WC: 2015 — Team Canada II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So with there being potential for Montreal or Minnesota being eliminated tomorrow night...
We've got the chances of adding Price, Dubnyk, Kuemper in net.
And Scandella, Spurgeon, Subban, or Dumba on defense.

Next earliest any other teams can start being eliminated isn't until Sunday... what's the deadline for final additions again? When the elimination round starts?

Oilerglory

Jul 1, 2014
The Hague
Hall Crosby Stamkos
Tavares Getzlaf Perry
Benn Toews Giroux
Duchene McDavid Mackinnon

Kieth Doughty
Ekblad Weber
Subban Myers

Price

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think we can add up until the quarters, which is next Thursday I think. Smith gives the impression that any shot could go in, I think it was a mistake to openly declare him number one ahead of Jones or anyone else before the tourney started. It will create unnecessary controversy if we roll with Jones or if any goalie comes over. Smith just doesn't give me confidence in an elimination game.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
At this point they should roll with who got them to this point. Team chemistry matters and what is someone going to have to give that's played two playoff series and would have to immediately fly overseas when there might be only a game or so left?

Burnaby_Joe*

At this point they should roll with who got them to this point. Team chemistry matters and what is someone going to have to give that's played two playoff series and would have to immediately fly overseas when there might be only a game or so left?

This is true, but if/when the Habs are eliminated and Price wants to make the trip, you say, "****en eh, bud".

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I disagree. Price is the exception. He was the best player in hockey this past year. You make an accommodation because of his track record, especially at last year's Olympics.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I was surprised at the amount of Canadians at the game. Unlike the World Juniors there usually aren't that many Canadians in the crowd for the WC.

Maybe there are a lot of expats in Prague?

snizzbone*

I heard during the game that Canada only has one spot left that can be filled.

You're allowed 22 skaters + 3 goalies.

Canada:

14 Forwards
7 Dman
2 goalies

So we have 21 skaters + 2 goalies. We can add 1 skater and 1 goalie. I'd assume the last skater to be added would be a defenseman and then a goalie.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Price and Subban seem like no brainers. Wouldn't be surprised to see them both turn it down though should the series end tomorrow. An extra series of games takes a toll on a player.

No disrespect to anyone else but I'd just as soon hold off on the roster and leave it as is otherwise.

snizzbone*

List of guys who could be available if MTL/MIN/NYR/CGY all get eliminated. Would have to assume Price/Subban as locks if MTL was eliminated and they said yes. Only including D and G since we have enough F.

Goalies:
Price*
Tokarski
Talbot
Dubnyk

Defenseman:
Subban*
Dumba
Spurgeon
Scandella
Boyle
Girardi
Staal
Brodie
Russell
Wideman
Klein

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Price and Subban seem like no brainers. Wouldn't be surprised to see them both turn it down though should the series end tomorrow. An extra series of games takes a toll on a player.

No disrespect to anyone else but I'd just as soon hold off on the roster and leave it as is otherwise.

Ya, I doubt bringing in Price or any other goaltender to be the # 1 starter late in preliminary or elimination games would be a wise move at this point...adapting from N. American ice to Olympic size ice is most difficult for goaltenders. I'd prefer to stick with the guys we have (even though I don't have much confidence in Smith) than change it up now. The offense should be good enough to overcome B or C level goaltending. But I'd prefer to add a D-man and a third string goaltender just for insurance.

And even though I was no fan of the Schenn selection to this team, I think he should play the next 2 to see if he is a better option than Eakin. He can fit right in on the LW with Couturier on the 4th line and perhaps we can cash in on some NHL teammate chemistry.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

If the defenceman is only of middling ability then sure, leave things as they are. If Canada can add a difference maker? They should at least try. I would like to see Subban play as the leader of Canada's defence (rather than 7/8th defenceman) or see what Brodie can do in a bigger role than just nothing at all.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think Price and Subban would make the trip if asked, especially with Crosby there.

Adding the best goalie in the NHL and one of the best defensemen would go a long way. I'd say we'd be favorites for gold at that point.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think Price and Subban would make the trip if asked, especially with Crosby there.

Adding the best goalie in the NHL and one of the best defensemen would go a long way. I'd say we'd be favorites for gold at that point.

Considering Canada would have far better players than the opposition at every single position if that happened, Canada just might be the favourites if that came to pass.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012

Chemistry is one thing, but guys want to win, and adding an elite player at this stage would not be a problem in the room. Guys would welcome Subban or Price with open arms.

In particular, if Carey Price answers the call, there's not a player on Team Canada who would be upset. He's always been there for Team Canada in the past, and he is without doubt the best goaltender in the world right now. Putting him in the nets would make this team unstoppable.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Roll with who they have. It's unfair to bring in guys at this point. Team is in a good spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad