does he want!?! Warren's forcing Kerby (and the teams hand) on the roster and Bjorkstrand and Tynan weigh like a 150 pounds!!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Well how about somebody tells that PR man that Milano weighs like, over, 200 pounds!! What more does he want!?! Warren's forcing Kerby (and the teams hand) on the roster and Bjorkstrand and Tynan weigh like a 150 pounds!!

Has nothing to do with size, has to do with overall game. Bjork can play on the PK immediately, he is great in his own end. Milano is one dimensional.

thebus2288*

Has nothing to do with size, has to do with overall game. Bjork can play on the PK immediately, he is great in his own end. Milano is one dimensional.

Haha. Just the fact that you think somebody WOULD make that comment on here, and be 100% serious, makes my day. But its not your fault as it would sound something just like that. You're completely correct about the fact that the players overall hockey ability and IQ is more important than size or weight. As someone who's physical appearance can be described simply as "small" I probably have a little somewhat unrealistic opinions on how important size is in the NHL, but its probably not as bad as most people who IMO overvalue "size". With me its all about intelligence and "getting **** done" on the ice. While I don't think he's a bad player, and he is skilled, Milano just has to stop being so "cute" and just "get **** done".

I will disagree though. Bjork could play on the PP. Tynan on the other hand COULD play 3C and 2nd line PK time. This is my prediction for training camp.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
The Johnson - Tyutin pair concerns me. Tyutin plays a smart game but (by my eye) has gotten noticeably slower over the last two seasons. Johnson might not have the smarts to "see" problems when Tyutin can't get back in time.

I think Murray - Savard will be fine.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Maybe I'm in left field here but I don't see any of the young guns making the team out of camp. Given the aversion to buyouts I can't see the Jackets burying Boll or Bourque in the A. The only way a guy makes the team is if they decide to carry 23 (which because of our cap doesn't make sense to me) and B&B become fixtures in the press box.

The other way that might work is if they want to see one of the guys for a few games but that would seem counter intuitive if they want a set team coming out of camp and getting off to a good start.

OK, then let's just cancel training camp, and just have the guys we know will make the team show up, and call it pre-season practice. You go down and tell the young guys that they really have no chance to make the team, and just go through the motions and head on down to the A, or back to Jr. or whatever.

I am well aware of who will most likely make the team, but the whole point of inviting 50-some odd guys is to give them a chance to battle for spots. Some have no chance, and some, a few, ahh who knows?

The only thing that makes going to a pre-season game worth a **** is to watch the young guys battling. The Vets are just getting in shape, and trying not to get injured. They may not make the team, but there is still a fight for who gets called up in the event of injuries.

No, you are not in left field, but neither am I.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I suspect the usual. Lots of stupid comments, pissing contests, rants, sarcasm and the occasional insightful post. :laugh:

Don't forget the occasional interjection from Grapes. Seems like forever since I've seen a post from him around these parts...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
HUGE opportunity for Clarkson this season and I think he'll run with it.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Oiler fan here. What can u fans tell me about Letestu? Will he help us out in Edmonton?

Great IQ, very subtle player but effective. If you need poise and experience on your bottom 6, and leadership on the PK, he's your guy.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
While I'm excited to see the development of the young forwards, I am most looking forward to seeing how Heatherington has developed. He doesn't seem to come up a lot, but to me he looks like he could develop into exactly the kind of monster defenseman this team needs - and the best part is that he won't need to be rushed into an NHL role.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
While I'm excited to see the development of the young forwards, I am most looking forward to seeing how Heatherington has developed. He doesn't seem to come up a lot, but to me he looks like he could develop into exactly the kind of monster defenseman this team needs - and the best part is that he won't need to be rushed into an NHL role.

Agreed. I think he gets overlooked because the big stay-at-home defenseman types doesn't make for a flashy prospect. But it's a type that the CBJ need.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Seems like Rychel is impressing during skating tests, which was his biggest flaw when he was drafted. Maybe he makes the team ala Dano last year?

Saad-Joey-Foligno
Jenner-Dubi-Atkinson
Hartnell-Wennberg-Rychel
Calvert-Campbell-Clarkson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad