Salary Cap: 2015 - 2016 New York Rangers Roster Building Thread Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
7m is still far too much in my eyes for Yandle. I think Staal-Spurgeon would make a better pairing than Yandle-Klein for example.

Without any doubt in my mind they'd make a better pairing

But Yandle should be on the top pair regardless. I have a hard time believing this front office so severely lacked foresight that they were going to pay a premium for one of the best point producing defensemen in the game, only to play him third pairing minutes. There's got to be some kind of plan to get him into the top 4.

That, and not sure why Minny would trade Spurgeon. They're not overflowing with RHD

Alphacat

Sep 1, 2011
New York
Giordano and Yandle aren't even in the same stratosphere.

I really don't believe Yandle will get any more than 7 million and I think even that is overdoing it.

Agreed. Gio won't get 9m either. I wouldn't worry... Yet.

We definitely need to keep Yandle he gives us a very important talent.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
So frustrating knowing that we were 2 moves from being an almost flawless team. Flawless might be too strong but its the best word I can think of. Replace Girardi and Glass with Stralman and someone who can actually play hockey. Man that would have been interesting.

It is good to be an optimist, but flawless is definitely not applicable, as that never happens.

I half agree with your sentence on replacing players. Glass, yes. Girardi, no.

the neverending argument around here :laugh:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

But Yandle should be on the top pair regardless. I have a hard time believing this front office so severely lacked foresight that they were going to pay a premium for one of the best point producing defensemen in the game, only to play him third pairing minutes. There's got to be some kind of plan to get him into the top 4.

That, and not sure why Minny would trade Spurgeon. They're not overflowing with RHD

I think that's entirely possible. Especially with the way AV sheltered him. I know new system and everything but still.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Then this FO are even ****ing stupider than I thought.
Yandle is a perfect defenseman for this system too...

Team has a lot of $ tied up in the D-corps...cheapest is Yandle and that's only because his cap his 50% retained; even then, $2.5M as your cheapest cap hit for a defenseman...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Probably wishful thinking on my part obviously, but Minny are right in with the Reilly signing and they would need to make capspace to re-sign Dubnyk as well.

Here was Russo's thoughts on the Wild's summer plans:

I still firmly believe the Wild may dangle Jared Spurgeon this summer. He's due $3.6 million this upcoming season and is a year away from restricted free agency. He will command a long-term deal at significant dollars the Wild may not be able to (or want to) afford with Matt Dumba emerging. I'm sure the Wild's very conflicted about this. Besides the fact that he's one of the Wild's best puck possession defensemen and a good citizen, the Wild found him, the Wild developed him.
Their defense core would be

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly

I can see why they would move him, but I would move another dman first if I were them.

Any team that lands Spurgeon will get a stud though. A player who can lead a pairing on his own.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Then this FO are even ****ing stupider than I thought.

Still think it was a shrewd move. They trade for Yandle with the expectation of him helping for these playoffs - which he did, now they can flip him back to recoup assets lost in the deal. Yandle at 2.875 will net a great return, even as a UFA.

Alphacat

Sep 1, 2011
New York
Can't believe we got Lindberg for Ethan Werek. Underrated deal.

If he can establish himself as a solid 4th line center for us and replace Moore eventually, then absolutely. It's interesting to see how these small scale prospect trades turn out years later.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Probably wishful thinking on my part obviously, but Minny are right in with the Reilly signing and they would need to make capspace to re-sign Dubnyk as well.

Their defense core would be

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Dumba
Reilly

I can see why they would move him, but I would move another dman first if I were them.

Any team that lands Spurgeon will get a stud though. A player who can lead a pairing on his own.

I don't know what we'd trade for Spurgeon but he'd be perfect for this team.

Alphacat

Sep 1, 2011
New York
Still think it was a shrewd move. They trade for Yandle with the expectation of him helping for these playoffs - which he did, now they can flip him back to recoup assets lost in the deal. Yandle at 2.875 will net a great return, even as a UFA.

Are you considering trading him more so to obtain lost pieces or out of fear of losing him for nothing if we can't afford him? If it's the former, I'd take Yandle over the pieces we might be able to procure.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Could they be interested in Skjei + picks perhaps?

Are you considering trading him more so to obtain lost pieces or out of fear of losing him for nothing if we can't afford him? If it's the former, I'd take Yandle over the pieces we might be able to procure.

More of the latter. I think he's a good player, but I ultimately don't think he'll be worth the contract he'd likely be able to get in free agency. The Rangers can get a better fit for this team at a cheaper cost IMO.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Could they be interested in Skjei + picks perhaps?

More of the latter. I think he's a good player, but I ultimately don't think he'll be worth the contract he'd likely be able to get in free agency. The Rangers can get a better fit for this team at a cheaper cost IMO.

Spurgeon is a midget. No way Sather moves Skjei. He's going to be a stud.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

What are Minnesota's biggest needs?

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Koivu-Neiderreiter
Xxx-Coyle-Vanek
Haula-Schroeder-Fontaine

That's what they look like right now

Maybe Hagelin? Although if they are moving cap thst doesnt work. I dont really know what we could move

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The way Spurgeon can control the puck under pressure is really something. That entire Minny D corps is really mobile, and he's a large part of that. Exactly what this team needs.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If the Rangers re-sign Hagelin and let MSL go, they will have literally 3 players that are under 6'.

Why is size such an "issue"?

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Why does this fanbase romanticize the **** out of physical players with oversold hockey ability?

Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Prust, every other team's power forward ever, and now Klein.

It's getting so old.

Mass generalizations are rather moronic. And if certain actions bug you, you can always ignore them. I mean, one could easily sit here, look at your laughable aggrandizing of your own hockey opinions, your frequent condescension of others', and say it's getting old. But frankly, it isn't worth getting worked up over.

Due to lack of overall interest, I'll touch only on your first player: Callahan. Yzerman, a successful NHL GM whose team just made the SCF, just gave Callahan a nice contract. You, a guy who has literally proven zero in the hockey world and does not have one shred of notable success you could allude to at any level, has a different opinion. Rather than blanket statement NYR fans, maybe you should ask Yzerman his feelings on the matter and ask him why he signed Cally.

Maybe also, idk, read the posts across NYR land? Many are suggesting to move KK. Is the suggestion to trade a player your idea of romanticizing the **** out him?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Mass generalizations are rather moronic. And if certain actions bug you, you can always ignore them. I mean, one could easily sit here, look at your laughable aggrandizing of your own hockey opinions, your frequent condescension of others', and say it's getting old. But frankly, it isn't worth getting worked up over.

Awesome, I'm glad you feel this way.

Due to lack of overall interest, I'll touch only on your first player: Callahan. Yzerman, a successful NHL GM whose team just made the SCF, just gave Callahan a nice contract. You, a guy who has literally proven zero in the hockey world and does not have one shred of notable success you could allude to at any level, has a different opinion. Rather than blanket statement NYR fans, maybe you should ask Yzerman his feelings on the matter and ask him why he signed Cally.

I love hearing that I'm so totally unqualified to make judgments on hockey players, from a person posting on the same hockey forum as me.

And I'm sure you didn't notice that this entire board routinely laughs at Callahan's contract.

Maybe also, idk, read the posts across NYR land? Many are suggesting to move KK. Is the suggestion to trade a player your idea of romanticizing the **** out him?

The suggestion to move Kevin Klein has nothing to do with it, the problem here is, historically, players that are more physical than others and have that warrior style get routinely oversold on their actual hockey ability.

The way Spurgeon can control the puck under pressure is really something. That entire Minny D corps is really mobile, and he's a large part of that. Exactly what this team needs.

Praying to based god that Brady Skjei becomes a Marco Scandella clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad