2014 World Junior Thread

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Considering the highlights were probably goals, which goalies look good on goals they allow?

He looked fine, as others have said. Shaky at times, but for the most part, he played quite well, as he has all year by winning and stopping pucks more than not.
That first goal though, I know he's screened and its in a high quality area, but I just feel like he could have made that save. The one in OT he had no chance on, defensive breakdown let the Finn walk right in.

Just to make the Buffalo future look even more brighter. The Ristolainen-Zadorov is an all star defensive pair of the WJC.

In the OT he made a couple great saves, Risto alone could score twice prior to the goal.

Yeah he did play pretty well in OT.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Just to make the Buffalo future look even more brighter. The Ristolainen-Zadorov is an all star defensive pair of the WJC.

In the OT he made a couple great saves, Risto alone could score twice prior to the goal.

Both young, both with a taste in the NHL... in a few years they should make an impact for Buffalo..

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Wennberg seems to get better and better with each game at the tournament. While he isn't scoring at the strong pace that he started the tournament with, he has gotten better all around, is controlling the play more, and is playing with a confident swagger. He has that rare ability to slow the play down and knows where his teammates are ... I really think he'll be an excellent guy to have as a 1-2 punch with Johansen. We'll have one right handed guy, one left handed guy; both of whom are skilled offensively and can play in all three zones. Really, Wennberg is a similar player to Johansen, but is less of a straight line type-player.

Plenty to be excited about with this kid ... only one period left in the tournament, will be interesting to see how he and the Swedes react to being down 2-1.

I loved his play today. I thought he was their best forward. I thought Dansk was good too, except for the last goal. A lot to be excited about with both players.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Considering the highlights were probably goals, which goalies look good on goals they allow?

He looked fine, as others have said. Shaky at times, but for the most part, he played quite well, as he has all year by winning and stopping pucks more than not.

If he keeps developing, he is going to win more games than he loses. I thought he played well and really like his potential.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
That first goal though, I know he's screened and its in a high quality area, but I just feel like he could have made that save. The one in OT he had no chance on, defensive breakdown let the Finn walk right in.

Yeah he did play pretty well in OT.

I disagree on both. The first one, the only way he stops it is if it hits him, IMO. The last goal he should have had. It went under his pads, unless I saw it wrong. He didn't get down quick enough.

bizzz*

I disagree on both. The first one, the only way he stops it is if it hits him, IMO. The last goal he should have had. It went under his pads, unless I saw it wrong. He didn't get down quick enough.

It went in OVER his pad.

Jaan

May 10, 2013
CBJ Prospects ‏@CBJProspects 2m
Oscar Dansk named top goaltender by directorate. #CBJ

Since these selections are made before the final they were probably expecting Sweden to destroy Finland. Dansk was 3rd best goalie in the tournament.

bizzz*

Thanks. I thought it went under. Still a stop he probably should have made.

I might be wrong. That's an impression I've got watching replays on Russian channel. Looks like Dansk's pads are completely covering the ice down low:
risto.png

Edit: After watching replay I have to admit I was wrong. It went in under the pad. Sorry for inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I might be wrong. That's an impression I've got watching replays on Russian channel. Looks like Dansk's pads are completely covering the ice down low:

I thought it went under ... as did the Canadian commentary that I was watching. If you watch closely, just as the shot is taken, his pad is 2-3 inches off the ice where the puck goes.

It's moot ... the puck went in, and the game ended. As it stands, you have a 6'4" defenseman going untouched in front of his net. That's a tough stop for any goaltender to make, and it's hard to fault Dansk.

Again, I thought he was shaky at times, looked out of his element ... but overall, he had a good tournament and still shows the potential of a #1 goalie in the NHL. He's a few years away from making an impact, but that's fine by me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Overall whether he was shaky or not. Can't say how excited I am for our next crop of players (Wennberg, Dansk, Rychel (even though he had a bad tourny), Dano, etc) to get over here. Good times to be a CBJ fan incoming

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Overall whether he was shaky or not. Can't say how excited I am for our next crop of players (Wennberg, Dansk, Rychel (even though he had a bad tourny), Dano, etc) to get over here. Good times to be a CBJ fan incoming

People keep talking about Rychel, but Dano's tournament wasn't awe-inspiring in its own right. He was expected to carry much of the offensive load for Slovakia (as he did last year), but he only managed three points. I would love to see Marko Dano in North America ... it's so hard to get a feel for a guy that is nearly impossible to see in the KHL.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Grading CBJ Prospects

Just a quick blurb on how I thought each prospect for us performed at the WJC ... keep in mind that I watched a ridiculously tiring amount of hockey over the last two weeks, and if I missed anything or you felt I got something wrong, please let me know.

Alexander Wennberg (SWE): A+

Not much that hasn't been said about Wennberg, all of which has been positive. Wennberg was not only one of the best forwards for his team, but was one of the most consistent, dominant performers at the tournament overall. In all three zones. I loved Wennberg's tournament ... he played his game to perfection. 3 goals, 7 points, +5 rating.

Oscar Dansk (SWE): A

I wouldn't call Dansk's tournament a negative by any means. He was, after all, named top goaltender (though, Saros from Finland may have been more deserving) ... but, at times, Dansk looked slightly "off", and seemed to be fighting the puck a bit. All in all, a solid performance at the tournament, which has me excited for his future, though it may be awhile before he's ready to make an impact for us. 6-1 record; 92.9% save percentage, 1.79 GAA.

Kerby Rychel (CAN): D

Most people would probably grade Rychel a bit lower, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I thought in the second and third game for Canada, he started to come on a little bit, but was relegated to the fourth line and never really had much of an opportunity to play after that. Goal scorers are notoriously streaky, and in a short tournament, it's either boom or bust. Unfortunately for Rychel, he wasn't a key factor for team Canada. 0 points, -3 rating.

Josh Anderson (CAN)L C

Anderson played exactly the role I expected; that of a fourth line banger. He started out the tournament on a line with Frederik Gauthier and Scott Laughton, before Laughton was promoted to a bigger role. After the change, Anderson seemed to take a slight step back, but still played a solid, straight lines, two-way type of game. I didn't think he was bad at all in the tournament, actually performed about as I expected him to. 1 goal, -2 rating.

Marko Dano (SVK): C+

I mentioned earlier that I expected a bit more of Dano, as he was nothing short of a force for Slovakia at last year's WJC, registering 9 points and 12 penalty minutes. This year, Dano was a less consistent threat, constantly facing the opposition's top players, which limited his effectiveness overall. As it stands, Dano was still a solid two-way player for the Slovaks, and didn't necessarily have a bad tournament - just underwhelming. 2 goals, 1 assist, +1 rating.

Markus Soberg (NOR): C

Soberg's tournament was shortened due to injury, which was unfortunate because he has the potential to be a gamebreaking forward for the Norwegians. Unfortunately for Soberg, he wasn't enough to help keep Norway from being relegated to the B division for next year's tournament. Playing for one of the biggest underdogs in the tournament, and being their best player, meant that Soberg was watched like a hawk by the opposition. I don't think we saw everything he had to offer, and I feel he may have been playing injured. 1 assist, -1 rating.

Oliver Bjorkstrand (DEN): B+

One of the most talented players for team Denmark is Jacket prospect Oliver Bjorkstrand, who helped earn the team a promotion to the main tournament in 2015. Next year, Bjorkstrand will certainly be a key weapon for the team as they compete against the best in the world. 5gp, 4 goals, 2 assists, +2 rating.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Other stuff

Top forward: Teuvo Teravainen, Finland
Top defenseman: Aaron Ekblad, Canada
Top goaltender: Juuse Saross, Finland
Biggest surprise: Jack Eichel
Biggest disappointment: Jake Paterson

General thoughts:

Jack Eichel may push Connor McDavid harder than any of us thought for the top spot at next summer's draft ... this guy can flat out play.

I didn't pencil Aaron Ekblad into the Canadian lineup pre-tournament ... there's a reason I'm not the GM. The kid was not only able to fit in, but was their go-to guy at the most important times. Absolutely better than I thought he was, and in all three zones. He looks like the real deal...

...not to leave out Sam Reinhart, who performed exactly as I expected. Reinhart spent most of his time in the top-6 for Canada and saw powerplay time. Whoever picks first and second this summer is in for a real treat.

Leon Draisaitl had the opportunity to lead the Germans to incredible heights that they've never seen .. instead, he wound up frustrated, off his game, and eventually suspended. He did help keep them from relegation, but this is a guy that I have written into my top-5 overall for this summer's draft. I expected more.

Why did the Canadians even bring Chris Bigras?

The "B" tournament needs to show its team promoted to the big tournament in the same year ... too often we're seeing teams get blown out because they are promoted, but lose their talent before the main tournament a full year later because they're too old. I feel like that's the case almost every year.

Finland was amazing all tournament ... from top to bottom, they were the most consistent team, and absolutely deserved the gold. They had a player at each position that could make a case for best in the tournament. And, their coach had some epic facial expressions.

Too bad the Russians brought their diving team instead of their hockey team, they were the embarrassment of the tournament for me.

Czech hockey looks to be coming back strong...

The Swiss weren't as composed as they normally are, which I found surprising.

The officiating was brutal ... from the fail of not kicking out Michal Plutnar, to the missed elbowing call in the gold medal game ... really a disappointment overall. Steve Papp was named one of the top officials, and he's a ref that I've seen and know all too well. That's all I have to say about that.

It was a fun tournament overall, Malmo looks like a beautiful city and the Swedes put on a great show. But, I'm glad it's back on this side of the world next year. It will be so much easier to follow. We were fortunate to have a guy from our staff go to the tourny and provide a more inside look ... I'll be interested to hear his thoughts.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
risto.png

Edit: After watching replay I have to admit I was wrong. It went in under the pad. Sorry for inconvenience.

i thought it did. No problem.

Ebbisen

Jun 5, 2012
Lurking the HF board
Thanks for your input Sore Loser, i agree with almost everything you wrote, only one small thing i dont agree with and that is: Top defenseman: Aaron Ekblad, Canada, i am pretty sure Aaron will go high in the draft and be a very good NHLer, but he really needs to work on his skating. I was really impressed with Rasmus Ristolainen and Ville Pokka. I also liked Anton Karlsson, really looks like Mikael Renberg on the ice, gritty 2way player who you just hate to play against, and he can also chip in offensly, and by the looks of the mock drafts he might be slipping, in the rankings.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Thanks for your input Sore Loser, i agree with almost everything you wrote, only one small thing i dont agree with and that is: Top defenseman: Aaron Ekblad, Canada, i am pretty sure Aaron will go high in the draft and be a very good NHLer, but he really needs to work on his skating. I was really impressed with Rasmus Ristolainen and Ville Pokka. I also liked Anton Karlsson, really looks like Mikael Renberg on the ice, gritty 2way player who you just hate to play against, and he can also chip in offensly, and by the looks of the mock drafts he might be slipping, in the rankings.

I think it's a rarity for an underaged (by tournament standards) defenseman to step into a top-pairing role ... let alone, become the #1 guy for his team at the tournament. I don't get your concerns with Ekblad's skating? In my opinion, it's one of his strengths. Maybe I saw something different, or was just watching with rose colored lenses?

At any rate, I thought Ekblad really came into his own and got better and better as the tournament went on. Surely, Rasmus Ristolainen would have been the more popular choice; but I felt Ekblad became more valuable to his team, and thus, went with him as my choice. Thanks for your input!

As for Karlsson, I liked his tournament, and I'm not sure that he would be slipping on my next ranking. I don't do a top-30 very often, but on the last one I put together, I had him mid-teens, which is about where I'd have him right now. Generally speaking, I agree with your assessment; certainly not as offensively gifted as his older brother, but a good two-way guy that could develop an offensive touch as he gets older. Looks comparable to Patrick Berglund or thereabouts to me ... Mikael Renberg may be a good comparison also.

SL, thanks for the great info. I am curious if you think JK would have any interest in prying Teravainen from the Hawks?

At the price it would likely take immediately following the tournament, no. I was actually surprised to see Teuvo fall to 18th at his draft (we picked Ryan Murray 2nd) ... there was that long run on defenseman that, I guess, plummeted him in the rankings. But, many people had him top-10, which was certainly more of a reflection of his talent. Last year, he led the tournament in goals, this year in assists, which are both impressive feats, especially for a guy not from Canada, Russia, or even Sweden. He isn't dominating for Jokerit though, so it's hard to get a real feel for his potential. I expect him to make the jump to North America next year. He could even make the Hawks ... they've been patient with his growth so far, and I would fully expect them to at least wait and give him a good look up close first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad