2015-2016 powerplay

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hall and yak on right half wall so thats 2 positions filled, Lander, Pouliot or Drais infront/ behind the net, Schultz, Klefbom and sekera are the only offensive minded dmen we have so that leaves 1 point spot open.

McDavid-Lander-Yak
Schultz-Klefbom

McDavid being the wizard on this PP and Yak on the right half wall for 1 timers, Klefbom also at the point with his shot with Lander in front getting greasy.

Eberle-Pouliot-Hall
RNH-Sekera

RNH is the wizard on this line and the only reason hes at the point is because there's no one else good enough defensively to handle it as well as no other dmen who are good enough offensively to do it. Hall and Eberle primed at the left and right half walls with Pouliot in front/behind the net.

Also for someone who asked for it heres a break down of the SJ powerplay http://oilersnation.com/2015/8/21/learning-from-the-san-jose-sharks-power-play

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
-
--------------McDavid
Eberle----------------
-------------------RNH
----Sekera-------Yakupov

-
Hall-------------------
-------------------Lander
Purcell--------------Draisaitl
----------Schultz---------

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I tried to make some PP options, but damn we got alot of tools. Im pumped to see a great PP coach put it together

We have some of the best PP QBs in the league in McDavid and RNH. Some players who can crush the PP with elite shots in Eberle/Hall/Yak and Some good PP D in Sekera/Schultz/maybe Klefbom

and even a guy like Lander could fill Smyth/Horcoff grease role

Ill give it a go: id like to see McDavid-Yak-Hall- Lander-Schultz on one PP. Use this PP as a umberella with Mcdavid at the top (played this role in jr.) Have Yak and Schultz on his sides for one timers. Lander plays in the middle creating havoc, Hall plays on the low right side also striving on choas and is a good Yak outlet

--------- Lander-----Hall
Schultz------------- Yak
--------- McJesus

Second PP is RNH-Eberle-Poo-Sekera-klefbom. This is a PP with RNH as QB on the half wing. Eberle playing rover on other side (great chemistry there). And Poo playing Halls role down low where he is good. Have Sekera and Klefbom up top for heavy shots

---------------- Poo
Eberle ---------RNH
Klefbom-------Sekera

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Someone did a pretty good video compilation of the SJ PP.

The way TM mucks it up on the powerplay, is to move the puck around as fast as possible to create as much chaos as possible. It isn't about screening the goalie, shots from the point or set plays. It simply looked like generation of chaos.

Net Presence isn't necessarily required. Neither was a booming shot from the point. San Jose made it work without either.

That is right in Halls wheel house. I read somewhere else that his PP is all about getting shots quickly off the rush. They dont spend much time setting up (which we were absolutely brutal last year). Mcdavid is so deadly off the rush (controlled chaos) and Hall is too (overall chaos) that theyll be perfect for his PP

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I tried to make some PP options, but damn we got alot of tools. Im pumped to see a great PP coach put it together

We have some of the best PP QBs in the league in McDavid and RNH. Some players who can crush the PP with elite shots in Eberle/Hall/Yak and Some good PP D in Sekera/Schultz/maybe Klefbom

and even a guy like Lander could fill Smyth/Horcoff grease role

Ill give it a go: id like to see McDavid-Yak-Hall- Lander-Schultz on one PP. Use this PP as a umberella with Mcdavid at the top (played this role in jr.) Have Yak and Schultz on his sides for one timers. Lander plays in the middle creating havoc, Hall plays on the low right side also striving on choas and is a good Yak outlet

--------- Lander-----Hall
Schultz------------- Yak
--------- McJesus

Second PP is RNH-Eberle-Poo-Sekera-klefbom. This is a PP with RNH as QB on the half wing. Eberle playing rover on other side (great chemistry there). And Poo playing Halls role down low where he is good. Have Sekera and Klefbom up top for heavy shots

---------------- Poo
Eberle ---------RNH
Klefbom-------Sekera

Every single clip I've seen of McDavid on a PP (including WJ's) he is playing low on the right faceoff circle or just up top.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Every single clip I've seen of McDavid on a PP (including WJ's) he is playing low on the right faceoff circle or just up top.

Possibly, im no PP expert tho. Ive seen him play higher than RNH on the half wall. So its like half way between where RNH plays and where I have him. Although now i think about it, it might reduce his effectiveness because he cant sneak in from top circle for a shot

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Possibly, im no PP expert tho. Ive seen him play higher than RNH on the half wall. So its like half way between where RNH plays and where I have him. Although now i think about it, it might reduce his effectiveness because he cant sneak in from top circle for a shot

I think McDavid down low just to the right of the net and Nuge up high would be deadly. Imagine all the McDavid/RNH to Eberle plays available with those two. :amazed:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think McDavid down low just to the right of the net and Nuge up high would be deadly. Imagine all the McDavid/RNH to Eberle plays available with those two. :amazed:

Its going to be crazy, but i need to temper expectations :laugh: I thought Ramsey would save the PP

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You load up one PP unit to the nuts. You get the first faceoff in the opposing zone, you take full advantage of that.

Hall Mcdavid at the goalposts bottom of circles.
Nuge on the half boards.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
------------------McDavid------------------------

___________I The Victim I________________

-----------------Hall------------------------

------------------------------------Eberle---

---------Schultz---------Sekera---------------

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Makes more sense to have a right shot on the left side during a powerplay. Helps set up the one-timer.

Eberle - McDavid - Hall
Schultz - Nuge

Purcell - Lander - Yakupov
Klefbom - Sekera

Maybe sub in Pouliot at times.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Someone did a pretty good video compilation of the SJ PP.

The way TM mucks it up on the powerplay, is to move the puck around as fast as possible to create as much chaos as possible. It isn't about screening the goalie, shots from the point or set plays. It simply looked like generation of chaos.

Net Presence isn't necessarily required. Neither was a booming shot from the point. San Jose made it work without either.

I like this approach. From what I remember, Burns was all over the place on the SJ PP. This could get the best out of Schultz - he's got the skating and puck skills (obviously lacks Burns' size, strength and shot). It's a very aggressive system that relies on players making the right reads as players rotate to different spots, but this will be better for Schultz than when he was exclusively at the point and never seemed to know whether to retreat or hold the line, usually resulting in odd man rushes or breakaways.

We've got the right guys for the job. I'd deploy it like this:

1st unit:

Ebs---------Hall

-------------McDavid
Purcell
-------------Schultz

I liked how Purcell would occasionally creep into the high slot on the PP. Dude has a laser.

2nd unit:

Pouliot-------Yak
---------------Nuge
Sekera------Klefbom

The only issue with this unit is they are all lefties, but I don't think it's a big deal (the Red Wings have managed the last few years). The idea behind this unit is they get the final :45 and if the play shifts to our end as the penalty expires, we have the right personnel on the ice to survive.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
you know what creates chaos? a screened goalie and shots on net ;)

The predictability of the Oilers PP made it un-chaotic.

Why have a player parked on the half wall, or parked on the point.. where everyone knows where everyone is all the time.

The way it worked SUCCESSFULLY in San Jose, was getting the Dman to pinch to the half-wall, have the wingers cross over, then have the Half-wall guy creep into the slot, and the puck carrier swing behind the net, to another crossing over winger, then passing to a pinching Dman in the slot... confusing the hell out of the PK, and creating odd-man rushes down low.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
PP1:

--------Hall---------
McDavid-----------Yakupov
---------------------
Sekera------Schultz

PP2:

------Pouliot-------
Eberle-------RNH
--------------------
Klefbom------Nurse

Non power play lines:

Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/McDavid/Yakupov

Arguably 2 #1 PP units and an emphasis placed on chemistry as PP lines are the same as even strength lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad