Prospect Info: 2015-16 Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #9

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Went Lindbolm. Can't go wrong with Cousins here, but by almost ALL accounts Lindbolm's worse attribute, his skating, isnt even bad anymore. I think Bill stated its pretty good now. That, along with him wanting to come to NA, I like his potential. One of the top scorers in the WJC. I truely think he can become a top 6 forward, and play that "support" role.

Apple will have a fun time watching Sandstrom & Lindbolm at the same time.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I recall being surprised by Lindblom's skating last summer in clips I saw from the development camp. I expected it to be awkward based on reports, but he had good edgework and wasn't awkward at all. He might not be fast, but his skating itself is fine. Got the same impression from the WJCs.

SchennSational1022*

I recall being surprised by Lindblom's skating last summer in clips I saw from the development camp. I expected it to be awkward based on reports, but he had good edgework and wasn't awkward at all. He might not be fast, but his skating itself is fine. Got the same impression from the WJCs.

Apparently he has massively improved his skating since getting drafted, big time. Great to hear

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
When's the last time the flyers have had such depth to their prospect pool? I feel like in 2010 lindblom and cousins both would of been in our top 5. And still guys like Martel, Friedman, kase, vorobyov, and fazleev to go. I know not all of them will make it, but you can make a case for all of them having the potential to be solid NHL players. And that's not even getting to the goalies. Hextall has done an incredible job restocking the farm and it will pay off in the coming years.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
When's the last time the flyers have had such depth to their prospect pool? I feel like in 2010 lindblom and cousins both would of been in our top 5. And still guys like Martel, Friedman, kase, vorobyov, and fazleev to go. I know not all of them will make it, but you can make a case for all of them having the potential to be solid NHL players. And that's not even getting to the goalies. Hextall has done an incredible job restocking the farm and it will pay off in the coming years.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

PF

Aug 23, 2003
UK
Visit site
We were so high on Stolarz before Mason took over. What happened?

He's had a year of adjustment to the AHL so didn't put up numbers that wow you, we've acquired some other more highly touted prospects and other players have had good seasons.

I don't think it's necessarily a knock on him and I think the main driver behind his 'slip' on this list is that he's taken a step up to the AHL and he's adjusting to it so his numbers don't jump out at you right now.

That's my guess.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Stolarz was drafted on size and raw athletic potential.

He was always going to be a long-term project.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's had a year of adjustment to the AHL so didn't put up numbers that wow you, we've acquired some other more highly touted prospects and other players have had good seasons.

I don't think it's necessarily a knock on him and I think the main driver behind his 'slip' on this list is that he's taken a step up to the AHL and he's adjusting to it so his numbers don't jump out at you right now.

That's my guess.

He's probably still the highest rated goalie of out of the five in system. I don't think any of them stand above him in talent & he's the clostest to the NHL out of all of them even if he still has ways to go himself to reach that point.

Goalies in general don't do well in prospect rankings though (they are so unpredictable). The only ones that somewhat do are those can't miss ones who are on the cusp of making the NHL like Andrei Vasilevskiy or John Gibson for example.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Gonna refrain from voting on this one because I really don't know as much about Lindblom as I should and he seems to be the favorite here and for good reason it seems.

I feel like goalies aren't even worth ranking with D and F in prospect rankings. Goalies are so wildly unpredictable in development and their worth as prospects is very ambiguous compared to forwards and D. Almost feels pointless ranking them within the context of an entire prospect pool. Against other goalies (in the same system or league-wide), sure why not.

As far as Cousins goes I'm not seeing it with him. For reasons highlighted earlier about him being a questionable fit for a bottom six NHL role and probably not being good enough at scoring for a top six (or top nine one a great team) role. Not saying he can't make it, I just think that Akeson comparison is kind of fitting in regards to being a tweener and not being completely fit for the bottom half or top half of an NHL lineup. It's also really silly to rate prospects on how close to being NHL ready they are. As a tie-breaker or a consideration, sure, but it doesn't really matter when it comes to prospect pools rankings.

Edit: Actually, **** it I'll vote for Lindblom simply because I don't believe Cousins should be this high up anymore.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't expect Cousins to amount to much. When you're small like he is you have to either be incredibly smart and skilled or have enough speed to make up for it. That's why I see him as Akeson 2.0, AHL scorer who can't produce in the NHL.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
What's the scoop on Lindblom? Any good articles or scouting reports on him? Don't know much about him.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
I don't expect Cousins to amount to much. When you're small like he is you have to either be incredibly smart and skilled or have enough speed to make up for it. That's why I see him as Akeson 2.0, AHL scorer who can't produce in the NHL.

This. I really think this training camp will be Cousins make or break. It will already be tough enough for him to knock anyone out of the roster, as we have even seen opening night rosters that are fairly decent, which don't include Umby or Vinny. I'm sure Cousins will get a chance this season as there will be injuries, there always is. Instead of knocking on the door of opportunity, he's going to have to kick it off it's hinges. Unfortunately for Cousins, I see him being a top 6 contributor on any AHL team... just not much as far as NHL goes.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
What's the scoop on Lindblom? Any good articles or scouting reports on him? Don't know much about him.

From watching him at the WJC, I got the impression he could be a modern day Mike Knuble type of player if he pans out. He won't be as heavy or slow as Knuble, but that type of player with a good nose around the net.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I watched him once last season and he was the best player on the ice, playing against some guys that ended up going in the 1st round this draft (can't remember who I just remember there were at least 2). He isn't getting hype because he was an overager while putting up those great numbers, and because he is very undersized. He has insane speed and skill though.

That's great news. I have a very good feeling about him, similar to when we signed read. He might take a little longer to get there, but if he has the skill set everyone says he has then he sounds like he has middle 6 forward potential.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I'd say Stolarz, but the decisions to fire the scout who recommended him and draft three goalies in the same year make me think the Flyers are underwhelmed.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
From watching him at the WJC, I got the impression he could be a modern day Mike Knuble type of player if he pans out. He won't be as heavy or slow as Knuble, but that type of player with a good nose around the net.
I've been quite impressed by his WJC play, too, much more so than Hagg's. Or that of any of our other prospects in recent years, for that matter, with the exception of Provorov and Marti, of course.

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I'd say Stolarz, but the decisions to fire the scout who recommended him and draft three goalies in the same year make me think the Flyers are underwhelmed.

Or they see how many quality assets they can return if they pan out but still have their own quality starter. Why not spend a 4th round pick on a goalie who could either replace your current starter, be traded for multiple assets later, or more likely, bust. Seems like a good gamble that has worked out for teams who have been stacking goalie prospects like Ottawa, LA, and Washington

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad