Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
don't get me wrong..as a hawks fan i'd love to see him make the team :nod:

re your goal situation - leaving aside the #3 spot, are you guys all pretty certain that miller and quick are guaranteed to make the team? also...re 1/2 spot...how does USA Hockey work on that sort of thing (I don't know a lot about the politics/mentality involved in your own federation)...are they more democratic and will they wait to see who looks best...or is miller likely to be the #1 unless Quick convinces them otherwise?

by way of contrast...i think there's disagreement on the boards how Hockey Canada will handle things. I think most Cdn fans assume Price and Luongo will be there...but i see people saying that Price is likely to be #1 b/c he'll likely be better than Luongo. I, on the other hand, think that no matter what Luongo will be given the first shot at #1 b/c Hockey Canada simply works that way.

^^ isn't meant to bore you w/ the minutiae of the Cdn situation - but simply as an example of why i'm wondering how the dynamics of USA Hockey work.

Probably going to go with whoever is having the better season at the time. I don't think Miller or Quick are guaranteed a spot on the team. I mean if we fast forward to February 2014 and Quick still has a .895 sv% and Corey Schneider has a .923, I think it's not inconceivable that Schneider makes the team, or at least gets up the depth chart on Quick. Miller had a slightly abnormally good season in 2010. Yes he is a good goalie, but his career sv% is .915. In 2010 it was .929. In the three years prior and three years since 2009-2010 these were his numbers

I know sv% isn't the be all and end all of a goalie's ability but Miller's numbers are fairly consistent.

Throw in a potentially healthy and motivated Craig Anderson? No, in my opinion the #1 and 2 spots aren't locked up.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Probably going to go with whoever is having the better season at the time. I don't think Miller or Quick are guaranteed a spot on the team. I mean if we fast forward to February 2014 and Quick still has a .895 sv% and Corey Schneider has a .923, I think it's not inconceivable that Schneider makes the team, or at least gets up the depth chart on Quick. Miller had a slightly abnormally good season in 2010. Yes he is a good goalie, but his career sv% is .915. In 2010 it was .929. In the three years prior and three years since 2009-2010 these were his numbers

I know sv% isn't the be all and end all of a goalie's ability but Miller's numbers are fairly consistent.

Throw in a potentially healthy and motivated Craig Anderson? No, in my opinion the #1 and 2 spots aren't locked up.

personally, I think its Miller's job to lose. simple as that.

no matter the stats, Miller is the guy that stood on his head in international competition. he withstood the pressure something we arent sure how the others can do. granted Quick would seem the most likely to do it as he just won the Cup and handled that pressure just fine, but as I said I think its Miller's ball until he proves he cant handle it.

I also like you including Anderson on the list as very few people are throwing his name out there...and I cant imagine why they arent listing him more...he isnt a fluke, he has been doing this for a few years now and is healthy. he isnt over the hill as he is 31 years old...Tim Thomas just started coming into his own around this age.

I get the love for Schneider, I really do, but Anderson seems the more logical choice right now as he has more experience is playing even better and has been for 2 years, and Cory has plenty of years left to be one of our star goalies...no need to rush him in there just yet.

the way it is right now, I think our 3 goalies are : Miller, Quick, and Anderson...and I really think that would be the best overall 3 in the tournament. and if something happens injury wise to any of those 3, we have Schneider and Howard right behind them as well...also the mysterious Tim Thomas may pop back next year or even for this years WC. the US is goalie rich again and I love it! sad Ben Bishop has to play behind Anderson as he should be another stud NHL starting goaltender.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
personally, I think its Miller's job to lose. simple as that.

no matter the stats, Miller is the guy that stood on his head in international competition. he withstood the pressure something we arent sure how the others can do. granted Quick would seem the most likely to do it as he just won the Cup and handled that pressure just fine, but as I said I think its Miller's ball until he proves he cant handle it.

It's a shame too. I feel like the guy has just had bad luck. I'm not using it as excuse, he plays for my division rival. I do think that he will come back motivated, especially considering his play go around. He was far and away the best player in the last Olympics. I feel bad as he hasn't been terrible for the Sabres, then again he could have been better. He's removed from his best years, but in a short tourney, could get hot and win the job again.

and Ben Bishop has to play behind Anderson as he should be another stud NHL starting goaltender.

Agreed! Bishop should have a starting job somewhere. I have no doubt of that.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
o/t - i know this is way premature...but what's your D-depth like if the NHL goes to Korea in 2018? I know that question seems a bit far out...but i'm just asking b/c it seems like you have a pipeline full of offensive talent (including current prospects) and a solid goal tending situation..but outside of Jones & Trouba do you have much depth re D at the much younger end?

AmericanDream;62704171[B said:
]personally, I think its Miller's job to lose. simple as that.[/B]

I also like you including Anderson on the list as very few people are throwing his name out there...and I cant imagine why they arent listing him more...he isnt a fluke, he has been doing this for a few years now and is healthy. he isnt over the hill as he is 31 years old...Tim Thomas just started coming into his own around this age.

I get the love for Schneider, I really do, but Anderson seems the more logical choice right now as he has more experience is playing even better and has been for 2 years, and Cory has plenty of years left to be one of our star goalies...no need to rush him in there just yet.

the way it is right now, I think our 3 goalies are : Miller, Quick, and Anderson...and I really think that would be the best overall 3 in the tournament. and if something happens injury wise to any of those 3, we have Schneider and Howard right behind them as well...also the mysterious Tim Thomas may pop back next year or even for this years WC. the US is goalie rich again and I love it! sad Ben Bishop has to play behind Anderson as he should be another stud NHL starting goaltender.

the one thing that's come to my mind re Canada (and it would apply to the US as well) is the impact that the Olympics being held in Russia will have...just b/c i'm guessing there won't be a lot of time b/w the NHL ending their games and the players having to be in Russia...and are the north american-based teams going to want comfort in experience when it comes to who's in goal?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
So what do you americans say about the chance of seeing Pominville on the team? I know he's in a funk right now on a more than lacking Sabres team, but what do you think of the situation? Solid on the PK, can produce and play solid defense in the right environment.

Last edited:

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
o/t - i know this is way premature...but what's your D-depth like if the NHL goes to Korea in 2018? I know that question seems a bit far out...but i'm just asking b/c it seems like you have a pipeline full of offensive talent (including current prospects) and a solid goal tending situation..but outside of Jones & Trouba do you have much depth re D at the much younger end?

Well the good news about the US team coming into the next Olympics and by extension, into Korea is that our D Core is still relatively young. In terms of depth going into the 2018 games, I think USA Hockey will have even tougher decisions to make. At that point you'll have people like Jack Johnson, Ryan Suter, Alex Goligoski, and Keith Yandle above 30 with people like the aforementioned Jones, Trouba waiting and someone like Fowler a probable and Erik Johnson another probable.

Along with those players, there's a youth core coming up that will be pushing 21 at that point that might be a bit too green, however at this point, it's pretty stacked. Names to look out for:

Noah Hanifin
Casey Fitzgerald
Troy Henley
Christian Evers

Fitz and Hanifin are both commited to BC. Couple of 97s. Evers is a big kid, especially for his age. Keep an eye on him.

Bonney can fill you in a bit more I'm sure...

the one thing that's come to my mind re Canada (and it would apply to the US as well) is the impact that the Olympics being held in Russia will have...just b/c i'm guessing there won't be a lot of time b/w the NHL ending their games and the players having to be in Russia...and are the north american-based teams going to want comfort in experience when it comes to who's in goal?

It's a solid question for sure. There's a small debate coming about in terms of who gets the nod. Miller's obviously comfortable however he is nowhere near as good as he was. Right now I think Quick would be the favorite. Next year though I think that Schneider will make a run for it, given the opportunity.

I'd like to see what Ben Bishop can do personally in a starting role in the NHL. I don't really think it's a possibilty though. He doesn't have nearly enough time and there are Too many quality keepers playing in front of him. Anderson, Quick, Schneider, Miller...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->