Marlies Discussion: 2015-2016 Marlies STACKED Discussion

mikebel111*

Soft as butter. No one will stick their neck out for himself or each other. They will be fast, as in a rabbit being fast when running from a fox. Soon there will be injuries as other teams bash them around. I predict they don't even make the playoffs. But I hope I'm wrong.

lol a big lol

yeah keep Devane and Broll. no hockey skill but hey who cares as long as they "defend each other"

seriously this will be a good team, sorry if you don't like that

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
Excuse me if this is the wrong thread/discussion, but does anyone here have experience with Marlies season tickets?
The games you couldn't make it to, were the tickets hard to sell? Did you manage to break even after selling some tickets and watch a few yourself?

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Soft as butter. No one will stick their neck out for himself or each other. They will be fast, as in a rabbit being fast when running from a fox. Soon there will be injuries as other teams bash them around. I predict they don't even make the playoffs. But I hope I'm wrong.

Holy captain devils advocate

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wish I lived in the GTA, I would attend a lot of Marlies games this year.

I guess Marner and the Knights will do.

I'm gonna have to go to the Barrie Colts games to see London due to geography, but i'll likely be making the voyage to see a bunch of Marlies games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What about these recent Marlie signings?

Director of Hockey Operations & AHL Governor Brad Lynn announced today that the Toronto Marlies have agreed to terms with defencemen Andrew Campbell and Brenden Miller along with forwards Christopher Clapperton, Brett Findlay and Patrick Watling.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Director of Hockey Operations & AHL Governor Brad Lynn announced today that the Toronto Marlies have agreed to terms with defencemen Andrew Campbell and Brenden Miller along with forwards Christopher Clapperton, Brett Findlay and Patrick Watling.

ECHL most likely. Injury replacements for the Marlies / if a Marlie gets called up to the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
ECHL most likely. Injury replacements for the Marlies / if a Marlie gets called up to the NHL.

Andrew Campbell, 27, was drafted 74th overall by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft after three seasons with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL). The Caledonia, Ontario native spent five seasons with the Manchester Monarchs (AHL), before making his NHL debut in 2013-14. The 6-4 defenceman most recently split time between the Arizona Coyotes and Portland Pirates (AHL) last season. In 36 career NHL games, Campbell has recorded one assist and 10 penalty minutes.

The AHL allows for the dressing of 5 vets and I can see Frattin, Rich Clune up front and Andrew Campbell and TJ Brennan on D.

mikebel111*

Under Gord Dineen, the Marlies were 26th in the AHL in Fenwick close though this is counting 67 games only. Now maybe part of it was using Carlyle's system

However under Steve Spott, the Marlies were I believe a top 15 team in possession. They also used Carlyle's system. Coaching plays a bigger part with how a team plays than you may think. Than of course the special teams play under both coaches was night and day

Under Spott, they were an above average PP team, and a good PK team

Under Dineen, they were terrible in both, and one of the reasons they were ousted in the 1st round

Now lets look at Sheldon Keefe

Under Keefe, they Greyhounds were the 4th best team in the OHL in terms of Fenwick close. They had the 3rd best PP, and were an average PK team.

Not knocking Dineen or propping up any one, I believe Gord is a better assistant coach than a head coach. If my memory serves correctly, when he was assistant coach, he would handle the PK which was pretty solid under Spott and even Eakins

We are going towards a puck possession approach which is great as a lot of the great teams have a good puck possession system and that is a big part of their success

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Under Gord Dineen, the Marlies were 26th in the AHL in Fenwick close though this is counting 67 games only. Now maybe part of it was using Carlyle's system

However under Steve Spott, the Marlies were I believe a top 15 team in possession. They also used Carlyle's system. Coaching plays a bigger part with how a team plays than you may think. Than of course the special teams play under both coaches was night and day

Under Spott, they were an above average PP team, and a good PK team

Under Dineen, they were terrible in both, and one of the reasons they were ousted in the 1st round

Now lets look at Sheldon Keefe

Under Keefe, they Greyhounds were the 4th best team in the OHL in terms of Fenwick close. They had the 3rd best PP, and were an average PK team.

Not knocking Dineen or propping up any one, I believe Gord is a better assistant coach than a head coach. If my memory serves correctly, when he was assistant coach, he would handle the PK which was pretty solid under Spott and even Eakins

We are going towards a puck possession approach which is great as a lot of the great teams have a good puck possession system and that is a big part of their success

you are right, Mike - Dineen was in charge of the PK (Spott had PP duty). which - if I remember correctly, this season our PP stank to high heaven.

I am going to be curious how our stats translate this season more so because we'll have a lot more prospects that the organization intends to move up, vs. counting on veterans and the like.

i am really going to endeavour to watch more Marlies.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Hi guys! I was wondering who I should expect to see in Orlando this year? You guys provided a lot of good players last year (Findlay, Watling, Finn, Biggs, Sparks) and I was curious to see who could be a Solar Bear come October.

Also, any chance Sparks comes back to Orlando? Or maybe one of the other two goalies?

mokspeed

Apr 30, 2012
Toronto
Excuse me if this is the wrong thread/discussion, but does anyone here have experience with Marlies season tickets?
The games you couldn't make it to, were the tickets hard to sell? Did you manage to break even after selling some tickets and watch a few yourself?

Don't have experience with the Marlies season tickets, but I know that in past year's it was easy to pickup last minute tickets to games - that being said, the Marlies were never as good as they forecast to be this year...

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Hi guys! I was wondering who I should expect to see in Orlando this year? You guys provided a lot of good players last year (Findlay, Watling, Finn, Biggs, Sparks) and I was curious to see who could be a Solar Bear come October.

Also, any chance Sparks comes back to Orlando? Or maybe one of the other two goalies?

I'd say that Sparks is the odd man out again for goalies. Some believe Verhaeghe may get sent down for more playing time, but if that's the case he could go back for an overage season in Niagra. Other than that, it's basically a toss up. Finn's in a lot better shape this year and guys like Vail and Watling deserve a shot at the Marlies.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I wish I lived in the GTA, I would attend a lot of Marlies games this year.

I guess Marner and the Knights will do.

Already got rookie tourny tickets :handclap:

I have gone to at least 1 Knights game every year since I can remember. All the way back to the old ice park. During the early to mid 2000s I probably saw 20-30 games a year. Last year was the 1st time I didn't see a game.

With Marner on the Knights I will be taking advantage of seeing them again.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Sparks will be back. You'll likely see Watling and Findlay again. Rupert(s). Any of the AHL guys we signed (list above).

Verhaeghe, Gauthier could be there at times, same with Finn. Depending on how heavily Dubas plans on using Orlando for development. We know he will use it, but how far will he go?

Hard to say this early.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Biggs was traded to Pittsburgh in the famous Kessel deal. There is a very strong chance of Sparks staying in Orlando this year. Our defence is pretty deep (relatively speaking) - so Valiev, Finn have a decent chance of playing for Orlando. Findlay, Watling, the Rupert brothers, Verhaeghe, Manderson, Rodewald and maybe even some of the people we just brought in, like Hyman or Soshnikov have a chance of being on Orlando's roster as well.

The Marlies lineup isnt as stacked as the title of this thread would like you to believe but there will certainly be some quality players that will make their way to the Solar Bears from Toronto.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005

They make sense.

While it's fun for us to make up "all prospect" lineups here, as Babcock says - you need these guys to develop in a 'safe' environment.

Everyone tries to make the Big Club. If guys like Harrington, Hyman, and the such don't -
Then everyone tries to make the Marlies.

Guys like Nylander, Leipsic, Kapanen, Brown, Percy and possibly Harrington (etc) are a lock. There are going to be extra spots, and as opposed to just handing those spots to guys like Verheaghe and Valiev - they have to earn them against the likes of these recent signings. Whomever doesn't make it - plays for Orlando.

Also to consider - once the trade deadline passes, the organization depth will be needed at all levels.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005

Keep an eye on Carter Verheaghe for us! :handclap: He has some good upside, but will likely need a year in Orlando before moving up to the Marlies.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010

Im in camp all week with Sparks. Good guy. Id expect him back, unless we trade one of reimer/bernier. However I wouldnt put it past him outplaying Bibeau and you guys having Bibeau down there as a starter.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

You may be the first person to ever describe Biggs as "good"

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I'd say that Sparks is the odd man out again for goalies. Some believe Verhaeghe may get sent down for more playing time, but if that's the case he could go back for an overage season in Niagra. Other than that, it's basically a toss up. Finn's in a lot better shape this year and guys like Vail and Watling deserve a shot at the Marlies.

Sparks will be back. You'll likely see Watling and Findlay again. Rupert(s). Any of the AHL guys we signed (list above).

Verhaeghe, Gauthier could be there at times, same with Finn. Depending on how heavily Dubas plans on using Orlando for development. We know he will use it, but how far will he go?

Hard to say this early.

Biggs was traded to Pittsburgh in the famous Kessel deal. There is a very strong chance of Sparks staying in Orlando this year. Our defence is pretty deep (relatively speaking) - so Valiev, Finn have a decent chance of playing for Orlando. Findlay, Watling, the Rupert brothers, Verhaeghe, Manderson, Rodewald and maybe even some of the people we just brought in, like Hyman or Soshnikov have a chance of being on Orlando's roster as well.

The Marlies lineup isnt as stacked as the title of this thread would like you to believe but there will certainly be some quality players that will make their way to the Solar Bears from Toronto.

Keep an eye on Carter Verheaghe for us! :handclap: He has some good upside, but will likely need a year in Orlando before moving up to the Marlies.

Im in camp all week with Sparks. Good guy. Id expect him back, unless we trade one of reimer/bernier. However I wouldnt put it past him outplaying Bibeau and you guys having Bibeau down there as a starter.

You may be the first person to ever describe Biggs as "good"

Thanks for all the responses. Sparks played awesome last year for us, and became a fan favorite pretty quickly. Glad to hear he's likely back.

I'm glad to hear Verhaeghe will be down. Got to catch a couple of Niagara games this past season when I was visiting Buffalo, was very impressed with his skillset.

When I said Biggs was "good", I meant for Orlando. He had 6 pts in 8 games.

So to summarize, I should expect, as of now, 4-5 forwards, 1-2 defensemen, and a goaltender?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
So to summarize, I should expect, as of now, 4-5 forwards, 1-2 defensemen, and a goaltender?

Imo, while that sounds reasonable for the amount of guys not on the Marlies at any one time, I would expect more than that amount to spend some time in Orlando.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad