Prospect Info: 2015-16 Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #10

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
This does seem to be the case.

As I pointed out, Aube-Kubel and Cousins' junior careers seem to have taken very similar statistical arcs, and I expect the same once AK hits the AHL. I'm not saying AK isn't the better prospect; he does have a little more size and straight line speed; but I find it astounding to see the huge margin by which AK won #8 vs. so many people downplaying Cousins as another AHL Akeson when he actually has demonstrated success at a higher level.

Cousins was also on an awful SSM team in that season and factored into more goals for his team than NAK did on his very good team. With that said, I think it comes down to style of play. Cousins doesn't have the skill level of NAK and his style given his size which makes it very difficult for him to get a top 6 role. NAK is more boom or bust in a top 6 position whereas Cousins could find a spot on the fourth line.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Cousins was also on an awful SSM team in that season and factored into more goals for his team than NAK did on his very good team. With that said, I think it comes down to style of play. Cousins doesn't have the skill level of NAK and his style given his size which makes it very difficult for him to get a top 6 role. NAK is more boom or bust in a top 6 position whereas Cousins could find a spot on the fourth line.

This is the exact opposite of what we've been lead to believe about NAK. I don't watch his games much but it seems he's a very versatile player. He's the one much better suited for a bottom 6 spot. Cousins is the one I don't see fitting into a bottom 6. Your post is a real head scratcher to me.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
This is the exact opposite of what we've been lead to believe about NAK. I don't watch his games much but it seems he's a very versatile player. He's the one much better suited for a bottom 6 spot. Cousins is the one I don't see fitting into a bottom 6. Your post is a real head scratcher to me.

I probably shouldn't have said boom or bust top 6. I didn't mean that in a way he would bust overall and not make the team, he could certainly play in the bottom 6. I meant in a way that he wouldn't be a staple on a top 6 line and would be bounced around after some flashes in the pan. Similar to Hartnell almost. Just bad wording on my part.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
NAK is like Matt Read type of player where his versatility is his most valuable trait. He can slot up & down your lineup as well play all three forward positions if needed.

If he makes Team Canada it will be for that exact reason.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine if we have three players on team Canada this winter...

Watching Sanheim, Konecny, and NAK all playing would be insane.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Imagine if we have three players on team Canada this winter...

Watching Sanheim, Konecny, and NAK all playing would be insane.

Sanheim and Konecny are locks if they go back down to junior.

I suppose if Leier made it a couple of years ago, then NAK has a shot at a 4th line role.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah. He'll have to have a strong showing.

RW:
Virtanen
Marner
Merkley
Gauthier
Watson
Ho-Sang

That doesn't even include guys like Point that could shift over from center.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
That would be a disaster, but with the way Benning's been going it wouldn't surprise me.
Don't think it'll matter much. I don't see Virtanen becoming an impact player whether they develop him properly or not. He's one of the dumbest top prospects I've ever seen, to be honest.

Quenda

Jul 4, 2015
Three days open and Cousins has been in front by 5-10 votes throughout. Safe to call it? Next poll at least should be over quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad