2015-2016 Iowa Wild & Affiliates Season Thread

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Thinking outside the box... What if the problem in Iowa isn't influx of young talent, but retaining/acquiring AHL veterans and leadership?

We have Fedotenko, and Fortunus, but we're missing a solid veteran core that can bring leadership and consistency. The majority of the team are young guys trying to figure out how to adjust to pro hockey.

Sure, we're not icing the most talented squad in the league, but we should be able to compete night-to-night... But it's not happening.

That might be it, but I also think it's just we don't have talented players in the AHL.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
The main reason why I think Iowa sucks right now:

The Wild’s prospect pool currently suffers from an imbalance between NCAA, European and CHL players. The Wild has decided to draw heavily from players headed to U.S. college programs in recent years, meaning in most cases a longer timetable between draft day and the player’s pro debut. That helps the Wild stay under the 50-contract limit, but hurts in terms of minor league competition. Arguably, college produces fewer elite talents as well, despite its other merits.

From Peter's latest article.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet. But Russo has said on his podcast that with draft picks that go to college is that you get to keep their rights longer.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet. But Russo has said on his podcast that with draft picks that go to college is that you get to keep their rights longer.

Right, once a college player is signed to a contract, he or she is no longer eligible to play NCAA hockey and a player generally has four or five post-draft seasons in which the team retains rights.

In addition, most of the Wild's non-pro prospects do not have contracts. Only Jenys and Warner from the CHL and JEE for Europe.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Right, once a college player is signed to a contract, he or she is no longer eligible to play NCAA hockey and a player generally has four or five post-draft seasons in which the team retains rights.

In addition, most of the Wild's non-pro prospects do not have contracts. Only Jenys and Warner from the CHL and JEE for Europe.

I think the rule is the NHL team holds your rights until your graduating class year.

After he was drafted, I think Reilly played 1 yr of jrs , 3 of NCAA and had to notify NHL 30 days from last day of school ( end of his junior, 3rd year, of college ) and became a UFA. A total of 4 years.

So, if you get drafted in 1st year eligible - drafting team holds rights for 4 yrs, 2nd yr eligible - 3yrs, and 3rd yr eligible - 2 yrs.

I think 1st yr eligible Euro's and CHL players rights are held for 3 years only.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Forward Matt Carey has been assigned to the Mallards by the American Hockey League’s Iowa Wild.
Carey, 23, has scored two goals and picked up two assists in 21 games with Iowa this season.

Carey broke into the professional ranks by playing two National Hockey League games for the Chicago Blackhawks late in the 2013-14 season. The 6’ 0â€, 195-pound Hamilton, Ontario, native scored ten goals and added 11 assists for 21 points in 67 games with the AHL’s Rockford IceHogs last year.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Forward Raphael Bussieres has been reassigned to the Mallards by the American Hockey League’s Iowa Wild.
Bussieres, 22, picked up two assists in five games with Iowa after being recalled from the Mallards on November 24. The 6’ 1”, 195-pound Longueuil, Quebec native has scored eight goals and added 6 assists for 14 points while posting a plus/minus rating of +5 in 16 games with the Mallards this season.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Hey where is the prospect thread for Grayson Downing? 6+6 in 13 games for terrible team is nice. .

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The main reason why I think Iowa sucks right now:

From Peter's latest article.

That maybe, but NCAA players can be very risky, especially if you pick them out of the USHL or whatever before they hit the NCAA. It's like recruiting in college football. You pick guys that are juniors and seniors and try to project where they might end up, but your projections end up totally off. That's the way I see these high school kids. You pick a guy like Avery Peterson, who you think it is going to be a stud after a few good years in the USHL. He ends up in the NCHC and goes 1 point in 14 games. Good thing he was only a 6th round pick, but if you keep missing out on these depth players? You start getting a very weak AHL team.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
That maybe, but NCAA players can be very risky, especially if you pick them out of the USHL or whatever before they hit the NCAA. It's like recruiting in college football. You pick guys that are juniors and seniors and try to project where they might end up, but your projections end up totally off. That's the way I see these high school kids. You pick a guy like Avery Peterson, who you think it is going to be a stud after a few good years in the USHL. He ends up in the NCHC and goes 1 point in 14 games. Good thing he was only a 6th round pick, but if you keep missing out on these depth players? You start getting a very weak AHL team.

True, and Peter points out that the NCAA isn't necessarily producing a higher number of talents compared to other top leagues... Though you could argue that with Toews, Parise, Keith, Heatley, Pavelski, Suter, Kessler, Kessel, St. Louis, Thomas, Miller, Boyle, Vanek, Backes, Sharp, JVR, Oshie...

It's definitely a strategy Fletcher's shooting for, and it's easy to see why he chose that path after signing Parise, Suter, and Vanek. We've yet to see if it will eventually reward us with a cup, though.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I noticed Raphael Bussieres was back playing with Iowa for a few games and actually recorded a few points with an even rating. Anybody know if he's back with Iowa or if it was just a depth call-up for a few games?

I know he's a prospect many have already long given up on but he's a former 2nd round pick that was always considered a project. Lots of physical tools and skill but needed to mature his game to find consistent offense at the pro level. He's scored at nearly a ppg pace in the ECHL...is there any hope for a late bloomer?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I noticed Raphael Bussieres was back playing with Iowa for a few games and actually recorded a few points with an even rating. Anybody know if he's back with Iowa or if it was just a depth call-up for a few games?

I know he's a prospect many have already long given up on but he's a former 2nd round pick that was always considered a project. Lots of physical tools and skill but needed to mature his game to find consistent offense at the pro level. He's scored at nearly a ppg pace in the ECHL...is there any hope for a late bloomer?

He's back down in Quad City. He'll be an RFA but you'd have to think his performance in the ECHL suggests he could get another chance, similar to what they did for Bulmer.

mdrn

Mar 17, 2015
He's back down in Quad City. He'll be an RFA but you'd have to think his performance in the ECHL suggests he could get another chance, similar to what they did for Bulmer.

I think maybe since Hagel came back they moved him back down?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Isn't this the free agent college player that everyone was losing their minds over a couple years ago? Every team was trying to woo this kid, and he ends up a ECHL player ... :sarcasm:

Meanwhile Greyson Downing, another College free agent is at just below a point/game for Iowa. 2nd on the team in goals and points despite playing 13 games less than the rest of the team.

Talent evaluation is a real crapshoot.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Downing could be the next Fontaine. We'll need another guy to step-up and make the jump because I'm not sure we'll be able to re-sign Fontaine.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
If it makes you feel somewhat better about the Iowa wild. There is this about Winnipeg farm team they are supposed to have one of best prospect pools.
Year-to-Date

As you might imagine, the team’s numbers on the season aren’t pretty – they have the second worst winning percentage in the AHL, behind only the Iowa Wild (Minnesota’s AHL team), and they’re last in the AHL in goals for, a whole 10 goals back of the next lowest scoring team. In terms of individual contributions, J.C Lipon continues to lead the Moose in most offensive categories, including goals (6), points (13), short-handed goals (2), power-play goals (2 – tied), and penalty minutes (32). Meanwhile, Chase de Leo is having a pretty strong start to his AHL career, with 11 points in 21 games, and a team high 51 shots. It’s a great sign to see him getting so many shots on net, as it shows that he’s able to find space in the offensive zone, either with his legs, or with good positioning. Nic Petan has 4 points in 8 games since being re-assigned from the Jets, while Josh Morrissey has had a tough start to the year, with no goals and 2 assists through 21 games.

http://illegalcurve.com/2015/12/07/the-monday-manitoba-moose-report-3/

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Defenseman Guillaume Gelinas has been recalled by the American Hockey League’s Iowa Wild from the Mallards.
Gelinas, who has scored five goals and notched 12 assists in 25 games with the Mallards this season, is tied for tenth among ECHL defensemen with 17 points.

Gelinas, 22, joins Iowa for the second time in the same week. After being recalled Sunday he played his first AHL game this season Monday night against the San Antonio Rampage. He was then reassigned to the Mallards Tuesday.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Forward Brady Brassart has been assigned to the Mallards by the American Hockey League’s Iowa Wild and the Mallards have released forward Tyler Gjurich.
Brassart, 22, has scored three goals and added two assists in 30 games with the Wild this season. The 6’ 2”, 210-pound Vernon, British Columbia native scored eight times and picked up 13 assists for 21 points in 72 games with Iowa as a rookie last year.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
It would be fun to drive down to Des Moines and catch a game, but I just wish they had a better team on the ice. It would still be fun, just more so if they had a decent team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad