2015-2017 Pens vs 2007-2009 Wings vs 2007-2009 Pens

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The Penguins are the last team to make the SC final back-to-back since 2009 where both the Penguins, and Wings did. Which of these 3 teams is the best?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
2016 Pens could have taken the 2008 Red Wings.

2016 Pens are the best of that bunch. 2008 wings are close behind.

I'd say:

2016 Pens
2008 Wings
2008 Pens
2009 Pens
2009 Wings

Too tough to say where the 2007 Wings fit in.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Wings in 2008 and Penguins 2016 are by far the best teams in the lockout era Imo. Going with Red Wings because Malkin and Crosby weren't good at all in the only series versus a great team (Capitals). The rest of the team was amazing all the way, but thats not good enough to counter Dats, Z and Lidström in their primes and a really good supporting cast.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
What makes the 08 Wings better than the 09 Wings? The 09 Wings were the same team, plus Hossa. Obviously they lost game 7, but that's because the Penguins improved.

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
The 2008 Wings by a pretty clear margin. They were nearly unstoppable.

4 out of their 5 series went 6 games. That's not really unstoppable.

2016 Pens team. They were only out played + beat in 3 games that whole post season. The game against the Caps where Letang was injured, the first game against the Bolts, and I think it was Game 2 or 3 against SJ. They completely dominated the rest of the playoffs. Only lost to goalies who stole games and horrible calls to extend series.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Despite Osgood, they were just better on the ice...I have no idea about paper or stats or whatever...but I watched every game of every playoffs for a while now and that '08 Detroit sticks out something special...if they had a better goalie, they had a shot at 16-0...Osgood was the only thing that kept the Pens alive in the Final.

In 09, Osgood was strangely better but the team just wasn't quite as good...not sure if it was fatigue or injury (Red Wings will jump all over this + conspiracy nonsense soon, so I'm reticent to light that match but...), but teams weren't as overwhelmed by them on the ice like they were in '08...difficult to quantify, but I think there was an obvious step down in '09 and still that was nearly good enough...it was a really good team in its own right, I'm not sure they weren't better than the '16 Pens as well...it's pretty close...

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
What makes the 08 Wings better than the 09 Wings? The 09 Wings were the same team, plus Hossa. Obviously they lost game 7, but that's because the Penguins improved.

Health. Imo anyways.

And the the 2016 Pens also had to go through three six game series. To the above poster - what's your point? The Wings swept the Avs and went 4-2 in the other series while the Pens didn't sweep anyone... I also didn't know the playoffs had five rounds now...

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Despite Osgood, they were just better on the ice...I have no idea about paper or stats or whatever...but I watched every game of every playoffs for a while now and that '08 Detroit sticks out something special...if they had a better goalie, they had a shot at 16-0...Osgood was the only thing that kept the Pens alive in the Final.

It's Osgood's fault that they went 2-2 to start off the playoffs with a different goalie before rattling off 9-in-a-row with Osgood in net - a streak that was broken in back-to-back games in which they provided just one goal of support against Dallas?

No, they would not go 16-0 with a different goaltender. That's absurd.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
2008 Wings AINEC

I watched the 2009 SCF as my first real dip into hockey and that Red Wings team with a sieve goalie was just unreal good, beautiful hockey.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON

In 09, Osgood was strangely better but the team just wasn't quite as good...not sure if it was fatigue or injury (Red Wings will jump all over this + conspiracy nonsense soon, so I'm reticent to light that match but...), but teams weren't as overwhelmed by them on the ice like they were in '08...difficult to quantify, but I think there was an obvious step down in '09 and still that was nearly good enough...it was a really good team in its own right, I'm not sure they weren't better than the '16 Pens as well...it's pretty close...

What? Osgood had a Smythe caliber run in 2008.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
The 2008 Wings by a pretty clear margin. They were nearly unstoppable.

LOL the 2008 pens team were far inferior to the pens last year, yet that team took the "unstoppable" wings to 6 and came close to tying it up and maybe sending it to 7

it's amazing how the older a team is the "better" they get as time goes by, nostalgia is hilarious

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

2016 Pens team. They were only out played + beat in 3 games that whole post season. The game against the Caps where Letang was injured, the first game against the Bolts, and I think it was Game 2 or 3 against SJ. They completely dominated the rest of the playoffs. Only lost to goalies who stole games and horrible calls to extend series.

To be fair, if they made them play 5 series that's a much tougher path than everyone else...

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007

Stopped reading right there.

To be fair, Wings fans are going to vote for 08, Pens fans for 16. No way to compare them. They both are Stanley Cup winning teams so in my book, they are both damn good hockey teams as are every other cup winner.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Could be wrong but iirc that 08 team had possession numbers that still haven't been touched today. Assuming health I really don't think anyone stood/stands a chance against a prime Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and beast mode Franzen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad