GDT: 2014 Youngstars Tournament: Flames vs. Oilers: Sept. 13th: 7:30 PM PDT/8:30 PM MDT

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah it was exciting. There's something about these two jerseys that hate each other, regardless of who's wearing it. No way most of these kids have any idea what the BoA is really about and yet it didn't disappoint.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
The team has truculence, but you lose skill when you take away skilled forwards like Granlund. Oh well.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Oilers had a better system tonight. Flames looked like they didn't have any system at all. In a throw away game though, that may have been intentional.

Flames who looked great were: Bennett, Gaudreau, Elson and Culkin (to me anyway)

Yakimov looked really good for the Oilers, interesting player. Believe he is 6'5? Seemed to have very good positioning.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
It was a good game but the commentators were just DREADFUL.
The future of Battle of Alberta is bright.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Oilers had a better system tonight. Flames looked like they didn't have any system at all. In a throw away game though, that may have been intentional.

Flames who looked great were: Bennett, Gaudreau, Elson and Culkin (to me anyway)

Yakimov looked really good for the Oilers, interesting player. Believe he is 6'5? Seemed to have very good positioning.

Yup, Yakimov is 6'5 240 lbs.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It was a good game but the commentators were just DREADFUL.
The future of Battle of Alberta is bright.

Wasn't one of the guys Gene Principe? I figured you'd be used to him by now.

But yeah, the Flames had no system at all today. It's like the coaching staff just said "Go that way!" :laugh:

Still a pretty fun BoA to watch. Even better that some of the last regular ones in recent years.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
When this Oilers team commits to a defensive system they really keep themselves in games well, won by playing smart and cashing in on the PP. Maybe a sign their coaching does have a plan and holding onto Eakins will work out for them?

After Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland which put up a couple points (not sure why Ferland wants to showcase his fighting when he has 3 games to show he can play hockey).
Hathaway-Elson were great, once again our only d-man sticking out for the right reasons was Ramage.
Kanzig, Carroll, Smith and Culkin all were frustrating to watch.

Chase finally not the best prospect on his team in these games by Tkachev&Yakimov neither stuck out like Ehlers on the Jets but still had solid showings and lead the offense to a win.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wasn't one of the guys Gene Principe? I figured you'd be used to him by now.

But yeah, the Flames had no system at all today. It's like the coaching staff just said "Go that way!" :laugh:

Still a pretty fun BoA to watch. Even better that some of the last regular ones in recent years.
Of course there is no system. Game 1 was also day 2 of rookie camp and Game 2 was only day 3. On day 1 they likely never even took the ice, it was probably fitness testing and interviews and such.

They probably have their first and only practice of the tournament tomorrow on their off day.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Was at the game tonight, as well as Friday afternoon, and Bennetts play was night and day. In game one I noticed him 2 or 3 times....but tonight he was flying out there. Really showed his potential tonight. Was the best player out there for you guys imo.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Johnny goal was a treat to watch when I got home. Again.

Really liked the hits by Bennett and Smith, too.

fallsviewafro*

BxeC3wSCMAEfKLe.jpg

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Love this kid.
I was incredibly happy with this pick. He has some decent hands too... Could be a great middle 6 RWer in this organization.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier
Baertschi - Monahan - Granlund
Klimchuk - Jankowski - Smith

Drooling right now over our potential top-nine looking like this eventually, plus whoever we add from next year's draft (though I'm holding out hope for Hanifin or Kylington). Hunter with Klimmer and Janko would be all kinds of sickness imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad