WC: 2015 — Team Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Out of curiosity, I just had a look at what Zaugg wrote about this WC. That's pure madness, so hilarious and sad at the same time. The only thing I don't understand is that some people actually believe what he has to say.
I was just raging about Rotaris being paid handsomely for solely stating the obvious :laugh:

Didn't know Zaugg still has a job. But i guess he's good for generating clicks for a while.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Solid game tonight, I liked the defensive play, PK and goaltending. Even the PP showed some improvement. On the bad side, I didn't like how they were under pressure for most of the third period without getting much control of the puck.

And I keep wondering who's that guy the put into Helbling's helmet!

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Hanlon said he doesnt know who ll be the goalie for thursday. I dont know if its intox. If Genoni is not the starter, he could easily be mad. And i would understand this 100%.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I don't think Genoni is in a position to complain. He probably wouldn't be on our olympic roster. He should just shut up and play.

Also, I don't like games like yesterday. It's pointless to compete that hard when you are already qualified for the QF. Try to get a good feeling but save some energy please.

Nice to see Fiala get his first goal finally.

And can someone tell my why many of our forwards lose every single bit of creativity and game breaking ability as soon as they're on the NT? Is it simply the level of competition? Other countries forwards can still make plays...

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
And can someone tell my why many of our forwards lose every single bit of creativity and game breaking ability as soon as they're on the NT? Is it simply the level of competition? Other countries forwards can still make plays...

The level of play is much higher in international hockey, you don't score against the Czech national team as easily as against Rapperswil on a Tuesday night in October. Guys who can score at a decent pace in the NLA like Trachsler or Bieber are reduced to a purely defensive role at this level, while good NLA scorer who don't have enough skating ability or physical play can become completely useless (that's why Sprunger never worked out for the national team).

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I don't think Genoni is in a position to complain. He probably wouldn't be on our olympic roster. He should just shut up and play.

screenshot_297.png

seriously?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

seriously?

So let's check the games in which each one played :

Berra played Austria 3-4 loss 25 shots faced.
Genoni played France 3-1 win 20 shots.
Genoni played Germany 1-0 win 18 shots.
Berra played Latvia 1-2 loss 21 shots.
Genoni played Sweden 1-2 loss 29 shots
Berra played Canada 2-7 loss 23 shots
Berra played the Czechs 1-2 loss 26 shots

Taking into account the stats you showed ... you have a serious point.
The big difference is that Berra was involved in both high scored games (Austria 4 and Canada 7) And maybe Genoni kept the score low in some games.

I didn't realize that Berra had so bad stats.
We can remove the Canada game ... and not that Genoni played well vs the Swedes .. but overall stats remain stats, meaning a truth that has to be interpreted.
From my armchair (office chair actually) i would have preferred to go with Berra, but in light of the above, Genoni deserves more consideration ... you convinced me.

Last edited:

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Yes I am serious. I am aware of Genonis stats and he played well. Berra carried Switzerland to silver, Genoni didn't. Genoni is pretty unproven on the international level, partly because he hasn't been considered in the past for reasons. One good tournament shouldn't make him believe he has anything to complain about. That's all I'm saying.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
You can make a case for both goalies. Genoni has the best stats and played in both wins, but he benefited from a great defensive effort against Germany while Berra had the opposite against the best offense in the tournament. If you take the games against Sweden and the Czech Republic, probably the teams that are the closest to the US in term of level of play, I liked Berra's performance better. He couldn't have done anything more, except maybe on Vondrka's shootout attempt, while Genoni was saved by the post three times against Sweden, including one where he dropped an easy shot.

As Hanlon is a former goalie, I trust he will make the right choice. And I also trust that whatever that choice is, someone will be happy to write it's the wrong one.

swisdan

Feb 18, 2005
earth
qube.cpacon.com
Perhaps you forget a bit the moment shape. This Genoni is very different than the one from last year. I have great confidence and very good number. Being at his place, i would be pissed if i wouldnt play the last 3 games. Just my opinion.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
So let's check the games in which each one played :

Berra played Austria 3-4 loss 25 shots faced.
Genoni played France 3-1 win 20 shots.
Genoni played Germany 1-0 win 18 shots.
Berra played Latvia 1-2 loss 21 shots.
Genoni played Sweden 1-2 loss 29 shots
Berra played Canada 2-7 loss 23 shots
Berra played the Czechs 1-2 loss 26 shots

Taking into account the stats you showed ... you have a serious point.
The big difference is that Berra was involved in both high scored games (Austria 4 and Canada 7) And maybe Genoni kept the score low in some games.

I didn't realize that Berra had so bad stats.
We can remove the Canada game ... and not that Genoni played well vs the Swedes .. but overall stats remain stats, meaning a truth that has to be interpreted.
From my armchair (office chair actually) i would have preferred to go with Berra, but in light of the above, Genoni deserves more consideration ... you convinced me.
Genoni was fine in the Sweden game. Not outstanding, but he kept our team in the game and gave them a chance to win.

And yes, I'd scratch that Canada game as well as Genoni probably wouldn't have played better. Our team simply was outclassed in that game. But even with that game taken out, Genoni still can back up his claims with superior numbers. Hell, he's currently leading the tournament in both sv% and GAA.
Yes I am serious. I am aware of Genonis stats and he played well. Berra carried Switzerland to silver, Genoni didn't. Genoni is pretty unproven on the international level, partly because he hasn't been considered in the past for reasons. One good tournament shouldn't make him believe he has anything to complain about. That's all I'm saying.

Berra played 4 games during that run. 4 excellent games, no doubt, but calling that "carrying Switzerland to silver" is a massive stretch. And you know what? Berra has also single-handedly cost us games in the past. Multiple times. If he has proven anything, it's that he's incredibly inconsistent. His tenure in the NHL in which he wildly switches between being the laughingstock of the league and being an okay backup confirms that. And so far in this tournament he's not looking like your silver medal boy. Far from it. While he hasn't been as terrible as the numbers suggest, he also didn't steal games. And I'll be honest, if Berra doesn't steal a game there's a large chance that he'll sink the ship with a softie or two.

Yes, Genoni didn't get much consideration the last few years. Rightfully so, as he simply wasn't good enough.
Now, with a very good regular season and fantastic playoff showings in his backpack, he's flat out outplaying Berra so far in this tournament. The numbers and the results back it up. If I was him, I'd be aggravated and disappointed if he really has to back up the next game, especially if Berra keeps his current play up and shines with another sub 0.90svs performance.

Yes, Berra was the starter going into this tournament. There's no doubt about that. But instead of living in the past and mourning after the glorious silver medal run (Followed by barely avoiding relegation with Berra playing nearly all the games and admittedly Genoni ******** the bed as well) we should live in the now and do what's best for the team in this very moment. And at the moment, Genoni is the hot hand.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Well, I'll just trust Hanlon with this. As stv11 pointed out, he's a former goalie.

But I don't have a good feeling about it.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
We'll see how it plays out. If I remember correctly, Berra played against the US in 2013 as well. Hopefully he can benefit from that. Looking forward to see Eichel play. If the hype is true he should be the best player on the ice. I'm sceptical.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
If Hanlon is playing Berra, (which he is ... we know it now), it means that he believe that the odds are against the Swiss team, therefore he goes with the high risk, high return guy... Berra.

But it seems that Genoni is the low risk high return guy so far.

++

Genoni didn't play because of Gerber, Hiller and Berra.
Genoni grew, Hiller is busy (or was at least), Gerber ... well is getting old, and Berra, like many Swiss, is not playing well since he is in NA.

So Hanlon . !!! what are you doing !!
He is playing the old risk/return based on old stats.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I hope this won't come back to bite us in the a$$. I would have played Genoni, who I think is the goalie in the best form of the possible two. Sometimes one needs to be a bit daring...

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I would have played Genoni as well. Between a talented goalie and a reliable one, I would always go for the second.
But every choice is somehow understandable, i guess.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
How can you choose the inferior goalie for what might very well be the last game?

Its not that Berra is bad, he certainly has the talent to steal the game and played well in previous years. But Genoni is just better now, and thats what counts.

My feelings that Hanlon is the wrong guy for this job gets stronger with every game.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Well, that's all she wrote boys.

Berra played ok, he wasn't why we lost the game. We should have had that crucial 2nd goal when we were playing better than them (till half game).
On a plus note, Josi is stellar and I look forward to seeing him play many more WM and OG...

As for the USA, if they don't turn up the intensity a few notches, they will lose the semifinals. I hope for them this will be a wake up call.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The goalie decision didn't turn out too bad, but what a disappointing game. 30 minutes played perfectly before some stupidly blown coverage by Loeffel and Bieber, who already screwed up once against Latvia. Too bad, you won't get such a quarterfinal opponent too often after finishing fourth in the pool.

I don't know what to think about this tournament. Goal reached, but very inconsistent play and disappointing ending, not unlike 2011 and 2014. On the plus side, solid defensive play despite so many defensemen declining and two top four injured during the tournament. On the minus side, the terrible shooting percentage. It was obvious from the start that having two offensive lines would be difficult, and things didn't improve with the absence of Moser and :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, and Martschini and Bertschy not working out. Add those late season injuries to Brunner, Romy and Suri and the odds looked even worse, but there's no excuse for scoring on 6% of your shots. I thought Hanlon could be the right balance between Krüger's defensive consistency and Simpson's fast skating offense, but it didn't happen. Whether it's on Hanlon or on the lack of offensive players available, I'm not sure.

Hopefully next season we can have a team with a bit more offensive creativity. With Brunner having a normal season, Martschini going further in this development, Bärtschi no longer eligible to be sent down and maybe more favorable NHL results, the team could have a different face.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Is anyone else annoyed by the comments of Raeto Raffainer? You can read them in several Swiss newspapers, doesn't matter where.

I find them to be too mild. It seems he doesn't like the critic and tries to depicit the things better than they were.

You cannot be happy with this world cup, even if we made it to the QF.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
And so Hanlon's gone, strange time for such a decision.

Hollenstein is taking over for the moment. Maybe he's also the definitive solution, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad