2015 Calgary Flames Training Camp Thread [Starts Thu Sept. 17]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Gonna be interesting to see how we roll them, as I said before, this won't last until Christmas though, someone will be moved.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So Treliving won't risk Ortio on waivers at this point at least (which is good), but he's third on the depth chart (which is bad). Ramo gets the start (which is good) but Ortio will be watching from the press box (which is bad).

Hopefully Hiller can just go now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I called Byron not being a lock, Ferland being a lock, Treliving not even thinking about passing Ortio through waivers and my opening night roster was fairly close to reality, with the exception that I thought Shore would work his way onto the team.

Close!

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Happy to see Rano starting. Hopefully he comes out flying to start the season and this goalie nonsense can be finished once and for all. Not
Surprised to see Raymond or Byron waived, no room for them on the team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames Today: Roster moves 'just business'
“That’s the tough part of the game,†said Stajan, who sits beside Raymond in the Flames dressing room. “You build relationships with guys and you become friends. Our families are friends. We’ve got kids, and hang out together. It’s never easy to see that part of the game, but it’s part of the business. It’s unfortunate. It happens every year. You just hope things works out for each person individually and their families. No matter what happens. That’s definitely the hardest part of playing on a team.â€
“It’s always tough with the way the game is now with the salary cap and the restrictions for the amount of bodies you can keep around,†captain Mark Giordano said. “A lot of different things come into play. At the end of the day, you’re hoping for the best for the individual. When guys get sent down or put on waivers, you trust our management that they’re making the right decisions for the team.â€
“It’s part of the business. That’s the way it is,†coach Bob Harltey said. “The few days before the start of the season, there is always lots of guys on waivers. It’s basically about positioning. That’s about it.

“Right now, it’s not about seeing more. It’s business decisions. That’s what it is. We’ll have to wait and see. [Tuesday] at 10am our time, we are going to find out if they’ve been claimed. If they have not, we are going to move to Step Two.â€

Business, admitted Stajan, doesn’t make the situation any easier.

“You really have to, it sucks to tell you the truth, but you have to be positive,†he said. “Obviously, sometimes it opens better situations for certain guys. Sometimes there’s just not room. Certain guys play certain types of roles and that’s just how the game works. You just talk straight up with them. I have a great relationship with Mason. Nothing will change. You talk about it, it’s life, it happened, and we’ll see what happens in the next 24 hours.â€
ROTATION SET
Hartley declared Karri Ramo as his starter when the Flames welcome the Vancouver Canucks to Scotiabank Saddledome on Wednesday. He’ll be backed by Jonas Hiller, while Joni Ortio will not dress.

“Sometimes you make decisions for the game and sometimes you make decisions for the business,†Hartley said. “Both come in the same bowl after a while. At the same time, it’s our situation right now and that’s fine. The guys are working hard and [goalie coach Jordan Sigalet] is handling them very well. It’s our situation.

“The only good thing about three goalies is that it’s giving you another subject of conversation. That’s about the only good thing that comes out of it. At the same time, it’s our situation. we’re going to work with it and see what will happen.â€
Hartley on the expectations of Monahan
“Have another great year. Keep showing his great progression. He’s not even close to his prime yet and he’s showing unbelievable poise and great maturity. What you guys probably couldn’t see last year was his leadership. He is really growing well in this organization. Last year, towards the end of the year, especially in the playoffs, he was vocal, he was a leader. He was starting to be a leader and that’s so important. Leadership isn’t about age, it’s about responsibilities, it’s about who you are, and showing your personality. Sean will never be the most vocal guy, but even last year a few times, Marty and I were looking at each other on the bench and saying ,’That really came ou of Mony?’. It was good. I think that he’s ready to take that next step. We challenged him with this. We want him to be even more present. His game is just unbelievable. Obviously he’s a big part of this organization.â€

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So what is your D corps on opening night then?

Giordano-Hamilton (Shutdown Pairing tough minutes)
Russell-Wideman (Offense pairing Medium minutes)
Kulak-Engelland (""Shutdown Pairing"" Easy minutes)

... and who's the seventh D?

Ladislav Smid appears to be very close to go, he's been taking practices with the team. I could also imagine Nakladal or Wotherspoon getting called up once the goalie problem is resolved.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Giordano-Hamilton (Shutdown Pairing tough minutes)
Russell-Wideman (Offense pairing Medium minutes)
Kulak-Engelland (""Shutdown Pairing"" Easy minutes)

Ladislav Smid appears to be very close to go, he's been taking practices with the team. I could also imagine Nakladal or Wotherspoon getting called up once the goalie problem is resolved.

I'm mostly wondering if Calgary considers claiming Frankie Corrado of waivers.

Burkie likes to stick it to us when he can. ;)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm mostly wondering if Calgary considers claiming Frankie Corrado of waivers.

Burkie likes to stick it to us when he can. ;)

Calgary claiming a d-man off waivers is actually a possibility. Don't know if it would be Corrado or someone else.

I don't think they will, though. I think they're gambling on Smid being healthy enough to serve as #7 soon. If they pick someone off waivers, they'll have to plan to put someone on waivers a few weeks later.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like Corrado I would definitely put a claim in but I think Stew is right and Smid will be the #7 on opening night.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Both Raymond and Byron are in the Dome preparing for practice. We will know about waivers any minute.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Apparently rosters have to be set today, so no waivers today or tomorrow

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Raymond is on the ice at practice. Looks liek he will not be demoted right now. So we currently have a 22 man roster (3g, 6d, 13f) plus 3 injured players. I think we may have put in a claim for Corrado but the Leafs had a higher priority. If we recall Wotherspoon in the next couple of days, that would more or less confirm it for me.
GOALTENDERS (3 remaining)
- # - | --- --- Player Name --- --- | --- Contract Status --- | --- Roster Status ---
1 | Hiller, Jonas | One Way (w) |
31 | Ramo, Karri | One Way (w) |
36 | Gillies, Jon | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
37 | Ortio, Joni | One Way (w) |
40 | Simpson, Kent | AHL Contract | Cut 09.25.15
70 | Schneider, Nick | Two Way | Cut 09.25.15
72 | McDonald, Mason | Two Way | Cut 09.26.15

DEFENSEMEN (6 + 2 injured remaining)
- # - | --- --- Player Name --- --- | --- Contract Status --- | --- Roster Status ---
3 | Murray, Douglas (w) | Tryout | Cut 09.25.15
4 | Russell, Kris (w) | One Way |
5 | Giordano, Mark (w) | One Way |
6 | Wideman, Dennis (w) | One Way |
7 | Brodie, T.J. (w) | One Way | Injured [Hand]
15 | Smid, Ladislav (w) | One Way | Injured [Neck]
26 | Wotherspoon, Tyler | Two Way | Cut 10.02.15
27 | Hamilton, Dougie (w) | One Way |
29 | Engelland, Deryk (w) | One Way |
33 | Stevenson, Dustin | AHL Contract | Cut 09.26.15
43 | Nakladal, Jakub | Two Way | Cut 10.02.15
44 | Wilson, Ryan (w) | Tryout | Cut 10.04.15
50 | Sieloff, Patrick | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15 and 10.02.15
53 | Morrison, Kenney | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15 and 10.02.15
54 | Andersson, Rasmus | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
55 | Johnson, Aaron (w) | AHL Contract | Cut 09.25.15
58 | Kylington, Oliver | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
61 | Kulak, Brett | Two Way |
63 | Culkin, Ryan | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
73 | Kanzig, Keegan | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
98 | Bruce, Riley | Unsigned Draft Pick | Cut 09.20.15

FORWARDS (13 + 1 injured remaining)
8 | Colborne, Joe (w) | One Way | Injured [Broken Thumb]
11 | Backlund, Mikael (w) | One Way |
13 | Gaudreau, Johnny | Two Way |
16 | Jooris, Josh (w) | Two Way |
17 | Bouma, Lance (w) | One Way |
18 | Stajan, Matt (w) | One Way |
19 | Jones, David (w) | One Way |
21 | Raymond, Mason (w) | One Way | Waived 10.05.15
22 | Shore, Drew (w) | Two Way | Waived/Cut 10.02.15
23 | Monahan, Sean (w) | Two Way |
24 | Hudler, Jiri (w) | One Way |
28 | Poirier, Emile | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
32 | Byron, Paul (w) | One Way | Waived 10.05.15/Claimed by MTL
45 | Klimchuk, Morgan | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
46 | Arnold, Bill | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
47 | Baillie, Tyson | Tryout | Cut 09.20.15
48 | Van Brabant, Bryce | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
51 | Agostino, Ken | Two Way | Cut 09.27.15
52 | Bollig, Brandon (w) | One Way |
56 | Lomberg, Ryan | AHL Contract | Cut 09.25.15
57 | Grant, Derek | Two Way | Waived/Cut 09.27.15
60 | Granlund, Markus | Two Way | Cut 10.05.15
62 | Carroll, Austin | Two Way | Cut 09.25.15
64 | Hathaway, Garnet | Two Way | Cut 10.02.15
65 | Elson, Turner | Two Way | Waived/Cut 09.27.15
67 | Frolik, Michael (w) | One Way |
71 | Smith, Hunter | Two Way | Cut 09.25.15
76 | Riley, Blair | AHL Contract | Cut 09.27.15
78 | Heard, Mitchell | AHL Contract | Cut 09.25.15
79 | Ferland, Michael (w) | One Way |
85 | Marcotte, Louick | AHL Contract | Cut 09.25.15
86 | Burke, Taylor | Tryout | Cut 09.20.15
87 | Marchment, Mason | Tryout | Cut 09.20.15
88 | Mangiapane, Andrew | Unsigned Draft Pick | Cut 09.22.15
89 | Karnaukhov, Pavel | Unsigned Draft Pick | Cut 09.20.15
93 | Bennett, Sam | Two Way |

(w) indicates a player must clear waivers to be sent to the AHL is signed to an AHL contract.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monny with the A this year. That's pretty significant for the young man!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Now that training camp is over, will be closing this thing in a few hours, give 100TG a chance to move rosters over to a roster / lineup discussion thread perhaps?
Yes, I can definitely do that. I will use that thread to track the salary cap too. I will get working on it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
That's awesome (Monahan), sounded like he's really taking on a leadership role, especially in the playoffs. He'll be the future captain for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad