2014 Trade Deadline Thread II (All General Trade Talk/Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I say we sit perfectly still and hope nobody notices us, that we may catch everybody by surprise. :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I say we sit perfectly still and hope nobody notices us, that we may catch everybody by surprise. :nod:

I agree. A young team that's still largely unproven shouldn't have a bunch of things done to it. It would be trading one unknown for another.

Columbus: the Jurassic Park T-Rexes of the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I still think the addition of a player like Bergenheim or Eller would be a good fit and would upgrade the roster along with being possible longer term pieces (Bergenheim less so as he is only signed through next year but Eller is a RFA).

I also like Kulemin but recognize he is a UFA and unlikely to be an option based on JD's comments.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't see anyone comment on the Eklund blurb regarding CBJ's interest in Yakupov from EDM. A pretty slow discussion is going on the mains but it's mostly focused on getting Jenner, Murray or Johansen (all with requested +'s :)) because of the immense potential of Yak.

Me? I still wouldn't mind a potential game breaker like Yakupov. I do think he's in a tough atmosphere in EDM where the culture is much like Columbus prior to the last two years... losing and lack of leadership. I don't know what assets I would part with and don't know ultimately what EDM would want but have to thing a veteran D man and some leadership type guys would need to be part of the deal. That pulls from the core right now. What a potential talent though...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn't see anyone comment on the Eklund blurb regarding CBJ's interest in Yakupov from EDM. A pretty slow discussion is going on the mains but it's mostly focused on getting Jenner, Murray or Johansen (all with requested +'s :)) because of the immense potential of Yak.

To be fair, I think the prospect that's been requested most frequently so far in actual discussion has been Rychel, and the most frequent roster player mentioned has been JMFJ. Murray's name has come up often, but that's mostly because of "witty" types engaging in lulz over a hypothetical 1st overall for 2nd overall swap.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio

Me? I still wouldn't mind a potential game breaker like Yakupov. I do think he's in a tough atmosphere in EDM where the culture is much like Columbus prior to the last two years... losing and lack of leadership. I don't know what assets I would part with and don't know ultimately what EDM would want but have to thing a veteran D man and some leadership type guys would need to be part of the deal. That pulls from the core right now. What a potential talent though...

I'm too concerned that he's Filatov Part II to want him. Pass.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I'm too concerned that he's Filatov Part II to want him. Pass.

Agreed. I don't know that I would completely pass on him, however the price would have to be really low. The biggest issue is a the fact that he doesn't seem to have any desire to do anything but score and that won't fly on this team, combine that with the fact that richards is a very tough love coach and I think yakupov would have a high likelihood of flaming out.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
We don't need goal scoring (wow that felt weird to say) and thats all Yakupov can do. Nty

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

At this point is Yak+, not the other way around. Johansen or Murray is laughable. I doubt we'd give up Jenner. They should probably be looking more at the defensive end. Plenty we can do there and it's not like Edmonton needs a forward back.

Me? I still wouldn't mind a potential game breaker like Yakupov. I do think he's in a tough atmosphere in EDM where the culture is much like Columbus prior to the last two years..

The issue with him is that we would probably want him down in Springfield to start off with. My guess is that his compete level isn't where we would want it.

Not really a deadline move. Would much rather make a move for him, if we were going to, during the off season.

He's certainly a better player than Filatov, so I don't think it's 2.0. I think he'll be in the NHL for a long time. I'm concerned about his compete level, which last I saw needed to improve if was going to be an elite player at this level.

I don't think the structure is there for him to flourish in Edmonton.

We have managed to work our way up to a 4 million contract at the deadline. We might be able to be an actual player.

Last edited:

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

Eklund's blurb is laughable. In fact, Eklund himself is laughable. Jenner, Murray and Johansen all have immense potential as well. It ain't gonna happen

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Eklund's blurb is laughable. In fact, Eklund himself is laughable. Jenner, Murray and Johansen all have immense potential as well. It ain't gonna happen

Just making sure you realized that Eklund didn't mention those players in return. The players in return part is just some laughable Edmonton fans.

I'm not sure it's laughable to suggest the Jackets might have kicked the tires a bit on Yak. I doubt it, but I'm not sure if it's laughable. No argument that Eklund is laughable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At this point is Yak+, not the other way around. Johansen or Murray is laughable. I doubt we'd give up Jenner. They should probably be looking more at the defensive end. Plenty we can do there and it's not like Edmonton needs a forward back.

Edmonton could really use guys who could infuse a more competitive culture en masse, kind of like what we got around the time of the Nash trade. Forwards aren't the top priority, but they'd be acceptable in that context.

Of course, that assumes that the front office is trying such a thing. They've got somebody up there who's shown he can do that, but he's not in a decision-making position up there.

The issue with him is that we would probably want him down in Springfield to start off with. My guess is that his compete level isn't where we would want it.

Not really a deadline move. Would much rather make a move for him, if we were going to, during the off season.

He's certainly a better player than Filatov, so I don't think it's 2.0. I think he'll be in the NHL for a long time. I'm concerned about his compete level, which last I saw needed to improve if was going to be an elite player at this level.

I don't think the structure is there for him to flourish in Edmonton.

Concur on all of the above, although depending on the price I wouldn't mind if it happened at the deadline regardless. No pressure to do it then, tho, IMO.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Concur on all of the above, although depending on the price I wouldn't mind if it happened at the deadline regardless. No pressure to do it then, tho, IMO.

True. He might end up as the 13th forward (maybe even 14th or 15th) down the stretch if a deal somehow came together. Would be interesting if he got left off the post season roster.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yak is a detriment to whatever team he is on. He publicly said it's not his job to play defence and when the coach cut back on his ice time, in comes his agent to insist he be given 18 minutes a night.

His mindset is terrible. I don't want him anywhere near this team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think for the right deal Yak could be worth a shot. Lots of guys have been panned early in their careers and have turned out okay (or at least appear to be doing so). Anyone remember a kid name of Johansen who as late as last spring had a 'tude?

As far as the Jackets scoring enough goals, I take that with a grain of salt. Lots of our goals are garbage goals, which while becoming more the norm, are nonetheless more subject to droughts for no reason other than geez no puck luck. A guy who can create his own offense is very valuable. Of course he'd have to develop some degree of defensive responsibility but I think that can be developed.

What would I give for him? One (or possible 2 D), Rychel or Dano and maybe a 1st. Some combination of that kind of asset. No top names from us. Long shot? Maybe, but worth a shot if the give is not too painful.

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights
I think for the right deal Yak could be worth a shot. Lots of guys have been panned early in their careers and have turned out okay (or at least appear to be doing so). Anyone remember a kid name of Johansen who as late as last spring had a 'tude?

As far as the Jackets scoring enough goals, I take that with a grain of salt. Lots of our goals are garbage goals, which while becoming more the norm, are nonetheless more subject to droughts for no reason other than geez no puck luck. A guy who can create his own offense is very valuable. Of course he'd have to develop some degree of defensive responsibility but I think that can be developed.

What would I give for him? One (or possible 2 D), Rychel or Dano and maybe a 1st. Some combination of that kind of asset. No top names from us. Long shot? Maybe, but worth a shot if the give is not too painful.

I would do Anisimov, Savard, and a 1st. They need a 2c, and a RH defenseman. All those assets are expendable IMO, and is fair.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

This. We've got a few guys who can do that (Johansen and Gaborik are the obvious names, and Horton and Atkinson are pretty decent), but adding another would certainly be welcome.

He doesn't need to be an Amazing Savior here; he just needs to learn a little. If he's willing to do that, I'm pretty convinced we could mold him into something really special.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah but you risk taking out the wrong piece and having the whole team topple like Jenga.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
Maybe, but it certainly is a risk.

Maybe, but this isn't the team of the past. I've seen mentioned several times that these guys are tight, as a group. If an outside guy came in, especially a young one, and wanted to be a problem, I think he'd get put in his place pronto. At that point the youngster has a choice. Change himself to fit the group or be shunned.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I am not worried about the effects of a player with a poor attitude coming in, I am worried about the effects of trading away a major part of the leadership core. This Jackets team reacts strangely in that way. Lose a guy like Gaborik and the team doesn't miss a step but when Calvert was out or Foligno missed some games, the team as a whole took a noticeable step backwards.

And that's exactly the type of return Edmonton would expect. They would want a package that includes Dubinsky instead of Anisimov. Or Foligno instead of Calvert, or Johnson instead of Nikitin. Those are not guys I would want the team to give up at this juncture.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

I'd buy low on him, and I wouldn't give much. Maybe Erixon and a couple of picks. Of course EDM refuses, but it is what it is. I see nothing so far that makes me want to deal a guy like Jenner for him. Nothing. I'd rather be patient with the forwards we have and add a proven talent at some point than trade potential for potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad