WC: 2015 — Team Canada II

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
Although the entire team played amazingly, Brent Burns, Tyler Seguin and Ryan O'Reilly were 3 players I think showed that they are capable of playing with the best, and possibly on the Olympic team in 2018.

FanHabtic*

Although the entire team played amazingly, Brent Burns, Tyler Seguin and Ryan O'Reilly were 3 players I think showed that they are capable of playing with the best, and possibly on the Olympic team in 2018.

I have to add Tyler Ennis in there as well. He was dominant every shift he played today.

FanHabtic*

That's the thing, you can only choose so many players, and Ennis just isn't one of mine despite his play at this tournament.

Sometimes there are players who are dominant on bigger ice. Ennis is one of those. He's a good productive NHL player, but not a real All-Star quality player. Put him on big ice and he is All-Star calibre and very versatile.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The impressive thing about this team is that there were no passengers.

Ennis, Couturier, Eakin, Toffoli, Schenn, Weircioch, Savard. They weren't here just for the experience - they contributed to the wins.

FanHabtic*

The impressive thing about this team is that there were no passengers.

Ennis, Couturier, Eakin, Toffoli, Schenn, Weircioch, Savard. They weren't here just for the experience - they contributed to the wins.

Schenn was a passenger. They should take his gold away and give it to Kovalchuk, so that Kovy can understand what the heart of a champion feels like. ;)

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Crosby hopefully returns next year so we can see Crosby-McDavid.

Such a shame that McDavid was eliminated at the worst time.

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
Sometimes there are players who are dominant on bigger ice. Ennis is one of those. He's a good productive NHL player, but not a real All-Star quality player. Put him on big ice and he is All-Star calibre and very versatile.

I would love to see your 2018 roster if you don't mind?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Crosby hopefully returns next year so we can see Crosby-McDavid.

Such a shame that McDavid was eliminated at the worst time.

McDavid wanted to finish school anyway and I don't think he should've made this team even if he did want to go.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Was great to see Spezza smiling when he got named best forward. Well deserved. Looked like he did the TM Spezza laugh when he they announced it.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Good tournament for Canada. They played with a style reminiscent of the 2014 Olympic team and the 2015 WJC team - disciplined and puck possession based. Canada can still play a gritty style, but going out of your way to be physical just isn't going to work anymore. This team really came together well and, for the first time since the 2006 WJC in my opinion, played above their talent level. The thing that stood out most is the speed with which they played. The breakouts were tremendous, and their pursuit was thorough. I also liked that for the most part they didn't take their foot off the pedal.

The most important thing though is that the players performed well this time. It's nice to win, but seeing good players with potential to play for Canada at bigger tournaments succeed is more important. I'm happy with the performances from every player. Some thoughts:

Smith - Much maligned, but he did a more than adequate job. Good for him to show up too, given that he's already won an Olympic gold medal. Smith should lobby the NHL to get rid of the trapezoid, as his ability to play the cup was reminiscent of the best of Brodeur.

Jones - Looked solid from what I saw. Good experience for him.

Burns - Great performance. In my opinion, he was Canada's best player and was the deserved tournament MVP. Carried the Canadian defence, contributing offensively but even more importantly shut everyone down. Burns was named the best defenceman of the tournament in 2008, and then gave two uneven performances in 2010 and 2011. With his versatility, he has to get at least some consideration for Canadian teams at the top level. Odds would be better if he was left handed. Great performance by Burns.

Hamhuis - Solid as always. Credit to Hamhuis for showing up for Canada once again. He doesn't get enough credit for being the defence version of Smyth.

Barrie - Great mobility and solid positioning. If he continues to grow his game he could be a contributor for Canada at a higher level. His style suits the style that Canada seems to be leaning toward.

Ekblad - Good first showing. Hid a little more by McLellan as the tournament went on, but that isn't embarrassing for a teenager. If he gets a little faster he could be a monster for Canada. One thing that sticks with me is his post game interview. He talked about how happy he was to win, how he loves this team and loves his country. Now that sounds like a guy who should be the key defenceman on the Young Gunz team.

Muzzin - I've been critical of Muzzin in the past, but I was wrong. He is not a product of Doughty. Good size and mobility, and a very strong tournament. Credit to Muzzin for sure.

Savard - Good, solid performance.

Wiercioch - Good job moving the puck, contributed when called upon.

Giroux - For my money, Giroux actually was Canada's best forward. When the games became more important, he and Crosby emerged and carried the play. He demonstrated that he is actually a great fit with how Canada played at the 2014 Olympics, and Canada pretty much has to make room for him in any team in the next little while. Credit to Giroux for showing up after being the highest profile snub in 2014. Let's also bury the rumours of the Crosby - Giroux team Canada feud.

Crosby - Quietly effective. Crosby isn't the skater he once was, but no one processes hockey faster than he does. Exuded confidence in his decision making and set the tone with his two way play. People may make light of his "modest" point totals, but Crosby was consistent in every zone and emerged in the later games. Good for him to show up to this tournament given that he is already a lock for Canada at any tournament he wants. I hope he proves an example for other big Canadian players.

Seguin - I think his ankle isn't fully healed, but he still performed quite well. In particular, I liked his defensive work in the final game. Proved that he can be an effective finisher on the wing, which is basically all I wanted to know about him with regard to international play. Has to be a lock for Canada at this point.

Hall - Big tournament for Hall. I've been a supporter in the past, and I hope that this performance shuts up those who made it out like Hall was going to be so terrible defensively that Canada would give up a goal every time he touched the ice. Great speed, and played the gritty role in the corners and in front of the net that Canada requires from someone with his skill set. Should be right in the mix for LW spots on Canada going forward.

Eberle - Always performs for Canada, and he did it again. Eberle will never be a bad option for Canada.

O'Reilly - One of my favourite NHLers, and I think he was easily one of Canada's most valuable forwards. Great defensively and positionally. The way he steals the puck and pressures the opposition is among the very best in the world. Canada correctly takes utility players for best on best competitions - players who can kill penalties and contribute on a line without the puck on their stick. O'Reilly moved up the lineup and proved that he can definitely be one of those players. Think Richards, Morrow, Marleau, Carter, Sharp, Bergeron from recent Olympic tournaments.

Spezza - I'm glad that Spezza was finally rewarded for his contributions to Hockey Canada. He has never been selected to actually play in the Olympics (arguably a big snub in 2010) and is too old now, but he's shown up for Canada numerous times, even being told that they basically didn't want him a few years ago. I was glad when Crosby gave the trophy to Spezza. It's hard to find a player so great who had won no gold with Canada. Great on him to show up once again. Good example for the younger players.

MacKinnon - Somewhat quiet tournament, but I have to remind myself that he's still only 19. Good showing for MacKinnon, who I suspect is not fully healed from his injuries. His speed (along with Seguin, Hall, Duchene and company) was essential for Canada's high pressure strategy. We will see him representing Canada on a bigger stage.

Duchene - Duchene is a good, loyal soldier for Hockey Canada. His speed is clearly his best asset, but I like the attitude he brings. He lit up the weak teams early on, and then by all accounts remained positive even when Canada moved him down the lineup in order to give bigger responsibility to Crosby and Giroux. I consider him a lock for Canada during the next Olympic cycle because of his speed, positional versatility and attitude.

Couturier - I've been a fan for a while, but I was still surprised by how effective he was. Really was one of Canada's key forwards, and looked great defensively. It's actually funny to watch him just casually skating around snuffing out the other team's offence. I don't know if he'll ever make a top level edition of team Canada, but if Toews and Bergeron were both injured I would feel comfortable with Couturier in a fourth line, defensive role.

Ennis - A few Buffalo fans said they expected Ennis to perform very well on the big ice with elite teammates, and they were right. Fast and creative, and his size is clearly much less an issue internationally. Underrated performer for Canada, just as he was on the 2009 WJC team.

Toffoli - Solid contributor in a limited role. Too bad he didn't get to play in the 2011 WJC.

Eakin - I thought of him as a concession made to the team's GM, but Eakin more than earned his keep. Almost an ideal fourth liner for this tournament, he skates really well and was very well suited to his role. Pressured the opposition all over the ice and left nothing to be desires with his play. Another underrated part of the team.

Schenn - Seemingly had a good attitude about his role on the team. Good on him for showing up and then not complaining when his spot was given away.

Johansen and Couture - Too big for this team apparently. In my mind anyway, they've been passed by numerous players when it comes to making team Canada in the future.

Overall a good job by all involved. Very informative.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Also think that Hall, Seguin, Ekblad and maybe Eberle have all punched their ticket to the Olympic team.

Hopefully Spezza as well. After this performance he needs to be a shoe in. It's the least they can do to make up for the snubs.

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
Here's just a quick roster ( in no order). Such a debate could be had with his so many good experienced players but so many good playing coming up too.

Hall Crosby Stamkos
Giroux Toews Tavares
Seguin Benn Duchene
Perry Getzlaf Bergeron
O'Reilly Mackinnon

DOUGHTY WEBER
KEITH VLASIC
BOUWMEASTER PIETRANGELO
SUBBAN BURNS

Price
Bernier
Smith

McDavid Couture Johansen Nash Ennis Carter Eberle

EKBLAD HAMHUIS LETANG GIORDANO

So tough to pick and see what can happen in the time span leading up. Will HC go younger, older or mix it up?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Some guys who gave a good impression on the big ice for a World Cup/Olympic spot are Hall, Seguin, Giroux, Muzzin, Burns, Eberle, O'Reilly.

Hall/Eberle - I didn't know what to expect from these two guys because of the big ice and playing in Edmonton but Hall and Eberle were great for Crosby. It's always been hard to play with Crosby but Hall and Eberle were excellent, they're skilled, smart, and can skate. They know where to be in the offensive zone, find the soft spots and just dominated as a line together. I think Hall with Crosby at the Olympics looks great. Eberle is a little bit of a question with me, Bergeron was fine at RW and I think he brings reliable defence and more speed.

Seguin/Giroux - Both have been solid. Seguin started out slow but it seems like he was cursed missing open nets. Giroux was fast, making great passes, and just looked better, quicker on big ice. I really like Giroux and think he can be a good centre for an Olympic team along with Getzlaf/Toews/Crosby because of his defence as well.

Muzzin/Burns - Solid. These 2 have been a rock back there along with Hamhuis. Muzzin and Burns were physical, attacked in the offensive zone. The play Muzzin made on the Ennis goal is just excellent. They skated well, rubbed out forwards, made great first passes. It's hard to beat out the RHD depth for Burns but the LHD for Muzzin, he might just get a spot instead of a guy like Bouwmeester IMO.

O'Reilly - Just did his job and he did his job very well. Checked well, cycled well, controlled the puck and was a great two-way force. Getting his sticks in lanes, won the puck battles, and could find himself replacing guys like Sharp/Marleau on an Olympic roster.

Everybody had a great tournament but these guys stood out and IMO have a legitimate shot at the Olympic roster. Spezza was great but I don't know how he does on an Olympic team, we have a lot of skill and I don't know his speed will be against Olympic calibre teams like Eberle. MacKinnon was good but I sort of expected more. He had some good moments but him and Duchene didn't stand out too much.

Credit to Smith, everyone said he could lose the tournament for us, even me but he was solid back there. He didn't have to play out of his mind but when we needed the saves, he made them. The 1st period against the Czechs was quite a bit of pressure on Smith and he made those big saves to keep it to 0 for the Czechs.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Some guys who gave a good impression on the big ice for a World Cup/Olympic spot are Hall, Seguin, Giroux, Muzzin, Burns, Eberle, O'Reilly.

Hall/Eberle - I didn't know what to expect from these two guys because of the big ice and playing in Edmonton but Hall and Eberle were great for Crosby. It's always been hard to play with Crosby but Hall and Eberle were excellent, they're skilled, smart, and can skate. They know where to be in the offensive zone, find the soft spots and just dominated as a line together. I think Hall with Crosby at the Olympics looks great. Eberle is a little bit of a question with me, Bergeron was fine at RW and I think he brings reliable defence and more speed.

Seguin/Giroux - Both have been solid. Seguin started out slow but it seems like he was cursed missing open nets. Giroux was fast, making great passes, and just looked better, quicker on big ice. I really like Giroux and think he can be a good centre for an Olympic team along with Getzlaf/Toews/Crosby because of his defence as well.

Muzzin/Burns - Solid. These 2 have been a rock back there along with Hamhuis. Muzzin and Burns were physical, attacked in the offensive zone. The play Muzzin made on the Ennis goal is just excellent. They skated well, rubbed out forwards, made great first passes. It's hard to beat out the RHD depth for Burns but the LHD for Muzzin, he might just get a spot instead of a guy like Bouwmeester IMO.

O'Reilly - Just did his job and he did his job very well. Checked well, cycled well, controlled the puck and was a great two-way force. Getting his sticks in lanes, won the puck battles, and could find himself replacing guys like Sharp/Marleau on an Olympic roster.

Everybody had a great tournament but these guys stood out and IMO have a legitimate shot at the Olympic roster. Spezza was great but I don't know how he does on an Olympic team, we have a lot of skill and I don't know his speed will be against Olympic calibre teams like Eberle. MacKinnon was good but I sort of expected more. He had some good moments but him and Duchene didn't stand out too much.

Credit to Smith, everyone said he could lose the tournament for us, even me but he was solid back there. He didn't have to play out of his mind but when we needed the saves, he made them. The 1st period against the Czechs was quite a bit of pressure on Smith and he made those big saves to keep it to 0 for the Czechs.

Agreed.

This team only had 3 Olympians -- Duchene, Crosby, Hamhuis. But in reality, we had many more "Olympic quality players" -- Giroux, Seguin, Hall, Burns, Eberle, O'Rielly

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
really enjoying Canada's new template for team building now. when has this country ever valued skill, speed, mobility so much before?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Good tournament for Canada. They played with a style reminiscent of the 2014 Olympic team and the 2015 WJC team - disciplined and puck possession based. Canada can still play a gritty style, but going out of your way to be physical just isn't going to work anymore. This team really came together well and, for the first time since the 2006 WJC in my opinion, played above their talent level. The thing that stood out most is the speed with which they played. The breakouts were tremendous, and their pursuit was thorough. I also liked that for the most part they didn't take their foot off the pedal.

The most important thing though is that the players performed well this time. It's nice to win, but seeing good players with potential to play for Canada at bigger tournaments succeed is more important. I'm happy with the performances from every player. Some thoughts:

Smith - Much maligned, but he did a more than adequate job. Good for him to show up too, given that he's already won an Olympic gold medal. Smith should lobby the NHL to get rid of the trapezoid, as his ability to play the cup was reminiscent of the best of Brodeur.

Jones - Looked solid from what I saw. Good experience for him.

Burns - Great performance. In my opinion, he was Canada's best player and was the deserved tournament MVP. Carried the Canadian defence, contributing offensively but even more importantly shut everyone down. Burns was named the best defenceman of the tournament in 2008, and then gave two uneven performances in 2010 and 2011. With his versatility, he has to get at least some consideration for Canadian teams at the top level. Odds would be better if he was left handed. Great performance by Burns.

Hamhuis - Solid as always. Credit to Hamhuis for showing up for Canada once again. He doesn't get enough credit for being the defence version of Smyth.

Barrie - Great mobility and solid positioning. If he continues to grow his game he could be a contributor for Canada at a higher level. His style suits the style that Canada seems to be leaning toward.

Ekblad - Good first showing. Hid a little more by McLellan as the tournament went on, but that isn't embarrassing for a teenager. If he gets a little faster he could be a monster for Canada. One thing that sticks with me is his post game interview. He talked about how happy he was to win, how he loves this team and loves his country. Now that sounds like a guy who should be the key defenceman on the Young Gunz team.

Muzzin - I've been critical of Muzzin in the past, but I was wrong. He is not a product of Doughty. Good size and mobility, and a very strong tournament. Credit to Muzzin for sure.

Savard - Good, solid performance.

Wiercioch - Good job moving the puck, contributed when called upon.

Giroux - For my money, Giroux actually was Canada's best forward. When the games became more important, he and Crosby emerged and carried the play. He demonstrated that he is actually a great fit with how Canada played at the 2014 Olympics, and Canada pretty much has to make room for him in any team in the next little while. Credit to Giroux for showing up after being the highest profile snub in 2014. Let's also bury the rumours of the Crosby - Giroux team Canada feud.

Crosby - Quietly effective. Crosby isn't the skater he once was, but no one processes hockey faster than he does. Exuded confidence in his decision making and set the tone with his two way play. People may make light of his "modest" point totals, but Crosby was consistent in every zone and emerged in the later games. Good for him to show up to this tournament given that he is already a lock for Canada at any tournament he wants. I hope he proves an example for other big Canadian players.

Seguin - I think his ankle isn't fully healed, but he still performed quite well. In particular, I liked his defensive work in the final game. Proved that he can be an effective finisher on the wing, which is basically all I wanted to know about him with regard to international play. Has to be a lock for Canada at this point.

Hall - Big tournament for Hall. I've been a supporter in the past, and I hope that this performance shuts up those who made it out like Hall was going to be so terrible defensively that Canada would give up a goal every time he touched the ice. Great speed, and played the gritty role in the corners and in front of the net that Canada requires from someone with his skill set. Should be right in the mix for LW spots on Canada going forward.

Eberle - Always performs for Canada, and he did it again. Eberle will never be a bad option for Canada.

O'Reilly - One of my favourite NHLers, and I think he was easily one of Canada's most valuable forwards. Great defensively and positionally. The way he steals the puck and pressures the opposition is among the very best in the world. Canada correctly takes utility players for best on best competitions - players who can kill penalties and contribute on a line without the puck on their stick. O'Reilly moved up the lineup and proved that he can definitely be one of those players. Think Richards, Morrow, Marleau, Carter, Sharp, Bergeron from recent Olympic tournaments.

Spezza - I'm glad that Spezza was finally rewarded for his contributions to Hockey Canada. He has never been selected to actually play in the Olympics (arguably a big snub in 2010) and is too old now, but he's shown up for Canada numerous times, even being told that they basically didn't want him a few years ago. I was glad when Crosby gave the trophy to Spezza. It's hard to find a player so great who had won no gold with Canada. Great on him to show up once again. Good example for the younger players.

MacKinnon - Somewhat quiet tournament, but I have to remind myself that he's still only 19. Good showing for MacKinnon, who I suspect is not fully healed from his injuries. His speed (along with Seguin, Hall, Duchene and company) was essential for Canada's high pressure strategy. We will see him representing Canada on a bigger stage.

Duchene - Duchene is a good, loyal soldier for Hockey Canada. His speed is clearly his best asset, but I like the attitude he brings. He lit up the weak teams early on, and then by all accounts remained positive even when Canada moved him down the lineup in order to give bigger responsibility to Crosby and Giroux. I consider him a lock for Canada during the next Olympic cycle because of his speed, positional versatility and attitude.

Couturier - I've been a fan for a while, but I was still surprised by how effective he was. Really was one of Canada's key forwards, and looked great defensively. It's actually funny to watch him just casually skating around snuffing out the other team's offence. I don't know if he'll ever make a top level edition of team Canada, but if Toews and Bergeron were both injured I would feel comfortable with Couturier in a fourth line, defensive role.

Ennis - A few Buffalo fans said they expected Ennis to perform very well on the big ice with elite teammates, and they were right. Fast and creative, and his size is clearly much less an issue internationally. Underrated performer for Canada, just as he was on the 2009 WJC team.

Toffoli - Solid contributor in a limited role. Too bad he didn't get to play in the 2011 WJC.

Eakin - I thought of him as a concession made to the team's GM, but Eakin more than earned his keep. Almost an ideal fourth liner for this tournament, he skates really well and was very well suited to his role. Pressured the opposition all over the ice and left nothing to be desires with his play. Another underrated part of the team.

Schenn - Seemingly had a good attitude about his role on the team. Good on him for showing up and then not complaining when his spot was given away.

Johansen and Couture - Too big for this team apparently. In my mind anyway, they've been passed by numerous players when it comes to making team Canada in the future.

Overall a good job by all involved. Very informative.

They have been passed by, but I'll give those 2 one more opportunity to show up before I start giving them the Iginla treatment. The rest of your player evaluations are spot on though, as usual. I'm happy for Muzzin. I've always been a Muzzin supporter and felt he could be an adequate fill in on the real NT in an emergency, if we were ever short of a LD.

Kudos to True Hockey Fan as well...for being the eternal optimist. A few more consecutive solid performances by Canada at various IIHF events and my criticism of Hockey Canada will go silent.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They have been passed by, but I'll give those 2 one more opportunity to show up before I start giving them the Iginla treatment. The rest of your player evaluations are spot on though, as usual. I'm happy for Muzzin. I've always been a Muzzin supporter and felt he could be an adequate fill in on the real NT in an emergency, if we were ever short of a LD.

Kudos to True Hockey Fan as well...for being the eternal optimist. A few more consecutive solid performances by Canada at various IIHF events and my criticism of Hockey Canada will go silent.

Johansen and Couture shouldn't be blacklisted or anything, but their respective decisions were just as bad as those made by the Edmonton players last year. Of course now Hall and Eberle have proven themselves a bit more, so that is mostly forgotten, and good for them. They were pretty much the first players to put up celebratory pictures, I noticed. I would have both firmly ahead of Couture and Johansen now. O'Reilly too.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Tyler Myers will be on the next Olympic team. Possibly Dougie Hamilton as well.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Johansen and Couture shouldn't be blacklisted or anything, but their respective decisions were just as bad as those made by the Edmonton players last year. Of course now Hall and Eberle have proven themselves a bit more, so that is mostly forgotten, and good for them. They were pretty much the first players to put up celebratory pictures, I noticed. I would have both firmly ahead of Couture and Johansen now. O'Reilly too.

Let's hope Sid set a good example for other players with National Team aspirations...and let's hope Hockey Canada can manage the roster selections a little better, leaving 2 spots open until the completion of the 1st rd.... which shouldn't be much of a problem next year as the tourney opens on May 6.

Although, I think there was 1 spot open for Tavares. Sid beat him to it. So cool to see him and Mackinnon celebrating the moment together. I think Mackinnon really hits his potential next season.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Let's hope Sid set a good example for other players with National Team aspirations...and let's hope Hockey Canada can manage the roster selections a little better, leaving 2 spots open until the completion of the 1st rd.... which shouldn't be much of a problem next year as the tourney opens on May 6.

Although, I think there was 1 spot open for Tavares. Sid beat him to it. So cool to see him and Mackinnon celebrating the moment together. I think Mackinnon really hits his potential next season.

I'm interested to see how the culture develops. Crosby, MacKinnon, Duchene, Tavares and others train together in the summer. They've been spending time in Halifax (Spezza too) the last two summers at the very least, which gets local attention, and then different parts of North America. Tavares and Duchene are proven to be dedicated to playing for Canada, Crosby looks like he might be that guy too when healthy, and perhaps MacKinnon has been brought up in that direction. It's a good thing if the next generation of top Canadian players (McDavid, Bennett, Monahan, Reinhart, Hamilton, Rielly etc.) come up with the desire to play for Canada whenever they can.

Roster management can't be criticized too much this year. Doughty said no, and all of the other top defencemen were injured or in the playoffs. Tavares would have gone apparently, but they probably never expected Crosby.

It's hard to guess about next year. They're always going to fill most of the spots with teams that miss the playoffs just to be safe. There are plenty of good young players available, so it will be interesting once again if most of them agree to go. At the very least we should see Hall - McDavid - Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad