2015-2016 powerplay

Jun 22, 2009
It's no secret that the Oilers PP has been pretty putrid during the Eakins and co era, but with the substitution of Mclellan and his coaching staff, where do you see this PP ranking league wide? The new coaching staff has a good resume in SJ, finishing top 10 on the PP in 6 of the last 7 years. The Oilers have all the right PP weapons, I don't see why they can't be a top 5 PP this year.

This would be my setup going into next year.

PP 1:

Hall-McDavid-Lander
Sekera-Yakupov

PP 2:

Poulliot-RNH-Eberle
Schultz-Nikitin

Whats your opinion on where the PP will rank this year, and how would you format the lines?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I don't think we will start with this, but I think the ultimate first unit is

RNH ---- Schultz

McDavid---Hall---- Eberle

Second unit is whats left

Klef-----Sekara

Yaks-----Purcell-----Drai

But that first unit would be deadly, beyond deadly really.

Jun 22, 2009

RNH ---- Schultz

Klef-----Sekara

I think Lander and Poulliot provide a good net presence. That's why I have them both on different units.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's no secret that the Oilers PP has been pretty putrid during the Eakins and co era, but with the substitution of Mclellan and his coaching staff, where do you see this PP ranking league wide? The new coaching staff has a good resume in SJ, finishing top 10 on the PP in 6 of the last 7 years. The Oilers have all the right PP weapons, I don't see why they can't be a top 5 PP this year.

PP 1:

Hall-McDavid-Lander
Sekera-Yakupov

PP 2:

Poulliot-RNH-Eberle
Schultz-Nikitin

Whats your opinion on where the PP will rank this year, and how would you format the lines?

I'd do those exact lines but maybe purcell splitting time with lander and Klefbom taking nikitins spot when ference plays

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think Lander and Poulliot provide a good net presence. That's why I have them both on different units.

The good net presence is not really a good idea. I don't like having a guy like Gordon out there, sure you win the draw and he can stand in front, but the best pp units don't work like that. The thought of Lander on the first unit is just a bad idea IMO. McClelland ran his pp in SJ with the best players. He never stuck a Lander on the first unit. So I expect he won't this year.

Jun 22, 2009
The good net presence is not really a good idea. I don't like having a guy like Gordon out there, sure you win the draw and he can stand in front, but the best pp units don't work like that. The thought of Lander on the first unit is just a bad idea IMO. McClelland ran his pp in SJ with the best players. He never stuck a Lander on the first unit. So I expect he won't this year.

Lander and Poulliot are not Gordon. Both can keep up with the play, and have good hands in tight.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

RNH ---- Schultz

Klef-----Sekara

I'll disagree with you in that I believe there needs to be at least one person willing to muck it up in front of the net on every unit.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I'll disagree with you in that I believe there needs to be at least one person willing to muck it up in front of the net on every unit.

yes that would make our defensemen usefull on a powerplay for shooting at the net, otherwise it's the same old goalie will see every puck they throw on net like the last few years.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Someone did a pretty good video compilation of the SJ PP.

The way TM mucks it up on the powerplay, is to move the puck around as fast as possible to create as much chaos as possible. It isn't about screening the goalie, shots from the point or set plays. It simply looked like generation of chaos.

Net Presence isn't necessarily required. Neither was a booming shot from the point. San Jose made it work without either.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
PP1

Eberle/Hall/RNH

McDavid/Schultz

PP2

Pouliot/Lander/Yakupov

Klefbom/Sekera

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

The way TM mucks it up on the powerplay, is to move the puck around as fast as possible to create as much chaos as possible. It isn't about screening the goalie, shots from the point or set plays. It simply looked like generation of chaos.

Net Presence isn't necessarily required. Neither was a booming shot from the point. San Jose made it work without either.

Good call.

It will be an exciting change from the, "wait on the right half wall for 1:30 mins, pass to Schultz and watch him fumble the puck out of the zone," scheme we've been following for forever.

I think McLellan's PP style will fit perfectly with this group.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Also, just because I want to refute OP in another way than his PP set up and players, what was our PP under Nelson sans the first 10 games with MacT.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The other option would be to let. Yak hit the half wall

Pouliot-rnh-eberle
Sekera-schultz

Hall-lander-yakupov
Klef-mcdavid

I have no idea

Jun 22, 2009
Also, just because I want to refute OP in another way than his PP set up and players, what was our PP under Nelson sans the first 10 games with MacT.

I don't have access to those stats, but if my memory serves correct, they improved by a pretty substantial amount after Eakins got the boot.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

PP 1:

Hall-McDavid-Lander
Sekera-Yakupov

PP 2:

Poulliot-RNH-Eberle
Schultz-Nikitin

I like both point options. Yakupov gets paired with a solid 2-way defenceman and Nikitin gets featured on the 2nd unit and also has a good shot.

I don't like the forward setups though. 1st unit i'd go with;

Eberle-Lander-Mcdavid

2nd unit would be;

Hall-Pouliot-RNH

If Draisaitl makes the team then he takes either Lander or Pouliot's spot. Purcell can be a temp fill in.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Todd Nelson's powerplay had a huge spurt of around 25%, and then fell off again after the Petry trade and injuries we had. After a dip, it recovered to a decent percentage after.

Eakins PP: 12/93 12.9%
Eakins PK: 18/87 79.3%

Nelson PP: 29/139 20.9%
Nelson PK: 33/132 75.0%

Nelson's numbers include the time MacT was behind the bench, but I think these numbers are representative. I do recall our PK was bad. Without MacT/Nelson period the numbers would probably be a touch better for Nelson. I recall those games being losses.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Good call.

It will be an exciting change from the, "wait on the right half wall for 1:30 mins, pass to Schultz and watch him fumble the puck out of the zone," scheme we've been following for forever.

I think McLellan's PP style will fit perfectly with this group.

My sense of the oilers goal scoring in the recent past has been transition and rush scoring is great some great plays but usually a lack of cohesion.

Like a delay between a shot on net and someone going to the net for a rebound or someone trying to create confusion in front of the net and instead of passing to get a quick shot they try to cycle

Or the defense doesn't hit the net or the winger misses the net

Or the centre evades a cheque to keep the play going but the winger looses it instantly

Ie sloppy plays
Specifically when they don't use their speed.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015

you know what creates chaos? a screened goalie and shots on net ;)

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Would like to see Yakupov play the point and I'd like to see him either
A: Shoot from the point.
B: Skate the puck in and then
*B: Shoot if the shot is there and cycle back to the point if the shot doesn't work.
**B: Take the puck to the outside and make a pass from behind the net and have the winger on his side switch to the point when his play is made.
***B: make a cross ice pass to either the opposite winger or the center. Either cycle back to the point or go crash the other side of the net in case a rebound or a pass comes his way.

Yakupov is a great passer, an unselfish player and one hell of an athlete and if I were the coach I'd be telling him to be the guy to start the execution of plays whenever the team is set up in the PP zone.

Hall-Mcdavid-Eberle
Sekera-Yakupov

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Would like to see Yakupov play the point and I'd like to see him either
A: Shoot from the point.
B: Skate the puck in and then
*B: Shoot if the shot is there and cycle back to the point if the shot doesn't work.
**B: Take the puck to the outside and make a pass from behind the net and have the winger on his side switch to the point when his play is made.
***B: make a cross ice pass to either the opposite winger or the center. Either cycle back to the point or go crash the other side of the net in case a rebound or a pass comes his way.

Yakupov is a great passer, an unselfish player and one hell of an athlete and if I were the coach I'd be telling him to be the guy to start the execution of plays whenever the team is set up in the PP zone.

Hall-Mcdavid-Eberle
Sekera-Yakupov

Yakupov should be the last guy to set up plays in the PP Zone. McDavid and RNH are more suited for that role. I think Yakupov would be best suited on the right side close to the net where he scores most of his goals from

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yakupov should be the last guy to set up plays in the PP Zone. McDavid and RNH are more suited for that role. I think Yakupov would be best suited on the right side close to the net where he scores most of his goals from

He's got a great slapshot. Have Klefbom on one of the PP units and Yakupov on the other so that you've always got a good threat from the point. If there's no threat from the point the opposition can cover less of their zone on the PK and that makes it harder to score goals.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hall is not great on the power play at all. Our PP was its most red hot when he wasn't on it. On a healthy squad he would be on the 2nd unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00