2015-2017 Pens vs 2007-2009 Wings vs 2007-2009 Pens

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
I've never heard the term "nostalgia" used in reference to 2008 before..."lol" indeed...

it's been almost a full decade, that's when nostalgia really kicks in for the majority of people that think everything was "better" back in the day

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
Could be wrong but iirc that 08 team had possession numbers that still haven't been touched today. Assuming health I really don't think anyone stood/stands a chance against a prime Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and beast mode Franzen.

weaker competition

a far worse pens team with less depth in 08 that were pretty much college kids took them to 6, a dallas team that missed the playoffs the next year took them to 6

why is it hard to think a much more seasoned, deeper, and experienced pens team in 2016 coached by mike sullivan instead of mike therien could beat them?

the wings in 08 were the best team that year and they weren't some one hit wonder, but there have been a few teams since then that could beat them and the 16 pens are one of them

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
weaker competition

a far worse pens team with less depth in 08 that were pretty much college kids took them to 6, a dallas team that missed the playoffs the next year took them to 6

why is it hard to think a much more seasoned, deeper, and experienced pens team in 2016 coached by mike sullivan instead of mike therien could beat them?

the wings in 08 were the best team that year and they weren't some one hit wonder, but there have been a few teams since then that could beat them and the 16 pens are one of them

I don't really think they're that much better than the team they were then. Also, Detroit heavily outplayed Pittsburgh in every game of that series. Luck plays a larger factor than any of us would like to admit.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
The Pens were better last year with Letang, but they are still better than the '09 team now. Much more disciplined, composed etc. In '09 and in years after they could be taken completely out of the game simply by being chippy with them.

This is a grown-up team. A mature team with mature leadership.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
4 out of their 5 series went 6 games. That's not really unstoppable.

5c9.jpg

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
2008 Red Wings > 2016 Penguins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2009 Penguins

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Stopped reading right there.

To be fair, Wings fans are going to vote for 08, Pens fans for 16. No way to compare them. They both are Stanley Cup winning teams so in my book, they are both damn good hockey teams as are every other cup winner.

Me and other pens supporters have said 08, you must have missed that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
2008 wings
2009 wings
2016 pens. They were great. But they didn't play like it for a full season could be better but could be worse
2017 pens
2008 pens
2009 pens

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
weaker competition

This would be liks the wings vs avs. Deciding factor? Lidstrom and he was probably worse then. Detroit would win more vs the pens then the other way around in the playoffs just because of him

And I mean when both were cup contenders. After 98 Detroit was good not great like the 2010-13 wings were.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I would like to see a 100% healthy 2017 Penguins. Letang, Malkin (injured through 2016 POs), Guentzal, Sheary, Crosby, Murray all healthy. I think they would stomp the 2000s red wings and those were some of my favorite teams back then.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I would like to see a 100% healthy 2017 Penguins. Letang, Malkin (injured through 2016 POs), Guentzal, Sheary, Crosby, Murray all healthy. I think they would stomp the 2000s red wings and those were some of my favorite teams back then.

Which one do you want to see the better 16 penguins or 17. 17 penguins barely beat Ottawa. Detroit had way better players and trapped even better. 17 penguins really don't stand a chance

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
LOL the 2008 pens team were far inferior to the pens last year, yet that team took the "unstoppable" wings to 6 and came close to tying it up and maybe sending it to 7

it's amazing how the older a team is the "better" they get as time goes by, nostalgia is hilarious

The 2008 Pens looked like the 2016 Sharks. Clearly the inferior team that got won of their wins with an outstanding goalie performance.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
1. 08 Wings. this team was an absolute juggernaut with several of the Wings' best players of the 2000s era playing in their prime. I really can't think of a significant weakness they showed. Maybe Osgood was playing over his head a little, but it's not like he had much to cover up for.

2. 16 Pens. I think this roster had a few minor holes compared to the 08 Detroit team - Kunitz/Rust in the top 6 was not ideal, their defense was not quite where it could have been, and Sheary was not up to par as a first line player yet - but their style was so dominant and consistently well-executed that I would easily put them over any of the other teams in question.

3. 09 Pens just the right mix of guys at the right time, despite a bit of a ragtag roster construction. Most notably Malkin's monster 36-point playoff performance (though people seem to forget sid also had 30 points this postseason!) drove their success, but they got big performances in big moments from the supporting cast, especially Gonchar, Talbot, and Guerin.

4. 09 Wings. Essentially the 08 team over again, but they were handicapped considerably by the absence of Datsyuk. Hossa was a good addition but he was kept pretty quiet when it counted.

5. 08 Pens Lots of skill at forward, but too young and green to really assert themselves on the biggest stage. Fleury's stellar postseason contributed in large part to the team looking as strong as it did through the first three rounds, where they only lost 2 games. Malkin also played the entire finals hurt, which was significant problem because he looked terrible.

6. 17 Pens Objectively, I think this is the worst team to appear in the finals out of all of the ones aforementioned. They are winning through sheer force of will, through a constant sequence of injuries to key players and without anything remotely resembling a #1 defenseman who is capable of driving the transition game.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Jun 16, 2016
I don't really think they're that much better than the team they were then. Also, Detroit heavily outplayed Pittsburgh in every game of that series. Luck plays a larger factor than any of us would like to admit.

you clearly didn't pay attention last year

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Pens 16 for me over the others.

Too much looking at the teams on paper here. Pens 16 after the stars might not look that impressive but they all played their role very well and were extremely well coached in a style that would hold up against anyone.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
If the injured, depleted, zombie version of the 2016 pens (2017 pens) manages to repeat, it's a testament to just how good the pens are at full strength. I think that repeat factor would make the 2016 pens the best cup winner of the era.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
What makes the 08 Wings better than the 09 Wings? The 09 Wings were the same team, plus Hossa. Obviously they lost game 7, but that's because the Penguins improved.

The '08 Wings were better than the '09 squad. Even with Hossa.

Ty Conklin was crucial for the '09 team until Osgood started to hit his stride. Hell, Osgood was the main reason they nearly repeated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad