Salary Cap: 2015/16 players and expected contracts

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Letestu is only making $1.3 this season, I can't see the Jackets doubling the salary for a 4th center.

Your 4th line RW who does basically nothing and plays 6 minutes a game is making $1.7. Letestu sees PK and PP duty.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I like Calvert. Right now, he doesn't produce enough to be a middle 6 player and isn't big enough to be a great shutdown wing.
He needs to pot 12 - 15 goals a year IMO to be considered that.

At this point, he'd be a great fourth line wing if we had all of our players in the lineup. When he doesn't have the wheels going or is slowed by an injury he is pretty useless.

He's on pace for 12-13 if he would have been able to play every game. He's our best PK player, will hit, fight and brings speed. He's a very solid 3rd line player, he's starting to gain his speed back, I think he was still not 100% until very recently. I absolutely would sign him to a 3 year deal.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Letestu is only making $1.3 this season, I can't see the Jackets doubling the salary for a 4th center.

How many times do I have to correct this BS? Letestu does a variety of things for us, including PK, PP, 4th line C and playing higher in the lineup. He plays 16 or so minutes a night. If he's a 4th liner then it's because we trust him more than anyone else to babysit the 4th line, not because he can't score. Letestu could play on a scoring line in a snap.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
How many times do I have to correct this BS? Letestu does a variety of things for us, including PK, PP, 4th line C and playing higher in the lineup. He plays 16 or so minutes a night. If he's a 4th liner then it's because we trust him more than anyone else to babysit the 4th line, not because he can't score. Letestu could play on a scoring line in a snap.

I agree. Letestu is pretty versatile. Glad to have him back. I want to keep him around.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Couldn't agree more. His versatility - maybe the most Versatel guy on the team - is highy valuable. And I also believe he wants to be here. I have to add that The debate on whether Cam is worth $2M to $2.2M a year shocks me. His liability is health. But when healthy he's a legitimate 18- 20 goal scorer and ideal on a 3rd scoring line.....$2M is not too much to pay for that kind of role and goal scorers like Cam make over $2 million a year.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It's great what Letestu can do, but if you look at the depth and future of the team at the C position he is way down the list and signing him to a huge raise for 3 years isn't a smart move.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jenner Joey Hartnell
Foligno Anisimov Wennberg
Calvert Dubinsky Atkinson
Rychel Letestu Morin
Boll

That line-up can fit nicely under the cap for the next 3-4 years giving guys like Milano, Bjorkstrand and Dano time to develop and put on weight/muscle. Imo the cap is not an issue unless there is an internal one.

I don't necessarily like Wennberg on AA's wing net year but barring a trade for a top 6 RW I don't see how else it plays out. If we can't resign AA for reasonable $ and term there is always Wennberg to C or Jenner could fill that role until Wennberg develops.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's great what Letestu can do, but if you look at the depth and future of the team at the C position he is way down the list and signing him to a huge raise for 3 years isn't a smart move.

He makes a damn good skilled winger too. And you would have thought we had too many centers going into this year too.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Does everything have to come back to Boll?? I almost hope he's traded just so I don't have to hear everyone ***** about him anymore.
If it's not him, it'll be someone else. Inevitably, somebody has to be the fall guy.

I'm just glad that nowadays it's primarily the enforcer - a role that's largely replaceable and marginal - rather than, say, one of our best defensive blueliners (Klesla), or our starting goaltender (Mason, and at one point Norrena), or our starting to slow down three-time MVP (Umberger), or our only effective PP defenseman (Hainsey), or our #2C (Brassard), or the guy who carries our second pairing (Russell), or... well, you get the idea.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jenner Joey Hartnell
Rychel Letestu Morin
Boll

That line-up can fit nicely under the cap for the next 3-4 years giving guys like Milano, Bjorkstrand and Dano time to develop and put on weight/muscle. Imo the cap is not an issue unless there is an internal one.

I don't necessarily like Wennberg on AA's wing net year but barring a trade for a top 6 RW I don't see how else it plays out. If we can't resign AA for reasonable $ and term there is always Wennberg to C or Jenner could fill that role until Wennberg develops.

Nice lineup. I hope we go for that.. although I also wouldn't mind getting something for Arty and bringing one of Jenner/Foligno/Wennberg to center.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Nice lineup. I hope we go for that.. although I also wouldn't mind getting something for Arty and bringing one of Jenner/Foligno/Wennberg to center.

Yes! :yo:

Foligno - Johansen - Hartnell
Acquisition* - Dubinsky - Wennberg
Calvert - Jenner - Atkinson
Rychel - Letestu - Morin
Gibbons - Skille

* from trade of Anisimov.
Boll is either traded or waived off the roster.

Last edited:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Jenner Joey Hartnell
Rychel Letestu Morin
Boll

I can't see Jenner as anything other than center past this year, maybe next.

The Letestu situation comes down to Anisimov to me. Letestu, if resigned, will most likely be moved to wing if Jenner or Wennberg is indeed slotted at center, which is one of the best reasons to keep him - versatility. If anything, I kind of see AA as the odd man out because he doesn't have that same versatility. I can't really see him being resigned after next season, so I fully expect to see him dealt before then. I love the guy's game, but it seems to me that he doesn't fit into even the short term plan - unless they decide to not resign or deal Letestu. Given the difference in salary and versatility, Letestu seems like the better choice.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Okay may be a terrible idea but what if:
Option a

Hartnell Johansen Anisimov
Foligno Jenner Wennberg
Morin Letestu Chaput

Reasoning Rychel and other prospects develop, Chaput gets more comfortable eventually turns into our 4c as Letestu teaches him. Wennberg learns to play with heart (not saying he dosent) from to guys who know how to play. 3rd line already has chemistry and fourth line not to shabby either.

Option b
Hartnell Johansen Foligno
Calvert Dubinsky Wennberg
Rychel Jenner Atkinson
Morin Anisimov Letestu

Roll 4 with every line having at least 2 solid nhlers

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
my suggestion on the 1 year prove it deal for Calvert was based more on him wanting that (thinking he can stay healthy and pot more goals for a more lucrative contract in the next offseason) than GMJK forcing it

sorry that I didn't clarify.. I love Calvert

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Me too...but I suspect for different reasons.

I'm not unrealistic, I know Boll hasn't contributed a ton this year in the fighting category. But until we have the next Gretzky sitting in the press box while he plays, he deserves a roster spot over the borderline AHL players we have had. He has earned the respect of his teammates, coaches, management and should have the fans respect for fighting and sticking up for everyone in that room. Every single player looks up to him and respects him for putting his health and face on the line a lot of nights fighting any and all comers and giving the fans a little reason to be happy on many a dismal night when we stunk up the joint. I think it's ridiculous the lack of respect he gets on this board. Anyone willing to get punched in the face or punch a helmet or visor repeatedly so that the Calverts and Atkinson's and our star players aren't getting cheap shotted or run on a regular basis has earned their spot on my team. The horse is dead and beaten beyond recognition, we GET IT, most of you don't like him and/or fighting and don't think he should be here. I trust and respect Coach Richards, management and the players that are in the room, on the buses, in practice with him that all believe he absolutely should be in battle with them. So get off him already all you Boll haters, enough is enough. We aren't losing any games because of him and there isn't a player that's sat this year that would have been any better or brought any intangibles to the ice that Boll doesn't bring. I thought the 4th line was one of our most effective lines last game. Believe me, the other team plays a different style when he's in the lineup, that doesn't show up on the score sheet or in the papers the next day. But it means something to the team and players enough that he's a captain and that should be good enough for all of you that have never laced up the skates in any fashion other than Saturday night open skates. He's a solid person in the community and I've met him many a night at the bars on Park Street in years past and he's bought me beers and always been a great guy. Anyone that went through the awful years here and WANTED to be here and gave their all has earned their stripes in my book and deserves his 1.7 million, we are not in any financial distress with the cap and saving 800k and throwing a Cracknell or Collins or some other mediocre guy in there doesn't do a damn bit of good for this team. So really guys, enough is enough. Accept that he will be in the lineup until Richards thinks we have a better option. Every thread is taken over with the same old crap.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

LOL.

If he is, I guarantee someone will post every time he does something worthwhile for his new team. They will claim it's just "around the NHL" but we'll all know there's an agenda. And some of us will find it ironic that he got mentioned because the poster will have said something like "enough about (player) already"!

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
LOL.

If he is, I guarantee someone will post every time he does something worthwhile for his new team. They will claim it's just "around the NHL" but we'll all know there's an agenda. And some of us will find it ironic that he got mentioned because the poster will have said something like "enough about (player) already"!

Ambiguity is my friend.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
LOL.

In unrelated news, Umberger had a two-goal night sometime last week.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In unrelated news, Umberger had a two-goal night sometime last week.

1080229649_1936.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad