OT: 2014 Weather Thread.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
How can you dislike Yak? He's like a puppy... always doing stuff that makes you smile. :)

made me think of this meme lol

who-is-awesome.jpg

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
could be worse...we could be Calgary:

4:29 AM MDT Tuesday 09 September 2014
Snowfall warning in effect for:

City of Calgary

Snowfall, with total amounts of 10 to 15 cm is expected.

Another round of snow is expected to develop over southwestern Alberta tonight as an upper disturbance moves in from British Columbia. Accumulations of 10 to 15 centimetres of snow are expected with the system, although local amounts over 20 centimetres are possible over higher terrain. The snowfall will taper off Wednesday afternoon as the system moves south out of the province.

Be prepared to adjust your driving with changing road conditions. Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas. Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight. For information on emergency plans and kits go to http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
could be worse...we could be Calgary:

Friends of ours are in London getting on a plane for Calgary then driving to Edmonton after the trip from hell in Europe. Everyone got sick and they had bad weather. Then they arrive in Calgary and all that expected snow then having to drive it for four hours home. I feel bad for them.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Friends of ours are in London getting on a plane for Calgary then driving to Edmonton after the trip from hell in Europe. Everyone got sick and they had bad weather. Then they arrive in Calgary and all that expected snow then having to drive it for four hours home. I feel bad for them.
That's to bad, the weather has been horrible this summer in Munich and the rest of Europe.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Is it me or does it seem like Calgary's been getting hit with worse weather events than Edmonton in the last few years?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the one good thing about not being close to the mountains (higher elevations) is that we usually don't get early snowfalls like Calgary:

BxLZIsCCAAApZ2O.jpg

thats insane!!

That road looks like a piece of **** and I'm not saying that because of the snow. Looks like suicide on a good day.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
the one good thing about not being close to the mountains (higher elevations) is that we usually don't get early snowfalls like Calgary:

BxLZIsCCAAApZ2O.jpg

thats insane!!

That's 17ave on the very west end of town...

I live in the area. It is UGLY here today.

At my office in Bragg we have 14" of snow and it's still going. Ugh

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Did you know.............???

Is it me or does it seem like Calgary's been getting hit with worse weather events than Edmonton in the last few years?

I said this before......being closer to the mountains for Calgary means more average snowfall on a yearly basis, colder average night temperatures than Edmonton; the only advantage Calgary has is that we have to stop over in cowtown because of flight paths to pick up more people!

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
I said this before......being closer to the mountains for Calgary means more average snowfall on a yearly basis, colder average night temperatures than Edmonton; the only advantage Calgary has is that we have to stop over in cowtown because of flight paths to pick up more people!

Actually, it's far warmer in Calgary throughout the winter than it is in Edmonton. Chinooks play a huge part in that. So, yes we may get more snow but come March Edmonton is socked in while Calgary is typically snowless and brown.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Big snow in May. Big snow in September. Yup. That's basically only three months of the year you can get by without snow in Calgary, really pathetic.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Actually, it's far warmer in Calgary throughout the winter than it is in Edmonton. Chinooks play a huge part in that. So, yes we may get more snow but come March Edmonton is socked in while Calgary is typically snowless and brown.

These charts disagree with you. Calgary gets more days of snow in March than Edmonton.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weath...nowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php

http://www.currentresults.com/Weath...nowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php

Ouch those pics of Calgary look brutal.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Despite myths that Calgarians love to spread, Edmonton and Calgary experience about equally terrible weather.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
Despite myths that Calgarians love to spread, Edmonton and Calgary experience about equally terrible weather.

Have you lived in Calgary? I lived in Edmonton for 20+ years and Calgary for the last 10+. There is no dispute that Calgary winters are milder.

Not a shot of any sort at Edmonton it's simply the truth.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Have you lived in Calgary? I lived in Edmonton for 20+ years and Calgary for the last 10+. There is no dispute that Calgary winters are milder.

by what...a couple degrees? so instead of -20 in Edmonton...it's -17 in Calgary...way better :shakehead

plus, we don't get May snowstorms nor September ones :sarcasm:

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
You guys, with this *****ing about the weather, are bringing a snowstorm to Edmonton.

And it's going to be so much ******* worse.

Ugh.

(But I love the snow. ...)

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

I have.

I've also lived in both cities at the same time (half the week in Edmonton, half the week in Calgary). 95% of the days I started in Edmonton and ended in Calgary (or vice-versa) resulted in a temperature change of one to three degrees.

Non-anecdotally a simple google search reveals that the average highs and lows are within a few degrees of one another every month of the year:

http://weather.sg.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:CAXX0054

http://weather.sg.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:CAXX0126

Both cities experience about equally horrible weather. If you'd like confirmation of this fact take a look out your window and then take a look at your calendar.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Edmonton winters have seemed milder of late as well. Maybe it is more of an Alberta thing instead of one city vs the other. Both cities are cold and dark during their long winters. There isn't a huge difference. The chinooks help out in Calgary, but they only happen several times a year, so it's basically a difference of a handful of days.

Edmonton does get much deeper snow though, because we don't have those melts. Perhaps that is what fuels the difference in perception between the two cities?

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Have you experience............???

Milder day time temperatures (because of Chinooks) but has anyone measured the Night Time temperatures in Calgary?..........way colder (because being closer to the mountains).

People do go out at nights don't they...............in Calgary???

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Calgary gets more serious conditions. Massive flooding in Calgary and Southern Alberta much more common for instance the disaster that took place not long ago.

Calgary much more susceptible to flooding as rivers in southern alberta don't have the same depth of banks as for instance North Sask River. Rivers cresting in Southern Alberta bringing a degree of calamity NEVER seen to this extent in Edmonton.

Next Calgary is arid usually with many hills and poor soil conditions and not nearly as many trees meaning that when it does rain a lot nothing is keeping the water from creating havoc. Whereas in Edmonton we have excellent soil conditions that absorb more water and few extreme hills (mostly in river valley) much of Calgary is susceptible to water run off from hills, flooded areas, even some mudslides.
When it isn't raining for a long time in Calgary also the problem of dust storms blowing in from the foothills when its really arid.
I would say Calgary, particularly west end a whole lot windier in general.

Really property insurance in Calgary should be much more expensive than it is in Edmonton. If it isn't already some adjustments should be made. Not that flooding is covered in most policies in anycase. Back up is covered, not usually flooding.

ps over 25000 Calgarians had an extended blackout due to this storm and trees falling on power lines all over the city. Stated to take weeks to clean all this mess up and get things back to normal. This degree of calamity happened in Edmonton once in my lifetime. Everybody knows the date.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
by what...a couple degrees? so instead of -20 in Edmonton...it's -17 in Calgary...way better :shakehead

plus, we don't get May snowstorms nor September ones :sarcasm:

Calgarys snow melts off during chinooks so they really have far less snow build up to deal with. Other than the chinooks they get their weather is pretty much equally as ******. But dealing with less snow is definitely a bonus for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad