Prospect Info: 2015-16 Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #10

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
I get the case for Stolarz and Friedman, but how do you justify rating Fazleev more highly than Cousins? His ceiling seems similar (bottom six forward) and he's further from it.

Like Garbage Goal said Cousins is just an another jasonakeson. Skilled player, not NHL caliber. He could be a superstar in the KHL.

Fazleev is more likely to have a NHL-career. He is more defense oriented and is better suited to the bottom6 role than Cousins.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
8 vote gap after 127 votes. I'll start the next poll at lunchtime unless it gets closer by then.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cousins is way underrated around here.

He drew a lot of comparisons to Brad Marchand when he was first drafted.

Small snippet from an article in July 2012...

Sault Ste. Marie general manager Kyle Dubas put it succinctly.

“Nick Cousins is a strong kid who tends to be hated by opposition players and fans.”

And Cousins wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I have fun doing it, it’s the role I accept,” Cousins said prior to the Flyers Developmental Camp in Voorhees this week. “I’ve accepted that role ever since growing up.”

“I’m a small pesky guy that gets in everyone’s face and pisses off the other team. One of those guys you love to have on your team, but hate to play against.”

Nick Cousins participates in a drill at Flyers Developmental Camp in Voorhees, N.J. (Photo: Shelley Szwast)
Considered by many to be the Philadelphia Flyers’ top prospect, Cousins brings a lot more to the table in addition to his agitating style. The 18-year-old led the Greyhounds in scoring with 35 goals and 88 points in 65 games last season. His next closest teammate was Brett Findlay, who finished with 56 points. He was also a plus-1 on a team that allowed 272 goals and had a minus-45 goal differential in 68 games. In addition to his scoring prowess, Cousins, who is a well-known agitator, finished with 88 penalty minutes. He was the only OHL player in the top 10 in scoring with 70 PIMs or more.

“Nick has tremendous hockey sense, first and foremost,” Dubas said. “He is a puck possession type of player; he always has the puck or is around the puck.”

“Most importantly, he is able to make elite plays at high speeds. He also has a great ability to block shots, which a lot of people don’t take note of.”

Cousins sees himself as much more than just an agitator, and compares his game to Bruins forward Brad Marchand.

“I think I can bring offensive upside that not too many players have,” he said. “I see the ice really well and am a smart hockey player. Also, I can bring that agitator role as well – a little pesky forward.”

Seems like a guy that will be a solid bottom 6 player at worst.

2nd in PIM among Top 25 scorers in AHL last season so he has so far lived up to the Marchand comparison.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
He drew a lot of comparisons to Brad Marchand when he was first drafted.

Small snippet from an article in July 2012...

Seems like a guy that will be a solid bottom 6 player at worst.

2nd in PIM among Top 25 scorers in AHL last season so he has so far lived up to the Marchand comparison.

He could be or he could be nothing. Prospects are all about potential and educated guesswork really. Could go either way, but myself and others lean towards the latter.

Quoting players about what they think of themselves isn't exactly the best source either. Zac Rinaldo thinks he's a difference maker who can change games with his hits and fights, doesn't mean he is one. Besides, what player is going to think badly of themselves let alone be quoted in such a way?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He could be or he could be nothing. Prospects are all about potential and educated guesswork really. Could go either way, but myself and others lean towards the latter.

Quoting players about what they think of themselves isn't exactly the best source either. Zac Rinaldo thinks he's a difference maker who can change games with his hits and fights, doesn't mean he is one. Besides, what player is going to think badly of themselves let alone be quoted in such a way?

He's not the only one who drew that comparison in his game and I see it from watching him, but fair point.

I think he will be a bottom 6 forward somewhere, but it will all depend on how he converts to wing. I could see him being a Dominic Moore type player, but more of a *****, in the future.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz has much higher upside, but Cousins had a much better 21-year old AHL season. It makes sense to me that it's close.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Stolarz has much higher upside, but Cousins had a much better 21-year old AHL season. It makes sense to me that it's close.

you should just make a tie breaker poll with just Stolie and Cousins open it for a couple hours and see if one of them runs away with it

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I think the poll should just be open a couple more days, because there's no rush, and all this is people getting impatient and wanting to vote. If we want to know what the people that frequent these boards think, then polls shouldn't be closed after those that live on the boards cast their votes.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
With the updates from the development camp plus reading more about him, sandstrom gets a big boost on my list. Guys we are adding now are fringe guys while sandstrom has a long term starter upside.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Went with cousins here, had a really strong year in the AHL was okay in the NHL but thats expected at first. Cousins struggled in his first year in the AHL, like Stolarz, but i expect Stolarz to improve in the AHL once he gets more starts. Got to think he plays more than Labarbera this year

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
If we are going by the upside of our prospects, i would slot sandstrom number 7 right after laughton.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
After seeing him at development camp, Sandstrom is definitely getting my next vote.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Like many I'm basing this on thinking that Stolie has a higher ceiling, despite Cousins being currently better.

I like pests and I like Cousins play, would be great to see him get PPG in the AHL next season, wasn't he top OHL scorer one year? His reputation got a bit tarnished with the sexual assault charges back then and subsequently getting left out of super series. Perhaps he'd be ranked a bit higher for people if it weren't for those past issues.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
After Hagg, it all gets dicey.

I have no idea what NAK has done to deserve winning #8 by such a large margin.

Frankly, after what I saw at prospect camp, I think I might go Sandstrom with my next vote.

Because he doesn't play in the AHL yet. Our pattern is: get very excited about players the year they are drafted, then the next year we heavily overvalue them in these polls, then they get to the AHL and we see what they really are and start having them drop in the polls. Rinse and repeat.

Its still fun to rate them though and this is the happiest I've been with our prospects in a long time. I love what Hexxy is doing to build this team.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Because he doesn't play in the AHL yet. Our pattern is: get very excited about players the year they are drafted, then the next year we heavily overvalue them in these polls, then they get to the AHL and we see what they really are and start having them drop in the polls. Rinse and repeat.

This does seem to be the case.

As I pointed out, Aube-Kubel and Cousins' junior careers seem to have taken very similar statistical arcs, and I expect the same once AK hits the AHL. I'm not saying AK isn't the better prospect; he does have a little more size and straight line speed; but I find it astounding to see the huge margin by which AK won #8 vs. so many people downplaying Cousins as another AHL Akeson when he actually has demonstrated success at a higher level.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This does seem to be the case.

As I pointed out, Aube-Kubel and Cousins' junior careers seem to have taken very similar statistical arcs, and I expect the same once AK hits the AHL. I'm not saying AK isn't the better prospect; he does have a little more size and straight line speed; but I find it astounding to see the huge margin by which AK won #8 vs. so many people downplaying Cousins as another AHL Akeson when he actually has demonstrated success at a higher level.
Comes down to ceiling. He's a better all-around player and a much better skater. I can envision him possibly being a top 6 guy. I don't think Cousins ever approaches that level. Age comes in to play as well. Aube-Kubel is 3 years younger. These are prime development years. We're ranking prospects, not who's the better player today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad