Marlies Discussion: 2015-2016 Marlies STACKED Discussion

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Pretty sure people always cared about the draft. TSN doesn't even hype the draft anyways.

_______

I assume you mean TSN4 to TSN2? TSN4 is Ontario (minus the Ottawa region), and TSN 5 is for Eastern Canada (including Ottawa). TSN 2 is the "backup" channel.

thanks (I watch the hockey online, so I'm not sure what TSN is for what. lol it always feels like it's on TSN something ;) )

I don't think they do, mostly because they don't have rights to show the actual draft, but they were still very much "draft central"

People always cared about the draft, but it was never really televised until TSN started showing the first round. I remember having to stream the NHL network feed and that is not always that great. TSN has done an excellent job at promoting hockey in Canada, unlike Sportsnet that just makes people turn the TV off instead.

exactly, that's what I meant. thanks.

like I know that Sportsnet does the CHL but i just don't like their coverage at all (sigh)

BurnsBlue

Jun 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
What is with all the hate in every thread these days? Its like your all sworn enemies of each other and need to attack whenever someone has a thought. Sometimes the arguments are just cuckoo bananas and not even relevant to the original comment. We are all fans, try and enjoy yourself a little "EH!!?" The article says Marlies Stacked discuss. Not Marlies best junior team of all time guaranteed million to one Calder cup and fu if you don't agree.lol. Give your head a shake :) For the rest of ya's. High five. Okay, rant over.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
the interest might be limited at first, but TSN is great at building up TV properties.

They could at least start by just broadcasting home games to limit costs. They have plenty of hockey people on staff, and could build hype around the Leafs young prospects. Its really the perfect time to launch something like this.
I'd be very interested in this. I watched a lot of Marlies games on hockeystreams last season in the grainy AHL quality broadcast even when the Leafs were playing that night.

buttman*

Agreed.

No one cared about the WJC - until TSN made it a thing. Now it's THE THING.
No one cared about the draft - until TSN made it a thing. now its HUGE.

TSN could very easily (especially because the Leafs aren't going to be super hot) - show home Marlies games on TSN 2 (which is Leafs region in the winter time), and kick it to 5 if a conflict. build up interest.

People cared about those things. TSN was just the first to broadcast them.

That's like saying no one cared about hockey until CBC made it a thing...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
People cared about those things. TSN was just the first to broadcast them.

That's like saying no one cared about hockey until CBC made it a thing...

my mistake. i clarified it several posts later.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With Beck added to the 24 man roster, it would seem Leafs are intent on being patient.

This means likely Nylander, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, Carrick, Kapanen are all destined for the Marlies this season. The question is who will be playing in the ECHL as there appears to be a log jam with the AHL team at the moment.

Nylander Brown Leivo Carrick Kapanen Leipsic Hyman Frattin Johnson Verhaeghe Gauthier Rupert Soshnikov Froese. Not enough mins to develop them all. Someone will be starting in the ECHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Beck added to the 24 man roster, it would seem Leafs are intent on being patient.

This means likely Nylander, Brown, Leivo, Leipsic, Carrick, Kapanen are all destined for the Marlies this season. The question is who will be playing in the ECHL as there appears to be a log jam with the AHL team at the moment.

Nylander Brown Leivo Carrick Kapanen Leipsic Hyman Frattin Johnson Verhaeghe Gauthier Rupert Soshnikov Froese. Not enough mins to develop them all. Someone will be starting in the ECHL.

Don't forget Casey Bailey & Jack Rodewald as well.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't forget Casey Bailey & Jack Rodewald as well.

I have to think Bailey is sticking with the big club. It will be interesting, I recall him signing was contingent on dressing with the Leafs. We will see, but he has a NHL shot and release. Foot speed is the issue with him. He's only signed to a 2 year contract if my memory is correct.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON

Don't the Marlies always have around 5 guys in the box, getting rotated through the lineup?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't the Marlies always have around 5 guys in the box, getting rotated through the lineup?

I don't think this is a good idea. You got to get the kids playing, and in key mins. Not 4th line play or rotating in and out from the pressbox. I think a possible match up that will be interesting of who makes the Marlies will be Verhaeghe or Gauthier?

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if any of Leivo, leipsic Carrick, Hyman, Frattin make the big team.

Johnson is going back to sweden.

our ahl will probably be:

leipsic-nylander-kapenan
hyman-marner-brown
leivo-verhaeghe-froese?
gauthier-rupert? etc.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wouldn't be surprised if any of Leivo, leipsic Carrick, Hyman, Frattin make the big team.

Johnson is going back to sweden.

our ahl will probably be:

leipsic-nylander-kapenan
hyman-marner-brown
leivo-verhaeghe-froese?
gauthier-rupert? etc.

Marner can't play in the AHL.

Anyways, I'd be all for showing the Marlies games on TSN2. Like someone above posted, TSN has a plethora of hockey guys that are currently sitting on their hands with Sportsnet taking over the hockey rights.

Even if the 'big guns' didn't want to broadcast AHL games, maybe some of the younger up and coming broadcasters would jump at the chance.

I would definitely watch more Marlies games if they were on TSN2. Currently the only way to watch them is on LeafsTV (which is horrendous) or the odd game that pops up on RogersTV.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I don't think this is a good idea. You got to get the kids playing, and in key mins. Not 4th line play or rotating in and out from the pressbox. I think a possible match up that will be interesting of who makes the Marlies will be Verhaeghe or Gauthier?

Well, anyhow, I see it as this:

Kapanen - Nylander - Brown
Leipsic - Froese - Bailey
Rodewald - Gauthier - Hyman
Clune - Rupert - Soshnikov

Percy - Brennan
Loov - Granberg
Harrington - Valiev

Bibeau
Gibson

Box:
Vail
Watling
Verhaeghe
Nilsson
Finn

Sent Down to ECHL:
Clapperton
Sparks
Anyone that I'm missing

*Carrick is starting in the NHL, I think at least, Frattin gets dumped for a 2017 7th after not making the team at camp

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Has any AHL team ever iced a roster where the entire team is pretty much capable of scoring 20 goals? Obviously that could never happen, but gone are the days of icing bottom six role players with no potential.

Frattin: capable of 20 goals
Nylander: capable of 20 goals
Brown: capable of 20 goals
Leipsic: capable of 20 goals
Leivo: capable of 20 goals
Froese: capable of 20 goals
Kapanen: capable of 20 goals
Hyman: most likely capable of 20 goals
Bailey: most likely capable of 20 goals
Soshnikov: most likely capable of 20 goals
T.J. Brennan: capable of 20 goals
Carrick: capable of 15+ goals
R. Rupert: most likely capable of 15+ goals
Gauthier: ?
Verhaeghe: ?

Super, super young team. But a very skilled team based on AHL standards. I'll be disappointed if this team doesn't run up the score on a semi-regular basis.

mikebel111*

Well, anyhow, I see it as this:

Kapanen - Nylander - Brown
Leipsic - Froese - Bailey
Rodewald - Gauthier - Hyman
Clune - Rupert - Soshnikov

Percy - Brennan
Loov - Granberg
Harrington - Valiev

Bibeau
Gibson

Box:
Vail
Watling
Verhaeghe
Nilsson
Finn

Sent Down to ECHL:
Clapperton
Sparks
Anyone that I'm missing

*Carrick is starting in the NHL, I think at least, Frattin gets dumped for a 2017 7th after not making the team at camp

I expect one of Hyman or Bailey to make the big team
And Finn and Nilsson to be playing, not being extras

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Doesn't anyone think this is Leivo last chance to make the Leafs? What is the point in keeping him around after training camp? If he doesn't make it trade him or ditch him, we have other kids coming up.

It is hard to believe he was once one of our better prospects.

edit: I thought Leivo was 24, turns out he is only 22. I just don't know what to do with this kid.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Soft as butter. No one will stick their neck out for himself or each other. They will be fast, as in a rabbit being fast when running from a fox. Soon there will be injuries as other teams bash them around. I predict they don't even make the playoffs. But I hope I'm wrong.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
One of Harrington/Percy I could see make the Leafs; Granberg is out for awhile.

Yeah Granberg's going to be hurt which allows Nilsson some playing time as a RHD. Finn also looks rejuvenated so he should play often. In the AHL though, the 7th will play often. So just because someone is in the box, doesn't mean he's restricted to 20-30 games.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Has any AHL team ever iced a roster where the entire team is pretty much capable of scoring 20 goals? Obviously that could never happen, but gone are the days of icing bottom six role players with no potential.

Frattin: capable of 20 goals
Nylander: capable of 20 goals
Brown: capable of 20 goals
Leipsic: capable of 20 goals
Leivo: capable of 20 goals
Froese: capable of 20 goals
Kapanen: capable of 20 goals
Hyman: most likely capable of 20 goals
Bailey: most likely capable of 20 goals
Soshnikov: most likely capable of 20 goals

T.J. Brennan: capable of 20 goals
Carrick: capable of 15+ goals
R. Rupert: most likely capable of 15+ goals
Gauthier: ?
Verhaeghe: ?

Super, super young team. But a very skilled team based on AHL standards. I'll be disappointed if this team doesn't run up the score on a semi-regular basis.

With the bolded, you are just guessing. Without any prior knowledge on how they've faired in the AHL. Rupert won't be as successful as he was last year unless he ends up playing with Brown again, which might happen, but I think their are better options now.

The top 6/7 forward group looks promising, but aside from that, the rest of the forward groups are basically question marks. I seriously doubt they'll be able to run up the score in many games, let alone on a semi-regular basis. I see a middle of the pack team ending just slightly better than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad