WJC: 2014 WJC in Sweden. When? and How? | General talk (tickets, hotels, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vetal

Dec 29, 2012
Valencia (Spain)
Are you sure? Official attendance figures, which obviously does not mean there can't be empty seats - corporate tickets etc, look pretty good...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Junior_Ice_Hockey_Championships#Group_A

ps. The secondary Dwyer Arena's max capacity being 1400, those figures are not bad... :D

:) Nice link. But I am sure they put one additional digit to some attendances to avoid the shame :):) I remember Russia-Norway game. It was really empty :) Maybe people were comming at the end of the game, to see the next game too :)

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
I attended Germany-Czech and Canada-Slovakia today and both game there were over 2000 in the stands, Canada's game 3500. Some games are gonna be less attendance on but you need to spread the tournament around for the sport to grow. For example all over Malmö there are flags and info about the tournament which gets the "average swede" to open their eyes to the game to! Let's go Sweden!

Craven

Dec 27, 2013
Canada
That's ignorant to say. Swedens games have been almost sold out. Some of the russian games have had good attendance.

USA vs Canada is sold out.

how are we getting that the game is sold out? according to ticnet.se the only game sold out is the final. is it the ticket booths in the stadium saying this (?) b/c when i purchased a ticket to sweden vs russa they only had 2 sections available but when i got back to the hotel the website had seats in almost every other section. do they reserve a certain amount for online purchases?

Urgi

Dec 25, 2008
How do you guys like sweden so far? what are you doing in your freetime? :)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
lots of fireworks right now. I live just beside the famous "rosengård"...its a warzone. imagine when the clock is 00.00 :laugh:

Harks

Oct 27, 2010
Malmö
lots of fireworks right now. I live just beside the famous "rosengård"...its a warzone. imagine when the clock is 00.00 :laugh:

Yeah, they're really at it round here! Going on for hours now :D

On another note. Is there any place I can buy a cheap tre kronor jersey now that the wjc's in town? Attending the finals this weekend and don't want to put out 500-600 SEK at Intersport or stadium just for theese games!

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Yeah, they're really at it round here! Going on for hours now :D

On another note. Is there any place I can buy a cheap tre kronor jersey now that the wjc's in town? Attending the finals this weekend and don't want to put out 500-600 SEK at Intersport or stadium just for theese games!

i have mine at all times in front of TV or pub so just get one. I bought the blue one in Stockholm when i was there :D The best looking one there is.

Jonnieboy15

Nov 8, 2013
Stockholm
We'll be watching the Winter Classic at Fagans pub next to Best Western Noble House. Really nice and small Irish pub with good beer. If you're looking to watch the game somewhere go there!

Happy new year!

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
We'll be watching the Winter Classic at Fagans pub next to Best Western Noble House. Really nice and small Irish pub with good beer. If you're looking to watch the game somewhere go there!

Happy new year!

Anyone at Fagans now? Were a bunch of guy there right at this moment. Cozy place. Feel right at home :)

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Canadians that traveled to Malmö; Experience?

With all those Canadians that have traveled to Malmö, do any of them post on this board

I'm mostly interested with what their experience has been both inside and outside of the rinks.
Unless you're attending every single game of the tournament, you probably have boat loads of time around the city

Maybe point me towards a blog or something of the sorts

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

With all those Canadians that have traveled to Malmö, do any of them post on this board

I'm mostly interested with what their experience has been both inside and outside of the rinks.
Unless you're attending every single game of the tournament, you probably have boat loads of time around the city

I did not go but it looks beautiful on T.V.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I attended Germany-Czech and Canada-Slovakia today and both game there were over 2000 in the stands, Canada's game 3500. Some games are gonna be less attendance on but you need to spread the tournament around for the sport to grow. For example all over Malmö there are flags and info about the tournament which gets the "average swede" to open their eyes to the game to! Let's go Sweden!

They should have had the group games in two cities (e.g. Gothenburgh and Stockholm) and the quarters etc in Malmö. It would have helped the attendence and also contributed to the PR.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

I attended 4 games in Malmo during the preliminary round. I am from Canada but am living in London UK this year for school so it was an easy jaunt over for games. Myself, my gf, and a close buddy from Canada who came over for the tournament stayed in Copenhagen and made day trips across the strait to see games.

I had been to one other WJHC tournament, 2009 in Ottawa, so that was my frame of reference.

Overall I thought the tournament's atmosphere, excitement level, fan support, and general 'event-like' feeling were off the charts. Even in Denmark, tons of people who saw us in our team Canada jerseys came up to us and asked about the tournament; many were very knowledgeable about the game and the scores and such. In Sweden, things were even more rabid with flags, Sweden jerseys, posters, and signs everywhere you went. Before our first game (Sweden-Finland), we went into the Emporia Shopping Center for a quick lunch. Hundreds of Swedish hockey fans everywhere in the place and most sports stores had plenty of hockey apparel (mainly Swedish stuff though which makes perfect sense).

Inside Malmo Arena the atmosphere was absolutely ridiculous with every person in the stands waving a flag in unison, organized chants (any Swedish posters care to enlighten me as to what is being said when a small group of spectators chant out something and the rest of the crowd responds by chanting something back?) and general rowdiness that wouldn't be out of place in the Stanley Cup Final (though with a European twist certainly). The Swedish fans were extremely knowledgeable, booing (or should I say whistling!) and cheering at the right times and in the right context.

The game was a blast and totally opened my eyes up to how popular the game is in Scandinavia. In fact I would argue the atmosphere was better than anything I had experienced in hockey in North America. Beats the absolute pants off ANY Sens game that's for sure (in terms of atmosphere and general fan excitement/investment).

Between Ottawa in 2009 and Malmo 2014 I would have to say Malmo 2014 was much more enjoyable from a fan's perspective. Great atmosphere, fantastic arena/city (s) to party in, and great fans from all over.

Attendance of course dropped for the Russia-Switzerland game that followed, but not by as much as some people above are griping about. The lower bowl was almost completely full and the upper deck was still pretty strong. From what I remember in 2009, this was absolutely typical and not exclusively a Malmo problem. Canadians are just as bad about not showing up to games they wouldn't normally be interested in....

On the 30th we attended Canada-Slovakia, and Czech Republic - Germany. Both stellar games and the 2000 odd Canadians who made the journey over made it all even better. A fun time but perhaps lacking the big time feel of Malmo Arena. I did prefer the Isstadion's additional complexes housing bars, restaurants and the fan zone which was fun to walk around in. I felt more like I was at an on-going tournament in the Isstadion than Malmo Arena where I think more could have been done outside the actual gate.

I liked Malmo but preferred Copenhagen as a city of course. Malmo felt a bit too much like Ottawa in that there is a solid downtown core but basically not much else going on. The area around Malmo Arena seems pretty underdeveloped but I would imagine it's an on-going process a la CTC area in Ottawa. The Swedes were friendly but very reserved and generally did not start conversations with us. There was also a greater language barrier in Malmo compared to Copenhagen. Most danes spoke very fluent English that was almost american in terms of accent, but we found that even in places like the Malmo Emporium, people had trouble with English; we had to do a little dance of hand gestures to order pad thai in the food court. This is of course fine and mainly an inconvenience for us specifically rather than a problem.

I have about 300 pictures I could show you but am having trouble uploading anything right now onto HFboards. I will update when I can get some up there.

If I was to leave this with one final point: host more WJCs in Europe. Hell host the next 5 there. Despite the naysaying Canadians on here who don't want to have to wake up early for games, people in Europe DO care about the tournament, and the only way to bring it up to the same level as in Canada is to increase the presence. The fans in Malmo Arena were every bit as rabid and excited as Canadians are when the tournament is hosted back home; but they need more.

Obviously this will involve a cutback in revenue (pending final figures from this tournament in terms of attendance/profit) for a time, but to be quite honest, all Canadians gain from hosting more tournaments is more irrelevance as a competition. The more Canada hosts it, the less others will care, and the less meaning winning it will have. Dollar figures be damned.

Malmo has shown how well Europe can do a WJHC. I for one would love to see it back there as soon as possible.

Cheers.

Pgust

Nov 19, 2013
Stockholm
I liked Malmo but preferred Copenhagen as a city of course. Malmo felt a bit too much like Ottawa in that there is a solid downtown core but basically not much else going on. The area around Malmo Arena seems pretty underdeveloped but I would imagine it's an on-going process a la CTC area in Ottawa. The Swedes were friendly but very reserved and generally did not start conversations with us. There was also a greater language barrier in Malmo compared to Copenhagen. Most danes spoke very fluent English that was almost american in terms of accent, but we found that even in places like the Malmo Emporium, people had trouble with English; we had to do a little dance of hand gestures to order pad thai in the food court. This is of course fine and mainly an inconvenience for us specifically rather than a problem.

Sound like you had a great time :)

Haha, how Swede isn't that? :D

fc05c93286e10da65e9f3e3ce36404d997290265b38031ddedabcacfde2ea6fd.jpg

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Any Swedish posters care to enlighten me as to what is being said when a small group of spectators chant out something and the rest of the crowd responds by chanting something back?

I'm not 100% sure about what you heard but it tends to be something like: "Are you ready, other side?" with the response "You bet we are!".

Sounds pretty corny in translation but at least it rhymes in Swedish.

Jocke

Feb 9, 2010
I attended 4 games in Malmo during the preliminary round. I am from Canada but am living in London UK this year for school so it was an easy jaunt over for games. Myself, my gf, and a close buddy from Canada who came over for the tournament stayed in Copenhagen and made day trips across the strait to see games.

I had been to one other WJHC tournament, 2009 in Ottawa, so that was my frame of reference.

Overall I thought the tournament's atmosphere, excitement level, fan support, and general 'event-like' feeling were off the charts. Even in Denmark, tons of people who saw us in our team Canada jerseys came up to us and asked about the tournament; many were very knowledgeable about the game and the scores and such. In Sweden, things were even more rabid with flags, Sweden jerseys, posters, and signs everywhere you went. Before our first game (Sweden-Finland), we went into the Emporia Shopping Center for a quick lunch. Hundreds of Swedish hockey fans everywhere in the place and most sports stores had plenty of hockey apparel (mainly Swedish stuff though which makes perfect sense).

Inside Malmo Arena the atmosphere was absolutely ridiculous with every person in the stands waving a flag in unison, organized chants (any Swedish posters care to enlighten me as to what is being said when a small group of spectators chant out something and the rest of the crowd responds by chanting something back?) and general rowdiness that wouldn't be out of place in the Stanley Cup Final (though with a European twist certainly). The Swedish fans were extremely knowledgeable, booing (or should I say whistling!) and cheering at the right times and in the right context.

The game was a blast and totally opened my eyes up to how popular the game is in Scandinavia. In fact I would argue the atmosphere was better than anything I had experienced in hockey in North America. Beats the absolute pants off ANY Sens game that's for sure (in terms of atmosphere and general fan excitement/investment).

Between Ottawa in 2009 and Malmo 2014 I would have to say Malmo 2014 was much more enjoyable from a fan's perspective. Great atmosphere, fantastic arena/city (s) to party in, and great fans from all over.

Attendance of course dropped for the Russia-Switzerland game that followed, but not by as much as some people above are griping about. The lower bowl was almost completely full and the upper deck was still pretty strong. From what I remember in 2009, this was absolutely typical and not exclusively a Malmo problem. Canadians are just as bad about not showing up to games they wouldn't normally be interested in....

On the 30th we attended Canada-Slovakia, and Czech Republic - Germany. Both stellar games and the 2000 odd Canadians who made the journey over made it all even better. A fun time but perhaps lacking the big time feel of Malmo Arena. I did prefer the Isstadion's additional complexes housing bars, restaurants and the fan zone which was fun to walk around in. I felt more like I was at an on-going tournament in the Isstadion than Malmo Arena where I think more could have been done outside the actual gate.

I have about 300 pictures I could show you but am having trouble uploading anything right now onto HFboards. I will update when I can get some up there.

If I was to leave this with one final point: host more WJCs in Europe. Hell host the next 5 there. Despite the naysaying Canadians on here who don't want to have to wake up early for games, people in Europe DO care about the tournament, and the only way to bring it up to the same level as in Canada is to increase the presence. The fans in Malmo Arena were every bit as rabid and excited as Canadians are when the tournament is hosted back home; but they need more.

Obviously this will involve a cutback in revenue (pending final figures from this tournament in terms of attendance/profit) for a time, but to be quite honest, all Canadians gain from hosting more tournaments is more irrelevance as a competition. The more Canada hosts it, the less others will care, and the less meaning winning it will have. Dollar figures be damned.

Malmo has shown how well Europe can do a WJHC. I for one would love to see it back there as soon as possible.

Cheers.

Great post, thanks! I've lived in both Sweden and Denmark and I agree that Swedes are more reserved than Danes. However, I don't believe Danes speak better English. Maybe it's just Malmö :nod:

Last edited:

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
I'm not 100% sure about what you heard but it tends to be something like: "Are you ready, other side?" with the response "You bet we are!".

Sounds pretty corny in translation but at least it rhymes in Swedish.

In Malmö I think the small standing section said:

"Are you ready, you in the seating sections?"

I have always found that chant very corny and lame. Especially since it's often run a few times in a row with boo's from the "asking" side if the other side/seating sections don't answer loud enough.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
In Malmö I think the small standing section said:

"Are you ready, you in the seating sections?"

I have always found that chant very corny and lame. Especially since it's often run a few times in a row with boo's from the "asking" side if the other side/seating sections don't answer loud enough.

Maybe it's because I'm from North America (land of the "cheer only when the big screen thing tells me to"), but I absolutely loved it! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad