2014 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Trade Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Why I'm pissed

The Gaborik trade in itself isn't bad. I think Kekalainen actually got the most value when you look at what everybody else ended up getting (even if I don't think it was worth giving up on Gaborik for). But at some point, you've gotta stop taking the prema-build approach, take the risk, and try to win now.

I understand why Kek wanted to get the picks but if he's truly interested in "protecting the franchise" and even if he considers Gaborik a risk, he'd have let the Gaborik trade run it's course. It's not a good idea to evaluate a guy based on 4 games back. No **** he looked a little bit slow, the guy hadn't really played since November. The Gaborik trade may never have looked good on paper if it was allowed to go on for 20 more games but keeping him and seeing what happened seems like a better option than a 2nd round pick and more depth. Should have taken the practical approach here.

In addition, the "hurr durr, Gaborik is a malcontent and an issue" view isn't false and I'm genuinely concerned about how the team responds to a well-liked guy getting booting a guy out of locker room and getting thrown under the bus by Kekalainen in a press conference.

But given what really pisses me off about this trade is that, even if Gaborik wasn't fitting in here, why didn't Kekalainen use some of those picks and try to bring in a Matt Moulson/Thomas Vanek. Seeing what those guys are going for, would it have killed Kekalainen to take throw a 2nd and a 3rd for Matt Moulson who may have been a better fit? He should have rolled the dice again. Gaborik would have brought 5-8 goals down the stretch and drawn attention away from Joey/Horton. Matt Frattin isn't going to do that.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The way i take the protecting the franchise comment is that if Gaborik were to get hurt, or continue to float and not produce at all(notice how i said if) than come end of the season whether we made the playoffs or not we would get nothing for him. This way we get a roster player, and 2 picks in a "deep" draft. This past draft we got Heatherington and Bjorkstrand with our 2nd and 3rds. Idk i think Frattin will fit in with the blue collar style the club has flourished under. Its when we try to get pretty that we struggle.

My major problem with that is that it's looking 6 months too far in the future.

All eyes should be on making the playoffs right now. What makes us better NOW without mortgaging our future (trading away 1sts, Dansk, Wennberg, Rychel, etc.). If we're talking about losing a measly extra 2nd or 3rd, that's fine as long as we are 110% focused on making the postseason. Considering that focus, we traded Gaborik for pieces which won't help us in the short term (and the value of a 2nd or 3rd is debatable if they'll even help us in the long run).

In that same vein, I'm kinda disappointed we didn't make a move for a better backup goaltender like Halak or a guy like Cammalleri or Vanek with Gaborik leaving.

The front office seems sure that the Jackets WILL make the playoffs. I'm not so sure we do and felt like we need a kick in the pants to get above our competition. We didn't receive that and instead acquired a guy who is just like 2 others currently sitting in the press box.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Glad I'm not the only person questioning this statement. Vanek goes for a conditional pick and a nobody prospect in Europe and Moulson is traded for a UFA 4th liner. Trading a similar player/pick that Montreal and Minnesota gave up would not be even a bump in the road for this team.

I wouldn't call Sebastian Collberg a nobody prospect, since he's been a high profile prospect in Sweden, but one that's not lived up to the hype. He's clearly been passed by Alexander Wennberg on the Frölunda depth chart. He made his SEL debut in 2010 as a 16 year old, has done well against juniors but nothing in the SEL/SHL.

Maybe the Islanders really like Collberg and it's too early to call him a bust (I'd compare him to Jocke Lindström) but I'd guess that the number of teams who wanted Vanek was limited or he would only accept being traded to specific teams because Collberg certainly is no longer a coveted prospect. Certainly you'd expect him to return a better prospects. But Collberg is the type of player a team might risk for a rental.

The Jackets could have offered Dano + a conditional pick, but what's the point of trading assets just to get another big name player who may not fit on the team and doesn't want to be here?

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Other teams seemed to do better but sometimes at a cost that we didn't want to pay? If that was the case I can live with it. I definitely didn't want to trade top prospects for a rental to try and get into the playoffs because I just don't see a prolonged run should we get in.

I am ok with today. I would have liked to see another move or two, but this is just the case of Jarmo staying the course and cutting losses with Gabby. This team will get a shot at making the playoffs and hopefully make it. Either way, I think this sets up well moving forward for the draft and off season. Jarmo will have a lot of flexibility at the draft, be able to maintain the core, and base moves on how the team responds to the playoff run and hopefully the playoffs. The team is moving in the right direction and that did not change today.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I like how things turned out for us ... even moreso than last year. I posted in both the Gaborik and Schultz threads, but here's my thoughts...

1. We got a solid return for Marian Gaborik, I feel. Nobody was going to give up a 1st rounder for a guy who's been hurt all year and only has 6 goals. Potential aside, we weren't keeping Gaborik beyond this year, and we got a couple of draft picks for him.

2. Adding to that thought, I think Matt Frattin is a better player than he's getting credit for. He's comparable to Blake Comeau, and will fit right into our systems and locker room, and should contribute something to the team. He won't replace Gaborik's scoring threat, but we all saw that we can win without Gaborik, and at least Frattin provides us depth.

3. For me, the Nick Schultz acquisition was one of the under appreciated wins of the day, for the entire league. We take a low risk (a 5th round pick) and turn it into a serviceable #4/5 defenseman that immediately makes us a better defensive zone team. I've always been a fan of Schultz; he's a quiet, stay at home guy that adds a little bit of size and will put pressure on some of the guys ahead of him to play better. And, he's an excellent fill-gap while Tyutin and Murray are out. Solid, solid trade in my book.

4. The minor deal in sending away Smith and Marchessault also helps us long-term. Taormina provides a little more blueline depth (has some NHL experience), and Tyrell is a Jarmo type of player that should provide us the ability to call him up and fill in, if injuries pile up. With the guys coming to Springfield next year, we had no more need for Smith or Marchessault.

I really like the day. I'm sorry some of you feel differently, but I think we came out a deeper, steadier team - especially on defense. Let the Kings have Gaborik ... I wish him nothing but the best, but with as many people as I saw wanting to see him dealt for something, I think you'll be less disappointed when the team hits the ice again. He just wasn't making a difference for us.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
The concerns I have with us not improving the team was the performance last night. We had a fortunate 1st period capitalizing on a couple mistakes by the Stars, and then nearly sh it ourselves the rest of the game with a 1 shot 2nd period. 1 shot?! We're going to need to have Bob be a Vezina goalie the rest of the season

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
The concerns I have with us not improving the team was the performance last night. We had a fortunate 1st period capitalizing on a couple mistakes by the Stars, and then nearly sh it ourselves the rest of the game with a 1 shot 2nd period. 1 shot?! We're going to need to have Bob be a Vezina goalie the rest of the season

We're going to end this season saying "gee, if we had Gaborik/Moulson/Vanek/Whoever, we would have made the playoffs/not bowed out in 4-5 games." Book it.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
no ones on any ledge, i still think this team will make the playoffs because gaborik added nothing.. but not sure how you can argue that this trade deadline wasnt a failure in regards to asset management and not taking advantage of a buyers market

disagree with your analysis.. our 3 main competitors (rangers, caps, flyers) got better. philly gets one of the top shot blockers in the game, nyr gets a recent art ross winner, and the caps get a #1 goalie.

I don't disagree that New York improves quite a bit with St. Louis. They do get smaller, though. The other two? Not so sure the goalie matters a lot in DC. that seems to be where goalies go to die, and if halak is truly a #1, the blue wouldn't have moved him. Macdonald? Plan the parade? Bleah.

I didn't see anything that looked like bad asset management today. I'm not sure you understand what that is.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
We're going to end this season saying "gee, if we had Gaborik/Moulson/Vanek/Whoever, we would have made the playoffs/not bowed out in 4-5 games." Book it.

In a year or two we'll be glad we didn't trade someone from the core or a high pick for one of these rentals. I'm perfectly fine going ahead as is. I'd much rather do that than try to work in some guy who doesn't really fit the team. The strength of the CBJ is team play, not individuals.

Hipster Letestu

Aug 2, 2009
Westerville
I like how things turned out for us ... even moreso than last year. I posted in both the Gaborik and Schultz threads, but here's my thoughts...

1. We got a solid return for Marian Gaborik, I feel. Nobody was going to give up a 1st rounder for a guy who's been hurt all year and only has 6 goals. Potential aside, we weren't keeping Gaborik beyond this year, and we got a couple of draft picks for him.

2. Adding to that thought, I think Matt Frattin is a better player than he's getting credit for. He's comparable to Blake Comeau, and will fit right into our systems and locker room, and should contribute something to the team. He won't replace Gaborik's scoring threat, but we all saw that we can win without Gaborik, and at least Frattin provides us depth.

3. For me, the Nick Schultz acquisition was one of the under appreciated wins of the day, for the entire league. We take a low risk (a 5th round pick) and turn it into a serviceable #4/5 defenseman that immediately makes us a better defensive zone team. I've always been a fan of Schultz; he's a quiet, stay at home guy that adds a little bit of size and will put pressure on some of the guys ahead of him to play better. And, he's an excellent fill-gap while Tyutin and Murray are out. Solid, solid trade in my book.

4. The minor deal in sending away Smith and Marchessault also helps us long-term. Taormina provides a little more blueline depth (has some NHL experience), and Tyrell is a Jarmo type of player that should provide us the ability to call him up and fill in, if injuries pile up. With the guys coming to Springfield next year, we had no more need for Smith or Marchessault.

I really like the day. I'm sorry some of you feel differently, but I think we came out a deeper, steadier team - especially on defense. Let the Kings have Gaborik ... I wish him nothing but the best, but with as many people as I saw wanting to see him dealt for something, I think you'll be less disappointed when the team hits the ice again. He just wasn't making a difference for us.

I like everything you say here and feel pretty much the same way. I think Schultz will fit in just fine and add some needed experienced depth on the blueline. Now when someone is injured we won't need to count on an inexperienced player to fill the gap.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
The Gaborik trade in itself isn't bad. I think Kekalainen actually got the most value when you look at what everybody else ended up getting (even if I don't think it was worth giving up on Gaborik for). But at some point, you've gotta stop taking the prema-build approach, take the risk, and try to win now.

I understand why Kek wanted to get the picks but if he's truly interested in "protecting the franchise" and even if he considers Gaborik a risk, he'd have let the Gaborik trade run it's course. It's not a good idea to evaluate a guy based on 4 games back. No **** he looked a little bit slow, the guy hadn't really played since November. The Gaborik trade may never have looked good on paper if it was allowed to go 20 games but keeping him and seeing what happened seems like a better option than a 2nd round pick and more depth. Should have taken the practical approach here.

In addition, the "hurr durr, Gaborik is a malcontent and an issue" view isn't false and I'm genuinely concerned about how the team responds to a well-liked guy getting booting a guy out of locker room and getting thrown under the bus by Kekalainen in a press conference.

But given what really pisses me off about this trade is that, even if Gaborik wasn't fitting in here, why didn't Kekalainen use some of those picks and try to bring in a Matt Moulson/Thomas Vanek. Seeing what those guys are going for, would it have killed Kekalainen to take throw a 2nd and a 3rd for Matt Moulson who may have been a better fit? He should have rolled the dice again. Gaborik would have brought 5-8 goals down the stretch and drawn attention away from Joey/Horton. Matt Frattin isn't going to do that.

Can you provide a quote where Jarmo threw him under the bus? I have seen the press conference and I don't see what you are referring to

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Gabby was so bad why did he play in every game he was healthy for? JUST WONDERING.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
Port'a tweeted comments several times throughout the year that some of the younger players were caught up in Gabby's "Rockstar" image and that the team was concerned about if negatively effecting the team. I wonder if it had something to do with that.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Most likely that he couldn't lose an expiring asset for nothing. Gaborik wasn't a fit and wouldn't be signed...

He could. Contending teams do it all the time. It's weighing the value of a second round pick (using it in a hockey move) versus the whole playoff run.

He obviously chose to see what this room could do because he didn't help it.

The locker room saw a goal scorer leave and nothing come back. We'll see how they respond. We're in a good spot right now. But a team like Detroit continues to fight with injuries; but they just helped stabilize things with the addition of Legwand. Wonder if Zetterberg and Datsyuk both being out for most, if not all, of this month will be their undoing.

Hemsky probably wasn't what Ottawa needed. We'll have to see how Washington responds with their moves. Tampa is finally getting Stamkos back, but their in a bit of slump right now. Not sure Callahan is really what they needed. Montreal addressed a big need. The Rangers added some additional scoring that they really need. The Flyers ended up with a better defensmen then we did.

Most of the teams around us tried and improve. We mainly added questionable D depth until we get Tyutin and, hopefully, Murray back.

I guess JK/JD just lived up to their promise of no rentals. That 5th for the Sergeant doesn't really count.

Overall not a good day for the Jackets at the deadline. We saved some cash, maybe added a couple of bargaining chips for trades, and I the questionable D depth. I hope the Sergeant uses this as a chance to solidify his game. He's going to have and environment in which he can succeed.

jacketsfan77

Sep 12, 2007
Delaware, OH
If Gabby was so bad why did he play in every game he was healthy for? JUST WONDERING.

I dont mind the gaborik trade. At the time of the trade he was a zero factor for the jackets. Mainly because he was injured. I think an injury free year from gabby would have done wonders for this team, but it was not to be. He was in every game, when healthy, because he was their most skilled player. The move didnt work and now its time to move on.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Can you provide a quote where Jarmo threw him under the bus? I have seen the press conference and I don't see what you are referring to

"Protect the future of the franchise" If this was about retaining value, why did he acquire Nick Schultz? Why not trade MacKenzie who probably won't be re-signed as we give his spot to a younger, cheaper player.

Was he Rickie Incognito or something? Sounds cryptic.

Why not start this tonight? I know someone will.

Hey, when I see Umberger fumble the puck on a breakout or blow his 13,000th odd man rush of the season, maybe I'll be the one too start it. :naughty:

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
yeah, Jarmo's comments are very strange, and totally different from what i've heard from Mixer etc...i don't get it...

Gaby was telling ppl that he felt like he had unfinished business here from being out and wanted to prove himself down the stretch..we'll see what kind of effect it has...

I agree with SL as well on Schultz...i think this pickup will be good for us...we needed another blue liner and got a servicable stay at home Dman...

IHeartZherdev*

I understand why Kek wanted to get the picks but if he's truly interested in "protecting the franchise" and even if he considers Gaborik a risk, he'd have let the Gaborik trade run it's course. It's not a good idea to evaluate a guy based on 4 games back. No **** he looked a little bit slow, the guy hadn't really played since November. The Gaborik trade may never have looked good on paper if it was allowed to go 20 games but keeping him and seeing what happened seems like a better option than a 2nd round pick and more depth. Should have taken the practical approach here.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad