GDT: 2014 Youngstars Tournament: Flames vs. Jets: Sept. 12th: 4:00 PM PDT/5:00 PM MDT

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
You can tell that Granlund-Jooris-Ferland line has pro experience. Granlund definitely the catalyst on that line with the other two providing great support. Ferland had a really strong rookie tournament last year I recall. Everytime I've seen him I've been impressed.

Defence as a whole looked shaky, being the first game of the season and all. Wasn't particularly impressed by anyone beside Ramage. Liked his awareness in the offensive zone, knows how to move the puck.

Gaudreau's gonna Gaudreau. Bennett got better as the game went on.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Could only listen to the game on the radio. they said Bennett looked very impressive and smart defensively, I guess that doesn't translate as well on tv.

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
Granlund and Ferland continue where they left off last year when Ferland got injured. Granlund with 4 pts tonight and they showed the chemistry they had the last 12 games they played together last year when Ferland had 17 pts in 12 games and Granlund had a 11 or 12 game point streak. I'd love to see Gaudreau on the wing with them against NHL competition.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sad I had to leave after the first, seems like the game really picked up. Hopefully they put highlights up later.

EDIT: Never mind, they're already putting them up!

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
I just got back now. How were they today?

Granlund, Ferland and Jooris line was excellent. Granlund with 4 points and a really unselfish pass for an open net goal.

Gaudreau with a super slick goal and played well. Took a big hit at the beginning of the game and seemed to be fine which was great to see.

Bennett and Klimchuk have to work harder to get noticed although Bennett looked a bit better in the third. If Bennett wants to make the flames this year he is going to have to go gangbusters the next couple of games and thru the rest of preseason.

Defense was weak, but understandable with no system as of yet and Sieloff just getting back into things. Kanzig was okay and had a couple of good hits. Ramage looked okay in the offensive zone. Was hoping for way more out of Kulak but hopefully that will come this year.

Aug 3, 2010
How was Gaudreau for the latter two periods? I hope he started to hold his own and wasn't a one-play wonder.

He did okay in the corners, wasn't fantastic but didn't shy away and certainly nobody could really lay a hit on him. He made a few nice passes to teammates who couldn't finish / anticipate the pass because they probably don't think ahead as much as Gaudreau does. This happened more than once with passes back to the point especially.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
How was Gaudreau for the latter two periods? I hope he started to hold his own and wasn't a one-play wonder.

He carried the puck lots though. It seemed our own players and the opposition were watching him at times. He looks well paced, and like he could play long shifts because he uses his energy well.

Ehlers and Petan were the best individual players IMO. JG wasn't the best by any means....Granlund was the best Flame IMO

May 27, 2012
Earth
Granlund, Ferland and Jooris line was excellent. Granlund with 4 points and a really unselfish pass for an open net goal.

Gaudreau with a super slick goal and played well. Took a big hit at the beginning of the game and seemed to be fine which was great to see.

Bennett and Klimchuk have to work harder to get noticed although Bennett looked a bit better in the third. If Bennett wants to make the flames this year he is going to have to go gangbusters the next couple of games and thru the rest of preseason.

Defense was weak, but understandable with no system as of yet and Sieloff just getting back into things. Kanzig was okay and had a couple of good hits. Ramage looked okay in the offensive zone. Was hoping for way more out of Kulak but hopefully that will come this year.
Thanks!

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Anyone got a clip of the Gaudreau goal?

GlumUnhealthyAstrangiacoral.gif

Sutter Brother

Feb 12, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Johnny Hockey with a beauty. Looked like he was gonna deke the goalie; got hooked and improvised. The kids hands and brains are gonna make for some highlights for sure. As a whole the defence looked disorganized with not enough good breakouts; having Wotherspoon would have helped. As far as Bennett goes ya he did not really standout but look who he was playing with - no one near his skill level. Hunter Smith surprised me just with how good his feet and skating are for the beast that he is.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Johnny Hockey with a beauty. Looked like he was gonna deke the goalie; got hooked and improvised. The kids hands and brains are gonna make for some highlights for sure. As a whole the defence looked disorganized with not enough good breakouts; having Wotherspoon would have helped. As far as Bennett goes ya he did not really standout but look who he was playing with - no one near his skill level. Hunter Smith surprised me just with how good his feet and skating are for the beast that he is.

I thought he was playing with Klimchuk?

It's okay if he wasn't the best player on the ice. He quietly had a good game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I didn't get to watch, sleeping before a midnight shift. Anyone know if CF.com will have an archived version posted for people to watch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad