2015 Calgary Flames Development Camp - July 6-11 @ Winsport

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No matter what stats say, or what role someone is playing in, no one knows how any player will do until they are actually given the chance. We know that Janko has great natural ability and has an excellent attitude, he's also a very hard worker, so there's a lot to like. The biggest question for him will be can he physically handle it and will his game get to a level where he can produce at the NHL.

I personally think the odds of him playing at all and having any kind of career are quite good. It's his ceiling and what he will become that is almost impossible to predict.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Projects as a bottom 6 NHLer... Probably would have gotten a callup last season if he didn't hurt his shoulder.

The biggest issue holding him back right now his NHL spot is occupied by Stajan, whose mentorship role is very important for Monahan/Bennett's development at center.

Thanks for the reply and thanks JohnnyGoodDro as well....I really hope he makes it. Met him back in the 7th grade and that kid worked his tail off everyday After school playing hockey...Even during soccer season he was our starting Varsity goalie (had great hands)...he would skate after games and practice...Lost touch with him over the last few years but he was great guy pulling for him to have a successful career.

Take Care flames fans and enjoy Dougie :(....Guy is a stud his only downside right now is he still makes a few too many turnovers but if he can eliminate those from his game he's gonna be in the Norris conversation

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks for the reply and thanks JohnnyGoodDro as well....I really hope he makes it. Met him back in the 7th grade and that kid worked his tail off everyday After school playing hockey...Even during soccer season he was our starting Varsity goalie (had great hands)...he would skate after games and practice...Lost touch with him over the last few years but he was great guy pulling for him to have a successful career.

Take Care flames fans and enjoy Dougie :(....Guy is a stud his only downside right now is he still makes a few too many turnovers but if he can eliminate those from his game he's gonna be in the Norris conversation

I think our coaching staff could very well turn Dougie into a Norris dman. They do an absolutely superb job with defenceman.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Tyler Seguin got his share of power play time in Boston too... but he didn't live up to the expectations of a 1st liner until he was thrust into a 1st line role in Dallas.

I wouldn't say 29 goals and 67 points as a 19 year old is "not living up to expectations" especially with limited ice time....

TheFox

May 16, 2015
Alberta
I hope Ortio doesn't get too cocky and a lot of ice time after talking about being the flames #1 Goalie.
I want Ramo to play more then him.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Hello everyone, I have been going through some hurdles the past few days trying to get labeled an HFBoard partner, which has gone through so I can now post some of our stuff on here.

I am a co-host of the Flames podcast, Fireside Chat. We started back after the lockout ended in 2013. Dan and I (Matt) were at the camp all 4 days and were able to interview almost every one of the prospects. I believe we interviewed 24 different players and an over 10 minute interview with Craig Conroy.

Here's a link to that particular episode of the podcast.

Episode 88: Rookie Camp Recap 2015

We will be recording one more episode at the end of the month once Byron is signed to break down the UFA/RFA signings and all that fun.

In addition to that, I also did a talent breakdown of each player from my observations. A minor correction to the rating system, instead of a 2.5 being "Average" it is the minimum acceptable level for being an NHL player where that skill won't stand out as being particularly bad. Also, with the ratings, they might seem high, but just because a player is skilled does not mean they are going to become NHL players. We also have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL. Sven would rate high on my breakdowns in a lot of areas and he probably won't stick in the NHL long term.

Goalies
Mason McDonald
Jon Gillies

Defense
Brandon Hickey
Oliver Kylington
Adam Ollas Mattsson
Riley Bruce
Brett Kulak and Ryan Culkin
John Gilmour
Patrick Sieloff
Rasmus Andersson
Keegan Kanzig
Kenney Morrison
Jakub Nakladal

Forwards

Sam Bennett
Emile Poirier
Morgan Klimchuk
Austin Carroll
Hunter Smith
Pavel Karnaukhov
Garnet Hathaway
Andrew Mangiapane
Matt Deblouw
Louick Marcotte
Mark Jankowski

I did not write up any of the walk on players because I did not want to throw mud at players that are trying their best to reach the next level. The best trio of players were Brandon Hawkins, Tyson Baillie, and Josh Pitt. Hawkins and Pitt are NCAA players and likely won't be signed by us. Casey Bailey (Tor) was at our camp last year and signed with the Leafs. Pitt and Bailey are very comparable players talent wise, almost to call it a wash. Hawkins I think will be a top 6 forward in the NHL. Loads of talent, and he's only been playing hockey for a couple years. He is also a bit pudgy (was 5-11 235 when he started and is down to 200 now). He was the best of any walk on player in the past 3 years. Baillie is Andrew Mangiapane. Very similar players to the point where if Mangiapane wasn't on the board in the 6th round, I firmly believe Baillie would have been our pick instead.

Thanks for reading. I hope to contribute more on here more frequently moving forward.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Hello everyone, I have been going through some hurdles the past few days trying to get labeled an HFBoard partner, which has gone through so I can now post some of our stuff on here.

I am a co-host of the Flames podcast, Fireside Chat. We started back after the lockout ended in 2013. Dan and I (Matt) were at the camp all 4 days and were able to interview almost every one of the prospects. I believe we interviewed 24 different players and an over 10 minute interview with Craig Conroy.

Here's a link to that particular episode of the podcast.

Episode 88: Rookie Camp Recap 2015

We will be recording one more episode at the end of the month once Byron is signed to break down the UFA/RFA signings and all that fun.

In addition to that, I also did a talent breakdown of each player from my observations. A minor correction to the rating system, instead of a 2.5 being "Average" it is the minimum acceptable level for being an NHL player where that skill won't stand out as being particularly bad. Also, with the ratings, they might seem high, but just because a player is skilled does not mean they are going to become NHL players. We also have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL. Sven would rate high on my breakdowns in a lot of areas and he probably won't stick in the NHL long term.

Great write-ups was really excited to read through them after being in the states through dev camp; only thing I can say is don't forget to update your prospect page with links to all of them as esp. the Kenny and Janko people will want to read.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Great write-ups was really excited to read through them after being in the states through dev camp; only thing I can say is don't forget to update your prospect page with links to all of them as esp. the Kenny and Janko people will want to read.

Click on the names, they have links to their articles.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Click on the names, they have links to their articles.

Sorry what I meant was on the fireside site the 2014 prospect write-ups are still up but the 2015 ones just seem to have been added through the news feed.

http://www.firesidechat.ca/prospects

Just letting you know for your readers that aren't on hf to get quicker access to all of them. Hope it helps, cause the info on them is great and everyone should see them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Really good reads Caged Great! Loved what you wrote about Jankowski, Kylington and Hickey. Janko sounded dynamite and it's great to hear how he's progressing.

One question about Bennett, his speed has always stuck out to me as elite. Would you say it's possible he wasn't going 100%? Because other Kylington, I would have guessed he would appeared to be the fastest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad