Confirmed with Link: 2015-16 Salary Cap Set at $71.4M

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
If you don't trade Lucic now, he won't be traded at the deadline unless it's one of those rare Callahan for St Louis deals.

Well, Sweeney just has to trade Lucic if he doesn't sign an extension.

So if he's still unsigned at the deadline and can't come to term with him, he just has to move him even if the Bruins are in 1st place. No doing so would be a huge fail.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If you don't trade Lucic now, he won't be traded at the deadline unless it's one of those rare Callahan for St Louis deals.

I'm fine with that. If Connolly fetched 2 second round picks and Vermette a 1st, I think Lucic can get more.

But I'd keep him this year and worry about the possibility of signing him later. Its what they should have done with Boychuk. This cap is flexible enough right now. Trade Loui, and Kelly. That's what? 8-9 mill right there? You get good players back. Or just dump Kelly for $$. The cap is good news for us.

And I'd resign Lucic without hesitation.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
You also have to add the 4M Seids Cap hit if you add a top-4.

So Savard, Kelly, Seids out= saving of 11M

Some of this will go for Hamilton raise. The rest go to a 4th liner making 750k to replace Kelly and a new top-4 D to replace Seids.

We are assuming:

Chara - Hamilton
Krug - New Guy

I like Krug, but not as a top4.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
$11,558,333 in cap space not including a Savard LTIR

EDIT: actually that number does not include Savard as he was most likely left out for LTIR savings, I just read it wrong haha.

Last edited:

rcduthie77

Mar 31, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
With the raise in the cap, if we can slide Chris Kelly out, we should be good to go and Sweeney could look to move Reilly Smith in a hockey trade for a young top-4 even *cough* Gormley *cough*.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
With the raise in the cap, if we can slide Chris Kelly out, we should be good to go and Sweeney could look to move Reilly Smith in a hockey trade for a young top-4 even *cough* Gormley *cough*.

Yep. Kelly for anything. Smith or Loui in a package for a D man, maybe Seids depending on the other moves and it really doesn't look dire.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Yep. Kelly for anything. Smith or Loui in a package for a D man, maybe Seids depending on the other moves and it really doesn't look dire.

This should diminish the threat of an offer sheet considerably. Worse case scenario we buy out Kelly. If any thing else happens before Kelly is either traded or bought out then we are in trouble going forward.

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
This should diminish the threat of an offer sheet considerably. Worse case scenario we buy out Kelly.

For sure, obviously you don't want to be forced into anything as you lose leverage, but it's not as though the B's have zero maneuverability here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is good news.

So by my calculations if the Bruins:

Buy-out Chris Kelly for a cap hit of 1.0 million this year and next

Re-sign Connolly and Spooner to 2-year bridge deals at 1.5 AAV each

Re-sign Hamilton to a long-term 8 year deal for 50 million with 6.25 AAV

Sign a NHL experienced back-up for no more than 1.25 AAV

They can at minimum run this 22 man roster to start next season:

Marchand - Bergeron - Eriksson
Smith - Krejci - Connolly
Lucic - Spooner - Pastrnak
Talbot - Kempainnen - Ferlin

Extra: Randell

Chara- Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
Morrow - Trotman

Extra: Miller

Rask
NHL UFA Back-up 1.25

If you remove Savard's cap hit it works out to 71.33 million.

Is the above an ideal roster? No. But displays the Bruins cap crisis isn't what the media make it out to be and are a simply Kelly buy-out away (hopefully they can trade him and save the extra 1 million) from having the cap space they need to ice their current roster with these fair numbers.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Not counting any potential future moves, 11.6 for the three RFA's. Just enough breathing room.

We'll round to $11m.

$6.25/8 - Dougie Hamilton
$1.5m/1 - Ryan Spooner
$1.5m/1 - Brett Connolly
UFA goalie - probably ~1m

That's 10.25m... Subtract 3m in Kelly, 3.75m is plenty for our prospects. Not a whole lot of room, and Dougie could get more... But it's definitely possible. Sweeney will have to be creative and hopefully he can be. If he can ink Dougie to the deal I listed above, he'll be off to a great start.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Chrs Kelleh

Pls Leev

Dolan-duck-smile_zps1994f2da.png

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
This is good news.

Chara- Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
Morrow - Trotman

Rask
NHL UFA Back-up 1.25

Is the above an ideal roster? No. But displays the Bruins cap crisis isn't what the media make it out to be and are a simply Kelly buy-out away (hopefully they can trade him and save the extra 1 million) from having the cap space they need to ice their current roster with these fair numbers.
I hope we don't start next season with that roster .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I hope we don't start next season with that roster .

I consider this a "worst-case" scenario that all Sweeney can do is re-sign their current guys and get a capable back-up.

That being said it's a team that can compete for a playoff spot as is with some progression from their young players.

But it's not a contender at least on paper.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins know what they’re up against: cap is $71.4m

“You’re sort of guessing prior, but with concrete knowledge now, I think you can continue to do planning that we had been doing with a clear understanding of where you have to be,†general manager Don Sweeney told reporters in Las Vegas. “We’ve been in that general vicinity anyway, so I don’t think it came as any great surprise, but it certainly didn’t go down any lower than the level which it did today, which is a bonus for us.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/23/bruinsweb/mRcC0va0RePrAt4IrLbsNN/story.html

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
This is good news.

Chara- Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
Morrow - Trotman

Rask
NHL UFA Back-up 1.25

This might be dumb, but a NTC doesn't prevent buyouts right? Because while yes a team would take on Kelly for a mid to late round pick, Kelly still has to waive his NTC (unless his is limited?) Lastly, I'm not too sure on how buyouts work, even though Kelly has only this upcoming year left, the buyout is over 2 years?

Thanks, sorry I'm pretty uneducated on the subject.

I really like the RFA deals you proposed, I'd be down for all three of them.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
This might be dumb, but a NTC doesn't prevent buyouts right? Because while yes a team would take on Kelly for a mid to late round pick, Kelly still has to waive his NTC (unless his is limited?) Lastly, I'm not too sure on how buyouts work, even though Kelly has only this upcoming year left, the buyout is over 2 years?

Thanks, sorry I'm pretty uneducated on the subject.

I really like the RFA deals you proposed, I'd be down for all three of them.

I'm no better at this than others. Dom, Finance Guy, Glory or wherever BrainofJ is know this stuff pretty well.

I think a NMC blocks the ability to be waived which is required as a part of the buyout process.

That said, I think Kelly could bring back a 4th in the 16 draft. I don't think we have to pay to move him.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Kelly isn't negative money, they can trade him for a third.

3 mil for a 3rd line centre in his last year isn't that terrible.

I don't believe that Boston could fetch a third for Kelly. The best would be a 5th or 6th. Moreover, I think that the Bruins would have to include a low pick or middling prospect to get a team to take Kelly and his contract.

Also, he's fourth-line player (C or LW).

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I don't believe that Boston could fetch a third for Kelly. The best would be a 5th or 6th. Moreover, I think that the Bruins would have to include a low pick or middling prospect to get a team to take Kelly and his contract.

Also, he's fourth-line player (C or LW).

"his contract" only has the one year left on it so I think he should be a lot easier to move than in past years. I could definitely see a young team with cap space taking a flyer on him as a depth/leadership guy. As some have speculated he would make a lot of sense in Edmonton due to the Chia connection and the fact that he could be a strong lockerroom voice there.

Honestly I don't care what they get back for him. I'd move him for future considerations at this point.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Why do people put Loui and Reilly Smith in the same sentence?

Because they're both moveable players, doesn't say anywhere that they're of equal value. Although I do realize it's fashionable around these parts to believe R Smith has zero/negative value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad