2015-16 Opening Night Roster - LARKIN MAKES IT (Post 159)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
What do you guys think? 1st regular season game is 3 days away, what do Blashill and Holland have planned? What is the status of our injured players who will be ready to go? When will the public hear about cuts, starting today or wait until Monday? Who starts the season in net? Help me fill in the blanks, I have a lot of questions! :help:

Abdelkader- Z- Nyquist
?- Richards- Tatar
Franzen- Sheahan- ?
Miller- Andersson- ? (please tell me it's not Ferraro)

Kronner- E
?- Green
Smith- ?

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
IMO it should be

Abby Z Nyquist
Larkin, Richards, Tatar
Franzen, Sheahan, Pulks/Jurco
Miller, Glendening, Helm

Sit one of Pulks or Jurco and make them earn it more. Probably Jurco, just hasn't impressed in preseason.

Once Datsyuk comes back make a decision on Larkin for longer term.

Kroner, W
Q, Green
Smith, Jensen
Kindl?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Franzen - Richards - Tatar
Jurco -Sheahan - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro
(Helm, Andersson)
(Datsyuk LTIR)

Kronwall - Smith
DeKeyser - Green
Quincey - Ericsson
Kindl

Mrazek
Howard

If you go to page 2 you'll see a series of threads where we voted this as the starting line up

Ferraro being in for Helm is due to health right now, but I think Henkka's voting options were the perfect storm of "where is Helm?" in the threads, so much so that we voted him out of the starting line up

I think it is clear he will bump Ferraro (Andersson?) off the 4th line once healthy

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
What do you guys think? 1st regular season game is 3 days away, what do Blashill and Holland have planned? What is the status of our injured players who will be ready to go? When will the public hear about cuts, starting today or wait until Monday? Who starts the season in net? Help me fill in the blanks, I have a lot of questions! :help:

Abdelkader- Z- Nyquist
?- Richards- Tatar
Franzen- Sheahan- ?

Kronner- E
?- Green
Smith- ?
Yes, but 5 days away for Detroits first game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ferraro being in for Helm is due to health right now, but I think Henkka's voting options were the perfect storm of "where is Helm?" in the threads, so much so that we voted him out of the starting line up

I think it is clear he will bump Ferraro (Andersson?) off the 4th line once healthy

These were the voting results:

Akader(63.9%) ---- Zetterberg(63.6%) -- Nyquist(57.9%)
Franzen(50.0%) ---- Richards(55.9%) --- Tatar(59.3%)
Jurco(78.9%) ------- Sheahan[88.9%) --- Pulkkinen 61.5%)
Miller/helm(43.8%) - Glendening(84.0%) - Ferraro(50.0%)
(13. Andersson)
(Datsyuk LTIR)

Kronwall(87.8%) --- Smith(55.3%)
DeKeyser(95.8%) -- Green(89.5%)
Quincey(57.7%) ---- Ericsson(56.7%)
(7. Kindl)

Starter: Mrazek(67.9%)
Backup: Howard(32.1%)

It was a split voting between Miller and helm. Both got 13 votes for LW spot and 5 votes for RW spot. So Miller goes in, because helm is injured.

But I think Ferraro will drop out, because he did look decent, but was unable to score any points at pre-season. Miller got 3 goals and Andersson some assists.

Now, when DeKeyser did got injured, that defence will need a total shakeup and re-thinking.

It looks like that Kronwall-Ericsson is set in stone also in Blashill's minds, so that will be there. Is Quincey the best defensive option to compliment Green? Then it leaves Smith-Kindl to 3rd pair. 7th guy is meaningless, could be Lashoff again. he won't play.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
You have to think DeKeyser starts on IR and they carry one extra defenseman. The forwards seem set in stone. Larkin will do well playing big minutes for the Griffins.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
These were the voting results:

It was a split voting between Miller and helm. Both got 13 votes for LW spot and 5 votes for RW spot. So Miller goes in, because helm is injured.

But I think Ferraro will drop out, because he did look decent, but was unable to score any points at pre-season. Miller got 3 goals and Andersson some assists.

Now, when DeKeyser did got injured, that defence will need a total shakeup and re-thinking.

It looks like that Kronwall-Ericsson is set in stone also in Blashill's minds, so that will be there. Is Quincey the best defensive option to compliment Green? Then it leaves Smith-Kindl to 3rd pair. 7th guy is meaningless, could be Lashoff again. he won't play.

I think you summed it up pretty good. Only thing I don't feel certain about is that both Jurco and Pulkkinen will be in the lineup.

If you were to ask me today I'd say that Ferraro and Pulkkinen are healthy scratches for the first game, Glendening plays with Andersson and Miller, Larkin gets a look in the top9, and Helm is on IR.

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

Abdelkader- Z- Nyquist
?- Richards- Tatar
Franzen- Sheahan- ?

Kronner- E
?- Green
Smith- ?

Joker shouldn't be on the team and you're whining about Lando?

Ebabz

Sep 23, 2015
Abdelkader - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Franzen - Richards - Tatar
Jurco -Sheahan - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro
(Helm, Andersson)
(Datsyuk LTIR)

Kronwall - Smith
DeKeyser - Green
Quincey - Ericsson
Kindl

Mrazek
Howard

If you go to page 2 you'll see a series of threads where we voted this as the starting line up

There is no way Franzen should be on the second line. Between him and Richards they won't have the speed or durability at all. If Franzen is your third line winger it really shows your depth but having him in your second line we won't get far. Time to give the young guys the top 6 minutes they deserve without second guessing it. :handclap:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
nyquist-zetts-abby
franzen(helm)-richards-tatar
jurco(franzen)-sheahan-pulkinnen
miller-glendening-andersson(jurco)
ferraro(waive only once everyone is 100% healthy)
cleary
andersson
datsyuk(LTIR)

kronwall-ericsson
quincey(dekeyser)-green
smith-kindl(quincey)
lashoff(kindl)

that will 100% be the lineup for game one

once healthy the guys in brackets will fill in at those spots

no chance whatsoever we waive anybody right now
larkin
manatha
aa
ouellet
marchenko
sproul
nosek
bertuzzi
miele
russo

all of them will be sent down on tuesday afternoon

Ebabz

Sep 23, 2015
nyquist-zetts-abby
cleary
andersson
datsyuk(LTIR)

kronwall-ericsson
quincey(dekeyser)-green
smith-kindl(quincey)
lashoff(kindl)

larkin
manatha
aa
ouellet
marchenko
sproul
nosek
bertuzzi
miele
russo

I can agree with that. It's going to be scary seeing smith and Q together. It's also disappointing that we can make room for Larkin and X I think both have earned a spot. This all those guys being sent down Grand Rapids is going to be a hell of a team this year.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
All we know is that none of the prospects are making it, no matter how many points they put up or how much praise they got for playing a good complete game.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit's opening night lineup

Gustav Nyquist-Henrik Zetterberg-Justin Abdelkader
Tomas Jurco-Brad Richards-Tomas Tatar
Johan Franzen-Riley Sheahan-Teemu Pulkkinen
Drew Miller-Luke Glendening-Landon Ferraro
Joakim Andersson Dan Cleary

Niklas Kronwall- Jonathan Ericsson
Kyle Quincey- Mike Green
Brendan Smith- Jakub Kindl
Xavier Ouellet

Petr Mrazek
Jimmy Howard

LTIR Pavel Datsyuk
Injuries Dan DeKeyser and Darren Helm

This is what I could potentially see happening opening night depends on the status of Darren Helm. Plus with Blashill putting Glendening on wing it sounds like Andersson will be definitely in the lineup but that would be a mistake and Blashill's part.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
All we know is that none of the prospects are making it, no matter how many points they put up or how much praise they got for playing a good complete game.

Pretty much.

People just refuse to understand our pre-season is NOT A COMPETITION FOR A OPENING NIGHT ROSTER.

Some other organizations it could be, but not at Red Wings. It's a competition for a season callup priority. Larkin and AA are leading that right now.

But the starting roster is already set. It was already set after free agency and contract extensions. Only injuries can change that.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
My choice:
Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist (Gives them a chance to be the go to-guys)
Zetterberg - Richards - Abdelkader (Lets Z handle less minutes)
Jurco - Athanasiou - Pulkkinen (Energy, speed, skill, enthusiasm)
Miller - Glendening - Franzén (Shut down line with some scoring)
(Andersson, Ferraro)
IR: Helm, Datsyuk
Waivers: Cleary, Callahan
Insert Helm when Franzén gets injured.

Bushay

Aug 2, 2009
There is no way Franzen should be on the second line. Between him and Richards they won't have the speed or durability at all. If Franzen is your third line winger it really shows your depth but having him in your second line we won't get far. Time to give the young guys the top 6 minutes they deserve without second guessing it. :handclap:

You obviously didnt get a chance to watch Fridays game vs Toronto. He looked fantastic. Richards and the speed in his game even now, should not be a discussion.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You obviously didnt get a chance to watch Fridays game vs Toronto. He looked fantastic. Richards and the speed in his game even now, should not be a discussion.

Agree with this. Brad has looked as good as Zetterberg at least. And also Franzen looked engaged. Then he skates and when Mule decides to skate, he is fast.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
With the pre saison that Larkin and AA had...they have to be in the opening line-up...

I know there is no room...but they deserv it for few games, they bring skills and energy into your aging line-up

Mr Holland, put someone on waivers, they wont be clamed anyway!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
People just refuse to understand our pre-season is NOT A COMPETITION FOR A OPENING NIGHT ROSTER.

I would rather they just be honest about it. Imagine what you'd feel if your boss promised you a raise if you performed and you performed excellently but then he came back with "sorry, you didn't pay your dues though so no raise." That's like every year with Holland. Not to beat a dead horse, but in no sane person's world did Nyquist not beat out like 3-4 vets in the top9 a couple years ago. But yeah, it's not about earning it.

We should just start being honest and I want Holland to start being honest about it too. It seems like short of playing at a Selke level and potting a hattrick every game, you can't make this squad without a full year in the A.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I would rather they just be honest about it. Imagine what you'd feel if your boss promised you a raise if you performed and you performed excellently but then he came back with "sorry, you didn't pay your dues though so no raise." That's like every year with Holland. Not to beat a dead horse, but in no sane person's world did Nyquist not beat out like 3-4 vets in the top9 a couple years ago. But yeah, it's not about earning it.

We should just start being honest and I want Holland to start being honest about it too. It seems like short of playing at a Selke level and potting a hattrick every game, you can't make this squad without a full year in the A.

He is being honest about it. You just don't like the honesty.

You want him blowing smoke up your ass about bringing up a rookie.

Bushay

Aug 2, 2009

Terrible analogy. Apples and hand grenades. No one promised anyone anything. Too many factors involved to make any sort of promise to any player.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
nyquist-zetts-abby
cleary
andersson
datsyuk(LTIR)

kronwall-ericsson
quincey(dekeyser)-green
smith-kindl(quincey)
lashoff(kindl)

larkin
manatha
aa
ouellet
marchenko
sproul
nosek
bertuzzi
miele
russo

Wouldn't be surprised but I hope you're wrong about Cleary and Andersson. I'd waive both before I waived Ferraro, who actually has speed and offensive ability and shoots right to boot. The other two bring nothing.

And I agree on Lashoff being the 7d until DK is back. People are kidding themselves thinking any of the kids will sit in the press box or get first crack ahead of Smith or Kindl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad