Speculation: 2015-16 7th Player Winner

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I think these are all good choices...

Trotman has first crack at a top4 spot and if he can hold onto it, it'll be because he's handling the minutes.

Krug should see his role expanded this year, that could lead to bigger and better things.

Connolly's never seen more than 10 or 12 minutes in the NHL and should get at least 15 this year with good players. It could be the former 6th overall's breakout season.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Remember, you have to look at this through the eyes of a 15 year-old girl; they're the ones who actually bother to text in.

I'm thinking Hayes, because of the "Dawchestah boy" narrative...except that he's been in the league for a couple of years. Since the lockout, here's the list:

05-06: Tim Thomas. First NHL year as a regular.
06-07: Tim Thomas. See above.
07-08: Milan Lucic. First NHL year.
08-09: David Krejci. Second real NHL year - split the last year in the AHL, and played 4 games the year before.
09-10: Tuukka Rask. First full NHL year as a backup, but really split the season with Thomas.
10-11: Brad Marchand. First year in the NHL.
11-12: Tyler Seguin. Second year in the NHL.
12-13: Dougie Hamilton. First year in the NHL.
13-14: Reilly Smith. Split NHL/AHL last year in Dallas. First year without AHL.
14-15: David Pastrnak. First year in NHL

Seems like there's a HEAVY bias towards rookies and/or second years. The exceptions were Tim Thomas' second year, Krejci, and Seguin - but both Krejci and Seguin were paired in their rookie years with another outstanding candidate (Lucic and Marchand, respectively.)

So, maybe not Hayes. There's also a bias against players who played in the NHL elsewhere - Smith is the closest exception. That would also heavily go against Beleskey - also the fact that expectations for Beleskey are high, so it's tough to go "above" them.

Spooner's not following a pattern either, since he's dipped in and out of the NHL the past two years.

Now that I think about it, it may be "none of the above". There could be some rookie I'm not aware of who just breaks out during camp this year, makes the team, and shines. Y'know, kind of like Pastrnak did. If that doesn't happen, and if Pasta has yet another great year, the default may be to give it to him again.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Can a player win this award if we go into the season expecting him to? Isn't he then just meeting our expectations???

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Now that I think about this, I'm gonna throw a curveball.

Could Kemppainen be a big surprise? On the surface, he's basically what Soderberg was a couple of years ago - older Euro finally crossing the Atlantic and coming right into the NHL at the age of around 27. I could be wrong, but common wisdom has him being on our Shiraz line (or perhaps in the press box). If there are injuries (and please let there be no injuries), or if he winds up somehow moving up from fourth to the third or second line, and he starts producing really well, then he'd tick off quite a few of the "above and beyond expectations" boxes.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I said Hayes. Little more of a unknown. Hoping he gets a lot done in front...Bruins seem to be looking for that for a while. Local kid, couldn't hurt.

The other guys are "knowns." Don't think Pasta will have the Seguin effect. I think everyone is looking for a lot from Spooner/Pasta.

How about Rinaldo? ;)

We can all dream. Think positive.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'm quietly confident in Spooner. He finally showed that he's an NHL ready player. Extra confidence will strive him to work hard to round out his game this summer. With ample PP opportunities, I can see him scoring 15g 35a.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Connolly and Hayes seem like the logical choices. I don't know if defensemen are considered for the award, if so my darkhorse vote goes to Morrow.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The 7th player award goes to the player that plays beyond expectations. I would say expectations are high for Pastrnak,Spooner or Krug as some have mentioned. Don't see how they can even be considered.

I'm going with C.Miller or Subban.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Connolly for sure. He's going to get a prime opportunity in a scoring role. The whole thing will just be about him staying healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad