Prospect Info: 2015-2016 In The System: Portland Pirates, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Good. This is not the type of player you want in an organization that is trying to build a bond through chemistry. Anyone that continually does this type of thing and shows no ability to learn from it has mental health issues. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of his teammates and him got into it. Sayonara Michael, maybe you can hook up with Gudas in the Flyers organization.

Wait you want to give up on our prospect cause of some undisiplined penalties.. come on...

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Wait you want to give up on our prospect cause of some undisiplined penalties.. come on...
This guy was suspended 6 or 7 times in his career at Michigan for head shots. He comes here and the first game he gets in and the first period he does it again. He was released from his ATO because why? There are a few other guys on ATO's that don't even have an ELC that weren't released. This guy has some issues and the GM obviously is not happy with his attitude. I guess everyone deserves another chance, but past history is usually a good indication of what you see is what you get ala Johnny Manziel.

Now, will they give him another chance? Sure, he'll be invited to the various camps but I can assure you that if he hasn't learned his lesson he will be shipped to the ECHL where he can play with all the other knuckleheads that still believe this is the way hockey should be played.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Maybe you guys know if the org has a tendency to teach players to play the game in a way that suppresses creativity. The creativity is at a low level but it remains to be seen if it's because of the players or coaches. GG's approach to the game is definitely defense first so maybe some offensive players are suffering because of this.
It's funny, many of the SC winners over the years played a tight defensive game but I think they are trying to transition to a more wide open game. I know many of the coaches were unhappy in past playoff years as the clutching and grabbing was allowed again after the playoffs began, and I think the league tried to address that issue last year in the playoffs. Both the Blackhawks and Lightning have a component of small highly skilled speed guys that have given the playoffs a more exciting platform from the fans perspective.

GG like both the Blackhawks and Lightning is comfortable with an up tempo game that lets the D join the rush. On the other hand he expects rotation so that it eliminates the odd man rush. This puts a premium on team defense and responsibility that requires patience and maturity in the post season. Torts is old school like Sutter but I think his meaning is that even in this up tempo paradigm the winners must have a solid component of defense and goaltending.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Good. This is not the type of player you want in an organization that is trying to build a bond through chemistry. Anyone that continually does this type of thing and shows no ability to learn from it has mental health issues. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if one of his teammates and him got into it. Sayonara Michael, maybe you can hook up with Gudas in the Flyers organization.

I believe that Downing was released so he could go back to finish school.... He will have his work cut out for him next season. I wouldn't be shocked if he started the year in Manchester.

Glad to see Dryden Hunt got an ATO. Since the series is best of 5, I would assume he will get some playing time before it's over. He needs a setup guy and I hope they put him with Grimaldi and Harper. They are the best set up guys on the team and I trust Hunt will see PP time also. Excited to see how he does.

It's going to be tough. If the Pirates lineup is healthy I don't see him cracking into the lineup in Game 1 or 2. We'll have a better sense on Thursday when the Pirates practice.

Estimated Lines for Game 1:
Grimaldi-Rau-Harper
McFarland-Olson-Balisy
Brickley-Megan-Flick
Schremp-Knight-Simpson

D-Pairs:
Olsen-Regner
Weegar-Gaunce
Racine-MacKenzie

Scratches:
Hodges: (Injured)
Crouse
Bukarts
Lynch
Turgeon
Lammikko
Hunt

Forward Scratches:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I believe that Downing was released so he could go back to finish school.... He will have his work cut out for him next season. I wouldn't be shocked if he started the year in Manchester.

Hardly seems worth it to sign an ATO. He should have just done as McCoshen and stayed at school.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It's going to be tough. If the Pirates lineup is healthy I don't see him cracking into the lineup in Game 1 or 2. We'll have a better sense on Thursday when the Pirates practice.

Estimated Lines for Game 1:
Grimaldi-Rau-Harper
McFarland-Olson-Balisy
Brickley-Megan-Flick
Schremp-Knight-Simpson

D-Pairs:
Olsen-Regner
Weegar-Gaunce
Racine-MacKenzie

Scratches:
Hodges: (Injured)
Crouse
Bukarts
Lynch
Turgeon
Lammikko
Hunt

Forward Scratches:
How they cannot play guys like Hunt and Crouse in lieu Flick and Simpson is beyond me. Like Batting said, the PP has been terrible this year. Got to believe those guys get in for at least the 2nd and 3rd games, especially if they lose the first. The philosophy that the guys who were here all year have earned the right to play is valid, but the playoffs is all about winning. It will be interesting to see if some of the other 1st rounders like Dal Colle get in or if they stick them up in the seats.

I see you have Rau centering Grimaldi. Wasn't that just the opposite before Rocco was called up? Has Rau been that dominant in the circle? I see he had 6 shots the other night, but I believe he has done practically zero on the score sheet since being sent back to Portland. He has either lost his edge or has hit the wall and is burned out as the college season is so much shorter than the pros.

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Hardly seems worth it to sign an ATO. He should have just done as McCoshen and stayed at school.
It gives some experience on what it’s like to be a pro. Practice schedule, travel, preparation… it all adds up early so he knows what to expect next season. It’s actually quite common for ATO’s. If they’re not going to get significant playing time, give them a taste of pro life and then let them go back to school.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
How they cannot play guys like Hunt and Crouse in lieu Flick and Simpson is beyond me. Like Batting said, the PP has been terrible this year. Got to believe those guys get in for at least the 2nd and 3rd games, especially if they lose the first. The philosophy that the guys who were here all year have earned the right to play is valid, but the playoffs is all about winning. It will be interesting to see if some of the other 1st rounders like Dal Colle get in or if they stick them up in the seats.

I see you have Rau centering Grimaldi. Wasn't that just the opposite before Rocco was called up? Has Rau been that dominant in the circle? I see he had 6 shots the other night, but I believe he has done practically zero on the score sheet since being sent back to Portland. He has either lost his edge or has hit the wall and is burned out as the college season is so much shorter than the pros.
Because they’re not going to upset the locker room chemistry and culture…. Simpson has earned his time. He deserves to play in the playoffs. Flick provides an element the team doesn’t have in that team toughness and grit. That was the team that got them 41 wins in a 76-game season and it’s going to be the team that starts them in the playoffs. Crouse and Hunt will see time I just don’t think it will be for Game 1 or 2…. Look at Rau last season. He was able to play seven regular season games, but when the playoffs came around he only played once in Game 3. Even Matheson didn’t play in the playoffs. He went back to school, but it didn’t hurt his development.

It’s normal for ATO’s to just practice and gain experience on being a pro.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Because they’re not going to upset the locker room chemistry and culture…. Simpson has earned his time. He deserves to play in the playoffs. Flick provides an element the team doesn’t have in that team toughness and grit. That was the team that got them 41 wins in a 76-game season and it’s going to be the team that starts them in the playoffs. Crouse and Hunt will see time I just don’t think it will be for Game 1 or 2…. Look at Rau last season. He was able to play seven regular season games, but when the playoffs came around he only played once in Game 3. Even Matheson didn’t play in the playoffs. He went back to school, but it didn’t hurt his development.

It’s normal for ATO’s to just practice and gain experience on being a pro.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Crouse and Lammikko skated on a line today at practice w/ Lynch. Bukarts, Turgeon and Hunt skated on another line...
Those don't sound like lines that are going to play Friday. I think you are right that we won't see any of the new guys the first game for sure. If they lose and some of the guys play badly, then we may see a change. If the guys who were here all year win the first two games, then they will continue to play until there are 2 losses.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Those don't sound like lines that are going to play Friday. I think you are right that we won't see any of the new guys the first game for sure. If they lose and some of the guys play badly, then we may see a change. If the guys who were here all year win the first two games, then they will continue to play until there are 2 losses.
We'll know more tomorrow. I suspect they'll make a final run through of the game plan. Friday will be an optional skate w/ the game Friday nigh.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Manchester lost tonight and was eliminated in their first round series against Adirondack.... Josh Brown and Colin Stevens are expected to join Portland.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So Sam Montembeault will be 20 on 10/30/16. Isn't he eligible to play in the AHL or ECHL as long as his 20th birthday is before 1/1/17? Seems like a no brainer rather than going back to QMJHL. As good as McKenna has been this year, I would think they need to give Brittain and Stevens the reigns next year. Montembeault in my estimation will probably end up back in the QMJHL for his last year of eligibility even though he may be better served in the ECHL. The problem with that scenario is that you don't know how much playing time he will get with Manchester next year at such a young age, and that will probably be the deciding factor in him going back to the Q.

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
So Sam Montembeault will be 20 on 10/30/16. Isn't he eligible to play in the AHL or ECHL as long as his 20th birthday is before 1/1/17? Seems like a no brainer rather than going back to QMJHL. As good as McKenna has been this year, I would think they need to give Brittain and Stevens the reigns next year. Montembeault in my estimation will probably end up back in the QMJHL for his last year of eligibility even though he may be better served in the ECHL. The problem with that scenario is that you don't know how much playing time he will get with Manchester next year at such a young age, and that will probably be the deciding factor in him going back to the Q.

Yes he's eligible but I've read that he'll probably return for his final year.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Yes he's eligible but I've read that he'll probably return for his final year.
Interesting that Thatcher Demko who is 20 now and a year older than Sam has already been penciled in to go to Utica in the AHL next year. Talking heads have him on fast track to be with the Canucks along with Markstrom after next season. Of course being drafted 36th (2nd Round 2014) overall compared to Montembeault at 77 (3rd Round 2015) speaks volumes. Next year I think Montembeault needs a lot of games which he won't get in the pros.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Portland Pirates Lines for Game 1 of Atlantic Division Semifinal:
Rau-Grimaldi-Harper
McFarland-Olson-Flick
Brickley-Megan-Balisy
Schremp-Knight-Simpson

Defense:
Olsen-Regner
Gaunce-MacKenzie
Acolatse-Racine

Goal:
McKenna
Brittain

Pirates' Scratches:
Weegar
Hodges
Crouse
Bukarts
Hunt
Lynch
Turgeon
Lammikko

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates grab a 1-0 series lead over Hershey
By Chris Roy | Updated: April 23, 2016

PORTLAND – Rob Schremp and Shane Harper each scored twice Friday evening to lift the Portland Pirates over the Hershey Bears with a 6-4 victory before 3,959 at the Cross Insurance Arena in the opening game of the Atlantic Division semifinal.

The Pirates lead the American Hockey League best-of-five series 1-0 with Game 2 set for tomorrow evening at 7:00 pm at the CIA. The series will shift to the Giant Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania for Game 3 Thursday and Games 4 and 5 if necessary.

READ MORE>>>>

Despite the score the Pirates dominated the Bears for the majority of the game. Only a few times did Hershey apply any real pressure to Portland. It was really good to see Schremp and Harper breakthrough offensively. If they can get going with Grimaldi and Rau that could make Portland very dangerous team down the stretch.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I was thinking about asking this, but I notice Robbie Schremp has been playing on the 4th line, has he fallen off that badly, or were my expectations for him before the season not realistic, this is a former PPG guy in AHL no?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I was thinking about asking this, but I notice Robbie Schremp has been playing on the 4th line, has he fallen off that badly, or were my expectations for him before the season not realistic, this is a former PPG guy in AHL no?
Schremp began the year on the top line and was fantastic for the most part, but Feb and March he struggled. He went without a goal in 23 straight games and just couldn't get going. Finally, Allen was left no choice but to move him down and take him off the PP. He was paired with the Knight, who also struggled and Simpson who has just go about his business and steadily racked up points and the combination has worked so far.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Portland drops Game 2 by a score of 3-1.

-ghoste
Yup. Don't play again till Thursday. Doubt we will see any changes, but you never know. PP goes 1-10 in 2 games at home and PK gives up 1 in 7. Hard to pull the regular season guys for game 3 as they played pretty well in the split at home. Remaining 3 games in Hershey. If they lose next game, we may see Crouse and Hunt for game 4. Let's hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad