Prospect Info: 2015-2016 In The System: Portland Pirates, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Bears down Pirates to even playoff series, 1-1
By Chris Roy | Updated: April 23, 2016

PORTLAND – After Friday’s game where the Portland Pirates and Hershey Bears combined for ten goals, Game 2 of the best-of-five series on Saturday was a slightly different.

The Bears scored twice in the third period for a 3-1 win over the Pirates before 5,057 at the Cross Insurance Arena in Portland, knotting the Atlantic Division semifinal at one game apiece.

“Tonight was closer to what you’d expect from playoff hockey,” said Pirates’ coach Scott Allen. “(Hershey) came out like how we expected them to come out in the first few minutes of the game. They had a strong push, and then we came back with a real strong push. That second period, they scored, but I thought we took control, and we scored to tie the game.”

READ MORE>>>>>

This was a tough loss. Portland played well against the Bears. Hershey came out strong, but Portland weathered the first period storm. They outshot Hershey in the second period 14-4, but just couldn't beat Justin Peters although they had changes.

It was a couple unfortunate goals in the third period.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Michael Dal Colle did lace them up for the 1st game last night for Bridgeport. They lost to the Marlies, but that was not unexpected as many of those guys played down the stretch quite well for the Maple Leafs.

This shows you the difference in philosophies between the Panther organization and the Isles (who parent the Bridgeport team). Crouse sits in the bleachers while Dal Colle plays. I expect to see Crouse at some point for Portland in the next week, especially if Hershey wins the 3rd game of the series on Thursday. In the meantime, Dal Colle and his mates will have a difficult time not being swept the first 3 against the favorite to win the Calder Cup.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Michael Dal Colle did lace them up for the 1st game last night for Bridgeport. They lost to the Marlies, but that was not unexpected as many of those guys played down the stretch quite well for the Maple Leafs.

This shows you the difference in philosophies between the Panther organization and the Isles (who parent the Bridgeport team). Crouse sits in the bleachers while Dal Colle plays. I expect to see Crouse at some point for Portland in the next week, especially if Hershey wins the 3rd game of the series on Thursday. In the meantime, Dal Colle and his mates will have a difficult time not being swept the first 3 against the favorite to win the Calder Cup.

tumblr_lpeps6ji5C1r13x2bo1_500.jpg

There is no difference in philosophies, MDC is at least a year older than Lawson and just finished his overage season. Crouse and the kids were brought up to experience the preparation and AHL playoffs, not to be steamrolled against a team they cannot beat, suiting up with players who are not ready for professional hockey.

That is why MDC is considered a bust for his draft position, two full years after being drafted he still was sent back to the OHL, he has taken a couple steps back since his 40 goal draft year. I am not sure how anyone could argue that throwing him into the fire before he is ready or earned it, is going to make a positive impact on his career trajectory.

Not sure why anyone would be questioning the approach.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
tumblr_lpeps6ji5C1r13x2bo1_500.jpg

There is no difference in philosophies, MDC is at least a year older than Lawson and just finished his overage season. Crouse and the kids were brought up to experience the preparation and AHL playoffs, not to be steamrolled against a team they cannot beat, suiting up with players who are not ready for professional hockey.

That is why MDC is considered a bust for his draft position, two full years after being drafted he still was sent back to the OHL, he has taken a couple steps back since his 40 goal draft year. I am not sure how anyone could argue that throwing him into the fire before he is ready or earned it, is going to make a positive impact on his career trajectory.

Not sure why anyone would be questioning the approach.
Thanks. I knew someone would have a valid answer.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Who gets to go play for Portland now??

Mckegg, Shaw, Matheson, Wilson, Howden, Petrovic?
Bolded. Howden/Petro haven't been there at all this season and I don't think Wilson was re-assigned during the AHL deadline to make him eligible for the playoffs, I could be wrong though.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Bolded. Howden/Petro haven't been there at all this season and I don't think Wilson was re-assigned during the AHL deadline to make him eligible for the playoffs, I could be wrong though.

No I think Wilson had to clear waivers. That is why he was kept up with the big club and he played good physical game

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Matheson, Shaw and McKegg are the only players coming to Portland.

Matheson will slot in for Weegar.
Shaw and McKegg will be in for Flick and Balisy.

PROJECTED LINES:
Grimaldi-Rau-Harper
Shaw-Megan-Brickley
McFarland-McKegg-Olson
Schremp-Knight-Simpson

Olsen-Regner
Gaunce-Matheson
Racine-Acolatse

McKenna
Brittain

prohockey

Jul 2, 2012

PROJECTED LINES:
Grimaldi-Rau-Harper
Shaw-Megan-Brickley
McFarland-McKegg-Olson
Schremp-Knight-Simpson

Olsen-Regner
Gaunce-Matheson
Racine-Acolatse

McKenna
Brittain

This will be an great boost going to Hershey. Adding a solid piece on the back end with Matheson, good intensity guy down the middle and size on the right side. Shaw had a good return for his 4 games back in Portland and put numbers up. Matheson was very good in Florida. It also is a mental help for the team and a hopefully plays on Hershey.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

PROJECTED LINES:
Grimaldi-Rau-Harper
Shaw-Megan-Brickley
McFarland-McKegg-Olson
Schremp-Knight-Simpson

Olsen-Regner
Gaunce-Matheson
Racine-Acolatse

McKenna
Brittain

Funny how Matheson goes from NHL 1rst unit pairing to AHL to 2nd pairing :laugh:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Lol Portland is 0/9 on the power play tonight...tied 1-1 headed to triple OT
I'll watch it on replay for half the price. The PP doesn't surprise me as it's been lame most of the year. Justin Peters is a veteran like McKenna, so I would bet they are putting on quite a show. I would hope we will see Hunt and Crouse at least one game in this short series. Not playing again till Saturday, so there will be some dead legs after this game.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well that's a nice surprise. Downside is we probably won't see the youngsters next game. Congrats to Mike McKenna for such a solid game.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
It's so strange that way where I guy plays good in the NHL then goes down and struggles. You'd think they'd kinda go down and beast.

-ghoste
I see he had lots of shots on goal but that was likely due to him taking quite a few chances in the O zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad