2015-2016 Expectations for Peter Holland

NotSince67*

I did think about what I said. I did not say that Holland is a better player than Bozak.

Almost everything you've said here are management and coaching decisions.

If you wish to do such comparisons, it should be noted that Bozak did not get a sniff of the NHL until he was 23 years old. His first full season as an NHLer was at 24 -- precisely Holland's age entering this season, his second full NHL season.

At 24 (his first full NHL season), Bozak put up 32 points in 82 games while getting over 19 minutes per game and led his team with a minus 29. That represents 0.39 ppg playing with Phil Kessel every night.

At 23 (his first full NHL season), Holland put up 25 points in 62 games with 14:31 TOI/G. That represents 0.40 ppg playing with the likes of David Clarkson every night.

Do you really think Bozak is the better player?

Because Nonis gave him a big contract? Really?

Yes, I do think Bozak is the better player. You convenietly left out the reasons why Bozak's career started later than Holland (NCAA undrafted FA vs drafted out of the CHL). And that in his first season his other linemate was Joey Crabb.

But let's get real. Bozak pulled a similar PPG as Holland getting matched versus top competition. Holland gets a pretty easy match when it comes to CoQ and the other teams defensive pairings. Holland is getting the kind of matchups Kadri did 2 years ago when Kadri was able to post close to a PPG. What makes you think that Holland would be anything outside grossly ineffective when placed in the same situation as Bozak?

And let's be real, as UFAs today Bozak would easily command 3.5M and Holland? maybe 1.5.

People who follow the leafs hype Holland to no end but he's pretty much only in the NHL because he's in the Leafs organization and Bozak could play for any team.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I'm just glad that we have lots of players who can play center this year.

The days of having JVR play center or Trevor Smith playing more than half a season are over.

Rufio65*

Yes, I do think Bozak is the better player. You convenietly left out the reasons why Bozak's career started later than Holland (NCAA undrafted FA vs drafted out of the CHL). And that in his first season his other linemate was Joey Crabb.

But let's get real. Bozak pulled a similar PPG as Holland getting matched versus top competition. Holland gets a pretty easy match when it comes to CoQ and the other teams defensive pairings. Holland is getting the kind of matchups Kadri did 2 years ago when Kadri was able to post close to a PPG. What makes you think that Holland would be anything outside grossly ineffective when placed in the same situation as Bozak?

And let's be real, as UFAs today Bozak would easily command 3.5M and Holland? maybe 1.5.

People who follow the leafs hype Holland to no end but he's pretty much only in the NHL because he's in the Leafs organization and Bozak could play for any team.

Have to agree with everything here. Holland is an fringe NHL player and he wouldn't make 90% of NHL rosters. Tyler Bozak is a top 9 forward on the majority of NHL teams and is one of the most productive forwards on the PP in the NHL. Panik, Beck and Holland are all scrubs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Increased even strength and power play ice time will lead to much more scoring opportunities than having easier QOC.

I suspect Bozak is a slightly better player than Holland - but Holland's contract is far more attractive.

NotSince67*

Increased even strength and power play ice time will lead to much more scoring opportunities than having easier QOC.

I suspect Bozak is a slightly better player than Holland - but Holland's contract is far more attractive.

That's like saying Panik's contract is better than Lupul's. Of course it is. But Holland could never fill Bozak's role.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's like saying Panik's contract is better than Lupul's. Of course it is. But Holland could never fill Bozak's role.

Not quite. We don't know how Holland will fair yet if given increased ice time. He may prove to be as productive as Bizak. Of course he may not - we just don't know.

I suspect Bozaks production will take quite the nose dive now that he no longer has Kessel. Both he and Holland may even out and 35ish points.

NotSince67*

Not quite. We don't know how Holland will fair yet if given increased ice time. He may prove to be as productive as Bizak. Of course he may not - we just don't know.

I suspect Bozaks production will take quite the nose dive now that he no longer has Kessel. Both he and Holland may even out and 35ish points.

Why would you say we don't know what Holland would do with more ice but that doesn't apply to Panik?

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Bozak is money in the shootout.
Very good at face-offs.
That is worth an extra half a million, no?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bozak is money in the shootout.
Very good at face-offs.
That is worth an extra half a million, no?

Leafs still have no one better on the dot than Bozak at 53.2%

Spaling was 48.3% last year in FO's.
Kadri 46.2%
Holland 45.5%
Matthias 44.9%

Babcock is used to having 50%+ FO Centerman as in Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, Glendening, and Andersson.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Lupul Kadri Winnik
JVR Holland Parenteau
Matthias Spaling Panik
Komarov Carrick Arcobello

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bozak will not be a Leaf this year....he will be traded.

I do not know how Hollands season will be but I am happy that he will be a Leaf this year playing for a coach that will reward effort.

If I had to choose right now I would take Holland over Bozak...Bozak is over paid and was part of the group of players that mailed it in last season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
At this moment, Bozak is a better player mainly due to experiences. Honestly, Bozak pretty much became what he was projected by many, a solid C and nothing more.
While I think Holland could have a bigger impact than Bozak in the next few yrs, might not have as many points due to Holland being more on the defensive side of the game but his impact could be more. Imagine a line with Holland, Goat and Lepisic. I really don't want to play against this line.

Donald McRonald

Interested observer
Sep 13, 2009
United Nations
30-35 points. Not much of a point producer. But, it wouldn't at all surprise me if he was made a part of the leadership group within a year or two. The guy seems pretty solid.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/dean-bl...-peter-holland-maple-leafs-for-training-camp/

Toronto Maple Leafs centre Peter Holland joins Dean Blundell & Matthew Barnaby to discuss his off-season thus far, whether he spoke to new head coach Mike Babcock or new general manager Lou Lamoriello about expectations for 2014-15, Babcock’s desire that the Leafs become the most fit club in the NHL, and the goal of returning the team to the playoffs.

After inviting Holland to speak to the prospects, it would seem he'll be a favorite of the new management/coaching staff.

Shanahan has talked about being a professional, and they likely chose Holland because he is mature and takes his profession seriously.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/dean-bl...-peter-holland-maple-leafs-for-training-camp/

After inviting Holland to speak to the prospects, it would seem he'll be a favorite of the new management/coaching staff.

Shanahan has talked about being a professional, and they likely chose Holland because he is mature and takes his profession seriously.

I think the Leaf players have gotten the message, come to camp in top shape and be prepared to play at a high level, for the entire year.

There won't be a let down in the play, after Christmas and into the new year, Babcock is going to be the coach for a long time, so players that don't play that way, will be shipped out and replaced and he does have a say, in the players he wants on the team.

Holland did a very good job when filling in on the second line when he was needed and will likely be given more ice time, he is a good two way player and also playing for Babcock, most of the players, should benefit from the coaching this year.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I can see him being a 25/25 guy if his actually hit near his potential.

I'd be happy with a 20/20 though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think he will find success playing under Babcock and Babcock seems to like him more than Kadri and others.
He will do good, but most likely be a 15/25 guy. Think both him and the Goat will be great shut down C for the Leafs for years to come.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think he will find success playing under Babcock and Babcock seems to like him more than Kadri and others.
He will do good, but most likely be a 15/25 guy. Think both him and the Goat will be great shut down C for the Leafs for years to come.

Where are you getting this nonsense from?

I do not think he will be a 40 point player either, maybe 30 points. He is nothing more then a placeholder in my eyes.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Where are you getting this nonsense from?

I do not think he will be a 40 point player either, maybe 30 points. He is nothing more then a placeholder in my eyes.

The fact that Babcock asks him to talk to the prospect instead of Kadri and others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad