1986-21
1987-18

2009-6
2010-7
2011-5
2012-7
2013-4
2014-3

Looks as though the 1980's was the ultimate hot spot for Tornadoes in Alberta.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
What stands out to me this summer - July, anyway - is how many fantastic evenings we've had. Seems to me the summertime norm is to hit >25C, and you're almost guaranteed to follow it up with storms after dinner. I don't have a problem with a cool down, especially given that I don't have a/c, but I'm loving hitting the deck after dinner with a brew or two.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What stands out to me this summer - July, anyway - is how many fantastic evenings we've had. Seems to me the summertime norm is to hit >25C, and you're almost guaranteed to follow it up with storms after dinner. I don't have a problem with a cool down, especially given that I don't have a/c, but I'm loving hitting the deck after dinner with a brew or two.

and

no

mosquitoes.

This summer has been heaven from an Edmonton perspective. Eating late dinner outside whenever we want. Not getting swarmed by skeeters, wasps, storms.

Virtually perfect weather and conditions.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
southwest the wind is whippin but not rain yet, can see flashes as well, sky is that eerie sort of grey

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Wow very loud thunder, I have been waiting for one of these for a while! It's about time.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah nice for it to happen before Folk Fest but less nice for it to happen as I'm cycling home. Wet as a dog

you're right. let's hope the Folk fest doesn't have a lot of rain. it really puts a damper on the weekend. no pun intended.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
you're right. let's hope the Folk fest doesn't have a lot of rain. it really puts a damper on the weekend. no pun intended.

I used to love the folk fest probably attended about 7 or 8 years in a row but have not really liked what it has become. Still great for the die hards I'm sure.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Looks like the temperature is gonna go back up after tomorrow.

Looks like another couple of weeks of really nice weather.

And yeah, no mosquito's or wasps around my yard, so it's setting up to be one of the nicest summers that I can recall. And I've lived here for over 35 years.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I used to love the folk fest probably attended about 7 or 8 years in a row but have not really liked what it has become. Still great for the die hards I'm sure.

I'm not exactly happy with what it's become either, and I'm one of the die hards. not as much fun once it became the trendy cool place to party and be seen, instead of the focus being on the music.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Violent destructive storms seem to peak in July. Don't have statistical evidence, but I'm in the insurance business, and I can tell you from memory nearly all of the bad stuff happens prior to August 1. Not to say August is not without incident, but I would bet a bottom dollar that once you get past July, the destructive storms abate by about 60 %.

As for it being a fantastic summer weather wise and bug wise, I would agree, it has been great so far. But I see inklings of a wasp issue on the horizon. The pesky buggers are starting to make their way out to forage food etc for the winter ahead. Usually they start in August and peak in the next few weeks. The weather we've had, although wonderful, has done nothing to curb their eventual numbers.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Saw a massive, golf ball sized bee the other day and nearly **** my pants.

If I hate hot weather for any one reason, it's the ******** insects that come out of the woodwork.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Speaking of wasps... yesterday I was walking through the bush along a local creek and one foot fell into a beaver run... so as I stood there dumping out the water from my boot I felt a sharp pain on top of my foot... didn't register right away what it was... but then I realized my lower pant leg was covered in black and white things. :)

Hoofed it out of there in a hurry running through the nettle and thistle with just a sock on my left foot... shaking my leg to rid myself of all the critters stuck to it.

Not sure what type of wasp... I assume one of these:

http://www.insectsofalberta.com/wasps.htm

Arctic Yellowjacket or Blackjacket as their nest was down inside the old beaver run coming out of the creek.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
This summer has been good in terms of mosquitoes but last night was freakin horrible. Played bball with my son in the evening and we couldn't last more than 15 minutes.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Speaking of wasps... yesterday I was walking through the bush along a local creek and one foot fell into a beaver run... so as I stood there dumping out the water from my boot I felt a sharp pain on top of my foot... didn't register right away what it was... but then I realized my lower pant leg was covered in black and white things. :)

Hoofed it out of there in a hurry running through the nettle and thistle with just a sock on my left foot... shaking my leg to rid myself of all the critters stuck to it.

Not sure what type of wasp... I assume one of these:

http://www.insectsofalberta.com/wasps.htm

Arctic Yellowjacket or Blackjacket as their nest was down inside the old beaver run coming out of the creek.

Likely blackjackets. I have had more then a few run ins with those buggers. I remember one time I was helping my dad herd a few cows back to the house that broke out of the field and wandered into the trees. One of the cows broke off from the group and I went to drive he back when I stepped in one of their nests. They didn't start stinging until we reached the edge of the trees but they came in full force. I had to run close to a mile around the trees, over two fences before I got back to the house with some 15 stings. And even after I got into the house they still were trying to get at me, my dad had to enter in the back door because they were still buzzing around the front door.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
This summer has been good in terms of mosquitoes but last night was freakin horrible. Played bball with my son in the evening and we couldn't last more than 15 minutes.

Yeah, last night was pretty freaking horrible. Hell worse than even in the mountains where I was last week.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
LMAO. You just knew that as soon as people start talking about what a great summer it's been for (lack of) mosquitos, etc, that we get whacked with a bunch of them.

Agreed with the above posts, last night was a bugger - over at the neighbours for beers and got eaten alive.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Likely blackjackets. I have had more then a few run ins with those buggers. I remember one time I was helping my dad herd a few cows back to the house that broke out of the field and wandered into the trees. One of the cows broke off from the group and I went to drive he back when I stepped in one of their nests. They didn't start stinging until we reached the edge of the trees but they came in full force. I had to run close to a mile around the trees, over two fences before I got back to the house with some 15 stings. And even after I got into the house they still were trying to get at me, my dad had to enter in the back door because they were still buzzing around the front door.

:amazed:

That's scary.

As for Nexttothemoon's wasps, the only thing I really know is that those yellow jackets have a green head, so if it didn't it wasn't a yellow jacket (I don't think so..anyways). Them suckers bite hard.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
:amazed:

That's scary.

As for Nexttothemoon's wasps, the only thing I really know is that those yellow jackets have a green head, so if it didn't it wasn't a yellow jacket (I don't think so..anyways). Them suckers bite hard.

Ya... I didn't look too closely... too busy running and limping and shaking my leg... would have made a good YouTube video... a new type of Harlem Shake trend maybe. :)

From what I saw though... they were just black and white and reading the description of their type of nest... I agree with The Head Crusher... blackjackets sounds like the culprits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad