Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Hall

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Gazdic, Ference

Biggest surprise: Draisaitl

Biggest disappointment: Lander/Letestu

Overall grade: C-

This is my take as well. (I'm too lazy to go into detail.) Although I'll ad:

- Chia - cannot give a score so far. He pretty much stated at the beginning of the year he has to see what he's got, and he is taking the appropriate amount of time. That being said, I guess with the Scrivens, Nikitin thing, and the off season workings that have yet to unfold, I'd say B- maybe.

- McLellan B+

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Only on HFoil is last in the league a consensus C.
Just because you use to get 10% on all your tests and now you get 30% doesn't change the fact that you have an F.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Just because you use to get 10% on all your tests and now you get 30% doesn't change the fact that you have an F.

short memory span?
Make this exact pole after a loss and I bet D + F would atleast be 20% higher

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011

No kidding. Being DFL in the entire league = F.

Sure the team is "visually better", but this is the NHL. It's about results. Results are not there. We're exactly where we have been for the better part of a decade. Big fat F until things turn from visually better to actually better (ie WINS).

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Management (based of signings, draft etc.): B. Pretty tough to call at this point really, but the 2015 draft looks pretty good. I'm happy with most of the trades/signings made this last off-season. Also happy that Nikitin and Ference weren't gifted spots.

Coaches: B+. Pretty happy with the coaching thus far. The team has improved quite a bit from the beginning of the season, and coaching seems to be playing a big part.

Players:

Hall (A-) Draisaitl (A) Purcell (B-)
Pouliot (C+) Nuge (B) Eberle (C)
Hendricks (B-) Letestu (C) Yakupov (C)
Korp (C+) Lander (D) Pakarinen (C-)

Nurse (B) Sekera (B)
Klefbom (B) Fayne (D+)
Davidson (B-) Gryba (B)

Nilsson (B)
Talbot (C-)

McDavid (A-)
Reinhart (C+)
Ference (F)

Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Taylor Hall

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Andrew Ference

Biggest surprise: Leon Draisaitl

Biggest disappointment: Anton Lander or Cam Talbot

Overall grade: D+ I think this team is a little better than their record indicates; however, being last in the league again makes it hard to give them a much higher grade.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Management (based of signings, draft etc.): C. Honestly its tough because its so early to judge all of Chia's moves but this is the grade I would give him. Very early impressions of the drafting is that he seemed to be so far decent. I really did like his acquisitions of Sekera and Talbot but so far neither has really done that well (although Sekera seems to be improving now). Thought the korp and letestu moves were decent. Letestu has done exactly what I think he needs to do in bringing a good defensive game while creating some chances offensively. Reinhart move I was not a big fan of at all. Don't see much upside in him (max out as 4th dman) He has surprised me with his play with some good games but he has also had some bad ones. Inconsistent. Wasn't a fan of Gryba trade either but I was more okay with it due to there being no significant assets used there. In terms of Gryba's performance its the same as Rienhart's.

Coaches: B-. Well with McLellan our offence has improved so far with us having 2.75 GF/GP which is good enough for 12th in the NHL so far which is a huge improvement on what we had for the past few years. Our GA/GP is 3.13 which is only the slightest improvements. Obviously its hard to do that considering the defence he has but also the fact that his goalies have so far have let him down. In terms of special teams our PP has improved by 2% and it had a very slow start at the beginning of the season. Also our PK has seen slight improvements as well. Our shot generation and shot suppression has improved and we seem to be in more games but in the end we do end up losing more than we win. I do think this has to do more so with the quality of players available (mostly on our defensive end and goaltending) than McLellan himself.

Players:

Hall (A) Draisaitl (A) Purcell (C)
Pouliot (C) Nuge (B) Eberle (C+)
Hendricks (C) Letestu (C) Yakupov (C+)
Korp (C) Lander (F) Pakarinen (D)

Nurse (C+) Sekera (C)
Klefbom (B-) Fayne (D+)
Davidson (C) Gryba (C-)

Nilsson (C-)
Talbot (D+)

McDavid (A-)
Reinhart (C-)
Ference (F)

Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Taylor Hall has been the best and Draisaitl as well has just been nothing short than fantastic. Not much really needed to be explained here.

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Anton Lander has been the worst Oiler so far. Pains me to say this because I had a lot more hope for him especially after last season but he has been nothing like he was last season. 0 points in 20 games is inexcusable.

Biggest surprise: Leon Draisaitl is quite easy and really everyone knows why.

Biggest disappointment: Anton Lander see above for worst player as to why. Cam Talbot has been a disappointment as well. He showed some good stuff very early on but has pretty inconsistent and has struggled in more recent games. I do think that he is a better goalie than he has showed us but so far he just he hasn't been good.

Overall grade: D+. In the end this is a results based business and we are in last place again which is not good enough. Yes we have seen some improvements for the team but we don't see improvement in the standings. Until we see some real improvements in the standings its hard to grade them any higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad