Speculation: 2015/2016 TBL Roster, Rumors, and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Figured we needed a thread for these things, and I thought we could do them all in one. (A mod can split them up if I'm wrong.)

I'll get us started with this little item that showed up in Elliott Friedman's 30 Thoughts. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-aftermath-of-the-mike-richards-settlement/

7. If a Chara deal ever did happen, I’d love to see him with the Lightning. That would be quite a match. They like to play fast, but they checked out Roman Polak last season, so are interested in something a little different. But I’ve got no idea how they could make it work under the cap. Same with the Columbus Blue Jackets. That’s another team Chara could positively impact, but has difficult contract permutations. Edmonton could certainly handle it and Peter Chiarelli loves him. But can anyone see the Bruins making that deal?

Thought it was interesting that we took a look at Polak. How serious a look that was, of course, is anyone's guess.

I doubt it's very feasible to bring Chara in though, unless somehow Boston agreed to retain and took Matt Carle back as part of a package. Even then though, I doubt we'd want the money on the books with the deals we have to sign in the next 2-3 years. I think Chara is still a good defenseman, even if he's not OMGCHARA anymore. But I don't think we could make it work without hurting the team.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I could see Boston moving some players but I don't think Tampa will be involved in any of the trades/moves. Tampa doesn't have much wiggle room with the cap and the signings still needed to be made

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
does anyone know how much cap room with have counting ohlund ltir now ? for us to make a deal i'm pretty sure carle would have to be traded ?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Chara sucks now. He's old and slow. Speed kills and his lack of it would kill us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't see any possible way of Chara making his way to Tampa, unless as mentioned Matt Carle is involved.

Even then, it'd be hard to do it. The point of getting Carle's money off the books, mainly, is to give that money to Stamkos, Hedman, and Kucherov. Not to give it to Chara.

In a world without a salary cap, I think Chara would look good as a Bolt. He wouldn't have nearly the responsibility here as he does in Boston, and he's still a solid defenseman. Unfortunately, the cap does exist, and I don't want to risk the core of the team for a complementary piece.

As of now, I think Coburn walks at the end of this year. Hopefully he can turn his game around and help us on another playoff run beforehand. That might buy us time on Carle's contract, or maybe Carle will be gone too. He's a lot easier to replace, with Koekkoek and Nesterov right there on his heels.

Last edited:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
If they retain as much as possible, take Carle at full value, and throw in a 1st I would consider it. Aside from that, he's past his usefulness to Tampa aside from a bomb on the PP.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
Unless TB loses one of Hedman, Stralman, Garrison or Coburn to injury, I can't imagine Yzerman having any interest in adding a capable vet defender with any sort of significant price tag, let alone one with any term beyond this season. TB needs to start shedding both salary and spots starting next summer. Chars helps with neither.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
As of now, I think Coburn walks at the end of this year. Hopefully he can turn his game around and help us on another playoff run beforehand. That might buy us time on Carle's contract, or maybe Carle will be gone too. He's a lot easier to replace, with Koekkoek and Nesterov right there on his heels.

The only way extending Coburn makes any sense is if the TB's brass resolves to part ways with Stamkos after this season. Even then, the club would be better off letting Eric Brewer be the cautionary tale and avoid doling out the kind of term it would probably take to keep Coburn from testing the waters as a UFA.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only way extending Coburn makes any sense is if the TB's brass resolves to part ways with Stamkos after this season. Even then, the club would be better off letting Eric Brewer be the cautionary tale and avoid doling out the kind of term it would probably take to keep Coburn from testing the waters as a UFA.

Yeah, I don't see us keeping Coburn. I also don't see us trading him, since we'll need him for the playoffs. Maybe if we somehow acquire another RHD, making him expendable, but I doubt that happens. I think he simply goes UFA. Which means we'll probably need to replace him next year. Can't see DeAngelo being ready for such a big role so soon, and I don't think Sustr's ever going to be ready for that role.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Moving Carle would solve like... 80% of Tampa's problems. That's one contract Yzerman probably wants back.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Forget a Chara trade. The only Bruin that I have even the slightest interest in is Krejci and I don't want to see us lose what it would take to get him. The Lightning are at the point where very few trades will actually improve our team unless they are blatantly lopsided. It would be roster player for roster player since we pretty much HAVE TO hang onto our prospects.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Forget a Chara trade. The only Bruin that I have even the slightest interest in is Krejci and I don't want to see us lose what it would take to get him. The Lightning are at the point where very few trades will actually improve our team unless they are blatantly lopsided. It would be roster player for roster player since we pretty much HAVE TO hang onto our prospects.

The one thing I think we need (still) is an RHD to replace Coburn next year (and thus, replace Sustr right now). Preferably one who doesn't make a lot of money.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
What about taking a shot at Boyle (2m retained)? Sustr to the Rangers for Boyle (2m) retained, can use him as a 7th Dman on the PP with Nesterov playing as the 6th D.

Able to get rid of Sustr a year earlier, and Boyle's contract expires at the end of this season.

lightningfanqc

Oct 30, 2009
Nordiques City
The best would be Matt Carle pulling out a Paul Ranger.....Andrej Sustr getting time in the gym and in the AHL....and Nesterov turning from a lefty to a righty....but I know it's impossible hahaha. As long one of Sustr or Carle isn't on the ice, i can deal with that. When they are playing in together, I'm always thinking ''Do Cooper see the same thing I do?''....since its the NHL and not a beer league why keeping its horrific thing called the Suscarle monster on the ice? :P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The best would be Matt Carle pulling out a Paul Ranger.....Andrej Sustr getting time in the gym and in the AHL....and Nesterov turning from a lefty to a righty....but I know it's impossible hahaha. As long one of Sustr or Carle isn't on the ice, i can deal with that. When they are playing in together, I'm always thinking ''Do Cooper see the same thing I do?''....since its the NHL and not a beer league why keeping its horrific thing called the Suscarle monster on the ice? :P

I don't think the gym is going to help Sustr. He just doesn't have the skillset, nor the mindset, to be much more than what he is now.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Him being a healthy scratch is telling in my mind. I feel like Coop is close to done waiting for him to "put it together" as it were.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Him being a healthy scratch is telling in my mind. I feel like Coop is close to done waiting for him to "put it together" as it were.

Not necessarily, Nesterov needs to get playing time as well and none of the Vets are going to sit.

Samething when Paquette needs to get in the lineup, Namestinkov or Brown will sit, doesn't mean they're in the hotseat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad