Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Just watched some videos from the 1996 World Cup of Hockey and got wood.

And to think your friends wondered why your wife bought you a copy of that series for Valentines Day.

:)

Viagara better watch out!!!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I like Peters team but I'd make one change in the forward group. I still like Jason Pominville over James van Riemsdyk and bump Pacioretty down a line.

Parise-Kesler-Kane
Pominville-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Backes-Ryan
Oshie-Stastny- Brown
Callahan

I'm not huge on Stastny, but right now I don't see another center knocking him off the team.

Pominville and Kane essentially take the center's creative duties, but on the wings. Kesler and Pavelski are both skilled, can score and provide excellent defensive presence. The 3rd line provides a large physical yet skilled counter weight to any team. The top 3 lines can all score and are all defensively very solid.

The other guys I'd swap with Peters team is Faulk for Shattenkirk and Yandle for Byfuglien. I personally just have never been a huge fan of Byfuglien's game for whatever reason. I think Yandle is a perfect 7th defenseman to add an outstanding offensive game. I've also never been high on Shattenkirk's game as well, but I'm in a major man crush with Faulk.

Suter-Johnson
McDonaugh-E. Johnson
Orpik-Faulk
Yandle

The goalies look fine except I see

Quick
Miller
Schneider

as I said a bit above, I think Colin Wilson is making a solid case for his name to be in the mix for a center position...he is playing very well right now and brings that size we lack down the middle. not the sexiest name to throw out there, but the kid is improving all the time and could be that guy to replace a Stastny next year.

I also really dont see how Erik Johnson makes this team right now. Its not the lack of points he is putting up that worries me, it just seems that he really isnt that complete overall stud that we hoped for years back. He is certainly in the mix, but I think he is going to have a hard time making this team next year if guys like Bogosian, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Byfuglien, Carlson, etc all continue to step up and play well..

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
as I said a bit above, I think Colin Wilson is making a solid case for his name to be in the mix for a center position...he is playing very well right now and brings that size we lack down the middle. not the sexiest name to throw out there, but the kid is improving all the time and could be that guy to replace a Stastny next year.

I also really dont see how Erik Johnson makes this team right now. Its not the lack of points he is putting up that worries me, it just seems that he really isnt that complete overall stud that we hoped for years back. He is certainly in the mix, but I think he is going to have a hard time making this team next year if guys like Bogosian, Shattenkirk, Fowler, Byfuglien, Carlson, etc all continue to step up and play well..

If Wilson continues his 60 point pace between now and February he will knock Stastny off the team no question. But he has to do it longer than 16 games.

Johnson is kind of underrated. People seem to want him to be Chris Pronger due to draft position and pre draft assessments. However I watch Colorado and he is basically the only competent defender on the team. People say that Bogosian is playing better than the numbers indicate, and I sort of take their word for it since I rarely see Winnipeg games. It's a similar situation with Johnson. The game against Nashville was so painful to watch as the Avalanche just had 6 turnstiles on D.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
If Wilson continues his 60 point pace between now and February he will knock Stastny off the team no question. But he has to do it longer than 16 games.

Johnson is kind of underrated. People seem to want him to be Chris Pronger due to draft position and pre draft assessments. However I watch Colorado and he is basically the only competent defender on the team. People say that Bogosian is playing better than the numbers indicate, and I sort of take their word for it since I rarely see Winnipeg games. It's a similar situation with Johnson. The game against Nashville was so painful to watch as the Avalanche just had 6 turnstiles on D.

Your assessment is spot on IMO. People like to knock EJ way too much because he was picked number one overall.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Pacioretty- Pavelski- Kessel
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan

I gotta think JJ's on this team.

The center depth scares me a bit. I like the talent on the backend. Mobile puckmovers should be an asset on the bigger ice surface.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Suter- Faulk
Fowler- Shattenkirk
McDonagh- EJohnson
Carlson- Yandle

Parise- Kesler- Kane
Ryan- Stepan- Pominville
Brown- Backes- Callahan

Like it except needs more JJ. Fowler and Shattdeuces22 isn't a good pairing though. Swap one of those two out for JJ and that's a solid third pairing. Not enough Suter either.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So yeah, JVR and Kessel are on the team and need to be on the same line.

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
JVR has 11 goals on the season; Kessel's been on the ice for eight of them.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham

Could definitely see this. Who do you think plays Center, Stastny or Pavelski?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Could definitely see this. Who do you think plays Center, Stastny or Pavelski?

I would probably use Pavelski. Kessel is distributing the puck well in Toronto, he made several amazing passes last night. Pavelski gives a defensive solidity to the line and is not chopped liver himself offensively. Van Riemsdyk is looking like a replacement for Ryan Malone as a guy in front of the net.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
You didn't pick Jack Johnson, which is blasphemous. Stastny's been trending down but he's still better than Stepan at this point. The rest looks fine to me.

100% right about JJ. I must be missing something, why is EJ being included on so many rosters, and oftentimes over JJ? It's possible neither Johnson should be on the Sochi roster as I'm not convinced either is in our top-7. But, if you had to pick one of the Johnson's, wouldn't you say Jack is more deserving than Erik? At this point in their NHL careers I think Jack is the better player, although it's close. But all things being equal from a skill standpoint, Jack always answers the call for Team USA at the Worlds, whereas Erik does not. Jack could be tired, hurt, and badly needing a break, but he still answers the call for the Worlds every time. Meanwhile, Erik declined the past two seasons and if memory serves, once was so he could get non-emergency dental surgery, which is IMO a pretty lame excuse. Not on par with Umberger and his college degree, but lame nonetheless.

I think too many are enamoured by the fact EJ is a former #1 overall pick and are letting that cloud their judgment. And I'm not saying EJ isn't a good player, because he is. But, I can't see why people continue think he's in our top-7, and certainly can't see why people think he should be chosen ahead of JJ.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
100% right about JJ. I must be missing something, why is EJ being included on so many rosters, and oftentimes over JJ? It's possible neither Johnson should be on the Sochi roster as I'm not convinced either is in our top-7. But, if you had to pick one of the Johnson's, wouldn't you say Jack is more deserving than Erik? At this point in their NHL careers I think Jack is the better player, although it's close. But all things being equal from a skill standpoint, Jack always answers the call for Team USA at the Worlds, whereas Erik does not. Jack could be tired, hurt, and badly needing a break, but he still answers the call for the Worlds every time. Meanwhile, Erik declined the past two seasons and if memory serves, once was so he could get non-emergency dental surgery, which is IMO a pretty lame excuse. Not on par with Umberger and his college degree, but lame nonetheless.

I think too many are enamoured by the fact EJ is a former #1 overall pick and are letting that cloud their judgment. And I'm not saying EJ isn't a good player, because he is. But, I can't see why people continue think he's in our top-7, and certainly can't see why people think he should be chosen ahead of JJ.

They are different types of player.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham

Erik Johnson is severely underrated. The hype with the first pick and all that jazz and nonsense. He's a very solid player and his skillset isn't in line with JJ. JJ will be on the team regardless because he is the heart of American hockey and a solid leader and blueliner to boot. Our D corps is stacked but Erik Johnson, though I really do enjoy JJ's style of play, is much more dynamic and coupled with the fact that he's a hell of a skater will probably make him part of this team.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Erik Johnson is severely underrated. The hype with the first pick and all that jazz and nonsense.

You must be an Avs fan if you believe the first pick stuff is "nonsense." Are you wearing a Joe Sakic jersey now? It is "casual Friday" after all.

I am not saying EJ isn't a good player. He is a very good player. But honestly, is he one of our best 7? I don't think so, and I'm not full of "nonsense" for thinking that. He is a former #1 overall pick that finished 16th (that's right...SIXTEENTH) in scoring among American defensemen last season and who has only represented his country once in the World Championships (2007) despite having multiple opportunities to do so. With that resume, if he wasn't a former #1 overall pick his name wouldn't be on anyone's lips right now when discussing this roster.

I hope EJ eventually becomes the elite defenseman we all thought he would be. I really do, it would be great for USA Hockey to see that. But right now he's a good but not great player at a position where we have had so many players develop since Vancouver 2010. "Severely underrated" are not the words I would use to describe him. More like "hasn't lived up to his potential and is not one of our top-7, although we still all hold out hope he will be considered alongside Leetch and Chelios when he retires."

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
You must be an Avs fan if you believe the first pick stuff is "nonsense." Are you wearing a Joe Sakic jersey now? It is "casual Friday" after all.

I am not saying EJ isn't a good player. He is a very good player. But honestly, is he one of our best 7? I don't think so, and I'm not full of "nonsense" for thinking that. He is a former #1 overall pick that finished 16th (that's right...SIXTEENTH) in scoring among American defensemen last season and who has only represented his country once in the World Championships (2007) despite having multiple opportunities to do so. With that resume, if he wasn't a former #1 overall pick his name wouldn't be on anyone's lips right now when discussing this roster.

I hope EJ eventually becomes the elite defenseman we all thought he would be. I really do, it would be great for USA Hockey to see that. But right now he's a good but not great player at a position where we have had so many players develop since Vancouver 2010. "Severely underrated" are not the words I would use to describe him. More like "hasn't lived up to his potential and is not one of our top-7, although we still all hold out hope he will be considered alongside Leetch and Chelios when he retires."

I wasn't insinuating that you were full of nonsense. I was saying that the whole first overall pick makes people think that if he's something short of paul coffey he's a complete bust which is unfortunate. I don't think you think that.

Also I am not an Avs fan. I think he was playing well and developing quite nicely prior to injury. It really comes down to the camp and whether or not USA hockey will think he's a suitable fit. Even if he's out of the top six, if rosters jump to 25 i think there's a good chance he can be in the press box.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Erik Johnson doesn't have to be one of the great defenseman we have ever produced (and it's kind of doubtful he ever will be anywhere close to that) to be on the team.

Bullwine85

Jan 3, 2013
Neenah, WI

I would probably use Pavelski. Kessel is distributing the puck well in Toronto, he made several amazing passes last night. Pavelski gives a defensive solidity to the line and is not chopped liver himself offensively. Van Riemsdyk is looking like a replacement for Ryan Malone as a guy in front of the net.

Two players from the state of Wisconsin along with one of my most liked American players? Yes please.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham

If it really does go JVR Pavs Kessel that's a third line with alot of get up and go. Effective offensively with a responsible center. Three 30 goal (assuming JVR reaches that prorated) NHL scorers on the same line could be the forgotten thing going into this Olympics for the US. Our forward core is just going to be structured so well IMO. The top six are exactly what you look for from a top six with a third line full of skill and goal scoring and fourth line that can shut down and block shots.

Started doing PP and PK units just cause I'm bored at work. The difficult thing is trying to decide the fourth forward. Amazing that I'm saying this but all jokes aside,

a Kane-Kesler-Kessel line would be unreal IMO.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
If it really does go JVR Pavs Kessel that's a third line with alot of get up and go. Effective offensively with a responsible center. Three 30 goal (assuming JVR reaches that prorated) NHL scorers on the same line could be the forgotten thing going into this Olympics for the US. Our forward core is just going to be structured so well IMO. The top six are exactly what you look for from a top six with a third line full of skill and goal scoring and fourth line that can shut down and block shots.

Started doing PP and PK units just cause I'm bored at work. The difficult thing is trying to decide the fourth forward. Amazing that I'm saying this but all jokes aside,

a Kane-Kesler-Kessel line would be unreal IMO.

I like the Kane- Kesler - Parise line because it lets Kane have the puck and the other guys are fine with that. Kessel likes to have the puck and he likes to distribute. I don't think having him and Kane in the same line is a good idea just like I didn't like him and Stastny last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad