WC: 2015 — Team Austria

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I can't figure out the purpose for structuring the team the way Ratushny has. It's one thing if he wanted to go all in, and in that case he would have included all of his best players like Michael Grabner, Andreas Nodl, and eventually Thomas Vanek, or if he had wanted to showcase Austria's youth like the Americans did, and in that case we'd see Lukas Haudum and Mario Huber, but Dan has chosen to go with older players who still put up poor stats like Daniel Woger...Nikolas Petrik...Mario Fischer...Alexander Cjian...Andreas Kristler...It really showed towards the end of the game today when he was hesitant to play the fourth line at all and kept putting out the same guys in different pairings.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
That was an entertaining game, good effort by you guys too, not an easy task neutralizing Canadian giants. Basically EBEL vs NHL 2:3 (let's leave empty netter out here), not too bad at all, your goalie was/is outstanding.

Also, nice one by team Canada to include Jamie Fraser.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
That was an entertaining game, good effort by you guys too, not an easy task neutralizing Canadian giants. Basically EBEL vs NHL 2:3 (let's leave empty netter out here), not too bad at all, your goalie was/is outstanding.

The EBEL will love you for saying that. In reality the goals were scored by Raffl with Herburger on the assist and Herburger with Raffl on the assist (Raffl is in the NHL, Herburger in the NLA) and our goalie plays in the SHL but thanks anyways.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
The EBEL will love you for saying that. In reality the goals were scored by Raffl with Herburger on the assist and Herburger with Raffl on the assist (Raffl is in the NHL, Herburger in the NLA) and our goalie plays in the SHL but thanks anyways.

The details..yeah you're correct, i didn't check who scored for Austria, i meant 'roughly' ebel vs nhl. Goalie played exceptionally well, needs to be said again.

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL

so i hope everything worked for you there with ticket and parking:)
thats our problem: mainly they play in EBEL, and too many foreigners there taking the rooster of our austrians cant play and get improved. and too less austrians play in other leagues:(
your slovenes have it better...

i ll support your team after slovakia (my wife:p:), as i like rok ticar + jiga jeglic since playing for us with slovan bratislava

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Thanks again for all the info geri, it helped alot :)

Of course Garmin-navigation system took me off the highway as soon as possible (need to check on my settings again) and drove me through entire city center at 4:30pm so we spent extra hour in car in more or less jammed streets but we were early anyway so it was ok.

Atmosphere was good, met few nice fans of both teams.

Yeah our current team is as strong as it gets for our standards and i am excited about it. On the other hand our clubs are in catastrophic situation, compared to what it was at least. Fear for our hockey future is very real, well we hope for the best. When you speak about foreigners in EBEL, i was quite shocked when i realized that there are only two Austrians in top 20 in scoring points.

I am really satisfied with both of them, their transformation from DEL to KHL went fairly smooth. Was checking Slovan stats the other day, they were only guys on entire team with positive +- stat, well they were more or less 0.5 ppg, which is fine. Need to come to Bratislava to check Slovan KHL game next season (you really need to stay in the league).

Cheers for extra support :)

seeep

Mar 13, 2011
hi guys, why is no Trattnig, Setzinger, Lakos, Pock, Koch, Unterluggauer in NT ? Are they retired from NT ?

Stefan Ulmer and Nodl are not good for NT atm ?

thx

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
hi guys, why is no Trattnig, Setzinger, Lakos, Pock, Koch, Unterluggauer in NT ? Are they retired from NT ?

Stefan Ulmer and Nodl are not good for NT atm ?

thx
All the ones on the first line are retired except Koch who might join them (in retirement). Ulmer is injured and Nodl might be as well or just resting after playing in the finals. There are at least half a dozen players on this team who can barely make it in the EBEL and are here because coach Ratushny makes most of his decisions based off of who attends his little preparation camps. He's big on chemistry, but against good teams that will translate to being big on losing big.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
All the ones on the first line are retired except Koch who might join them (in retirement). Ulmer is injured and Nodl might be as well or just resting after playing in the finals. There are at least half a dozen players on this team who can barely make it in the EBEL and are here because coach Ratushny makes most of his decisions based off of who attends his little preparation camps. He's big on chemistry, but against good teams that will translate to being big on losing big.

I disagree. If there is one thing this Team Austria has shown it is the fact that chemistry trumps some washed up Veteran who may or may not care to play at his potential. The play of this Team (in capital letters on purpose) is a very pleasent surprise so far. They can skate, they fight and they can actually play as well. I do not miss anyone from the list apart from a healthy Grabner and a backup Goalie (Lange) on the level of Starkbaum. There are several pleasent surprises on this year's team like Heinrich for example. The defense has not looked this mobile in years.

The tournament is still young, still a lot of hockey left to be played. But so far, Ratushny did everything right and has rekindled a team spirit that has been sorely lacking in recent years.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I disagree. If there is one thing this Team Austria has shown it is the fact that chemistry trumps some washed up Veteran who may or may not care to play at his potential. The play of this Team (in capital letters on purpose) is a very pleasent surprise so far. They can skate, they fight and they can actually play as well. I do not miss anyone from the list apart from a healthy Grabner and a backup Goalie (Lange) on the level of Starkbaum. There are several pleasent surprises on this year's team like Heinrich for example. The defense has not looked this mobile in years.

The tournament is still young, still a lot of hockey left to be played. But so far, Ratushny did everything right and has rekindled a team spirit that has been sorely lacking in recent years.
There's a great divide among Austrian fans and it's pretty much all about whether the "washed up veteran" Thomas Vanek should be allowed to play again. Frankly, he could play better drunk and with on hand than daniel woger and another 5 or 6 of the guys on the team. For these world championships Ratushny will try to get local players and local fans involved, and put an emphasis on chemistry and building a core. But a win against switzerland's c team and maybe other local league based teams like latvia or france shouldn't be overstated. When the Olympic qualifications or the Olympics come around and Ratushny chooses his roster you will see many washed up veterans simply because he'd rather score 4 on Finland than zero.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
a 7th place finish is considered a success in Austria, where the team has been relegated every time since I think 2004. A win against France and/or Latvia would be a success. You have to keep that in mind. I am not talking about being able to reach the quarter finals, but local media and local fans have very much doubted the team had any chance of staying up with "this roster". The play - so far - has been a very nice surprise and the attitude the team expressed even more so. That's the real success they have archieved up to this point.

Of course a loss against France would dampen a lot of this excitement very quickly, so let's wait and see what tonight will bring.

hmpf

Aug 20, 2008
Don't know. Maybe he didn't have club during Romanian cup games and they paid him well just for few games:dunno:

A friend of Andre Lakos who like Setzinger was out of contract at the time is/was a sponsor of Dunarea Galati and invited them to play a couple of games there.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I think we'll beat France and a weakened Latvia team. Austria has improved, and the emergence of players like lebler, herburger, and komarek is going to change things regardless. Our current strategy though of essentially only playing 3 lines because the 4th line and the healthy scratched are a liability is unsustainable though. Ratushny has done well so far but he will continue to do well in the future by inviting Nodl, Grabner and Vanek and the federation would do well to avoid disputes with it's players. The other old players are washed out I agree, and setzinger never played with much heart.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad