Prospect Info: 2015-2016 In The System: Portland Pirates, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
This isn't meant with any disrespect of the Rampage fan base, but I figured I'd start a new thread now because there is going to be news about the Pirates upcoming season starting.

For those who don't know who I am... My name is Chris Roy and I'm one of two beat writers that cover the Pirates on a full time basis. I write for the Maine Hockey Journal/Bangor Daily News. I'll be on here as much as possible posting articles, answering questions and interacting with Panthers' fans, keeping them up to date on prospects.

If you can't reach me here you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

mod edit: post #76 for details on the merge.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
AHL announces new alignment for 2015-’16
By Chris Roy | Updated: May 12, 2015

The Portland Pirates will remain in the Atlantic Division next season, but will be joined by several new teams as the American Hockey League announced Tuesday its divisional alignment for the 2015-2016 season.

READ MORE>>>>

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Welcome! It is definitely a change. The SA beat crew did a good job here ... I hope it continues with the new affiliate. One thing that would be nice if a few more fans posted here from the team.

Thunderheart

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
This isn't meant with any disrespect of the Rampage fan base, but I figured I'd start a new thread now because there is going to be news about the Pirates upcoming season starting.

For those who don't know who I am... My name is Chris Roy and I'm one of two beat writers that cover the Pirates on a full time basis. I write for the Maine Hockey Journal/Bangor Daily News. I'll be on here as much as possible posting articles, answering questions and interacting with Panthers' fans, keeping them up to date on prospects.

If you can't reach me here you can follow me on Facebook and Twitter.

Welcome to Panthers Forum! Will look forward on your reports on our prospects next year in Portland...
Thunderheart

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Could I get your thoughts on Martinook since u watched him all year?
Martinook was amazing this season. He really blossomed as a power forward with NHL potential. During his first two seasons he was more of a grinder that played on the third line and wasn't really noticed, but this season he found himself playing on the top line with Alex Bolduc and Henrik Samuelsson. He's a physical player, but he has ability to be offensive when needed and he took advantage of the ice time. He really became a clutch player for Portland as the season went along.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Pirates announce guaranteed dates
By Chris Roy | Updated: May 19, 2015

The Portland Pirates have announced six guaranteed home game dates for the upcoming 2015-2016 season.

Opening night for the Pirates will take place on Saturday, October 17 at the Cross Insurance Arena in downtown Portland.

READ MORE>>>>>

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Panthers re-sign Olson
By Chris Roy | Updated: May 28, 2015

The Florida Panthers announced Thursday they have re-signed forward Brett Olson to a one-year, two-way contract.

READ MORE>>>>

Panthers added its first piece to the Pirates for the 14-15 season by re-signing Brett Olson to a one-year, two-way deal.... Olson is a good depth signing for the Panthers, imo, - I'm still learning the organization - and gives the Pirates some secondary scoring and grit.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Panthers sign Balisy
By Chris Roy | Updated: June 2, 2015

The Florida Panthers continued to build the roster for their new AHL affiliate, the Portland Pirates, adding a pretty good piece on Monday.

The Panthers signed forward Chase Balisy to an entry-level contract, the club announced on Monday.

READ MORE>>>>

This is a really good signing.... Balisy is someone I would consider under the radar. He was a pretty good player in college with WMU and his first season in St. John's better than anyone expected for a player on an AHL contract.... I'd almost call him a steal because the Panthers will have him for at least the next three seasons. He'll begin the year in Portland, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's recalled at some point this season. He small, but he gritty as hell on the puck and can find those open spots around the net. He has decent speed and sees the ice really well.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Panthers sign Balisy
By Chris Roy | Updated: June 2, 2015

READ MORE>>>>

This is a really good signing.... Balisy is someone I would consider under the radar. He was a pretty good player in college with WMU and his first season in St. John's better than anyone expected for a player on an AHL contract.... I'd almost call him a steal because the Panthers will have him for at least the next three seasons. He'll begin the year in Portland, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's recalled at some point this season. He small, but he gritty as hell on the puck and can find those open spots around the net. He has decent speed and sees the ice really well.

I would be shocked if he played up this year... I would say his speed isn't decent at all and that's his biggest problem.. Does see the ice well and is very smart but he just can't skate well enough at the moment for nhl... Unless he somehow grabs another step and a half this offseason

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
nhlfreeagents.com
@NHLFREEAGENTS
58m
Florida Panthers depth (D) Blake Parlett signed by Medvescak Zagreb of the KHL to a one-year contract #KHL #AHL #NHL

Thewselius

Jul 24, 2003
Who's tending? Dan Ellis most likely is leaving. It's gotta be Houser and Brittain battling for #1. We really need to develop a goalie ... only one I can think of that spent time in our system and did well was Weekes.

Brown looks pretty feisty out there, hope he doesn't have too much trouble staying out of the penalty box though. Hope Rau does well, would be funny to see a line of Rau (5'8") -Bjugstad (6'6") -Grimaldi (5'5") someday lol.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Who's tending? Dan Ellis most likely is leaving. It's gotta be Houser and Brittain battling for #1. We really need to develop a goalie ... only one I can think of that spent time in our system and did well was Weekes.

Brown looks pretty feisty out there, hope he doesn't have too much trouble staying out of the penalty box though. Hope Rau does well, would be funny to see a line of Rau (5'8") -Bjugstad (6'6") -Grimaldi (5'5") someday lol.

Stevens is in the mix as well.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I'm guessing that Brittain and Stevens will be in Cincinnati and Houser will share duties with an AHL veteran who can be a No.3 in the system should they need to be recalled..... I wouldn't be shocked to see a goalie like Mike McKenna signed. Portland is looking at him and I'm sure the Panther would be ok with that signing.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'm guessing that Brittain and Stevens will be in Cincinnati and Houser will share duties with an AHL veteran who can be a No.3 in the system should they need to be recalled..... I wouldn't be shocked to see a goalie like Mike McKenna signed. Portland is looking at him and I'm sure the Panther would be ok with that signing.
Houser supposedly wasn't tended an offer and will move on. I guess they didn't like the fact that he needs to play a lot to be effective. They definitely have some other goalie in mind at this point, and I think one of Brittain or Stevens will be the 2nd G in Portland. The other will go to Cinci.

http://catsontheprowl.com/2015/06/18/four-of-panthers-rfas-extended-qualifying-offers/

4 rfas have been extended qualifying offers, acc. to Chris Roy / wildcat48
They finally gave up on McFarland. It will be interesting to see what Knight does, although he doesn't have many choices since he doesn't have the leverage of an NHL contract. Petro would probably want a one-way, but if Tallon plans on trading him, that ain't gonna work unless it's a small contract

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad