2015 (and 2016) Weather Thread

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Still haven't got it, but the impression that its coming?! ;)

I see a bit line approaching on the radar. Have people experienced what this oncoming is going to be like?

Just got hammered for at least 10 minutes of torrential downpour in the SW. Streets flooded... pretty sure some hail too.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just got hammered for at least 10 minutes of torrential downpour in the SW. Streets flooded... pretty sure some hail too.

Just a routine and short amount of rain here in southeast and not even a lot. Sidewalks and grass already drying. zero hail here

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm downtown and we've had hail 3 days in a row at around 3pm. Tuesday was the worst, they were marble sized.

heh, we're literally dodgng the bullest in southeast. Only one bit of hail and that was over a week ago.

I was downtown yesterday, must have just missed the storm.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Surprised this hasn't been bumped, what with the crazy apocalyptic storms we've had the last couple days.

On Wednesday, I watched lightning strike Stadium like three times from my apartment window. Some dude got blasted in Bonnie Doon.

Like, 10 minutes ago the wind gusts got so harsh that I thought my windows were going to blow off my 14th floor apartment. Had to seal the damn things shut.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Two trees were hit on Montgomery Glen golf course last week. I was still out on the course!! :help:

Those guys are very slow at getting people off the course. About 10 years ago I played in a tournament there and a thunderstorm blew in fast. They didnt blow the horn for an hour.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I've heard a lot of thunder/seen a lot of lightning off in the distance but I feel like I've generally been missed by most of the crazy stuff.

I'd settle for a bit of it since some rain would at least shave a few degrees off in here at night, but instead I just get to listen to thunder and stay warm.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm still wondering what level of intelligence allows one to drive their car into a 3-4 ft deep submerged underpass on the Whitemud Freeway.

Every time this happens, without fail, theres a whole derby of these drivers with cars swimming under the underpass. This time the deluge of stuck drivers contributed to the freeway being closed the rest of Wednesday.

I could kind of see it happening if a person wasn't paying attention, wasn't familiar with Edmonton, didn't know this flooding of the underpasses occurs with most major storms. (Whitemud is bad for that) but the people that approach, regard it, evaluate it, then try to go slowly through it...sigh

I'm inclined to think insurance shouldn't pay for such careless use of vehicles. Do these people try to drive through lakes and take their vehicle boating? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm considering going to Heritage Days today or tomorrow but the weather is scaring me. Rain looks likely today at least. Those thunder boomers last night were ear-drum blasting.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm still wondering what level of intelligence allows one to drive their car into a 3-4 ft deep submerged underpass on the Whitemud Freeway.

Every time this happens, without fail, theres a whole derby of these drivers with cars swimming under the underpass. This time the deluge of stuck drivers contributed to the freeway being closed the rest of Wednesday.

I could kind of see it happening if a person wasn't paying attention, wasn't familiar with Edmonton, didn't know this flooding of the underpasses occurs with most major storms. (Whitemud is bad for that) but the people that approach, regard it, evaluate it, then try to go slowly through it...sigh

I'm inclined to think insurance shouldn't pay for such careless use of vehicles. Do these people try to drive through lakes and take their vehicle boating? :sarcasm:

I think the answer to you question is in your post. :laugh:

"Hmm... It's just a puddle , and **** it! I've got insurance."

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

Maybe they drive one of these "beuts"

1024f7d7ab54944fabd24fc6297312e5.jpg

But on that note i have a story. Back when Onstar was just coming out one of our family friends drove his truck out onto a frozen lake (ice bridge iirc). He preceded to call onstar and got a woman with a thick Texas accent. He preceded to tell her that he was lost and needed directions, so she brought up his location on her computer and in a shocked/horrified voice informed him "Um sir.....you appear to be in the middle of a lake....is everything alright?" He had a good chuckle about that at her expense.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Surprised this hasn't been bumped, what with the crazy apocalyptic storms we've had the last couple days.

On Wednesday, I watched lightning strike Stadium like three times from my apartment window. Some dude got blasted in Bonnie Doon.

Like, 10 minutes ago the wind gusts got so harsh that I thought my windows were going to blow off my 14th floor apartment. Had to seal the damn things shut.

That storm was wild. I don't remember the last time I've seen so much low level lightning here in Edmonton. I wasn't surprised to hear somebody got hit. I'm on the 19th floor in my building. I just happened to look out my window and see a flash at the exact moment I heard the boom. It felt and sounded like it hit something right in front of me. Almost crapped my pants. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I think the answer to you question is in your post. :laugh:

"Hmm... It's just a puddle , and **** it! I've got insurance."

Maybe they drive one of these "beuts"

1024f7d7ab54944fabd24fc6297312e5.jpg

But on that note i have a story. Back when Onstar was just coming out one of our family friends drove his truck out onto a frozen lake (ice bridge iirc). He preceded to call onstar and got a woman with a thick Texas accent. He preceded to tell her that he was lost and needed directions, so she brought up his location on her computer and in a shocked/horrified voice informed him "Um sir.....you appear to be in the middle of a lake....is everything alright?" He had a good chuckle about that at her expense.

If it keeps raining like this my garage, and vehicle and trailer contained within, will be floating down a backalley stream...

What a crazy amount of rain. Exceeding eaves routinely now. We don't get pitter patter rain we get deluge when it comes. By the buckets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad