Game Analysis: 2015-16 New York Rangers - 4/26 Breakup day

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Getting rid of AV is probably asking for too much but at least send Arniel packing. I really don't understand how he was hired in the first place.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It wasn't fun because of the mistakes and players not playing the system well. In previous years it has been quite fun.

I have some concerns over AV's coaching but I think we're going to have to wait and see how he does next season. Doubt he'll be fired, but I am interested in if he'll change up his system (maybe no man defense in the defensive zone, it was hard on the team this year and he doesn't really have the personnel anymore) and change up his assistant coaches.

Yes true, I`ve some valid concerns about AV and some of the assistance coaches, but if we can`t find a better solution within the Rangers org. related to our coaching staff.. I just hope they consider all options - so we don`t throw away another year with failure - our core players don`t get any younger. :)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yes true, I`ve some valid concerns about AV and some of the assistance coaches, but if we can`t find a better solution within the Rangers org. related to our coaching staff.. I just hope they consider all options - so we don`t throw away another year with failure - our core players don`t get any younger. :)

Sounds like they're at least thinking of shaking up the coaching staff. I remember Ulf Sammelson was attracting interest around the league a year or two ago, wonder if he still would be. Definitely soured on him this year considering how the defense did but it's hard to tell what he was explicitly responsible for.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Boyle should have played in Toronto or Montreal. Their journalists would have had a field day ripping his play apart.

You've got to be kidding. Montreal reporters are mostly shills for the Habs. There used to be crusty, no-BS types in Montreal back in the 70s, now they're just patsies who don't want to lose their access to the Habs sandwich buffets. I believe NYC has the best in-your-face, tell-it-like-it-is journalists. You don't know how good you have it.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I believe NYC has the best in-your-face, tell-it-like-it-is journalists. You don't know how good you have it.

Not for hockey. Most of our beats are stuck in outdated narratives about toughness and defensive defensemen. And they will not risk their precious access by calling out the biggest problems on this team - Girardi, Glass, and the management that made the wrong decisions.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I kind of compare New Yorkers' views on sports journalism to their views on public transportation.

They hate it until they get away from the city and see what everyone else considers normal.

Then they spend a considerable amount of time talking about how it's done back home.

Actually, that's true for most things --- not just journalism and public transportation.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
I kind of compare New Yorkers' views on sports journalism to their views on public transportation.

They hate it until they get away from the city and see what everyone else considers normal.

Then they spend a considerable amount of time talking about how it's done back home.

Actually, that's true for most things --- not just journalism and public transportation.

NYC is challenging place to live in, but after a week away on business, I can't wait to be back on the crowded subway!

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

Huh? Public transportation? Where have you traveled. Pretty much everywhere in Europe is 3000 times better than the US. Every time i go there and come back I'm even more pissed. Constant delays, horrendous upkeep, trains that are never cleaned, etc.

Bad example. And frankly, a lot of our journalism is awful. The only good thing about it is so many people cover happenings in New York (sports and beyond). That's what I like about it. The Rangers have a million people writing about them where as Columbus might have 2.

This doesn't mean that Larry Brooks is good. Having more coverage and having quality coverage are not the same thing.

As for transportation, you need to travel more.

Nov 5, 2007
Jersey City
Huh? Public transportation? Where have you traveled. Pretty much everywhere in Europe is 3000 times better than the US. Every time i go there and come back I'm even more pissed. Constant delays, horrendous upkeep, trains that are never cleaned, etc.

Even other cities in the US do it hundreds of times better than NYC. However, the MTA isnt even close to the problem that is the PATH.

The system literally has like 12 stations and is still somehow broken constantly, all while costing as much as the MTA subway. What the actual living ****.

The ONLY thing transit systems here have going for it is that they are 24/7.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So a week to 10 days before anything even happens right?

I mean, anything is possible and things can change. But that's the timeframe it looks like we're dealing with.

Gorton/AV/others will meet for probably two or three days, get their plan, and then set things in motion.

But, again, things could happen earlier.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I mean, anything is possible and things can change. But that's the timeframe it looks like we're dealing with.

Gorton/AV/others will meet for probably two or three days, get their plan, and then set things in motion.

They could sign buch this weekend for example

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
sometimes its really unclear what threads get locked, why and when
I had wanted to post this one that was about the Pens series, but all seem locked

that Sheary goal late first, in game 4 last Thursday
it didn't change the outcome, but 3-0 late first is deeper than 2-0

did anyone else think that the way the ref cut between Hank and Sheary was unusual?

https://www.nhl.com/video/shearys-steal-and-snipe/t-280310662/c-43655903

sorry if this was already discussed, when i am at the game, i fall far behind the online chatter

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

For example, AV and Gorton have a huge fight over McIlrath, and AV is fired? :laugh:

:popcorn:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So a week to 10 days before anything even happens right?

probably closer to 2 months...technically we are allowed to make moves now, but typically you don't start seeing moves being made until right before the draft.

we might start hearing rumors and info about the 'plan' but i wouldn't expect any significant moves till june.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
sometimes its really unclear what threads get locked, why and when
I had wanted to post this one that was about the Pens series, but all seem locked

that Sheary goal late first, in game 4 last Thursday
it didn't change the outcome, but 3-0 late first is deeper than 2-0

did anyone else think that the way the ref cut between Hank and Sheary was unusual?

https://www.nhl.com/video/shearys-steal-and-snipe/t-280310662/c-43655903

sorry if this was already discussed, when i am at the game, i fall far behind the online chatter

Not the weirdest thing. Refs really have to find better ways to stay out of plays though. Feels like it happens more and more every year that refs interfere with a play and just don't know where to go to begin with.

Also OT from the video, but am I the only one who thinks refs should pick up broken stick debris? I mean there's enough of them on the ice, one of them can't get the **** out of the defensive zone while the play is up ice or something? I remember a few games where refs were skating around with shafts or blades and whatever, but it just seems so stupid to have to play around stray equipment on a playing field.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Bad example. And frankly, a lot of our journalism is awful. The only good thing about it is so many people cover happenings in New York (sports and beyond). That's what I like about it. The Rangers have a million people writing about them where as Columbus might have 2.

This doesn't mean that Larry Brooks is good. Having more coverage and having quality coverage are not the same thing.

As for transportation, you need to travel more.

I've traveld all over the world for the better part of 20 years in my career. I think I've got the traveling thing down, but thanks for the suggestion.

While I'm not terribly interested in debating transportation with you, and I'm sure the Mods aren't interested in this thread turning in that direction, I will respectfully disagree with you.

While all transportations systems have at least one thing they do better than NYC's, New York's system has other advantages, namely it's ability to get you close to your destinations (not a given in some of the much heralded European systems to which you refer), as well as the cost, frequency and hours of operation. Far from perfect, it's not nearly as bad as most New Yorkers make it out to be. I'll send you a post card next time I travel. :naughty:

As for journalism, again, I'll disagree. I don't particularly like Brooks, and I have my disagreements with this approach, but his coverage is in the upper echelon as far as reporters go. Especially in hockey.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
https://soundcloud.com/sportstalkny

Dan Boyle speaks about breakup day around the 19 minute mark

Said he did not like things said about him but was also standing up for his teammates that could not speak for themselves. Said he did not plan to go off. Said he should have done it in private. Said he apologizes to the other media there but not to Brooks. Said his phone was overwhelmed with positive texts and thanks. Said the constant negativity breaks in to the locker room. Said it did not bother him but other guys on the team were definitely effected. Said plenty of media were negative in his last 18 years but he never went off on anyone but Brooks. Said his issues with Brooks were personal. Said once again it was not just about him, but standing up for his teammates that going forward will still have to deal with him (Brooks). Said guys in locker room , this team is a great group of guys. He was absolutely proud and honored to be with them.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I wouldn't be surprised if the thing that set Boyle off was after all of the trashing they did to him personally for the last two years, then the Post ran headlines and cover stories trashing Lundqvist. In that clip Boyle mentions his teammates, it wouldn't surprise me if that set him over the edge.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if the thing that set Boyle off was after all of the trashing they did to him personally for the last two years, then the Post ran headlines and cover stories trashing Lundqvist. In that clip Boyle mentions his teammates, it wouldn't surprise me if that set him over the edge.

Brooks has such a long history as a muckraking troll that it could be dozens and dozens of reasons. What I found interesting is when Boyle spoke about how the negativity effects some of the players in the locker room. I'm wondering which players personalities were effected by the negativity most.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Brooks has such a long history as a muckraking troll that it could be dozens and dozens of reasons. What I found interesting is when Boyle spoke about how the negativity effects some of the players in the locker room. I'm wondering which players personalities were effected by the negativity most.

just a guess, but probably the guys that put on the crappiest performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad