2015-2016 Defense

CoutseysCorner92

Jul 19, 2010
With the signing of Medvedev (and potentially Zaitsev), we have 10 NHL defenders (not counting Gus who appears interested in returning to the NHL). What do you all see being our starting 6 entering the 2015-2016 season?

Predicted:

Schultz/Streit
Medvedev/Zaitsev
MacDonald/Gudas
Manning

Schenn traded for 2nd rounder
Grossmann traded for 3rd rounder
MDZ not re-signed

Ideal:

Schultz or Morin/Streit
Medvedev/Zaitsev
MDZ/Gudas
Manning

Schenn traded for 2nd rounder
Grossmann traded for 3rd rounder
MacDonald + 3rd rounder to Phoenix
*If Morin is ready, trade Schultz + 2nd rounder for Kerby Rychel

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm pretty certain you'd have to add a round to each trade projection; ie, Schenn for a 3rd, Grossmann for a 4th, etc.

On the pairings, as much as it would seem advantageous to pair the Russians, isn't Medvedev more offensive-minded, according to what I have read? By most accounts, Zaitsev is eager to jump into the rush, so a more defensively aware partner would be more logical. I'd consider the following shuffle:

Schultz/Zaitsev
MacDonald/Streit
Medvedev/Gudas
Manning

Plus, if one of Grossmann or Schenn cannot be dealt without unreasonably sweetening the deal, they can take the Gudas spot and push him to 7th Dman. I am completely meh on Manning as the 7th, which would probably be the worst place to put him: sporadic playing time for an AHL tweener with major holes in his game.

Or go along the lines of ideal, with the resigning of Del Zotto and run:

Schultz/Zaitsev
MacDonald/Streit
MDZ/Medvedev
Gudas

I know I'm breaking my own rule about Medvedev with an offensively minded Dman, but it's rather unavoidable here, and Medvedev has value as a left-hander who can play RHD.

#HaksiPondHockey

Fulton44*

Pretty much agree with you with a few minor exceptions:

Streit - Macdonald
Medvedev - Zaitsev
Schultz - Gudas
Cheap vet (Michalek, Volchenkov, Gleason, etc)

MDZ is a restricted free agent so if the Flyers don't sign him they should be able to trade him for something of value.

On Grossmann and Schenn I think you are being way too optimistic in what you expect the Flyers to get back for them in trades, especially Schenn.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Hex did say Medvedev can play the right side very well. Wonder if means he's going to be there for sure.

Zairsev is also a RHD. So based of of this...

MacDonald-Streit
Schultz-Medvedev
Gudas-Zaitsev

Realistically I would like Schultz on the 3rd pairing and Gudas as the 7th man but I think this will be it (if both Schenn & Grossmann are traded) if only one is, then the other plays on the left side of Zaitsev

CoutseysCorner92

Jul 19, 2010
I was thinking that we may be undervaluing Grossmann and Schenn (especially with a weak class of FA defensemen), but we shall see. Anybody know if Zaitsev and Medvedev have played together before?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
With the rumors of Zaitsev coming here and the signing of Medvedev as well, I think a shocker is going to happen on the back end. Either Streit or MacDonald getting moved in a trade. I think teams could really value what Streit could bring to the table. A 2nd rounder+ pretty good prospect maybe could be the deal. Maybe a Rychel+2nd rounder for Streit. He is still under contract for 2 more years as well. Teams never mind trading more for players under contract.

I think Del Zotto is back. He seems like the type of player Hacks wants in his lineup. Grossmann, Schenn, Prongers cap hit, MacDonald or Streit are all moved.

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014
Very very little chance Manning makes the big club next year. IMO, he is not an NHL dman. I know he is on a 1 way contract, but that doesn't matter. He can rack up the $ in Lehigh.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Worst case is MDZ gets a 1 year deal (QO or if he can file for arbitration, whatever he is awarded on a 1 year deal). If it is too high, trade him at the deadline where he would have value as a rental.

Start:

Schultz-Streit
Medvedev-Zaitsev
MDZ-Gudas
AMac

Possible at end:

Schultz-Streit
Medvedev-Zaitsev
Morin/Ghost-Gudas
Amac

Note: if they are out of the playoff hunt, Medvedev could be another rental traded if both Morin and Ghost (or Hagg) look ready to play

pdg123

Apr 21, 2015
I think the better way to look at the Flyers' situation right now is to split up the defenders in terms of "who will definitely be back," "who may be here," and "who has a good chance of leaving."

In terms of "Definitely Back" I think you have:
Medvedev
MDZ
Schultz
MacD

"Maybe back/Coming"
Gudas
Streit
Zaitsev

"Probably Gone"
Schenn
Grossmann
Gustafsson
Manning (AHL)

As you see, if the Flyers keep all of their "Definitely Back" and "Maybe back/Coming" players, they have to make at least two trades and potentially find a home for gustafsson.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Del Zotto was basically their minute-eating, heavy duty allround defenseman in the second half of the last season.

He will be re-signed unless he and his agent decide to shoot for the moon in contract negotiations. Even if he goes to arbitration and no long term deal can be made, he will be here come season start.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Del Zotto was basically their minute-eating, heavy duty allround defenseman last season.

He will be re-signed unless he and his agent decide to shoot for the moon in contract negotiations.
Hextall said they are working on a deal.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
With the rumors of Zaitsev coming here and the signing of Medvedev as well, I think a shocker is going to happen on the back end. Either Streit or MacDonald getting moved in a trade. I think teams could really value what Streit could bring to the table. A 2nd rounder+ pretty good prospect maybe could be the deal. Maybe a Rychel+2nd rounder for Streit. He is still under contract for 2 more years as well. Teams never mind trading more for players under contract.

I think Del Zotto is back. He seems like the type of player Hacks wants in his lineup. Grossmann, Schenn, Prongers cap hit, MacDonald or Streit are all moved.

I could see this happening. I think Streit would be highly sought after if on the block. In my ideal world for the defense next year (assuming Zaitsev is signed and we are talking about no Ghost/Morin/Sanehim/Hagg scenarios) would look like this:

Schultz-Medvedev
MDZ-Schenn
MacD-Zaitsev
Gudas

Streit traded for a good haul
Grossmann traded for whatever they can get
MDZ re-signed
Schenn kept

If we are talking about bringing up one of the young guys (which I would prefer), I would probably get rid of Schenn reluctantly and pop in one of the young guns.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I would be really excited if the Flyers can trade Grossmann, Schenn, and Pronger. If Hextall could move MacDonald that would be an even bigger bonus. Hextall obviously wasn't happy with this team on the backend.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Streit would have to get really good haul for him to get traded. Pretty sure none of MDZ, Zaitsev and Medvedev would be able to handle Streit's EV or PP minutes.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Streit - Lecavalier - Del Zotto
Schultz - MacDonald - Gudas
L. Schenn - Gustafsson - Zaitsev
Manning - Medvedev - Grossmann
Gostisbehere

Giroux - Couturier
Voracek - Simmonds
B. Schenn - Read

we win for having most defensemen.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Streit should be able to fetch a 1st. he's a 50 point Dman. I would think he'll definitely be gone at the deadline when teams are most desperate.

Juneemoon

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
The Oshawa Generals won the OHL championship last Saturday and Del Zotto was interviewed after the game.

http://www.yorkregion.com/sports-st...to-reflects-on-past-and-present-at-ohl-final/

The smooth-skating blueliner is a free agent come July 1 but would like to stay with the Flyers who he signed with last year after splitting the previous season with the New York Rangers and Nashville Predators.

"We're hoping to get something done sooner rather than later. It's just a matter of getting something fair for both sides," he said.

Asked if he would like to play for the New York Islanders, a team that includes a number of his former Generals teammates including Tavares, Cal Clutterbuck and Calvin de Haan, Del Zotto smiled but said he's happy in Philadelphia.

"There are a lot of them (ex-Generals) there... big rivalry with Philadelphia. No, I love it there (Philadephia). Closest group of guys I've ever played with. Really want to go back, really love it there. I really believe in what we're doing. It's a great fit for me and I hope to be there for many years."

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I'm not ready to pencil Zaitsev in the line up just yet. A lot has to happen before he's in the starting 6 opening night. I just think it's wishful thinking.

Streit-Schenn
MDZ-Schultz
McDonald-Medvedev
Gudas-Manning

I think they go with those 8. Grossmann dealt for a 5th.

MDZ is a must resign. He makes G and Voracek that much more dangerous...they are constantly looking for him out there.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would like to package L.Schenn or Grossmann with our Tampa 1st to move into the teens. I think a team around that spot could be willing
You move the other way if you include those guys.

Expiring contracts or not, no team is going to help the Flyers by taking over $7 mill in contracts...and then you consider the caliber of players they are.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Everyone's trading Schenn and Grossmann, and while I'm not averse to that, I'm really hoping we get rid of MacDonald. And re-sign Del Zotto.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Grossmann and Schenn are easier sells. They are only 1 year deals. MacDonald is a 5.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I think it ends up:
Streit Schultz
MDZ Schenn
Amac Medvedev
Gudas

Everyone gets upset and says hex didn't try enough like Homer did with Mez. But after trade deadline I think its
MDZ Schenn
Morin Schultz
Ghost Medvedev
Amac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad