2015-16 Quarter Season report card

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
So we're 20 games into the McLellan/Chia/McD era and 25%(or close enough) through the 2015-16 NHL season. I thought we could have a thread to 'grade' this team through 20 games.

Here are some stats to give you some reference:
- 7-12-1 record
- 14th in the Western conference
- GF: 55 (6th in the NHL)
- GA: 63 (27th in the NHL)
- PP: 19.7% (14th in the NHL)
- PK: 77.8% (21st in the NHL)
- Shots/gm: 28.6 (22nd in the NHL)
- SA/gm: 29.1 (11th in the NHL)

Management (based of signings, draft etc.):

Coaches:

Players: (sorted by lines and pairings)

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell:
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle:
Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov:
Korp-Lander-Pakarinen:

Nurse-Sekera:
Klefbom-Fayne:
Davidson-Gryba:

Nilsson:
Talbot:

McDavid:
Reinhart:
Ference:

Best player on the Edmonton Oilers:

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers:

Biggest surprise:

Biggest disappointment:

Overall grade:

McDeathbyCheerios*

B. Nothing great so far but no huge flops. Injuries have made it hard.

Coaches: A. The team is still flawed but even with the **** ton of injuries,and rough schedule the team is fun to watch and he is getting great performances from some guys.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell: A. One of the better lines in hockey right now.
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: C. Pretty average right now
Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov: C
Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: C

Nurse-Sekera: B
Klefbom-Fayne: B
Davidson-Gryba: C

Nilsson: B
Talbot: C

McDavid: A
Reinhart: C
Ference: F

Taylor Hall

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Andrew Ference

Biggest surprise: Leon Draisaitl

Biggest disappointment: Anton Lander

Overall grade: [/QUOTE]C

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Management, B minus.

Coaching, B plus.

Best, Hall.

Worst, Lander.

Biggest surprise, Schultz before he got injured.

Biggest disappointment, Talbot.

Overall grade, D. And only that high because things look to be finally improving... Visually lol. Anyone who gives the dead last team in the nhl anything other than an D or F doesn't understand the grading system :-P

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Management (based of signings, draft etc.): C+; It's pretty clear that they are still in evaluation mode. They made a mistake of not buying out Nikitin when they had a chance in the summer, but they also made some decent moves that are impacting the roster to varying degrees

Coaches: A-; Made the tough decisions when they needed to in training camp, and have the majority of the roster pulling in the same direction. The team's markedly improved defensive structure and work ethic level is a credit to their efforts, but the weak links on defense and in net have been undermining their work unfortunately

It's pretty clear that this is the best coaching staff this franchise has had since the Sather era.

Players:

-Hall: A+, teams best player this season, by far
-Draisaitl: A, Fantastic chemistry with Hall, and looks like he's not just a coat tail rider either. Might make RNH expendable by the end of the year if he keeps it up.
-Purcell: C, poor start, but has picked up his play as a competent complementary winger for Hall/Drai.
-Pouliot: C, Fits in everywhere, but is dependent on his linemates to drive the results. When they're hot, he's hot, when they're cold, he goes cold with them.
-RNH: C-, Similar to Pouliot except he plays a ton more, better defensively than in recent years, but he's still generally invisible offensively, and an absolute pushover in the faceoff circle.
-Eberle: Incomplete, injured, and clearly not up to speed yet.
-Hendricks: B, Missed a bunch of time, but plays hard when he's out there as usual, and finds way to contribute despite the lack of offensive ability.
-Letestu: C-, stone hands and no finish, and forced to play way too high up in the lineup , but he's is what he was advertised as - a 4th liner who can win faceoffs.
-Yakupov: C-, started off strong with Mcdavid, but he's clearly struggling playing with guys like Letestu as his center. It's unfortunate the narrative that he needs to carry a line because of his draft pedigree is coming up again, but it is what it is, and he hasn't been good enough no matter how you look at it.
-Korp: C-, alright when he plays, doesn't add all that much though
-Lander: F, he's been a bust this year. He's not getting time with Hall, nor is the team playing all offense/no defense system like it was under Nelson, and it's clearly showing in his ineffective play. He's pretty clearly playing his way out of Edmonton right now.
-Pakarinen: D, tries, but not a lot of impact or substance to his game on the ice.
-KlinkHammer: C-, another 4th liner who has been too high in the lineup due to injuries, doing decently despite his limitations though
-Shlepshev: D-, perfect example of how different the pace of preseason and regular season games are. He'll likely be a player in the NHL, but probably not this year if his play is anything to go by.

-Nurse: C+, Not playing lights out, and there are the requisite rookie moments here and there. The potential is still showing through though, and he'll get better with time.
-Sekera: D, Poor start that is morphing into a poor season. Have to think he's better than this and will settle in over time, but he's been disappointing thus far.
-Klefbom: C+, Poor start, but unlike Sekera - he's recovered into the team's best defenseman, which bumps his score up quite a bit
-Fayne: D-, spent most of the year looking like a complete rookie, which is about the same as last year and fairly embarrassing for a guy who is supposed to be a veteran in his prime. Hopefully Chia can find a taker for him over the next few months.
-Davidson: C+, has the trust of the coaching staff despite his shift to shift inconsistencies, playing better than expected though.
-Gryba: C-, somewhat reliable defenseman who is prone to brainfarts. Still, better than advertised, which is a rarity when it comes to defensive acquisition in this city over the last 5 years.
-Reinhart: D+, looked good early, but has tailed off a bit over November.
-Ference: R for "he needs to Retire".

-Nilsson: C+, might be winning the starter job despite some mediocre performances.
-Talbot: D-, good start, but the wheels fell right off.

McDavid: A+ for play, F for not being immune to physical damage when crashing into the boards :(

Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Hall, obviously

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Gazdic or Ference

Biggest surprise: Draisialt, I don't think anyone could have predicted he would be this good, this soon

Biggest disappointment: Talbot, he was supposed to settle the goaltending issues, not create more.

Overall grade: C-, Much improved play and it's great to see the team buying into the coaching staff's message, but they are still last in the league and struggling to close out games. Hopefully they'll gain some ground over the next quarter when they start getting healthy.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
C = average performance, based upon the role the player fills for the team (i.e. Assigning a "C" for Eberle and a "B+" for Hendricks doesn't mean that Hendricks is better than Eberle)

Coaches
B+

Forwards
Hall: A
Draisaitl: A+
Purcell: C-
Pouliot: C
Nuge: B
Eberle: C
Hendricks: B+
Letestu: C-
Yakupov: D
Korpikoski: C-
Lander: D
Pakarinen: C

Defensemen
Nurse: A-
Sekera: C-
Klefbom: A-
Fayne: C-
Davidson: B
Gryba: C+

Goaltenders
Talbot: D+

Unavailable
Ference: D+

Best (absolute) player on the Edmonton Oilers: Hall
Worst (absolute) player on the Edmonton Oilers: Ference

Biggest surprise: Draisaitl
Biggest disappointment: Sekera

Overall grade: C+

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Hall

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Gazdic, Ference

Biggest surprise: Draisaitl

Biggest disappointment: Lander/Letestu

Overall grade: C-

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

B- Not panicking on trades because of injury.

Coaches:

A. It's refreshing to watch a team actually play some sort of system and not quit on games.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell: A - A - C
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: C - B - C
Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov: B - D - C
Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: D - F - D

Nurse-Sekera: B - C
Klefbom-Fayne: B - D
Davidson-Gryba: C - C

Nilsson: C
Talbot: F (never forgive him for the Flames loss)

Ference: F

Hall but I think it'd have been McDavid without the injury

Ference but since he rarely plays, I'm going to pin this on Talbot with a honourable mention to Lander.

Biggest surprise:

Draisaitl, honourable mention to Nurse

Biggest disappointment:

Sekera. I was always nervous about Talbot.

Overall grade: [/QUOTE]

C

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

B. Can't really complain about any of Chia's moves thus far outside of Talbot. Sekera is really coming around, Reinhart and Gryba are ok, some ups some downs. Same with Letestu. Mclellan is his biggest signing, I have the utmost confidence in that man.

Coaches:

A. Mclellan just inspires tons of confidence. The way he carries himself, when he speaks and the team is clearly buying into what he's preaching. As most of us thought in the offseason, this is the right fit for the Oilers.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell: A (The first 4 games with McDavid kept it from A+) - A+ - C
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: B- - B - C
Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov: B+ - C - C-
Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: D - F - F

Nurse-Sekera: B - B
Klefbom-Fayne: B+ - C
Davidson-Gryba: C+ - C-

Talbot: D

Reinhart: C-
Ference: F-------

Hall

Ference

Biggest surprise:

Leon the Professional

Biggest disappointment:

Cameron Talbot

Overall grade: [/QUOTE]

C+ (They are playing better than I thought they would especially considering the major injuries. I can say with confidence that they are clearly better than the record indicates but they need to learn how to close out games better. They're getting there.)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Management (based of signings, draft etc.): C... better than the MacT era but hey 14th overall in the West ain't exactly sparkling either. Hopefully Chiarelli gets the rag out soon and addresses some issues to get this team above the basement.

Coaches: C... again MUCH better than Reekins but again this is a results based business and 14th in the West is the mediocre result so far.

Players:

Hall A+
Draisaitl A+
Purcell B+
Pouliot C+
Nuge B
Hendricks A+
Letestu D+
Yakupov B
Korp C
Lander F
Klinkhammer F
Pakarinen F:
McDavid A
Slepyshev D
Gazdic D
Eberle (too early to rate really but D- so far)
Miller F

Nurse B-
Sekera B-
Klefbom B+
Fayne C+
Davidson B-
Gryba B-
Reinhart A
Ference D
Schultz C+

Nilsson: C-
Talbot: D

Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Draisaitl/Hall... can't separate them. Honourable mention to Hendricks who has been stellar as one of the only consistent "non-core" players who gives everything every game without fail.

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Miller from the lesser players... Lander from the middle group... Eberle from the top group (again it's very early for him so that's a bit unfair).

Biggest surprise: Hall is even better than I expected him to be. I knew Draisaitl was going to be extremely good very soon... but being extremely good this fast, yes that's a very pleasant surprise.

Biggest disappointment: Lander and really the entire bottom 6 which shows nothing most games.

Overall grade:

Top 3 teams in the West=A
Next 3 teams =B
Next 3 teams = C
Next 3 teams =D
Last 2 teams = F

Saying that... looking at the schedule and the goal differentials of the team... I give the Oilers a D grade so far.

Last edited:

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
C

-Clearly better but still not winning
-tough comp
-injuries
-new systems yadi yadi yada

By the trade deadline we will know where we are.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Management (based of signings, draft etc.):B- Still need a top pairing defenceman, Talbot has looked bad since training camp but Nilsson has been a pleasant surprise.

Coaches: A. TM is doing a great job. You can see the players buying into the system and the team has been in almost every game.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell: A+ The only better lines are Kane and Benn's line.
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: C. I think they pick it up once Eberle gets back in game shape.
Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov: D. They provide almost nothing, Mcdavid please hurry.
Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: F. Provide even less then the third line.

Nurse-Sekera: B.
Klefbom-Fayne: B
Davidson-Gryba: C

Nilsson: D
Talbot: B-

McDavid: A+
Reinhart: C+
Ference: F-

Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Taylor Hall until Mcdavid comes back.

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Andrew Ference (Please retire)

Overall grade: C-

This team is much better then their record. If they can ever get fully healthy they might be a borderline playoff team.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

C. Not terrible at all but IMO sticking with Lander is looking to be a poor decision and the acquisitions have been average-good but without enough time to really gel or prove themselves, IMO. Plus it looks like Talbot is not going to get the job done, at least so far. His handling of Draisaitl and Nurse has worked out well but didnt necessarily go according to plan either.

Coaches: C+. Almost good. The goalie management has been a little shaky for my liking, which is partly on the goalies. The rotating group of D has made it difficult but there has been good efforts and a team game almost every night. Some of the players are really showing strong two-way games and everything that coach touches on in the interviews really suggests he is doing everything he can to pull this team out of the gutter.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell: B+ - Hall A had some bad games to start the year but quickly became a force. He's been both responsible and dominant and definitely sets the tone for the team when the puck drops. Drai A+ has been light years better than anyones wildest expectations but has only been here for a short while. Purcell C was garbage for most of the season. He has steadily picked up his physical play and begun scoring as well and proving to be an effective compliment to this line in the short time they've been together.

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: B Pouliot B has been pretty solid. he still makes the same offensive zone penalties but is generally a key piece to the teams identity when it comes to physical play. He was really good with McDavid and has cooled off a bit but still remains effective. Nuge B+ He still controls the flow of the game. Hes had some real good moments with drai and hall as well with hall and henricks when mcdavid went down. Eberle C+ Hes still catching up to the team in many ways but is improving steadily. He's been bad for the most part but had a good game last game.

Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov: C. Hendricks B Aside from being injured one cannot complain about what hendricks does and has done this season; hes the defacto captain. Letestu D+ I know he says hes just here to take faceoffs and kill penalties....but can he please do something more than that. I'm being a bit harsh but he's been a big dissapointment for me. I expected some physical play....and a bit of offense, my mistake. Yakpov B- He's been good for a short stretch. Still very usefl for the most part when it comes to managing the game since he is aggressive on both sides of the puck and has a very quick stick. He fights the puck a little too much when things aren't going good. Like Pouliot, he was good with McDavid and remains useful in his absence.

Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: D Korpikoski C has been good as a fast physical presence but wasn't able to find his game early on and has been injured. He has shown he can play anywhere in the lineup though, IMO. He needs to be consistent....and healthy. Lander F I love Lander as a player. He has been atrocious. He's basically Letestu, worse at faceoffs, and taking bad penalties. I have every hope that he will improve though. Pakarinen C hes working his way into the game here and there but generally you cant expect too much from iiro. Ive been impressed and hes been average for his role, i think.

Nurse-Sekera: B Nurse B Hes brought his game to the big leagues without any major hurdles so far. He's keeping it simple so as not to expose himself and try and build some confidence and i think its working well. Sekera B I kind of hoped he'd be a bit more dominant, unfortunately he can get beat but I like his play style for the most part and he doesnt really sag as the games go on, that i've noticed.

Klefbom-Fayne: C+ Klefbom B+ for what hes been asked to do....which is carry the team.....hes been far better than what i expected. Poised and also somewhat of a killer in the offensive zone as well. Fayne C- He was awful for a while there. He had a real good game. I'm not sure if he is just in way over his head here or still figuring out the new team.

Davidson-Gryba : C+ Davidson C+ Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but hes a rookie and he has that clapper. Gryba C+ He has been a nice addition but I'm still not sure if he needs to play 80 games. He might be more of a depth guy.

Nilsson: C I hope he has a higher ceiling than what he is now. Hes been a decent goalie in the few games hes been in. Average but decent.
Talbot: C- His confidence was falling apart while the team tried to figure it out. I think he was really good for the first couple games and hope he gets back to that.

McDavid: A He was the best player on the team before Drai arrived....but I'm not even sure he woul be at drais current level.......yet....
Reinhart: C Hes been ok. Some people love his steady game. I think it might be a little too slow. I do like his size and poise, though. I think he will improve.
Ference: F I like his values. He is not a good hockey player anymore.
Schultz: C He had a few good games, a few bad, then threw his back out somehow....

Leon Draisaitl

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Andrew Ference

Overall grade:
B-/C+

Gambl0r83*

Cool I feel like a teahcer

B - Griffin Reinhart trade, we won IMO. Sekera was a hot commodity in the summer, was swayed to Oil Country. Just the change in management itself takes the cake on this one

Coaches:
A - Todd is God. That is all

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell:A - If you play dota, this line is our hard carry

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: C - Slow start for what was our first line last year. Remember, they were also one of the NHL's hottest lines as well. So calm down with RNH trade rumours, when the guy picks it up, he could potentially be carrying the team when the first line isn't.

Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov:C - Hendo is just a maniac out there, heart and soul player to the core. Mark was near perfect in the face-off vs Jersey, somethin' like 9-1. Yak, well, no mcdavid, no yak attack.

Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: D - Love Korpy, but Anton is really struggling this season, bad penalties, barely any points. Soon enough he'll get replaced if this continues. Iiro has been alright.

Nurse-Sekera: C - Nurse looking like a first line pairing D-man more and more each game. Sekera makes some pretty plays, and also some ugly ones.

Klefbom-Fayne: B - Klef is so g-dang solid, it's amazing how quickly he was able to transform into a steady top pairing NHL d-man. Fayne, although scratched for a number of games, is a great compliment for Klef

Davidson-Gryba: D - Not a fan of this pairing. I like Gryba and the element of size on the back end he brings, but Brandon is a different species and needs a more offensively minded partner

Nilsson: B - Our #1 for the rest of the season, until Laurent takes the reins next year
Talbot: D - SMH

McDavid: A+++++

Reinhart: C - Making rookie mistakes, but each game he is looking better, more stable, and most importantly gaining confidence.

Ference: F - Too bad spider mable didn't leave him for the crows

Connor McDavid

Andrew Ference

Biggest surprise:
Dr. Drai

Biggest disappointment:
Cam Talbot

Overall grade:
C

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
Interesting that two names recurrently come forward in the disappointment section:

Lander: What happened to this guy?! Last year he emerged with Nelson after a solid AHL performance. He continued on with an impressive Worlds. Then 15-16 rolls around and he is a disaster. 20 games not one point in a third line centre?! You would have to try to avoid getting a point by this stage.

Talbot: He looks flat out rattled in net. I was bragging to a Flames mate while watching the 5-4 debacle that I have confidence in Talbot unlike prior years. Then he lets in the 8 second-left killer. He hasn't been the same since. What a disappointment.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I want to give this team a C but the fact that we lost so many close games and are where we are in the standings makes me just give them a D rating.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
At this point it isn't McDavid anymore. Hall is making a star out of Leon. Leon is seriously got is offensive production in beast mode right now.

Ference. It's not even close. Even though he hardly ever gets to play he has to be in the conversation because of how huge his cap hit is for a guy who's paid to watch and eat hot dogs.

Biggest surprise:
Leon. Holy cow. We all knew that his foot speed was hurting him but nobody here can possibly convince me that a year of development can do this to a player. The longer this streak goes the longer it's going to take for us to forget about it. Hope we never do.

Biggest disappointment:
Yakupov. Flat out has to be Yak. If he's ever going to live up to his draft status he's going to have to learn to do more with less at times. When McDavid is back I'm sure he'll have a buddy to rack the score sheet up with... but a first overall pick shouldn't need a magician by his side to put up significant point totals.

Overall grade:

D - And it could be worse. New coach, bunch of new guys and we've had a ton of significant injuries. As we get healthy here things should turn around. Wouldn't be surprised if I was giving Edmonton a C or a C+ half way in. Expecting a C- or better.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Management (based of signings, draft etc.): Only fair, still don't like the Reinhart trade, the bottom 6 guys are not doing anything, top goalie has sucked.

Coaches: Only fair, specials are only okay still over played a guy like schultz, has brought and even keel to the team though. In the end the team is still pretty well dead last.

Best player on the Edmonton Oilers: Connor McDavid, As an 18 year old kid he carried the team the 1st 10 games, not only that he made Yakupov into a ppg player, yak immediately did notjhing at all as soon as mcdavid got hurt. Halls been great but mcdavid is already the best player imo.

Worst player on the Edmonton Oilers: Ferentz, a few others vie for the title but you just can't play ferentz anymore

Biggest surprise: Draisaitl, no one thought he would play this well, not only scoring the points but looking the part and generating offense instead of leeching.

Biggest disappointment: Talbot, looks awful as bad as our last few 'starters' pulling down sub 900 save %. Lander is a very close 2nd though. Not sure what is with this guy, he has shown he can be good in this league and score but he's been casper this year.

Overall grade: C, and that is being generous, I don't care how 'visually' better they are. At this point you have to get results, especially bad is giving up late goals to not even get a loser point.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I'm guessing you've made a typo?

No kidding. I mean Nilsson isn't terrific or anything but he sure as heck is outplaying Talbot so far.

I give the team a C rating. At least they actually are visually better this year. Need wins though.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I prefer to use a different grading scale over the more traditional letter based approach. This way the student has direct verbal feedback that they can specifically associate with their performance.

Management (based of signings, draft etc.): good

Coaches: good

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell: excellent
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: ok
Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov: ok
Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: needs improvement

Nurse-Sekera: good
Klefbom-Fayne: ok
Davidson-Gryba: needs improvement

Nilsson: good
Talbot: poor

McDavid: excellent
Reinhart: ok
Ference: very poor, even for you.

I Like Foolish Posts

Apr 25, 2012
Anyone else feel the power play has been a major disappointment? 19.7% and 14th in the league is just not good enough for the players that are available. RNH has proven in the past to be a very effective power play player, however he hasn't stepped it up this year and guys like McDavid (when he's back) or Draisaitl should get looks on the first unit over him. Purcell has looked like a reborn player lately but he was part of the problem in the earlier weeks. There have been many times this year when the power play needed to cash in with a big goal but it just hasn't delivered consistently.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Management (based of signings, draft etc.): C, Sekera was solid, Letestu sucks, Gryba sucks, Korpikoski is OK, draft was OK sans McDavid. Traded picks sucks so far.
far.

Coaches: B, team looks much improved especially against western opponents.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell: A+
Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle: C-
Hendricks-Letestu-Yakupov: D-
Korp-Lander-Pakarinen: D-

Nurse-Sekera: C+
Klefbom-Fayne: B+
Davidson-Gryba: B for Davidson, F for Gryba

Nilsson: C, at least given us a chance most times
Talbot: F, cost us at least 2 wins.

McDavid: A+
Reinhart: C, not worth the picks yet.