Speculation: 2015/2016 TBL Roster, Rumors, and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've always been teetering on the brink of "wanting" to trade Namestnikov, but now I think I'm firmly in that camp. Here's hoping he scores a few more to pump his trade value.

We have Peca and Point on the way as candidates for a future 2/3C, with Richard as a 3/4C candidate, and as of right now I think Paquette is more suited to our bottom six than Namestnikov. He's just not getting stronger.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I've always been teetering on the brink of "wanting" to trade Namestnikov, but now I think I'm firmly in that camp. Here's hoping he scores a few more to pump his trade value.

We have Peca and Point on the way as candidates for a future 2/3C, with Richard as a 3/4C candidate, and as of right now I think Paquette is more suited to our bottom six than Namestnikov. He's just not getting stronger.

Agreed. He just get knocked off the puck way too easily. He's easily replaceable in the org.

Now what would we get for him is the question...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed. He just get knocked off the puck way too easily. He's easily replaceable in the org.

Now what would we get for him is the question...

He's also getting shrugged off when he tries to defend. It's like the book is out on him.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Hey all, Canucks fan here - planning to watch a few more TB games this year. :D Is Namestnikov a long-term fit with the Bolts at all? And if so, would that be more likely in top 6 or bottom 6 usage? I'm curious because from an outside perspective I think C depth is really the only question up front for you guys.

Plus Cooper seems to have a bit of a thing for being unable to keep Filppula on the 3rd line for very long. Still wish the Canucks had gotten him as coach instead of Desjardins though...

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Hey all, Canucks fan here - planning to watch a few more TB games this year. :D Is Namestnikov a long-term fit with the Bolts at all? And if so, would that be more likely in top 6 or bottom 6 usage? I'm curious because from an outside perspective I think C depth is really the only question up front for you guys.

Plus Cooper seems to have a bit of a thing for being unable to keep Filppula on the 3rd line for very long. Still wish the Canucks had gotten him as coach instead of Desjardins though...

Center depth an issue? Do you mean in Terms of having to many of them?
Stamkos - Johnson - Filppula - Namestnikov - Boyle - Paquette are all natural Centers on the NHL Team. Add in Peca and Point who both look to be potential future 2nd line Centers and Center is all of a sudden most likely our strongest Position. The way Drouin has played so far makes me want him to Play Center sooner than later as well to be honest.

Namestnikov just is the odd man out in every possible Scenario. He is not good enough to push Filppula or Johnson and we have no need to trade Flip yet. Peca or Point will likely have an easier road to Flips spot in 2 years. And Namestnikov is in no way suited for a bottom 6 role.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Don't know if this is the place to post it but oh well, here is the new PP units and I'm willing to give it a try, I like that they have Stamkos and Kucherov on different units since they are the snipers on our team and then they have Callahan and Killorn on different units since they both like to get infront of the net and sometimes they kind of run over eachother out there:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why does Flip have to be on that first unit?

Aside from that, Drouin's looked so good through 5 games that he has to be on the first unit. There's no denying him. He controls the play, and you want Stamkos across from him. Could work. But ugh... Flip. I think I'd rather see Killorn in that role than Flip. Or Palat.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
l like Garrison on the PP he is not afraid to shoot from the point. I wonder if Coop will be changing PK units? Which has shockingly been worse than the PP.

Also agree about Flip, why is he on the 1st unit? The other guys have earned that spot with Stamkos on the PP.
Maybe throw Johnson or Palat up there but then it might be too lopsided each unit. Need to separate TKO on the PP, imo.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
l like Garrison on the PP he is not afraid to shoot from the point. I wonder if Coop will be changing PK units? Which has shockingly been worse than the PP.

Also agree about Flip, why is he on the 1st unit? The other guys have earned that spot with Stamkos on the PP.
Maybe throw Johnson or Palat up there but then it might be too lopsided each unit. Need to separate TKO on the PP, imo.

It's more about: If Flip isn't running the PP, he really has no role on it. He's not a shooter, he's not a net presence. He's just kind of there. I'd rather have a guy out there winning battles in the corners and prolonging possession. One of our main PP issues is we seem to lose all the battles that, for whatever reason, we win at ES.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's more about: If Flip isn't running the PP, he really has no role on it. He's not a shooter, he's not a net presence. He's just kind of there. I'd rather have a guy out there winning battles in the corners and prolonging possession. One of our main PP issues is we seem to lose all the battles that, for whatever reason, we win at ES.

Yeah exactly. Also what was annoying last game you had two Dallas guys double teaming one player on the wall and not getting help, I mean what's the point of being on the PP when you can afford another body or two on the wall?

TheTriplets

May 18, 2015
Figured we needed a thread for these things, and I thought we could do them all in one. (A mod can split them up if I'm wrong.)

I'll get us started with this little item that showed up in Elliott Friedman's 30 Thoughts. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-aftermath-of-the-mike-richards-settlement/

Thought it was interesting that we took a look at Polak. How serious a look that was, of course, is anyone's guess.

I doubt it's very feasible to bring Chara in though, unless somehow Boston agreed to retain and took Matt Carle back as part of a package. Even then though, I doubt we'd want the money on the books with the deals we have to sign in the next 2-3 years. I think Chara is still a good defenseman, even if he's not OMGCHARA anymore. But I don't think we could make it work without hurting the team.

Cedric Paquette likes this.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Regarding Flip. Somebody has to win the faceoff. Who would you put, Boyle?

Honestly I wouldn't mind that, park him in front of the net. The way Boyles been playing he deserves pp time as much as anybody.

Stammer boyle drouin cally garrison

Palat johnson kucherov killorn hedman

Or something like that

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Regarding Flip. Somebody has to win the faceoff. Who would you put, Boyle?

But after that he is absolutely useless. I am so sick of seeing him get the puck in perfect shooting position only to slow the play down again and pass the puck. I think the wrist injury from a few years ago ruined his shot. He literally never shoots unless its a wrist shot, which you cant do from the half wall on a PP.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Honestly I wouldn't mind that, park him in front of the net. The way Boyles been playing he deserves pp time as much as anybody.

Was going to say the exact same thing. He would certainly hold his own in front of the net and give us a better chance for dirty goals. Flip is just useless when there is a better playmaker out there alongside him.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
But after that he is absolutely useless. I am so sick of seeing him get the puck in perfect shooting position only to slow the play down again and pass the puck. I think the wrist injury from a few years ago ruined his shot. He literally never shoots unless its a wrist shot, which you cant do from the half wall on a PP.

True that. Though there was that one PP goal he scored when he unexpectedly slapped it. Wasn't a great shot but it went in, lol. I do think the PP needs an injection of the work ethic that one of our hard working 4th liners would bring. Boyle certainly fits the bill.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm thinking when Pacquette is healthy he will get Namestnikovs time and Boyle will go back to center. His faceoffs is missed. Pacquette is missed on the PK. Brown and Namestnikov will rotate on the other forward.

Something else I will say is once the Triplets get back to where they were last year our team will be tough to beat. Because Stammer and Drouin are only going to get more chemistry going. Dangerous duo. I think the team is still getting back to full reg season shape and it is going to be something to watch when that happens.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
Feel like we have to go out and get ourselves another Top 4 D. After our Top 3 of Hedman-Stralman-Garrison, it's pretty meh :popcorn:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Center depth an issue? Do you mean in Terms of having to many of them?
Stamkos - Johnson - Filppula - Namestnikov - Boyle - Paquette are all natural Centers on the NHL Team. Add in Peca and Point who both look to be potential future 2nd line Centers and Center is all of a sudden most likely our strongest Position. The way Drouin has played so far makes me want him to Play Center sooner than later as well to be honest.

Namestnikov just is the odd man out in every possible Scenario. He is not good enough to push Filppula or Johnson and we have no need to trade Flip yet. Peca or Point will likely have an easier road to Flips spot in 2 years. And Namestnikov is in no way suited for a bottom 6 role.

Actually I should have been clearer about the center thing - for this season only, I could see it being the one issue up front if Cooper elects to move Filppula into the top 6 with Boyle/Paquette as 3C. Namestnikov I'm kind of curious about too, though what you said about him is not great to hear.

Has the coach shown any inclination of trying Drouin at center as well?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Actually I should have been clearer about the center thing - for this season only, I could see it being the one issue up front if Cooper elects to move Filppula into the top 6 with Boyle/Paquette as 3C. Namestnikov I'm kind of curious about too, though what you said about him is not great to hear.

Has the coach shown any inclination of trying Drouin at center as well?

Still not sure what you mean, why would Filppula go to the top-6 when there's Stamkos and Johnson?

Even if Filppula moves to the top-6 for some reason, Paquette and Boyle would play 3rd/4th line centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad