2015 Calgary Flames Training Camp Thread [Starts Thu Sept. 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Don't think it's going to be easy to get rid of Wideman's 5.25M cap hit for this season and next, especially with a stagnant cap.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kulak is the type of dman that fits our system though. He's probably better than Diaz already and is on par to Schlemko. I think he should thrive playing for Hartley so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

Here's my thinking, in no way does Kulak, Culkin or Tspoon make Wideman expendable but it's about managing your assets. If Wideman gets hurt or struggles again this year, then his value goes down and he becomes untradeable, so if a good offer came up now and fits our direction, I'd consider it.

Hamilton made Wideman expendable, neither him or Russell should be playing on our 3rd paring.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Good for Kulak. He'll get one or two NHL paychecks to start the year if he is up right? That's got to be nice for a young guy.

Toro

Sep 6, 2005
Windsor
Hey guys i come in peace!!
Habs Fan!!

Im wondering what you guys thought of wilson..

Did he have a good camp? I know he must have gave 150% cause he is a great guy and has a lot of passion for the game.

What do you think his chances of grabbing a spot on another NHL team in need of a 6th or 7th D with NHL experience?

I worked with Ryan's uncle and played pick up hockey with his uncle,and ryan since he was 15 yrs old( knew then he would be an NHL'er) till he got to the OHL..then just a few times in the summer...I played goal and am 42 now..the first time he played with us he scored 7 on me at 15 playing defence...the rest of his team only got a few...

Was hoping he would get a spot on calgary, he team that gave him his first chance..as he was not drafted. He ended up making the NHL faster then a lot of the drafted D his draft year...anyway...just wondering how he did in camp and what you guys thought of his efforts.

Thx and have a great season!!:hockey::cheers:

Last edited:

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Hey guys i come in peace!!
Habs Fan!!

Did he have a good camp? I know he must have gave 150% cause he is a great guy and has a lot of passion for the game.

What do you think his chances of grabbing a spot on another NHL team in need of a 6th or 7th D with NHL experience?

I worked with Ryan's uncle and played pick up hockey with ryan since he was 15 yrs old till he got to the OHL..then just a few times in the summer...

Was hoping he would get a spot on calgary, he team that gave him his first chance..as he was not drafted. He ened up making the NHL faster then a lot of the drafted D that year...anyway...just wondering how he did in camp and what you guys thought of his efforts.

Thx and have a great season!!:hockey::cheers:

I think he was decent and would make an ok #7. But we have younger and equal internal options, and two injured D coming back soon. If we get someone we would likely do aa waiver claim on someone more mobile, as Wilson couldn't really keep up skating wise in Hartley's system

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

There's still bits and pieces of the ability there, I think if he gets a contract he'll work his way back to playing at an NHL level. But getting a contract might be difficult as not many teams are looking for vets, and the ones that are are looking for highly proven ones.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think as the pace of the preseason picked up, Wilson couldn't elevate his game and it showed. Might just be his legs, but he really struggled in his last 2 games and was probably our worst dman on the ice.

He seems like a good guy and we wish him well, but I'd be really surprised if he was offered a deal. If I were him, I'd sign an AHL deal and work on playing himself back into shape and try again next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With Kulak making the team, and a Russell extension being rumoured, is Wideman out the door?
Hard to say, depends on Russell's contract and if other contracts will be moved/bought out

Waste of a conditional pick to be honest. Then again, Riley Bruce.
Waste of a conditional pick? Are you serious? For all we know he condition could be they get nothing if he doesn't play an NHL game (and that is a fairly common condition with 7th round picks in deals involving minor leaguers.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Waste of a conditional pick to be honest. Then again, Riley Bruce.

I don't know if it's a waste of a pick. When you're in the 7th round, you're more or less taking shots in the dark... In addition, most guys you can just invite to your prospect camp after the fact to get an inside track on if you were high on them at the draft.

Conditional 7th rounder for some AHL talent who could hit the NHL in a pinch... and does have some more upside than he's shown at this time.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Wow surprised Byron is on waivers, someone will pick him up

Doubt it, as much as Flames fans love him, he's very undersized for his role and is seen as a fringe guy still, he should be able to slip under the radar.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
In no way shape or form does a $4-5 million Kris Russell make it easy (or possible) to keep Wideman though - especially with a few other contracts coming up for negotiation as well.

I'm not saying we keep Wideman forever. I'm saying Kulak making the team out of camp has no bearing on Wideman at all right now.

And that's simple, don't sign him to that much money, I'm a huge Russell supporter and fan, but he's not worth anything over 4. Which, I know he could get on the open market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad