Post-Game Talk: 2015/12/21: Hat Trick Toronto 7 Colorado 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I disagree. He wasn't good tonight.

Reimer would have let in 1 or 2 IMO.

I think Reimer would have let in more goals than Bernier today. Bernier wasn't as great as he was on Saturday. But to say Reimer would have only given up 1 or 2 is kind of rash, especially considering the number of quality chances Colorado had.

Fans should not be riding Bernier on this one at all. Let the goalie coach handle the couple of mistakes he may need to tune up for tomorrow. But like I said, sometimes you just can't please everyone (not necessarily you, but in general). Just be happy he made the saves he did, because if it wasn't for Bernier, it could have been a whole lot worse.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd probably shake up the lines a little bit:

Lupul - Kadri - Komorov
JVR - Bozak - Parenteau
Matthias - Holland - Winnik
Grabner - Froese/Spaling - Boyes

Even though we scored a lot of goals... it was only that second line (Bozak and JVR) that got goals. The other 3 goals were Komorov, Lupul, and Kadri. That top line didn't do anything with Grabner on it. So it was really only 1 of our 4 lines that clicked 5 on 5. The other 3 goals were all PP goals with scrambled lines (where Kadri and Komorov got to play with Lupul and Holland).

I would keep the lines for at least one more game. Grabner compliments Kadri and Komarov well, and while having Lupul on the 3rd line lowers his points totals, he does play a solid all around game there and keeps the pressure for the entire game.

Maybe once Spaling comes back you can juggle the lines up a little bit since Holland has to go back to the LW.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
I think Reimer would have let in more goals than Bernier today. Bernier wasn't as great as he was on Saturday. But to say Reimer would have only given up 1 or 2 is kind of rash, especially considering the number of quality chances Colorado had.

Fans should not be riding Bernier on this one at all. Let the goalie coach handle the couple of mistakes he may need to tune up for tomorrow. But like I said, sometimes you just can't please everyone (not necessarily you, but in general). Just be happy he made the saves he did, because if it wasn't for Bernier, it could have been a whole lot worse.

Considering Reimer is injured i'd say its fair that he would have let in 5 or more.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Played goal for 20 years, coached by Steve McKichan. I'd say those criticisms are accurate.

I don't think anyone is saying he played bad. Just ok. As I said earlier, he had opportunities to push across hard and set himself up for a chance to make a great save. He just didn't give himself that chance.

Again, as I said on the first goal, he had his outside leg up in a great spot to push across hard in his butterfly to give himself a good chance to make that save. He didn't do that.

Same with the Mitchell goal. He could have followed the puck across, but he seems to have an issue with his lateral movement when he hits his knees or the puck gets in tight.

That's what I saw as constructive criticisms. There's a big difference between that and hate. Not saying he would have stopped them, but he had chances to put himself in better positions to have a chance to make the save. He didn't give himself a hope in the world.

It's nice to get the win. But your team is not always gonna spot you 5 goals. You have to find a way to stop at least two of those. You let in two, you've given your team a chance to win every single night.

LOL.....

Well MR goalie what happen on the 3rd goal? You blamed him when Dion screened him when no one was near Net front....he had no chance on the goal. 4th goal was a breakaway and the 1st goal was a no chance as he was doing as he should protecting the short side and was screened and despite what you believe did push off with a hard push...man did you even watch the goals again before you post?

First goal Dion was sucking exhaust chasing a player behind the net and left the net from man wide open. Then Holland did not read no net front coverage and did not get there in time. No fault at all on Bernier....

Dion directly was at fault for 3 goals....Bernier misread the 2nd goal and that one was on him.

At a bear minimum if you are going to hold yourself out as some sort of expert....understand what you are commenting on is a minimum expectation....watch replays and you get a better perspective.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
It feels like that time period a few years ago where reimer got injured.

Gustavvson had a solid dec-jan stretch and was picked apart each game over here by cult reimer.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
LOL.....

Well MR goalie what happen on the 3rd goal? You blamed him when Dion screened him when no one was near Net front....he had no chance on the goal. 4th goal was a breakaway and the 1st goal was a no chance as he was doing as he should protecting the short side and was screened and despite what you believe did push off with a hard push...man did you even watch the goals again before you post?

First goal Dion was sucking exhaust chasing a player behind the net and left the net from man wide open. Then Holland did not read no net front coverage and did not get there in time. No fault at all on Bernier....

Dion directly was at fault for 3 goals....Bernier misread the 2nd goal and that one was on him.

At a bear minimum if you are going to hold yourself out as some sort of expert....understand what you are commenting on is a minimum expectation....watch replays and you get a better perspective.

I didn't see the 3rd goal. So I won't comment. I didn't like his effort on the two goals I described.

The 1st goal he had his outside leg up as the shot came in. He had good positioning for a good push over in his butterfly to have a chance to make the save. I never said he was going to make the save. I said he'd give himself a better chance to make the saves. Which I think is a fair criticism. He had chances on those two goals (the first and mitchell's) to put himself in a better position to make the save on a 2nd effort. He didn't. They would have been excellent saves if he did. But those are the saves he is going to have to make to be a consistent #1 netminder.

I understand what I'm commenting on. I watched those goals and the replays. All I am doing is commenting on two goals - TWO - that he could have made improvements on and possibly stopped. That is it. Constructive criticism. Also I never once blamed him for the goals. But that would mean you would have had to have read my posts.

I watched the plays. No need for the snarky name calling. Grow up.

Last edited:

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Bernier shuts out the Kings , keeps them in this game with some very timely saves and gets the win, yet some idiots have to **** on him. It's hard to beleive their Leaf fans.

It's December 22 and has 2 wins, one being tonight's ... and he was only just fine tonight. I don't feel any more confident in him today than I did when he went on his conditioning stint.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think it's sad that even in a game where we:

1) Win
2) Continue our absurd PP run against Avs
3) Had Leo with a great night
4) Got a hattrick from Bozak
5) Saw Gardiner double his career best point performance with 4 assists

You still have the whole thread about a witchhunt (and defense) of the current scapegoat on the team.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think it's sad that even in a game where we:

1) Win
2) Continue our absurd PP run against Avs
3) Had Leo with a great night
4) Got a hattrick from Bozak
5) Saw Gardiner double his career best point performance with 4 assists

You still have the whole thread about a witchhunt (and defense) of the current scapegoat on the team.
Welcome to hfboards. God help us if this team keeps winning, it'll only get worse.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
While it isn't good for the Leafs in a drafting sense there would be some smug satisfaction for me if the Leafs managed to climb above the Pens in the standings.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

Last time Reims played the Avs he beat them 5-1 stopping 34 of 35 shots for a .971 save percentage. PLUS the Avs had their better goalie in net.

I give credit where it's due. Bernier played ok. He let in 4 goals and was lucky we scored more than 4 goals. He played much better in his loss vs San Jose than he did against the Avs. He is in a much better place now, but that 3rd period was concerning.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I didn't see the 3rd goal. So I won't comment. I didn't like his effort on the two goals I described.

The 1st goal he had his outside leg up as the shot came in. He had good positioning for a good push over in his butterfly to have a chance to make the save. I never said he was going to make the save. I said he'd give himself a better chance to make the saves. Which I think is a fair criticism. He had chances on those two goals (the first and mitchell's) to put himself in a better position to make the save on a 2nd effort. He didn't. They would have been excellent saves if he did. But those are the saves he is going to have to make to be a consistent #1 netminder.

I understand what I'm commenting on. I watched those goals and the replays. All I am doing is commenting on two goals - TWO - that he could have made improvements on and possibly stopped. That is it. Constructive criticism. Also I never once blamed him for the goals. But that would mean you would have had to have read my posts.

I watched the plays. No need for the snarky name calling. Grow up.

If calling you Mr Goalie a position you claimed that you have played for over 20 years is name calling then I'm guilty.

The first goal he played perfect or have you not heard what Babcock has stated over and over and what most coaches tell their goalies....your job is to stop the shooter....the Defense is to take care of the Pass. His effort was fine and he did have a second effort...watch that goal again on NHL.com and see for yourself.

The second goal he guessed wrong and he misplayed that....all his fault. I have assigned blame for the other 3 goals and none were his fault.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If calling you Mr Goalie a position you claimed that you have played for over 20 years is name calling then I'm guilty.

The first goal he played perfect or have you not heard what Babcock has stated over and over and what most coaches tell their goalies....your job is to stop the shooter....the Defense is to take care of the Pass. His effort was fine and he did have a second effort...watch that goal again on NHL.com and see for yourself.

The second goal he guessed wrong and he misplayed that....all his fault. I have assigned blame for the other 3 goals and none were his fault.
:laugh: well there you have it folks, debate over. Diceman has assigned blame for all of the goals, no further discussion is necessary.

Dion, please step forward for your lashings.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

Once again you fail to read that I didn't blame Bernier fo the goals. I said he could have done what I said to put himself in better position to give himself a chance to make the saves. You continue to ignore this.

That's fine a goalie needs to take the shooter. But sometimes your idiot dman isn't there for you and you have to scramble and cover for him. I've explained my position on both goals while not blaming Bernier stating what he could have done differently to give himself a chance.

What you keep reading this as for some reason is me blaming Bernier, which is not the case. I don't understand why you keep arguing something that isn't there.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
That was a typical win last season. Babcock likes to win, but I bet he goes over some tape and asks why there was so many blown coverages. It's ok to critique a win when you preach that you need to "do it the right way" every game.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
:laugh: well there you have it folks, debate over. Diceman has assigned blame for all of the goals, no further discussion is necessary.

Dion, please step forward for your lashings.

Shocking that he found Dion responsible. :laugh:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Once again you fail to read that I didn't blame Bernier fo the goals. I said he could have done what I said to put himself in better position to give himself a chance to make the saves. You continue to ignore this.

That's fine a goalie needs to take the shooter. But sometimes your idiot dman isn't there for you and you have to scramble and cover for him. I've explained my position on both goals while not blaming Bernier stating what he could have done differently to give himself a chance.

What you keep reading this as for some reason is me blaming Bernier, which is not the case. I don't understand why you keep arguing something that isn't there.

When you stating that he did not put in a second effort according to you is what then if not blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad