Proposal: 2015-2016 Season Trade Rumours & Proposals | Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
Murray has been pretty clear that they won't be adding any UFAs at the deadline, and if they add it'll be "young player".

Similar to the Phaneuf deal, if there is a trade that makes Ottawa a better team long term, I don't think Murray should wait until the off season because he is in fear of dropping the team from 5th worst to 9th worst and get a worse draft pick as a lot of people suggest he should be.

Who knows if the Phaneuf trade would have been on the table in the off-season. Same deal with Drouin or whoever else Murray is looking to add. A lot can change from the deadline to the off season.
With a declining cap not only would the Phaneuf deal be on the table in the off-season, it might have cost less. At this time the asking price for many trades is good young players (Lindberg in the Phaneuf deal). As said on HNIC yesterday, Fletcher didn't want to pay that price and fired Yeo instead. Sure if a good deal presents itself, take it, but note that trade costs will be lower in the off-season. The Phaneuf trade was a Hail Mary attempt at the playoffs, and now no more desperate moves at giving Melnyk his playoff revenue fix.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
With a declining cap not only would the Phaneuf deal be on the table in the off-season, it might have cost less. At this time the asking price for many trades is good young players (Lindberg in the Phaneuf deal). As said on HNIC yesterday, Fletcher didn't want to pay that price and fired Yeo instead. Sure if a good deal presents itself, take it, but note that trade costs will be lower in the off-season. The Phaneuf trade was a Hail Mary attempt at the playoffs, and now no more desperate moves at giving Melnyk his playoff revenue fix.

I disagree that it was a hail mary.

It was more like the perfect storm.

It was the only trade he could make that could net a top 4D while saving millions of real dollars for this year/next year/year after that... while yes, also in theory giving thr Sens a better chance at the playoffs when odds were fading fast.

There wont be any more big money shedding + immediate improvement deals , so no more big trades are incoming.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

I don't get how it was a hail mary. He's now part of the long term plan of solidifying the weakest part of this team over the last several years.

We now have a D core of top 4 guys who can actually fill the role, rather than having tweeners.

We didn't give up a significant piece of the move forward plan in doing so. Lindberg has upside, but he's still a B prospect.

The only downfall of this trade is Phaneuf's contract, but the outcome will be decided on his play over the next 5 years. I doubt he'll earn the cap hit, but he will earn the real dollars.

A hail mary attempt at the playoffs would be trading for a rental, not a guy who the team has long term plans for.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As long as we don't move any of our kids or our first round pick.

Doesn't look like we're making the playoffs this year, so there's no reason to jettison any more prospects.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There

Agree completely with this. While I like the deal, I found it disappointing that Murray had inquired about Phaneuf earlier in the season and just didn't pursue it. It was pretty evident early on that a top 4 D was needed, and Phaneuf in November or December before the season is lost could have made a real difference. If there is anyway to move Smith, Weircoch, Neil, Chiasson in the next couple of weeks then have at it. If there's a market for Boro and Wideman, great, get it done. Prince, Puempal and Lazar are all assets I'd like to see the Sens retain, but if there is a deal to be made that improves the team for next year so be it.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
I don't get how it was a hail mary. He's now part of the long term plan of solidifying the weakest part of this team over the last several years.

We now have a D core of top 4 guys who can actually fill the role, rather than having tweeners.

We didn't give up a significant piece of the move forward plan in doing so. Lindberg has upside, but he's still a B prospect.

The only downfall of this trade is Phaneuf's contract, but the outcome will be decided on his play over the next 5 years. I doubt he'll earn the cap hit, but he will earn the real dollars.

A hail mary attempt at the playoffs would be trading for a rental, not a guy who the team has long term plans for.

Hail Mary due to the timing - if that was a deal the Leafs could live with, why not make it in November when there was time to salvage a playoff berth? Instead, with really only a slight chance at playoffs Murray throws this one up. I agree, Phaneuf is part of a longer term plan now, but that would have been the same 2 months ago.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Hail Mary due to the timing - if that was a deal the Leafs could live with, why not make it in November when there was time to salvage a playoff berth? Instead, with really only a slight chance at playoffs Murray throws this one up. I agree, Phaneuf is part of a longer term plan now, but that would have been the same 2 months ago.

And how do we know that Toronto wasn't asking for more 2 months ago? Maybe they wanted a 1st and Murray wouldnt do it. As the year moved on and Toronto got less interest in what they wanted and they settled on Ottawa's offer.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
And how do we know that Toronto wasn't asking for more 2 months ago? Maybe they wanted a 1st and Murray wouldnt do it. As the year moved on and Toronto got less interest in what they wanted and they settled on Ottawa's offer.

Murray didn't indicate at all that the price was too high in his presser, rather that he and Lou had talked and then let the idea "lay low" until last Saturday when they spent time going back and forth on the pieces. Murray was emphatic that it had to make sense financially (and this deal would have made as much financial sense in November as it did in February - more from a Sens view). You suggest the Leafs may have wanted a first, equally as likely is that Murray could have been asking for retained salary. Conjecture on both our parts. I agree with the OP on the "Hail Mary" assertion because of the timing - if Toronto was getting less interest and if the cap does go down/stay the same, then it's entirely likely the Sens would have paid less at the draft/in the off season for Phaneuf (yes, yet more conjecture, but reasoned ... I think).

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
If as reported, the Sens wanted the Leafs to retain salary , and Lou said we'll take Michalek instead, wasn't Michalek in the lineup playing in the Top 6 at that point in the year?

So he probably wasn't even in the picture at that point, Murray would have wanted salary retained, which I imagine the Leafs were not keen on trading their Captain 1 month into the season with no real return to speak of and salary retained.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If as reported, the Sens wanted the Leafs to retain salary , and Lou said we'll take Michalek instead, wasn't Michalek in the lineup playing in the Top 6 at that point in the year?

So he probably wasn't even in the picture at that point, Murray would have wanted salary retained, which I imagine the Leafs were not keen on trading their Captain 1 month into the season with no real return to speak of and salary retained.

There are some that don't think the Leafs really wanted Greening and Cowan but it was take them or retain some of Dions salary.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
At the rate we're going we're probably going to end up with a top 3 pick. We better not include our 1st in any deal we may make.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
At the rate we're going we're probably going to end up with a top 3 pick.
i doubt that because we have strong players who will remain past the deadline, and once the pressure if off and we're playing loose, we'll finish the season off strong

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
At the rate we're going we're probably going to end up with a top 3 pick. We better not include our 1st in any deal we may make.

There's no way we can be as bad as the 3-5 worst teams in the league.

Everyone below us is going to start selling off key pieces very soon, and we are largely going to remain static (even if we sell off the spare parts, it won't really affect us much... moving a Neil or a Wiercioch or similar players really doesn't have any effect on our W/L record).

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast

Everyone below us is going to start selling off key pieces very soon, and we are largely going to remain static (even if we sell off the spare parts, it won't really affect us much... moving a Neil or a Wiercioch or similar players really doesn't have any effect on our W/L record).

There is only 7 points that separate us from the bottom, i get what you're saying but it is possible.

yoplait

May 4, 2011

If anything moving those pieces would only move us forward.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
BM should be very active at trade deadline.
Our D is again overpopulated:
Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Then Wideman,Wier, Claeson, Boro, Phillips(?) and who knows maybe Chabot.
Someone hopes that we dont sell our youngsters or draft pick. OK, but then we see same lineup next season.
Turris, Ryan, Hoffman,Zibby,Stone, Pageau,Smith,Lazar,MacArthur(?) its 9 F guaranteed next season. 10 cause Neil will be resigned even as 13 forward.
Then we have Puempel, Prince, Dzingel, Chiasson(?), Paul, White(?)
Again too many bodys. Or if some goes to AHL, same lineup. BM need to make some huge firesale to bring new blood. I would start with Zibby, who is the embodiment of "Country Club" mentality.
Same team, same coach=same result. Do we want this ?

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Someone hopes that we dont sell our youngsters or draft pick. OK, but then we see same lineup next season.
Turris, Ryan, Hoffman,Zibby,Stone, Pageau,Smith,Lazar,MacArthur(?) its 9 F guaranteed next season. 10 cause Neil will be resigned even as 13 forward.
Again too many bodys. Or if some goes to AHL, same lineup. BM need to make some huge firesale to bring new blood. I would start with Zibby, who is the embodiment of "Country Club" mentality.

I don't think Neil will be back as for Philips i could see him retiring now as for other moves Chiasson/Price/Zibby i could see being moved.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci

Phillips will retire. Claesson is a 6th/7th defenseman on a good team. Wiercioch may have some value in a trade given his underlying possession numbers (not so much his point production numbers) and if he's not going to be played here they may as well make a trade and get an asset back. Even if it's just a pick. Then the D next year is....

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
(Claesson)

And Chabot and Englund can continue to develop. This is not a terrible strategy. The D has been addressed and has stabilized. At least for the next 2 - 3 years. It's time now to get the team back in the black from a puck-possession standpoint so they're not trying to simply survive every game as an all-out assault. This team has talent. It is being used poorly. Address that.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
There is only 7 points that separate us from the bottom, i get what you're saying but it is possible.

The Sens are 1 uncooperative piece of frozen chicken away from playing Hammond the rest of the way. If that happens then I think that possibility becomes very real.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
I'm not saying we are as bad as the bottom 4 teams in the league, of course we're not. But unfortunately based on results Calgary and Winnipeg passing us is not only a possibility, it's likely.

That would only put us above Columbus, Toronto, Buffalo, and Edmonton in the league standings, and with the draft pick format this year I'd say we have a decent chance of picking top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad